PDA

View Full Version : T300 Alcantara or Fanatec CSL elite?

hmmsk
09-04-2018, 15:40
Hey guys, opinions required!

Iím currently running with the T150, T3PAs, TH8PA on a wheelstand pro. Iíve modded my T3PAs with a BBJ brake mod, and also a custom wider brake pedal to ease left foot breaking while still being good for heel & toe.

Now my point Ė I want stronger FFB and honestly, its just really annoying I canít hard mount the T150. It sits OK, but e.g. when I do rally cross, it does tend to move where I need to move it back after every race.

Iím already on the Thrustmaster ecosystem, so a T300 would be easy. An Alcantara looks to be going for £360 or so. I reckon I can sell my T150 Pro set for around £100 on Ebay, so an additional net £260 cost to me. Doesnít sound crazy.

OR I can go for the (crazy) option of the CSL Elite and the whole shabang. I would want the shifter, and likely the handbrake as well (one of the drivers for me to think to get this is the handbrake). But shelling out nearly £1k for that + needing an additional piece for the Wheelstand pro just seems crazy. Donít get me wrong, I can afford it, but dishing out over £1k (say net £800 after I sell my Thrustmaster kit on ebay) just seems way too much to pay for what honestly is a silly hobby in the grand scheme of things (donít get me wrong, I love it). Now yes, you may tell me that I donít need the hadbrake, which brings the cost down, but that doesnít make a difference in my thought process. The marginal £150 or £200 whatever the handbrake costs doesnít matter THAT much. The problem I have here, though, is that from what I understand that handbrake is not even properly supported on most games, including Project Cars 2, AC, GT Sport... There is of course the chance that a PS4 compatible thrustmaster handbrake may end up coming along.

SO Ė what is there to really convince me to get the CSL? Is it going to change my life? Can I live with myself saying I spent a freaking grand on a silly hobby? My wife sings as a hobby and she dropped £250 on a quality mic, which compared to what I what to shell out seems cheap! It also looks to me like the CSL doesnít always work with games right off the bat Ė took them forever to get it fully supported for GT Sport. Is is really a Ďworld of a differenceí experience to the T300 + Alcantara? Will it really make me more consistent in coparison to the T300 (just the wheel) or even faster? I just canít get myself to think its worth it or even reasonable to drop that dough, even though I can afford it. I donít care enough for the LC pedals, I think my BBJ mod does quite a good job in an of itself. I have it setup to give me no travel w/o resistance, so working very nicely.

Any honest down to earth aand non-fanboy views appreciated. Thanks guys.

AbeWoz
09-04-2018, 15:45
I upgraded from the TM TX (T300 essentially) to the CSL Elite with LC Pedals and Formula Black rim, and it made the TX feel like a kids toy.
The build quality, FFB detail, everything is loads better IMO. Plus the actual quick release system makes swapping rims a breeze if desired as well as the ability to upgrade/add different parts in the future also makes it worth it.

I used my wheelstand pro before getting my GTOmega and just drilled the holes to hardmount the CSL base myself. Fanatec has a drilling template on their website for it.

But since you already have the TM equipment, it makes sense to stick with it and just get the T300. That alone will be a big improvement over the T150.

foxymop
09-04-2018, 17:01
How was the reliability of the TX wile you had it?

AbeWoz
09-04-2018, 17:08
How was the reliability of the TX wile you had it?

it was fine. it completely died after 2.5 years tho which is a shame. But I had zero issues until that point.

