PDA

View Full Version : Strobify - flashing lights | Wheel | Controller| Macro

RiffMajster
07-05-2018, 07:39
Hello,

I have written an application which allows to bind any game controller wheel, gamepad etc. to a keyboard button (which will be your in game light button).

You can modify delay and number of flashes.
Since pCARS and some other games does not have such functionality, this is useful when u are trying to inform when u are overtaking slower car or get someone nervous before you :)

I will add promo video how it works soon.

User video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5-pzxyr8PI

Safety car mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wYZ61YCjN0

Strobify_1.9 (https://github.com/RWitanski/Strobify/releases/download/v1.9/StrobifySetup.msi)

All you need to do is:
1. Unzip the file.
2. Run the .EXE file.
3. Have fun! :D

Feel free to comment if you will find any bugs or have any ideas how to make the program better.
Inform or write post to me if you want to participate in the project.

Kind Regards

M4MKey
07-05-2018, 12:24
The concept seems rather interesting, but I'll wait for a video that explains how it works. For example, as you need to map the lights ON/OFF button on your strobe mod, how do you turn ON/OFF lights manually without strobing lights then ?

AbeWoz
07-05-2018, 12:36
The concept seems rather interesting, but I'll wait for a video that explains how it works. For example, as you need to map the lights ON/OFF button on your strobe mod, how do you turn ON/OFF lights manually without strobing lights then ?

i do this with JoyToKey. I have my headlights mapped to 'H' on my keyboard, and i have J2K set up to repeat the button press when I hold down the button on my joystick.

But i will give the OP's tool a test run tonight and see if I like it better.

RiffMajster
07-05-2018, 18:19
Currently this is only possible by pressing binded keyboard key.

At this moment I am working on saving last configured:
-Controller key;
-Keyboard key;
-Delay;
-Repeats;

After this feature if no hard bug will be found I will try to cover this ON/OFF topic.

MaXyM
07-05-2018, 21:51
Turning headlights on/off should be possible with button mapped to headlights.
If RiffMajster's application (or other macro-based solutions) assure even number of presses despite length of holding down the flash button, then such flashing will work for disabled and enabled lights.

I achieved the same thing when connecting custom wheel to my TX, modifying Arduino's program.

RiffMajster
07-05-2018, 23:29
I have released new version 1.2:

-Last entered configuration are saved on program close(Delay, Repeats, Keyboard Button, Controller Button);
-They will load automatically on next app startup;

Next things I will work on is:

Embed all cfg and libraries into one executable file;
Possibility to ON/OFF - this might take time to work on;

M4MKey
08-05-2018, 09:31
Okay, so I tried your 1.2 version RiffMajster, but when the windows opens, I have no choice of controller or anything. Don't really know how it works then :/
As for JoyToKey, It could be good but you have to maintain the button so you can't a precise amount of repetition every time. A simple macro could do the trick but how to create one for a controller ? ^^

RiffMajster
08-05-2018, 09:35
Okay, so I tried your 1.2 version RiffMajster, but when the windows opens, I have no choice of controller or anything. Don't really know how it works then :/
As for JoyToKey, It could be good but you have to maintain the button so you can't a precise amount of repetition every time. A simple macro could do the trick but how to create one for a controller ? ^^

Yes I found this bug today,
Im releasing new version with ON/OFF functionality just give me 5 minutes :)

RiffMajster
08-05-2018, 09:45
OK...

So new version 1.3 released:

Added ON/OFF functionality,
Added additional logic fixes,
BugFix - empty configuration start.

M4MKey
08-05-2018, 09:53
Just tried. It "works". I still don't understand how you configure it.

Even setting only 2 repeats, It does 6 times the input, the speed and frequency of them can't seem to be modified so it goes way too fast. It's like it's doing 3 times the input per repeat, which doesn't make much sense :)

After some tests and tweaking ingame, I find that 8 repeats at 200ms works quite well ! The little delay before it starts strobing lets you turn them ON/OFF and then if you launch the strobing, it will always end on the same state ( headlights OFF/ON ) as it was before strobing. Still quite don't understand how 3 inputs makes it finish how it begans but hey ! It's working ^^ Nice work dude !

RiffMajster
08-05-2018, 10:47
Just tried. It "works". I still don't understand how you configure it.

