PDA

View Full Version : TAA

demand34
24-04-2018, 12:49
Never considered myself a graphics wh*** before, and will never be. Good playability and fun above anything else is top priority in my book, specially in a racing sim, but after playing games like Star Wars Battlefront 2, Far Cry 5 and others using this sort of "antialiasing technic", and seeing the superb effect it has on the overall graphical quality plus the laughably low impact on gpu resources It has, then I was wondering if this TAA could be implemented in the current engine we have for the next project cars game, or maybe for project cars 2 season two, if that ever may be the plan to follow.

I mean. Graphics may be not the most important thing, let alone in a sim, but omg It pays off visually so much and with little gpu effort that even I feel the need to say that It should be worth the implementation.

xbx012
24-04-2018, 17:44
Agreed.

Its very distracting with the white lines on the track etc especially places like fuji, where you see the jaggie track lines

Foofer37
24-04-2018, 17:48
I'm interested to know how this works exactly. Does TAA take the place of say, MSAA etc?

demand34
24-04-2018, 20:32
I'm interested to know how this works exactly. Does TAA take the place of say, MSAA etc?To put it simple, it puts any other aa to shame, and if this wasn't enough already it also requieres minimal gpu effort compared to the rest of the classic technics.

It changes the way your game looks dramatically, for the better of course.

Foofer37
25-04-2018, 03:37
To put it simple, it puts any other aa to shame, and if this wasn't enough already it also requieres minimal gpu effort compared to the rest of the classic technics.

It changes the way your game looks dramatically, for the better of course.

And soooooo, why wasn't this an option in the game then?

DinoM
25-04-2018, 05:59
And soooooo, why wasn't this an option in the game then?

Maybe the Madness engine not compatible with TAA. I don't know, i'm just wondering. :confused:

demand34
25-04-2018, 07:55
And soooooo, why wasn't this an option in the game then?Seems to be a very recent thing.

This stuff simply raises image quality ridiculously high without minimum gpu effort. It's truly amazing, and hope it gets add in a patch.

pferreirag60
26-04-2018, 16:14
https://bartwronski.com/2014/03/15/temporal-supersampling-and-antialiasing/

I think the rendering portion of SMS engine is not compatible with TAA, maybe because you need motion vectors to implant TAA properly.

Trux74
26-04-2018, 19:11
F1 2017 uses TAA. I don't think its that amazing imo.

demand34
26-04-2018, 20:42
F1 2017 uses TAA. I don't think its that amazing imo.It's a codemasters game using just an update of a very old engine that ego/evo whatever they've been using to death. You can not say TAA ain't good because you say it in a Codemasters game..., let alone their F1 lol

Try modern games like SWbattlefront 2 or far cry 5 or others and you'll see how much mistaken you can be. The difference is day and night, simply put.

Trux74
26-04-2018, 21:13
Try modern games like SWbattlefront 2 or far cry 5 or others and you'll see how much mistaken you can be.
No thanks

Charger
26-04-2018, 22:32
You should try using the graphicsconfig and do some sharpening, does a lot better job of eliminating jaggies than any AA in game imho ;-)

Silraed
27-04-2018, 03:10
You can not say TAA ain't good because you say it in a Codemasters game..., let alone their F1 lol

And you can't call it a golden bullet perfect AA solution if it only works at that level in some game engines. There is something about how pCARS 2 runs that makes all the AA inefficient and I don't think TAA would be any different. It is a huge step forward though, I would have loved to have seen it in Destiny 2 because the AA in there is just abysmal.

CSL-Drive
27-04-2018, 06:05
I wanted to suggest this aswell. Project Cars 2 is one of the most beautiful racing sims ever, but it lacks a smoothness or cleanness.
TAA checkerboard in F1 2017 codemasters, allows not only for a smoothness of the entire graphics, just like in GT Sport, but it actually doubles the performance and fps, which makes it effortless for me to play f1 2017 on 4k resoltuon and max graphics. Imagine if this game had TAA checkerboard. It would look crazy good.

Silraed
27-04-2018, 08:52
TAA checkerboard in F1 2017 codemasters, allows not only for a smoothness of the entire graphics, just like in GT Sport, but it actually doubles the performance and fps, which makes it effortless for me to play f1 2017 on 4k resoltuon and max graphics.

It also makes 1080p look like a blurry mess with nothing sharp or pleasing about the picture at all. It's a terrible example of TAA.

I think Battlefield 1 is the best example of the average implementation of TAA. It's not perfect, there are still jaggies around and sometimes it bizarrely misses some objects but it leaves a crisp picture and for the performance cost it is phenomenal. I don't think it's worth completely rebuilding an engine to implement correctly though.

J273
28-04-2018, 08:12
You should try using the graphicsconfig and do some sharpening, does a lot better job of eliminating jaggies than any AA in game imho ;-)

I did this a while back when I had a rift which I've now sold and gone back to single screen.

What settings do you recommend to start with?

Thanks

Charger
28-04-2018, 21:37
Try 1.3/0.8/1.3, that's what I run. makes it nice and crisp, if it's too much try 1.2

J273
28-04-2018, 23:07
Try 1.3/0.8/1.3, that's what I run. makes it nice and crisp, if it's too much try 1.2

Thanks, it's been a while since I messed with these settings am I correct in thinking youre refering to

Sharpeningstrength
Sharpeningclamp
OffsetBias

I know there was a thread on here but I can't seem to find it.

Charger
28-04-2018, 23:30
Thanks, it's been a while since I messed with these settings am I correct in thinking youre refering to

Sharpeningstrength
Sharpeningclamp
OffsetBias

I know there was a thread on here but I can't seem to find it.

Correct

demand34
29-04-2018, 08:20
is this for virtual reality only?

Charger
29-04-2018, 20:54
is this for virtual reality only?

No, for monitors also.

demand34
30-04-2018, 11:12
Gonna try that myself then and see whether it's as good as temporal antialiasing or not

demand34
30-04-2018, 14:55
Tested it with those 1.3 / 0'8 / 1.3 on those specific parameters mentioned, and there wasn't any imrpovement on either aliasing and/or overall image quality (msaa to medium). All I got was some artifacting when leaving boxes, and in some specific parts of some tracks, like Nords.

TAA for the win, if we had it..

BigDad
01-05-2018, 00:00
Wolfenstein 2 uses TAA as a mid teir AA with TSSAA as its top AA method, im not sure if TSSAA is a higher TAA but at TSSAA Wolfenstein 2 is pretty much free from aliasing.

Charger
01-05-2018, 01:10
Tested it with those 1.3 / 0'8 / 1.3 on those specific parameters mentioned, and there wasn't any imrpovement on either aliasing and/or overall image quality (msaa to medium). All I got was some artifacting when leaving boxes, and in some specific parts of some tracks, like Nords.

TAA for the win, if we had it..

Well there is a marked improvement on mine and I use the sharpening with MSAA on med on triples.