Minimitch
09-04-2018, 18:04
I have the T300 Alcantara Edition and love it, would probably go Fanatec though, they seem a step up

Madwak55
09-04-2018, 22:39
If you want stronger ffb then be wary of going for the T300 as there are many horror stories of them dying when the ffb is dialled up. I started on the T300 then moved to the T500 as the ffb was stronger and finally ended up on the CSL elite which blows both the T300 and T500 into the weeds. How I wish I had gone straight to the CSL and saved myself a boat load of money in the long run :(

foxymop
10-04-2018, 03:13
You get a good feed back in ps4 with the csl?

simsimsheree
10-04-2018, 07:20
If the issue is the wheel moving so you can't use higher FFB, have you looked into one of these?

https://www.ricmotech.com/hard_mount_adapter_for_T150_tmx_wheels_p/rmt-t150hmp.htm

$25 seems a lot easier to fly past the little lady than a few hundred!

sirio994
12-04-2018, 12:42
I bought the CSL Elite (coming from the G29 and after testing the T300). The T300 ffb is great too. I would go for the Fanatec for the Load Cell Pedals. It could sounds absurd but believe me. I couldn't believe when i upgraded the CSL Pedals: the load cell kit is the TRUE GAMECHANGER.

Pedals are more important than the wheel and the load cell kit with the CSL Elite is the best combination (you can set the weight and use the in-wheel tuning to set the travel)

thurlesdrunk
13-04-2018, 08:55
T150 hard mount - https://www.ricmotech.com/hard_mount_adapter_for_T150_tmx_wheels_p/rmt-t150hmp.htm

hmmsk
13-04-2018, 11:59
Thanks for the replies so far guys – for the time being I’ve ordered the 150 hard mount, but not sure this will be a permanent solution as I’m still mulling a more proper upgrade

Madwak55 – I see your setup uses the TH8PA shifter, I thought it doesn’t worked directly plugged into the PS4? Maybe I can get myself to think of switching to the CSL at half the £1k I mention for the full set, and just use the TH8PA with it? But I’m confused – I was just reading on the other thread on here about using the TH8PA as a handbrake that its not recognized if plugged into the PS4 seperately?

Mountie111
13-04-2018, 13:21
In my opinion and after my first Fanatec experience I would say not Fanatec, my Clubsport V3 brake pedal has developed sideways and up and down slop only after 10 weeks of ownership. I sent a video to Fanatec on their request and they say it is normal and are offering no help on the matter. IT has only started a week ago but makes driving very difficult as the pedal moved up and down and sideways before any brakes are applied, you never know when your initial brake application starts. I don't mind products having issues but it is how a company deals with it and to ignore and do nothing is not acceptable in my opinion. Is anyone else having these issues with their Fanatec Clubsport V3 pedals or Fanatec Warrany?

AbeWoz
13-04-2018, 13:33
In my opinion and after my first Fanatec experience I would say not Fanatec, my Clubsport V3 brake pedal has developed sideways and up and down slop only after 10 weeks of ownership. I sent a video to Fanatec on their request and they say it is normal and are offering no help on the matter. IT has only started a week ago but makes driving very difficult as the pedal moved up and down and sideways before any brakes are applied, you never know when your initial brake application starts. I don't mind products having issues but it is how a company deals with it and to ignore and do nothing is not acceptable in my opinion. Is anyone else having these issues with their Fanatec Clubsport V3 pedals or Fanatec Warrany?

had my fanatec products for 1.5 years with no faults, complaints, or gripes.
one of the guys I raced with had an issue with his v2.5 base and RMA'd it with Fanatec with no problems.

PocketZeven
15-04-2018, 19:27
Both TM and Fanatec have their issues. I always track the reliability of wheelbases online for when I want to upgrade and found the below issues frequently:

CSL elite: faulty optical sensor (calibration problems), Loose belt, crack around QR, software compatibility issues.

T300: overheating issue, dead (internal) powersupply, Random button press issues.

I have rarely found any issues online with the CSW V2.5 and TS-PC racer. So my recommendation is one of these. They are more expensive, but much more reliable for the money. If you don't have the money now, just enjoy your t150 for the time being.
Personally I invested in TM and have no complaints whatsoever. I own T-GT, TH8a, T3PA with Loadcell mod, TSS handbrake Sparco mod, TM Open Wheel Rim, 599 EVo rim. Only complaint is that TM doesn't have proper Loadcell pedals. I now use CSL elite Pedals, which are really great.

