PDA

View Full Version : Howdy, FNG (youíll figure it out), here

LittleWatt
09-04-2018, 19:17
Howdy, all. Iím new to PC2, only four days of racing with this new-to-me platform. Iím a Gran Turismo convert in a way. Mostly because I last enjoyed Gran Turismo at GT5. But enough of all that. Iíve had a rude awakening with Project Cars 2 thus far with its much different driving mechanics from GT. Iíve managed to get through the Ginetta Cup and onto the Clio Cup. Ouch! Just from those cars alone I can see Iíve much work to do. Add the fact Iím not too thrilled with the bumper cam of PC2 so Iím adjusting that as well.

Anyway after my awful first two races with the Clio, I decided itís best to begin again and take more time with the tuning aspect of this game. I went to free practice and played a bit with the Ginetta 40 car and did far better times (but surely off the pace still) down in the 1:16s but consistently in the 1:17s at Outland Park for the first race.

I play on PS4 Pro with a G29 wheel.

John Hargreaves
09-04-2018, 19:38
GT bumper cam is good, but the one in PC2 is quite low for actual driving. Cockpit cam in PC2 is much better than GT, maybe try that.

LittleWatt
09-04-2018, 20:02
Been playing with that and the hood cam.

banner77amc
09-04-2018, 20:11
When I first converted to Project Cars from GranTurismo I practiced over and over again with the cockpit camera because its the most engrossing. Eventually you find that the helmet camera is even better and drive in that view because it helps lead you to the corners. Reduce the vibration or else it will possibly frustrate you with the fuzz at acceleration or deceleration.

Now that I have PC2 its an even better experience altogether.

A note on the clio... verify that you have the car on stable setup. If you are not used to it, the car will swing the back end out on braking with any slight angle of the wheels. I fought really hard through that series until I set it up for stable.

John Hargreaves
09-04-2018, 20:14
I think it's in the regs that the Clio rear tyres have to be made from mahogany :rolleyes:. It does take a special driving technique to be sure.

LittleWatt
09-04-2018, 20:58
I searched all over to make sure the back wasn’t looping around on just me. Seems it oversteers on everyone before a setup.

I’m really enjoying the hood cam through one race. I’ll switch things around on the next one.

g.stew
09-04-2018, 23:29
A note on the clio... verify that you have the car on stable setup. If you are not used to it, the car will swing the back end out on braking with any slight angle of the wheels. I fought really hard through that series until I set it up for stable.

There are brakes on the clio? But really, the only time you really use the brakes on it are to create that lift-off oversteer. Just brake in a straight line, take a late apex, let the back end start to slide until you are lined up where you want to go, then apply throttle to drag it back in line.

Anyway after my awful first two races with the Clio, I decided itís best to begin again and take more time with the tuning aspect of this game.

Don't give up on the clio. You just need to get a feel for it and then you'll be pushing it hard in no time. Next time it starts to slide, give it more throttle and you'll feel it come back. Drive a couple of corners and try to cause oversteer and then give it more throttle it to pull it back. Once you get the feel for it you'll be flying.

I had actually never driven the clio before last week. I started trying at sugo against AI at 90 strength and 100 aggression. If I took it easy for a couple laps trying to warm the tyres (which was hard itself without crashing), I was still only able to get within 5 seconds of the AI. I gave up and tried again the next day but focused on trying to cause oversteer and correct it. Once I got a couple good slides to correct with the throttle, I knew where the edge of grip was and how to control it. I was qualifying pole after a few more laps trying to push the track limits.

Once you get the feel for it, it's a really fun car to drive. You'll be forcing the car to oversteer instead of trying to avoid it.

Also, you shouldn't have to worry too much about a setup with it. This was with the default loose. It's definitely drive-able with the default. I'd work on figuring it out without changes before you make any. It won't help to make changes to a car when you aren't putting in consistent laps with it.

cpcdem
09-04-2018, 23:48
I second everything stew said! Just to add, the Clio was discussed here also just after PCARS2 was out and somebody posted a video of real life Clios racing and they were simulating very precisely the way they work in the game :). So it's the way the real thing works, very difficult at first, but a blast when you are used to driving them!

blinkngone
10-04-2018, 00:36
Hi LittleWatt, as others have been advising the Clio is usually pretty good at Oulton Park Fosters. Most of the leaders in Time Trial are running Default.
http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=2273942801&vehicle=3646257473

simsimsheree
10-04-2018, 06:02
I searched all over to make sure the back wasn’t looping around on just me. Seems it oversteers on everyone before a setup.

I’m really enjoying the hood cam through one race. I’ll switch things around on the next one.

Having come from GT5/6/S, but having played Shift1/2 before GT5, I could never understand why PD would never give us a proper hood cam. Shift did, and it was great! It is so much easier to see if your car's attitude is skewed and you are drifting or losing the back end a bit, something much harder to notice in bumper cam.

Without VR or a triple screen, cockpit is unrealistically blinkered (IMHO), but hood cam can come pretty close to what you'd see through a car's windshield. Don't like being in the center of the car? Just move your chair and wheel to one side of the screen!

Currently, with GTS's penalties being as draconian as can be, bumper cam in GTS is a bit dangerous, because it is very difficult to judge exactly how close you are to the car in front. Some cars' bumper cam allows you in much closer than others, so it is close to impossible to judge this important aspect. Thank God PC2 offers ALL the options!

balderz002
10-04-2018, 09:19
So whats the F in FNG stand for?

NG must be New Guy?

When I were a lad in the RAF, when you went to the Falklands, you would have an FNG (Falklands New Guy) night to welcome all the new arrivals on the twice weekly airbridge......

Pray, do tell!

Oh and welcome btw! I went from Forza 4, using mostly chase cam, and a bit of bonnet cam, to PC1 using bonnet cam, and now I have PC2, I am using solely cockpit (The non moving helmet cam?) view.

I am still finding that every day is a school day with this game!

LittleWatt
10-04-2018, 13:19
The F in FNG is from my navy days and it’s profanity. But I didn’t want to break any profanity rules.

Ofnir4
10-04-2018, 13:30
F*cking new guy. It's not profanity if you can't read it ! :cool: Welcome.

John Hargreaves
10-04-2018, 14:51
So it's not 'fairly new gamer' then? ;)

LittleWatt
10-04-2018, 14:58
Nah, I’m old enough to have cut my teeth playing on Atari before the NES came out.

CassielLight
10-04-2018, 17:53
I got ya beat on the longevity, I think: I go all the way back to Radio Shack's TV Scoreboard. And I still remember what LOAD "*",8,1 meant.

I would never have believed, back in the early 80's, that in just over a quarter century, we'd go from C64 to PS4, with no end to the evolution in sight.

LittleWatt
10-04-2018, 18:04
I played on the C64 as well.

cpcdem
10-04-2018, 19:48
C64 was s**t! CPC 6128 ruled!

(just to revive the old wars :))

John Hargreaves
10-04-2018, 21:38
I got ya beat on the longevity, I think: I go all the way back to Radio Shack's TV Scoreboard. And I still remember what LOAD "*",8,1 meant.

I would never have believed, back in the early 80's, that in just over a quarter century, we'd go from C64 to PS4, with no end to the evolution in sight.

For those of us whose lifetime bridges the transition of the analogue world into the digital world, it truly feels like we are living in the future. I'm glad everything was so crap in the seventies, as everything looks amazing now.

CassielLight
11-04-2018, 05:47
Like the songwriter said: Write a New World Symphony for the Twenty-first Century, the dawning of the age to come; streamlined simplicity, the renaissance of humanity, avenues of light to guide us home.