PDA

View Full Version : Controller or wheel

Akbertelsen
28-04-2018, 15:55
Hello pc2 fans.

I am thinking about getting a wheel and pedals. I only have time for 2-3 hours of gameplay then the kids are sleeping. I'm playing on standard ps4 controller at the moment but I don't know if it worth the money to buy a good wheel. So how big a difference are we talking about? And which wheel should I buy?

hkraft300
28-04-2018, 16:44
Hello pc2 fans.

I am thinking about getting a wheel and pedals. I only have time for 2-3 hours of gameplay then the kids are sleeping. I'm playing on standard ps4 controller at the moment but I don't know if it worth the money to buy a good wheel. So how big a difference are we talking about? And which wheel should I buy?

Completely different.
The game is on another level with a wheel, and even better with a good wheel.
Since you’re on PS4: your choices are Fanatec elite, t300/500, g29.
Fanatec if you can afford it. G29 on a budget. I only race a few hours on weekends now, on a DIY rig.
Totally worth it.

2pfspiff
28-04-2018, 17:19
Definitely get a wheel. I have the T300 but I am saving for fanatec elite (I have an Xbox as well. The elite for the PS4 is compatible with both systems with a separate rim change out.). Depending on where you are gaming you will probably need a wheel stand as well.

The wheel stand pro is a good stand for a cheap price. This is for the thrustmaster. I had this before I went to the Next level Wheel stand (Not the lite version). It worked well for the 2 years I used it. Had the Next level lite been available I would have gone with that one instead due to the pedal mounting and adjust-ability.
http://www.wheelstandpro.us/Thrustmaster-Wheel-Stands/

The next level racing looks like it would be a better stand due to the fact the the pedals are bolted down and the pedal angle is adjustable as well as the distance from the driver plus it is cheaper before shipping.
https://www.nextlevelracing.com/next-level-racing-wheel-stand-lite/

o_O-EaZy-O_o
28-04-2018, 17:30
Hello pc2 fans.

I say get a wheel it is a whole different experience. I bought a T300 and love it. I also only get limited time to play because I have children. Even though i find it was well worth it.

Ravager619
29-04-2018, 03:58
I have a T300 wheel, a Wheel Stand Pro, and the T3PA pedals and T8HA shifter. I just bought the PS4 version of the game this afternoon, and I was playing it on a PC since release day. A controller is okay, but if you can spend the money on a wheel do it. It feels so much more like a racing sim.

Konan
29-04-2018, 05:31
I've been looking at wheels lately (yes finally) and to me the one that is most interesting is the G29...
You get more for less of the price of a Thrustmaster T300.
It comes with three pedals while the T300 comes with only two.
The pedals look quite sturdy as well and IIRC can be adjusted to your taste.
It has rev lights which the TM doesn't have.
Since i'm going all in i am looking to buy a shifter as well...Logitech wins here as well price wise...
Only thing i am still doubtfull about is how the two compare "in action"
So if people would like to share their experience with both i would much appreciate it and i'm sure the OP won't mind either.

Fanatec is definitely out of my price range...

Cladandadum
29-04-2018, 06:02
I was looking at the G29 and the T300 before Christmas, probably for the same reasons and picked up the G29 because of the price, (£129) at the time. The leather trim of the wheel is comfortable in the hand and the general feeling is that the wheel is sturdy. The pedals are metal, which was a key selling point for me over some of the slightly cheaper plastic alternatives. I would say that the extra expenditure on decent pedals is well worth it.

I wouldn't suggest that the wheel has made me quicker when compared to a gamepad but it adds so much more to the immersion and the handling of the cars.

On a personal note, my family (all ladies) continue to laugh at me when I set the wheel up, calling it a midlife crisis. My retort is that it's so much cheaper than a 911 RSR. Makes me feel better, although not sure that I will ever win the discussion.

Lord of the Racing
29-04-2018, 06:06
Same story of you: I have a kid and a time consuming work so my free time is very limited. Take a wheel without any doubt. i have a T300 and it make the difference. Simulations must be played with a wheel. The controller is good for the arcade.

Atak Kat
29-04-2018, 06:09
I have the T300. I previously had G27 (still in a closet somewhere), unfortunately never used G29 so cannot really give a good comparison.

