PDA

View Full Version : could someone explain what is going on and why this is happening? Dropping temps

kevin kirk
01-05-2018, 02:22
After a couple of weeks of trying to figure it out on my own I have to ask for help, Concerning GT and lmp cars and SPA in particular.My REAR tire temps are good.Allthough, Everything i try and every thing i do, i lose over 16 degrees of FRONT tire temp from the green flag at the line at SPA to the beginning of the kemmel straight on starts. It drops that low that fast. By the end of the kemmel straight my fronts have dropped like a stone from 95 degrees at the green flag to 75 degrees and never raise above 82 degrees ever again. Does it with soft tires,does it with hard tires, does it with low air pressure and high pressures and in all seasons and with low grid numbers also.Note that with soft tires, even tho im getting low temps super fast, im also getting super fast wear on them. What is going on and what do i need to do? Happens in both default setups. Thanks

DECATUR PLAYA
01-05-2018, 04:23
After a couple of weeks of trying to figure it out on my own I have to ask for help, Concerning GT and lmp cars and SPA in particular.My REAR tire temps are good.Allthough, Everything i try and every thing i do, i lose over 16 degrees of FRONT tire temp from the green flag at the line at SPA to the beginning of the kemmel straight on starts. It drops that low that fast. By the end of the kemmel straight my fronts have dropped like a stone from 95 degrees at the green flag to 75 degrees and never raise above 82 degrees ever again. Does it with soft tires,does it with hard tires, does it with low air pressure and high pressures and in all seasons and with low grid numbers also.Note that with soft tires, even tho im getting low temps super fast, im also getting super fast wear on them. What is going on and what do i need to do? Happens in both default setups. Thanks

What % is your brake ducts.

kevin kirk
01-05-2018, 04:31

i dont know exactly at the moment but they do run on the colder side, i never considered that to have a effect on tires. I will try adjusting that tomarrow. Thanks

kevin kirk
02-05-2018, 01:08
....so far lowering the ducts airflow down actually seems to help a lot with tire temps. Running hotter brakes seem to not let that ends tires cool so much and jumps the tire temp back up really good when they do drop cold during braking events. Thanks.

Christiaan van Beilen
02-05-2018, 01:25
Actually brakes are used to heat up the rims, tyres and if applicable the wheel well around it.

This became even more a thing the more knowledge and tech advanced about the interaction between brakes and tyres. A modern F1 car is actually designed around using the brakes to get heat in the tyres, as the brakes themselves hardly can overheat anymore. These days it's more like the hotter the better, from what I understood from interviews on the subject.

So in my opinion? Just close the brake ducts as far as possible and do some hotlapping. If they fade or overheat, or if the tyres get too hot, than just open them up again slowly but steadily.

DECATUR PLAYA
02-05-2018, 04:01
....so far lowering the ducts airflow down actually seems to help a lot with tire temps. Running hotter brakes seem to not let that ends tires cool so much and jumps the tire temp back up really good when they do drop cold during braking events. Thanks.

Glad I could help.