PDA

View Full Version : Developer question on how to implement track maps.

Zeratall
02-05-2018, 18:25
On pretty much every telemetry application I see track maps, aka maps of the track that display car position and driving line through the track. I know the udp outputs lat and long but how do developers know the tracks coordinates aka where turns are etc. I'm looking to create a track to show different data but not sure how this is being accomplished currently.

cpcdem
02-05-2018, 20:39
On pretty much every telemetry application I see track maps, aka maps of the track that display car position and driving line through the track. I know the udp outputs lat and long but how do developers know the tracks coordinates aka where turns are etc. I'm looking to create a track to show different data but not sure how this is being accomplished currently.

I was also thinking about it, and the way I plan to implement it is to go to practice mode with a very slow and stable car, start driving, always stay at the middle of the track and have my app logging my route, this way it should be easy to create a good enough map/route representation of the track. Only problem is it will take time, as this needs to be done for 100+ track layouts :)

Then, once you have the track in data that you can manipulate, it should be easy enough to add information about where each corner/straight starts etc, assign corner names etc.

Zeratall
02-05-2018, 20:47
Hahah yeah, this is what I was thinking as well, but like you said it'll take awhile, u ass wondering if there was a better way to do it lol.