As for the base unit, my understanding is the G29 is really a good value. I don't know all the details about FFB strength, etc, but I'm guessing they are probably pretty similar. I've never been disappointed with the T300 FFB strength or smoothness. I think the game has more to do with what you feel.

But in my opinion, the T300 benefits are mostly in the add-ons. But this costs $ very quickly.
- I have the Ferrari 599X rim, and this really is a very nice rim. It's a bit bigger, and the alcantara is really nice.
- I have the T3PA pro pedals, and when you put on the brake mod (cone that comes with it, or the BBJ one), this can really change things and make a nice difference. The pedals are very solid when you have a solid mount for them. I tend to be pretty heavy on the brake, and the pedals themselves are rock-solid (assuming you have a solid mount for them). I remember on my G27 it had this really neat little 'toothed bar to grab the carpet'.... that was really nice feature on the pedal base. For a casual gamer, bringing the wheel out into the living room, that little carpet grab device was a really nice feature. Don't know if the new G29 pedals have this or not, but for sure the T300 pedals do not have this, so you need to figure out a different way to hold them steady.
- I also have the TH8A shifter... this think is really quite nice. Works well and the gated shifter is good. Decent quality here. Not sure how the G29 one is, but the TH8A is definitely a good product.

The downside of T300... unfortunately they seem plagued with various reliability issues. Personally I've gone through 4 of them (thank goodness for store return/replace policies...). I still have random button pushes and mystery wheel resets every now and then (but they are very very rare now). Some people are lucky.
I have solved/reduced a lot of this by:
- I disassembled the wheel, and put some shims/spacers behind the socket where the wheel connects to the base unit. I think the way it's designed, it doesn't fully engage and with some jiggling this causes the random button presses. After I did this, I haven't really had any problems.
- I am convinced that they are quite sensitive to static discharge. And also the alcantra seems to somehow generate static. I have also an alcantara seat (Playseat), and I found a lot of random resets especially when getting out of the seat after a long session. I now have an old bedsheet on the seat, and this seems to remove the static build up, and since then the resets are not really happening. I experimented also by taking the sheet off the seat, and guess what..... wheel started to reset again. So, bedsheet it is.

To be honest, the benefit of the T300 is probably just the upgradability. But if I look back at the $ spent, I wish I would have gone straight to Fanatec, because I'd be in the right ballpark for a nicely kitted out PS4 Elite, for sure.

Hope it helps. But on a budget, I don't think G29 can go wrong. If you're lured by the T300 upgradability, that is where the benefits are, but in that case, I'd suggest just to go straight to the Fanatec system (find some stuff laying around in the garage and sell it to get some extra cash...)

Konan
29-04-2018, 06:12
The controller is good for the arcade.

I'm sure controller users (like me) will disagree...
Please let's not go into that direction with this thread.

hkraft300
29-04-2018, 06:24
G29 pedals faces are metal but the rest is mostly plastic. Very sturdy plastic. I can give it a fair boot and the whole lot doesn't make a sound. They feel solid. Bang for buck: G29 > T300.
Ffb strength is good enough, although most prefer the T300 belt drive for its feel.

Just do it. With your diy skills you can knock up a rig and you'll love it.

breyzipp
29-04-2018, 08:53
I've been looking at wheels lately (yes finally) and to me the one that is most interesting is the G29...
Since i'm going all in i am looking to buy a shifter as well...Logitech wins here as well price wise...
So if people would like to share their experience with both i would much appreciate it and i'm sure the OP won't mind either.

I’m talking about slightly different hardware but I used to have a G27 for my PS3 (back then it also came with a shifter) and now have a Thrustmaster TS + TH8A shifter + T3PA 3-pedals + GT leather wheel for my Xbox One. I’m far more impressed with the build quality of the TS gear. The T3PA Pro which has even further improved build quality also allows the pedals to be mounted inverted.

The G27 pedals were fine and comparable with the standard ones from the TS, but the T3PA are way better, they feel less plastic and include the conical brake mod.
The TH8A shifter feels way better than that shifter from the G27 (which feels more like a joystick). The TH8A is very sturdy and can be set up as a H-shifter, a sequential shifter or a handbrake.

I also really like the eco system of Thrustmaster. If I ever move to a PS4 then I just need the TS300 base and all my current pheripherals can connect to it. I heard they will release a handbrake add-on as well soon, which would make another fine addition.