It is primarily a choice of ecosystem of which both have expanded greatly. Fanatec has the edge in higher quality gear, for which you obviously have to pay more accordingly. Thrustmaster has been going hard in the esports game. They have doubledowned on reliability and in most esport events Ts-pc racer seem the standard. On the ender end Fanatec is going to release a DD wheel this year, that will be compatible with almost everything in the ecosystem. In the end just chose which ecosystem you prefer.

wyldanimal
16-04-2018, 20:57
I had / Have a T300 - Many Issues with it.... I upgraded from that to a G29, Much Better Pedals, and a Better FFB feel ( not Stronger ), I added a Load cell to the Pedals...
Huge Improvement..
With the Drive Hub I was able to use the TH8A shifter with the G29 Wheel.

I've since Upgraded again to the CSL-E with the V3 Pedals.
To me It's Night and Day compared to the T300 or G29..

Thrustmaster or Fanatec ? - Fanatec Hands Down, no question.
I still use the Drive Hub, and am Able to use the TH8A shifter with the CSL-E on the PS4 Pro.

driveclub007
17-04-2018, 02:44
Hi Wyldanimal I agreed I two have had both wheels and fanatec wins hands down.I would be interested see what wheel and FFB settings you are using.
CHEERS DRIVECLUB007

CodeCmdr
17-04-2018, 16:47
I bought a Fanatec CSL Elite and received it yesterday. I only had time for half an hour with this new wheel in PCars2 last night, but the feeling was amazing! My previous wheel was a T150, which is fairly good, but the CSL Elite is much smoother.

With the T150, I wasn't able to control a Formula C car with patch 5.0 hard slick tires, but with the CSL Elite I'm able to do that because it gives me enough feedback to know how much speed I can carry through the corners without losing traction.

falm
20-04-2018, 13:14
Lot's of good opinions in this thread. I'm currently also using a T300 + Alcantara Rim. No issues so far.

But when it breaks some time in the future I'll go for a Fanatec CSL elite.

PhishHead
20-04-2018, 17:33
I ordered the CSL Elite for PS4 yesterday, migrating from a T300 RS so will update this thread once Iíve had a little time to get used to it.

Also ordered a CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 so that I can finally stink it up on the Xbox1X as badly as I am on the Pro!

Should have them next week....

Sum Dixon-Ear
21-04-2018, 00:03
I ordered the CSL Elite for PS4 yesterday, migrating from a T300 RS so will update this thread once I’ve had a little time to get used to it.

Also ordered a CSL Elite Steering Wheel P1 so that I can finally stink it up on the Xbox1X as badly as I am on the Pro!

Should have them next week....

I'm also looking forward to next week as my McLaren GT3 Rim should be sent out on Monday... I love getting new Fanatec stuff.

Robhd
21-04-2018, 08:40
I have had both Fanatec and Thrustmaster and the only issues with either was a dead powerbrick on the fanatec...

The only reserve i have is that fanatec seemed to have hiked their prices over the past few years, but this could be a mix of a shift up market and exchange rates

DervPM
21-04-2018, 09:10
Has anyone received his Mclaren GT3 rim jet?? Just read that mine has been shipped yesterday 20th.. I think it will be a game changer for the mid range sim wheel market.. Now just see if the postman comes from Germany or takes the slow boat from China..

wyldanimal
04-05-2018, 16:31
Has anyone received his Mclaren GT3 rim jet?? Just read that mine has been shipped yesterday 20th.. I think it will be a game changer for the mid range sim wheel market.. Now just see if the postman comes from Germany or takes the slow boat from China..

Got mine last Saturday the 28th.
I have the F1 Black to compare it too.

