PDA

View Full Version : When ready for online racing ?

Slacker
15-04-2018, 12:41
Hi guy.s and gals.
Complete newb here. Still learning with the AI set at 50% or I get my ass whooped.
How hi % on AI with me just beating them before I should consider trying some online races. Iím not in a rush and want to be a clean safe racer once I do get online.

Cheers

drathuu
15-04-2018, 13:03
Depends, the AI is easy in some classes and hard in other classes. Some series i have it on 110% others i have it on 90%.

I would say that you should get online as soon as you like, enter qualifying and do the laps.. compare with others qualifying, and enjoy racing others. As long as you know the track and/or take it easy if you dont know the track, you will be fine... If like some you just come in super hot to T1 on lap1 and wipe out half the field, then your not going to get liked.. 1 lesson is t1l1, everyone has to break earlier (And it concertinas back), so if your near rear of field you will be braking a "LOT" earlier than normal.. Some people just dont get this.

My advise.. due to the varying differences in AI by class its hard to say, get online and try a few..

foxymop
15-04-2018, 15:24
Just go for it.

Just don't try to throw people out of the track on purpose.

racesafegrandad
15-04-2018, 15:55
I just plucked up the courage and joined a race.
I got beaten by everybody and his dog the first time but it was great racing with real people.
Since then I have never looked back and now I am racing with the big boys. :)

Keena
15-04-2018, 16:29
How do you delete a post when you are an idiot and post the same thing twice?

I wouldn't worry :)

foxymop
15-04-2018, 23:31
How do you delete a post when you are an idiot and post the same thing twice?

Edit
Then you have some buttons. Save - go advance - delete

davidt33
16-04-2018, 01:42
Hi guy.s and gals.
Complete newb here. Still learning with the AI set at 50% or I get my ass whooped.
How hi % on AI with me just beating them before I should consider trying some online races. Iím not in a rush and want to be a clean safe racer once I do get online.

Cheers
Beating the AI at 50% isn't bad, not bad at all....once you're racing cleanly. My advice is to continue practising, racing otherwise until you feel fairly confident you can race with a bunch of guys online fairly clean.....as somebody else said you may not be well liked if you become a hindrance to others on the track. What you can do also is set up some online "Weekend Races" whereby you set the lobby you create to "Private" in Host Setting....1 Human Driver (yourself)....with about 10-12 AI drivers to fill the field. That will get you close to online racing feel and you can also turn "Rating" On in the section for doing so (Regulations section or whatever)....That way you can improve your Safety Rating also.
On the track try as best possible to race on one side of the track and not to occupy the centre hampering or blocking racers, human or AI, from passing if they should be in a good position to pass. Of course the recommended line for negotiating corners accordingly....Outside-In ....Inside Out.
All the best. Happy racing.

TorTorden
16-04-2018, 07:27
Hi guy.s and gals.
How hi % on AI with me just beating them before I should consider trying some online races. I’m not in a rush and want to be a clean safe racer once I do get online.

Cheers

Whenever you feel like going for it.

Renoldo1990
16-04-2018, 07:42
If you want to join Online-Lobbys - just do it straight away.
Even if you drive on the circuit in the wrong direction that wouldn't attract much attention as it is pretty much the normal state in those Races.

If you want to join a Racing-League or something, look for one which evaluates you current "Pace" and puts you with other drivers who are approximately at the same level. It's always most fun when you race with guys who have pretty much the same Pace like you and you will learn much more and faster in comparison to Race the AI or in a field which laps you multiple times in each Race.

Atak Kat
16-04-2018, 12:30
The on-line is quite a lot of fun, but mainly because it's a different sort of challenge. You should definitely try it.

For the guys that are super fast, ok, they're racing and you see it in their ratings/points.

For guys like me, intermediate at best, it can be quite frustrating at times. I don't have issues with the other players, only myself. Stupid mistakes, I get frustrated because I see guys 2 or 3 seconds a lap faster than me, I try to go faster than I should, and I end up cocking up my race. You can get a bit sucked into this world for 'finding the setup' you need to get the fast times, while that does make a difference, I think it has more to do with skill rather than finding a trick. There's been more than once that I've just got frustrated with myself and shut the game off, always when online (yes I finish the race, but after that, I'm done). I've had many more interesting battles with guys in the back half of the grid, than I have with those in the front half.