Depending on how you play, a sequential shifter vs H-shifter or 2 pedals vs 3 pedals matter. I’m a sucker for classic cars so 3-pedals and H-shifter is a must for me. But in modern fast race cars I ignore the shifter and play with the sequential shifters on the wheel.

So in the end I’m far more impressed with Thrustmaster than Logitech but that is with the upgraded pheripherals. If you want a full package for a low price then G29 is indeed not a bad choice.

Zaskarspants
29-04-2018, 10:10
My G920, same as G29, is nearly 2 years old. Several hours of use per day.

The pedals are better than most at the price with the stiff more realistic brake pedal enabling enough feedback for trail braking. I find I have to clean the potentiometers every six months to a year with a squirt of wd40 to get the cat / dog fur out. The moving parts are metal and the case is strong plastic. I did crack the base with my hard soled funeral shoes but I am very heavy footed so glued some marine ply as a permanent fix. All the moving parts are unworn.

The wheel was slightly ' geary ' for a month but is smooth now and has enough ffb to make it dramatic but it will not pull itself free of your grip. The clamps are effective and no play has developed in the mechanism. I do wish it had a larger wheel. It is very fiddly to fix a bigger one looking at yt vids so not really an option.

The shifter looks cheap but after a year or so of really rough treatment it is going strong. It can easily be swapped to sequential mode with two elastic bands or a handbrake with one.

My wheel pedals and shifter was < UK200 pounds and it is hard to see that as anything but a bargain. They have never done anything weird whilst playing and just do the job.

Playing with a wheel is a lot more hassle, dominates a room when set up, is a bit antisocial, but is well worth it.

LaLinea555
29-04-2018, 11:03
Change the pad for what? Better lap times or 'the feel'?

Zaskarspants
29-04-2018, 11:15

Maybe, depends on what you prefer. Some of the best tt times are set with controllers.

Personally I like all the bits and bobs, thingummyjigs and doodads that come with owning a wheel, but that may put others off. I am hoping to get a wheel base with swappable wheels maybe next year, so cool.

Akbertelsen
29-04-2018, 12:02
You guys are awesome! I'm not sure I'll be faster but I don't like the idea that it will feel more like a simulation. But in Denmark there is a huge difference I the price and electronic is a bit expensive so it'll be the g29. But thanks for the huge help

hkraft300
29-04-2018, 12:32

You guys are awesome! I'm not sure I'll be faster but I don't like the idea that it will feel more like a simulation. But in Denmark there is a huge difference I the price and electronic is a bit expensive so it'll be the g29. But thanks for the huge help

Feel, immersion definitely.
Also the cars really come alive with ffb.
Besides that: initially you'll be slower. Learn the ffb, adjust and calibrate your brain to it. Improve hand and feet coordination and learn the pedal feel.
After that your lap times will drop.
If you're already alien fast with a controller, at the very least your consistency will improve.

davidt33
29-04-2018, 12:32

well yes papa. Konan is finally getting a wheel. Welcome to the club bro.

BTW, Iím with the rest of the guys on the benefit of a wheel. Itís like chalk and cheese. G29 user here myself, second one since the first went on the bum after about a year and a half. The second one seems to be going alright so far...about a year now I think. Bought it second-hand actually. Was lucky I guess.

If I have to buy another one though Iím eyeing up the Fanatec CSL Elite for PS4. From my understanding the Fanatecs are a notch up in terms of durability etc but I guess long and short of it you get what you pay for. Good things no cheap, cheap things no good. Old saying.

breyzipp
29-04-2018, 12:48
Playing with a wheel is a lot more hassle, dominates a room when set up, is a bit antisocial, but is well worth it.

No one mentioned that yet but it sure is true as well. On the other hand though, I always enjoy seeing pictures of people’s rig setups. ;)

Konan
29-04-2018, 14:16
Well since my wife is letting me have the spare room (no...not to sleep in when punished :cool: ) i'm keeping an eye out for a second hand Playseat...
Big investment to make though starting from scratch...(and wife controlling the budget :p )

Cladandadum
29-04-2018, 14:19
Well since my wife is letting me have the spare room (no...not to sleep in when punished :cool: ) i'm keeping an eye out for a second hand Playseat...
Big investment to make though starting from scratch...(and wife controlling the budget :p )

Spare bedroom?!! She'll be letting you have the run of the house soon......

hkraft300
29-04-2018, 14:20
Konan if I were you, save the playseat money and put it towards a fanatec. Build your own rig. Out of timber or pvc it's not hard.
Scrapyard for a car seat, preferably one with manual (or power) tilt adjustment.