The GT3 is much lighter, so the FFB fidelity is a bit improved, Better
It's more responsive. I turned down the Spring and Dampening, and the DRI
So faster through the chicanes.

It's a larger Diameter, better in my opinion.

Because of the engineering delay, they sent the Quick release adapter.
I swapped that out straight away.

Probably the Only thing I can say negative, is the Grips are man made. I'd rather the Alcantara or Leather.
but it's minor..

Button Placement is good.
the Two buttons, Share and Option, are the Ones with the protective ring around them.
They take a Positive amount of Force to Press. ( same force as the Real wheel from what I read )

We just need for the Games, to patch in Full Support for this Rim and Base.

The orange Shift Paddle is nice. and it's up down on either side. you can Pull it or Push it.
so if you take one hand off the wheel for what ever reason, you can still up shift or down shift
single handed.

Right now, I luv the black Analog Paddles.
I use Mode C which is Brake and Accelerator.
This puts a fully functional analog Brake and Gas pedal at your finger tips.
Mid corner you can tap either one, to help you get round the corner if needed.

In the Other Modes, it doesn't seem to be supported yet by the Games.

PS. I'm using my CSL-E in purple mode ( Compatibility ) on the Drive Hub.
I found the FFB is better with the Drive Hub, than with out.

Be careful of the Green Mode. ( Xbox mode )
My Wheel ripped from my hands and Started bouncing full Lock to Full Lock
when I accidental put in Green Mode and Left it there for a few seconds.
Reach in Catch the Wheel, and Change the mode...

Right now, it my Favorite rim for the CSL-E base.

edit: I have a bunch of photos of my Fanatec gear. It's become an obsession.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArPFg5yKGdXimzTJck9xPhIoc6wm

also, I attempted a repair.
my V3 pedals don't sync with the base, whenever there is a firmware upgrade.
I read that it might be the RJ45 port.
So I took them apart to see if there was a problem.
re-soldered the port just in case.
So far Seems ok. the pedals synced up.

I wrote to Fanatec about the issue, got an automated response, but no live person response.
And since it only happens after a update I just let it go..
Getting the New GT3 wheel, I had to upgrade the Firmware.
New Wheel needs new software..
the V3's were not syncing up. So I thought, now is good a time as any to dive in..

https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArPFg5yKGdXiniVER86FvfiZoSqn

Sum Dixon-Ear
04-05-2018, 17:35
Probably the Only thing I can say negative, is the Grips are man made. I'd rather the Alcantara or Leather.
but it's minor..

I've seen a couple of people complain about this, which I find a wee bit odd. The wheel is an almost exact replica of the actual McLaren GT3 rim (only real difference is that the middle-top dial is swapped for the OLED tuning display)... the McLaren rim doesn't have Alcantara or leather, it has exactly the same rubber grips as the Fanatec does... why would Fanatec change that?

wyldanimal
09-05-2018, 15:15
but it's minor..

I've seen a couple of people complain about this, which I find a wee bit odd. The wheel is an almost exact replica of the actual McLaren GT3 rim (only real difference is that the middle-top dial is swapped for the OLED tuning display)... the McLaren rim doesn't have Alcantara or leather, it has exactly the same rubber grips as the Fanatec does... why would Fanatec change that?

I think if I were driving the real car, I would have a good set of leather racing gloves on. So my hands wouldn't feel the Man Made grips directly.
I'm not in to wearing Driving Gloves while Sim Racing.
So My Hands Do, feel the Man Made grips.

Perhaps it's time to find a nice pair of comfortable, breathable driving gloves.
My hands sweat a bit, and that combined with the man made grips doesn't make for a great combination.
So Any suggestions for a good set of driving gloves that are reasonably priced?

I've looked before, but the ones I found, were of course, expensive.

Sum Dixon-Ear
09-05-2018, 16:21
I think if I were driving the real car, I would have a good set of leather racing gloves on. So my hands wouldn't feel the Man Made grips directly.
I'm not in to wearing Driving Gloves while Sim Racing.
So My Hands Do, feel the Man Made grips.