But, what I really do enjoy is the different challenge the on-line races bring. There's going to be guys that lose it in front of you, and you have to drive around. They will pressure you from behind, and you will cock up. They will brake too early, or too late, and you have to be on-the-ball. You will see a pile of tire-smoke in front of you, carnage happening for sure, and you have to pick your line through it hoping to avoid adding your own car to the mess. You will mess up your fuel level, and have to pit and figure out how to use your ICM on the fly. You'll have to deal with someone intentionally trying to bump you wide in a corner, or dive-bombing up the inside, but you will learn to look out for that, and have to figure out how to deal with it without ruining your own race. Hell, you might even make some new friends and get involved in a bit of in-race chat. Maybe even learn something about setups, etc by chatting in the on-line races. These things, you won't find when racing the AI.

As for AI races, I still do enjoy that as well. Even if it's not as dynamic as online, it is more predictable and there can be a very rewarding experience if you can find the correct AI levels to use.

Mahjik
16-04-2018, 13:52
Hi guy.s and gals.
How hi % on AI with me just beating them before I should consider trying some online races. I’m not in a rush and want to be a clean safe racer once I do get online.

If you can keep the car on the track, go for it. Online is not about being fast, but being consistent and staying out of trouble.

ELAhrairah
16-04-2018, 14:55
Create your own race and force your race settings to avoid some dudes who race in external view with steering wheel because "screw reality and immersion, points is all we want."

gregc
16-04-2018, 18:05
I'll add my 2p, as someone who has until recently stayed away from online for a long time. A few weeks ago, for whatever reason, I decided to try it out - browsing the available races one thing I noticed was that (on PC at least) it's not just GT3 at Monza! Yes, there's a fair amount of GT3, but there are other races out there too. As it turned out, I did go for GT3 (at Bathurst) - lost by a mile, but that's fine - and then while browsing around I figured there was nothing I fancied, so why not set up my own, using a combination I like?

Set up an 8 lap race at Knockhill with Ginetta Juniors, 15 minutes qualifying, and just started the qualifying session on my own - worst case scenario is no one joins me, I spend 15 mins hotlapping for fun. As it happened I had a couple of people join in. Pace was variable between us but it was a fun little race. At the end, back in the lobby I asked if we wanted to go again - someone asked me to bring the time forward an hour (I originally had it set up as a sunset race, because v. pretty, but that does mean very bright sun in your eyes on the back straight) so I did that and off we went. This time, during qualifying, the grid gradually filled up and by the time the race started we were full. And this race was great fun - I made a few mistakes and finished up 4th or 5th, but the most important thing is I had a lot of fun racing people who all tried to stay clean (at least as far as the ones I found myself wheel to wheel with), and I think we all had someone to race with regardless of how fast or slow any individual was.

My takeaway from this was that if you set up something a bit different from the norm, people will come, and because it's a bit different you're more likely to get people who enjoy racing more than crashing :)

Since then I've dipped into online most weekends, and either joined a lobby that appeals to me or set up my own - last weekend I found a 20 minute qually/20 minute race Formula Rookie room at Oulton International, and that was brilliant - it turned into a real battle for the lead, with 3rd a little way back but close enough to capitalise when I made a mistake or two, and we had 20 minutes of really intense racing.

Phew - that turned out longer than I intended... Short version - jump in and have fun, and if none of the available rooms float your boat, do your own thing :D

Oh - and I can't agree at all with the previous post. If I'm setting up a room I set it to allow pretty much everything - if someone enjoys running in chase cam with a driving line and all the assists on then let them. I don't like anyone dictating how I should play the game, and I won't do it to other people.

Slacker
16-04-2018, 21:39
Thanks for all the great advice guys. A bit more practice I think then I’ll give it a go this coming weekend. Cheers Slacker.

Richie Padalino
17-04-2018, 14:58
Thanks for all the great advice guys. A bit more practice I think then I’ll give it a go this coming weekend. Cheers Slacker.

Aye, give it a go, it's definitely fun.

And if you're bothered about what position you might obtain, you'd be surprised how well you can position in most online races by simply keeping it tidy and on the track. You can be a second down on pace, but a bit of racecraft and not making any massive mistakes, and you'll be competing.

And if you're not bothered about that at all, then definitely get on there.

zedeeyen
18-04-2018, 10:22
Just join a lobby with plenty of qualifying time left. By the time qualy ends check the times. If you are last and multiple seconds off the average pace then back out and go practice that track until you get your times down to what they need to be. On the other hand if your times are comparible then you are ready.

Even intermediate guys should do this, as you do sometimes get insanely fast lobbies where everyone is quick and someone used to qualifying top 5 could find themselves blown away even by the back markers.

And the reverse can be true too. If I find myself on pole by 2 clear seconds and it's a 10+ lap race, I'll probably go find a faster lobby rather than hotlap for 20mins.