Konan
29-04-2018, 14:35
Konan if I were you, save the playseat money and put it towards a fanatec. Build your own rig. Out of timber or pvc it's not hard.
Scrapyard for a car seat, preferably one with manual (or power) tilt adjustment.

I could do that yes...i'll keep it in mind for sure thanks :cool:

Ravager619
29-04-2018, 14:41

Once the full game downloaded to my PS4 yesterday, I finally immersed myself into the game for a few hours. I noticed right off the bat the T8HA isn't necessary. You can shift either by using the wheel paddles or the shifter. I'm now sitting on my sofa and driving, so I removed the shifter and that add on piece for the Wheel Stand Pro. I'm still adjusting the FFB settings at this time but the wheel feels the same way it did when I had it hooked up to my PC. I never used the T3PA pedals that came with the T300RS since I already own the T3PA PRO pedals.

I have no experience with Logitech wheels. I will say I'm not a fan of their other gaming items like wireless mice and keyboard. That alone made Logitech a no-go for me.

Akbertelsen
29-04-2018, 14:54

Holy #### you have a spare room. Just convincing my wife that I need a wheel I hard enough! Do you have any tips? Only been married for 4 years so I'm just a rookie :p

Konan
29-04-2018, 14:54

Just checked the prices...
That wheel cost 600 dollars and double that with a shifter and three pedal setup :(
A g29 with shifter and playseat will cost me around 400-500 euros (second hand) and it wont cost me the cut fingers and blue nails of making a rig myself lol
It also is buy and play instead of having to fabricate something which takes time as well...

Konan
29-04-2018, 14:59
Holy #### you have a spare room. Just convincing my wife that I need a wheel I hard enough! Do you have any tips? Only been married for 4 years so I'm just a rookie :p

Play on the livingroom TV when she wants to watch her shows...
Be sure to be up first and be playing when she gets up...
Put the TV really loud for "immersion purposes"...
Complain when she walks in front of the TV or talks during your gametime...
Don't over do it though or instead of the spare room you'll get a divorce :p

Sum Dixon-Ear
29-04-2018, 15:20
Just checked the prices...
That wheel cost 600 dollars and double that with a shifter and three pedal setup :(
A g29 with shifter and playseat will cost me around 400-500 euros (second hand) and it wont cost me the cut fingers and blue nails of making a rig myself lol
It also is buy and play instead of having to fabricate something which takes time as well...

I'm with Konan on this, start off with a more budget set-up and see how you get on with it before committing to an expensive wheel, pedals and full-on rig.

Not everyone likes the transition from long-term controller use to a FFB wheel, I know of a few who just preferred what they were used to and reverted to the pad. Some find the long hours of getting fast with a wheel just not what they were looking for and others just don't like it at all.

You can always upgrade bit by bit later if you find that sim racing with a wheel is the way forward whereas buying a very costly, high-end rig straight away could just result in being an expensive mistake.

From all accounts the G29 is a very good wheel and well worth the money... I was very impressed by Barry's teardown of the wheel on Sim Racing Garage a few weeks back. Well built, well thought out design and the pedals can be improved greatly with after-market mods.

It is a big transition for a lifelong controller racer to make, so I think you are making the wisest decision by starting with a solid, more budget-friendly FFB wheel, second-hand Playseat/Playseat Challenge and just seeing what (if anything) you would like to do in the future.

Good luck mate :cool:

hkraft300
29-04-2018, 15:21

That is ingenious!

Konan
29-04-2018, 15:33
I'm with Konan on this, start off with a more budget set-up and see how you get on with it before committing to an expensive wheel, pedals and full-on rig.

Not everyone likes the transition from long-term controller use to a FFB wheel, I know of a few who just preferred what they were used to and reverted to the pad. Some find the long hours of getting fast with a wheel just not what they were looking for and others just don't like it at all.