Perhaps it's time to find a nice pair of comfortable, breathable driving gloves.
My hands sweat a bit, and that combined with the man made grips doesn't make for a great combination.
So Any suggestions for a good set of driving gloves that are reasonably priced?

I've looked before, but the ones I found, were of course, expensive.

I always use good quality summer mountain biking gloves... usually very lightweight XC ones with no padding and good ventilation. They are cheap, comfortable and great for sim racing.

Icetiger_72
09-05-2018, 21:58
I use the Mechanix Wear Grip gloves. They provide superb grip on inner side of your hand. The downside is that I sweat inside the glove quite well, so after two weeks of racing in the evenings the gloves smell like an old ice hockey glove. So I use an antibacterial spray for shoes from time to time ...

DervPM
10-05-2018, 15:41
I always use good quality summer mountain biking gloves... usually very lightweight XC ones with no padding and good ventilation. They are cheap, comfortable and great for sim racing.

Ditto on the gloves, but the GT3 wheel is the first one that I prefure to drive without gloves.. There is so much grip..

hmmsk
26-06-2018, 07:22
So, i’ve just ordered the T-GT. reason why is that i found a deal online, and I’m already in the ecosystem with my shifter. Hoping to sell my T150 Pro for around £100-£150. Will comment here on how the T-GT turns out. I know people will say I’m a fool because of the load cell, but my BBJ brake mod is plenty good IMO. And perhaps most importantly - i dont think thrustmaster ever has compatability issues with games, where fanatecs do, so lets see.

Olijke Poffer
26-06-2018, 17:04
For me it is about the same. Will I Buy a fanatec cls or a TM RS-PC wheel... definitely I buy the Fanatec CSL Elite Pedals LC but I can’t make up my mind on the wheel choice.

Comming from the same T150 Pro with the T3PA pedal set and a T8HA shifter, any thing above this is a win situation of course. The TM T-GT Comes with pedals and I do not need them as I will buy the Fanatec..

Choices, choices, choices. ;)

wyldanimal
27-06-2018, 16:18
... T8HA shifter, ... pedals ... I will buy the Fanatec..

Choices, choices, choices. ;)

I see you are on PC so mix and match should be no problem there.

But should you want to use it on PS4
Make sure to get the collectiveminds Drive Hub.
With it, you can Mix and Match vendor Accessories, Use the T8HA, and Fanatec Pedals together.
( To use More than One Accessory, put a USB hub in the Accessory port, then plug in the USB accessories, the TH8A and the Fanatec Pedals. )

Note: If one of the Accessories is supported directly by the Wheel Base,
then connect that Accessory to the Wheel Base.
That is Better, than using the Drive Hub to connect it.

PS4 example,
Fanatec Base with Fanatec Pedals, TH8A in Accessory port
G29 Base with G29 Pedals, TH8A in Accessory Port

Olijke Poffer
27-06-2018, 16:43
I see you are on PC so mix and match should be no problem there.

But should you want to use it on PS4
Make sure to get the collectiveminds Drive Hub.
With it, you can Mix and Match vendor Accessories, Use the T8HA, and Fanatec Pedals together.
( To use More than One Accessory, put a USB hub in the Accessory port, then plug in the USB accessories, the TH8A and the Fanatec Pedals. )

Note: If one of the Accessories is supported directly by the Wheel Base,
then connect that Accessory to the Wheel Base.
That is Better, than using the Drive Hub to connect it.

PS4 example,
Fanatec Base with Fanatec Pedals, TH8A in Accessory port
G29 Base with G29 Pedals, TH8A in Accessory Port

Thanks. I already made up my mind. Ordered the csw v2.5 with the loadcell pedals and the csl elite xbox wheel base.
Since I have a PC I do not race on my PS4 anymore. Only PC in VR..