PDA

View Full Version : Incident involving car X and car Y under investigation

vwpolo
29-04-2018, 17:24
I know that everybody would expect to read this new feature that does not exist ... but I wonder why not implementing something like this that is feasible at least from a theory point of view.

I think the SMS programmer can implement a basic rule when the rear car hit the front car, that even if not perfect would solve at least 70% of the on line incidents. My theory is:

1. SMS knows when the car is hit from behind because the rear flap from time to time (not always) is detached when the car has an incident. The same effect happens to the car that hits as it looses the front ailerons. So if this is achievable I imagine that the software ( Object Oriented ) is able to determine which car hit what car.

2. if the above is true then you can simply check delta speed between let's say car Ahead and car Back when it is greater than 10km/h or whatever threshold... then car Back is at least slow down of X secs up to DQ.

Tell me that I'm not dreaming and that you are working on something like this.

I don' t want imagine what could you do with a minimum of AI... but believe me , there are some idiots out there who just want to send you off road for the fun of it... and this ruins the spirit of the competition ...

rcnavigated76
29-04-2018, 18:23
It’s possible iracing gives different points depending off track, hard collisions, in fact I heard a car purposefully wreck me yesterday. Sent the protest button and got my safety rating back Already.

senna94f1
29-04-2018, 19:09
It’s possible iracing gives different points depending off track, hard collisions, in fact I heard a car purposefully wreck me yesterday. Sent the protest button and got my safety rating back Already.

Nothing beats hours of practice for our league then getting wiped out completly on 1st lap in 1st corner from someone else way back in 9th. At longbeach , quote I was on inside trying to make run off area at 1st corner, ,

Never an answer because to make run off you should have been on right side of track ,not on the inside left and so far back going into a left hand corner,

,think about that one , was it done on purpose or did he just forget to brake,

who cares because you just took out the leading car on 1st corner on 1st lap, no excuse in my book ,

davidt33
29-04-2018, 19:57
Nothing beats hours of practice for our league then getting wiped out completly on 1st lap in 1st corner from someone else way back in 9th. At longbeach , quote I was on inside trying to make run off area at 1st corner, ,

Never an answer because to make run off you should have been on right side of track ,not on the inside left and so far back going into a left hand corner,

,think about that one , was it done on purpose or did he just forget to brake,

who cares because you just took out the leading car on 1st corner on 1st lap, no excuse in my book ,
Yeah but Long Beach is a collision magnet bro. I don’t like to race on that devil track at all.

maxx69
30-04-2018, 08:31
Won't stop the same idiots from then break checking you and still ruining your evenings racing and your safety rating .

simsimsheree
01-05-2018, 21:09
Obviously, automatic stewarding is always going to be a bit of a bad idea (you only have to look at GT Sport's forum activity to see that!) but I think there are ways to make it cleaner, at perhaps the cost of it being realistic...

Many of the older GT5/6 clean leagues and casual rooms took the basic premise of 'contact from the trailing car is ALWAYS the trailing car's fault', unless a good solid half a car overlap BEFORE the braking point. And the penalty was always the same. You returned the position, no matter how long it took for the car you hit to get back on track and get going. No points lost, no seconds of penalty to run off, just return position.

It worked amazingly well. No, it didn't give you an accurate simulation of what happens with real cars (usually a race ending crash and if done enough times, a career ending ban from the sport!), but it sure gave you clean racing!

Given that we really should admit that sim racing does not have the same consequences as real racing, perhaps it's time to admit that sim racing should not have real racing's rules either?

It is time inefficient and wasteful to spend time reviewing replays (and console limits on replay sizes pretty much nixes review anyway, other than on sprints), I feel the simpler solution is placing ALL of the onus on the trailing car, and one simple penalty.

There is even an already existing mechanism to determine where a brake point should be. The racing line display. A bit more work to fine tune it, and it should be simple for the game to determine, at the time of contact, was the trailing car braking late, did it have an overlap at the braking zone? If not, penalty to the trailing car, return position, job done!

These futile attempts to split the penalty up to both cars (on the premise that, if the game can't determine fault, might as well share it!) are a waste of time. Put the onus entirely on the trailing car (like casual rooms and even some pretty serious GT leagues did) and you end up with some of the cleanest, funnest racing you have ever had.

Will it completely solve the brake checking issue? No, but once the trailing car KNOWS any contact will be determined to be his fault, you tend to go for over unders and other passing techniques that don't need you to follow the lead car in lock step on his bumper.

I hate to say it, but I was in a very robust, squeaky clean casual racing scene on GT5/6, and every day and night, I could find several rooms that ran casual racing with these simple rules. I have yet to find anything even CLOSE to this in PC2 without joining the league despots (if you can't dedicate the time to a league, you know what I mean by this!), and perhaps it is time SMS allowed this simple rule as an option for their automated stewarding:

'All contact is the trailing car's fault, but the only penalty is returning position if it results in a pass'