You can always upgrade bit by bit later if you find that sim racing with a wheel is the way forward whereas buying a very costly, high-end rig straight away could just result in being an expensive mistake.

From all accounts the G29 is a very good wheel and well worth the money... I was very impressed by Barry's teardown of the wheel on Sim Racing Garage a few weeks back. Well built, well thought out design and the pedals can be improved greatly with after-market mods.

It is a big transition for a lifelong controller racer to make, so I think you are making the wisest decision by starting with a solid, more budget-friendly FFB wheel, second-hand Playseat/Playseat Challenge and just seeing what (if anything) you would like to do in the future.

Good luck mate :cool:

Thanks mate :cool:
As for your point of maybe not liking it: that is indeed one of the reasons i want to go low budget...
But i also want to start with a decent wheel so if i DO like it i won't have to upgrade in the near future...
The G29 comes out best in that consideration imo...
I can buy one second hand with shifter for 200 euros.
I am considering hkraft's suggestion though...i could mount it on an Ikea( ;) ) desk and fabricate something along the way...
Maybe use the passenger seat of my Corsa so i will never have to take the wife shopping again LOL

Akbertelsen
29-04-2018, 15:52

Could you please right I book on this subject?

breyzipp
29-04-2018, 15:54
Thanks mate :cool:
As for your point of maybe not liking it: that is indeed one of the reasons i want to go low budget...
But i also want to start with a decent wheel so if i DO like it i won't have to upgrade in the near future...
The G29 comes out best in that consideration imo...
I can buy one second hand with shifter for 200 euros.
I am considering hkraft's suggestion though...i could mount it on an Ikea( ;) ) desk and fabricate something along the way...
Maybe use the passenger seat of my Corsa so i will never have to take the wife shopping again LOL

Either way, get a fixed frame so that your pedals and wheel are attached to your seat. Back in the PS3 days of my G27 I had a Wheelstand Pro, that thing has wheel and pedals fixed but you put it in front of a sofa. There is nothing more annoying than the darn thing sliding over the floor when you need to brake hard, even with all the anti-slip measurements taken.

Now for the Xbox One I have an Obutto Revolution. Night and day difference! :)

Konan
29-04-2018, 16:00
Could you please right I book on this subject?

Many have tried...all have failed :cool:

Cladandadum
29-04-2018, 17:01
I have my G29 attached to a £15 computer desk with wheels. I just wheel the wheel to the lounge from one of the spare rooms, put on the brakes and play from the main tv, usually after dark. Takes a couple of minutes to complete the operation. Hook the headphones up to the PS4 controller and nobody is disturbed. As has been said, works well early in the morning and when the family has gone to bed.

I would agree that a cheaper set up is the way to go initially and it does take quite a while to wean yourself from the controller.

Surprisingly, the pedals remain static on the carpet. I sit on a dining chair, which also works quite well. Phase 1 complete.

davidt33
29-04-2018, 17:40
Being a bachelor sure has its benefits

Pisshead30
29-04-2018, 18:42
Hello pc2 fans.

I have a soon to be 2yr old boy who runs around like the Duracell bunny all day so I know what you mean, id recommend the t300rs gt editon that I got as it comes with 3 pedal set, its like buying all your racing games all over again. I also got the gt omega wheel stand to fit it on and very pleased with it all

Pisshead30
29-04-2018, 18:50

Im lucky i've got what used to be the dining room and she bought me the 43inch 4k LG for Christmas that I play on. I upgraded from ps4 to a ps4 pro which was bought on her very.co.uk account so long as I keep up the payments im good lol

As you can see she still gets to pick the curtains and I stole a chair from the kitchen lol

Icetiger_72
29-04-2018, 20:44
Either way, get a fixed frame so that your pedals and wheel are attached to your seat. Back in the PS3 days of my G27 I had a Wheelstand Pro, that thing has wheel and pedals fixed but you put it in front of a sofa. There is nothing more annoying than the darn thing sliding over the floor when you need to brake hard, even with all the anti-slip measurements taken.

Now for the Xbox One I have an Obutto Revolution. Night and day difference! :)

I use the wheelstand pro with a Stressless classic chair (with fixed back rest when racing) on carpet: rock solid

Konan
30-04-2018, 03:57
The G29 BTW does have those "carpet hooks" underneeth the pedal base...

Akbertelsen
30-04-2018, 07:05
The G29 BTW does have those "carpet hooks" underneeth the pedal base...

Very useful information ����

Akbertelsen
30-04-2018, 17:18
So pc2 fans I have bought the g29, havent had time to set it up yet. But what setting? Is it the same as the controller or what do you drive with?

Konan
30-04-2018, 17:34
So pc2 fans I have bought the g29, havent had time to set it up yet. But what setting? Is it the same as the controller or what do you drive with?

Congrats mate...here you go :cool:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?61875-What-is-your-setup-on-the-Logitech-G29&highlight=Logitech+G29

Akbertelsen
30-04-2018, 18:41
Congrats mate...here you go :cool:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?61875-What-is-your-setup-on-the-Logitech-G29&highlight=Logitech+G29

Awesome thanks! So I took the Ferrari 488 gt3 around long beach... I think I'm in love! BUT it it SO much harder than with the controller

davidt33
30-04-2018, 18:49
Awesome thanks! So I took the Ferrari 488 gt3 around long beach... I think I'm in love! BUT it it SO much harder than with the controller
Long Beach may not be a good track to base things on bro. Very tricky track that.

Akbertelsen
30-04-2018, 19:00
No it don't go well some move on to Algarve with the x-bow much easier but still takes some time to learn

Akbertelsen
30-04-2018, 20:02
Can someone please explain how what game is so much harder with a wheel than a normal controller it feels like a new car it's not behaving in the same way anymore?? Or am I just a idiot what a wheel? :)

Konan
30-04-2018, 20:08
I've read that with a wheel the loose setup is better than the stable one...

davidt33
30-04-2018, 20:08
Can someone please explain how what game is so much harder with a wheel than a normal controller it feels like a new car it's not behaving in the same way anymore?? Or am I just a idiot what a wheel? :)
It's supposed to be much easier with a wheel IMO. At least that has been my experience.
Out of curiosity. Have you ensured you calibrated the wheel and pedals? And if so, have you done it correctly?

Cladandadum
30-04-2018, 20:10

Practice, practice and then practice some more. You have to re-program yourself away from the controller. Stick at it, you won't regret it. Are you using manual gears and clutch?

Cladandadum
30-04-2018, 20:11
I've read that with a wheel the loose setup is better than the stable one...

From my experience, it depends on the car and track.

Konan
30-04-2018, 20:13
From my experience, it depends on the car and track.

Thanks, good to know for the future :cool:

Konan
30-04-2018, 20:28

Maybe you can give these a try first...

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?62938-Sloppy-s-Fast-Stable-and-Fun-Career-Tunes

cb_racer
30-04-2018, 21:46
Start with low power cars and flowing tracks. Work your way up from there.

Akbertelsen
01-05-2018, 04:08
It's supposed to be much easier with a wheel IMO. At least that has been my experience.
Out of curiosity. Have you ensured you calibrated the wheel and pedals? And if so, have you done it correctly?

I'm 99% sure I calibrated it right. And it's not the steering, I just keep spinning out! I feel like I drive the same way as I did with the controller but I keep spinning out when accelerating. I may have come to the conclusion what I need to be more gentle with the throttle when accelerating

hkraft300
01-05-2018, 16:11
I'm 99% sure I calibrated it right. And it's not the steering, I just keep spinning out! I feel like I drive the same way as I did with the controller but I keep spinning out when accelerating. I may have come to the conclusion what I need to be more gentle with the throttle when accelerating

It takes time to coordinate your hands and feet. Took me ~15 hours of driving to get used to it.

Advice: slow down. The road cars are a hoot (road A and below). Vintage GT also. LMP3 and GT4/5 cars are really grippy and easy to drive.
You can try my ffb settings below.
My steering/ throttle/ brake sensitivity is 50-50-30.
Calibration is full lock, x, quarter turn (90į), x.

PocketZeven
03-05-2018, 14:36
Use stronger Traction control settings. The hardest thing to master is throttle and brake control. Get comfortable with steering inputs first with high ABS and TCS (they are your friend). I do not recommend using Stability control. Then Lower the settings when you are comfortable. When you have mastered that, turn off TCS. When you can drive full races without TCS. You can start contemplating turning off ABS. Alternatively just set it to "realistic" after getting used to the wheel after using high TCS and ABS.