Even setting only 2 repeats, It does 6 times the input, the speed and frequency of them can't seem to be modified so it goes way too fast. It's like it's doing 3 times the input per repeat, which doesn't make much sense :)

After some tests and tweaking ingame, I find that 8 repeats at 200ms works quite well ! The little delay before it starts strobing lets you turn them ON/OFF and then if you launch the strobing, it will always end on the same state ( headlights OFF/ON ) as it was before strobing. Still quite don't understand how 3 inputs makes it finish how it begans but hey ! It's working ^^ Nice work dude !

To configure other Controller / Wheel Button:
1. Press the Wheel key button - it will be disabled, because it is in REASSIGN mode.
2. Now just press the controller / wheel button which you want to use and voilà!
3. New Controller / Wheel button will be assigned, the button with be enabled (controller button ID will be updated).

Can you explain what do you mean by
Still quite don't understand how 3 inputs makes it finish how it begans

M4MKey
08-05-2018, 11:34
well, I simply tried your program on wordpad to begin with. Mapped my wheel button with "L" of the keyboard. So that's L that will be repeated by your program.
A single burst of your strobe program creates 3 L. So that's 3 inputs. And I just don't get how the game is still able to finish a strobe like it began if there are 3 inputs being made. I think the refresh is so fast that one is just "forgotten" ?

Easiest way to prove this is to tweak down the delay option. Set it to 50ms and you'll see that nothing happens in the game while in wordpad, it's clearly being "outputed" :)

Anyway it does work nicely right now. Only thing that could still be improved is the latency of it. Whatever the delay setting is , it only affects the frequency of flashings. It would be nice if the triggering delay for ON/OFF and Flashing could also be changed. Right now, simply turning headlights ON takes at least a second to accomplish. With such delay, you have to maintain the headlight button for a long time before the strobing starts.

RiffMajster
08-05-2018, 13:17
It would be nice if the triggering delay for ON/OFF and Flashing could also be changed.
So it would be nice to separately change the latency of ON/OFF functionality?

I will try to unify the delay for ON/OFF and flashing in the next version, so you can test it.

M4MKey
08-05-2018, 13:20
Well, maybe I wasn't clear. Delay at the moment only changes the frequency between two flashes. So that must stay in as it is, maybe just rename the option to frequency
And then, a delay option that changes the latency before the lights gets turn ON/OFF or goes to flashing could be great :)

MaXyM
08-05-2018, 13:21
50ms signals are way too short for PC2. From my experience even 70ms might be ignored. Use more than 100ms timings for both button positions: held and released.

RiffMajster
08-05-2018, 16:17
As M4MKey and MaXyM suggested tuning to the ON/OFF and Flashes were applied.
Release 1.4:

1. Main light service loop tuning.
2. KeyPress simulator method refactor.

Now the feedback should be way faster!

M4MKey
08-05-2018, 16:41
Way better !!! :encouragement: Brilliant job :)

EDIT : Last bit of improvement that could be cool is to save the controller selected. At each restart I have to choose again the right one :) Not that annoying but hey, still a bit of QoL :)

RiffMajster
08-05-2018, 20:22
EDIT : Last bit of improvement that could be cool is to save the controller selected. At each restart I have to choose again the right one Not that annoying but hey, still a bit of QoL
Thanks!

Release 1.5:

1. Added preset of previously used GameController.
2. When previously used GameController is NOT connected, then any possible is selected.

M4MKey
08-05-2018, 20:37
Hmmm... looks like 1.5 has broken something. No controller detected on the list. Nothing appears on the list anymore :D

EDIT : Can confirm, reverting to 1.4, everything works OK. Good luck mate, you're almost there ;)

RiffMajster
08-05-2018, 21:09
Hmmm... looks like 1.5 has broken something. No controller detected on the list. Nothing appears on the list anymore :D

EDIT : Can confirm, reverting to 1.4, everything works OK. Good luck mate, you're almost there ;)
Can you try to remove Strobify folder at %appdata%/roaming?

Release 1.5.1:
Possible old configuration file error fixed with removal and recreate a new config file with the good structure.

Now you just need to restart App if such problem occurs.

Slawek_9
08-05-2018, 21:48
it works great, thank you for your work ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5-pzxyr8PI

Raklodder
08-05-2018, 22:33
Any risk of being banned for using this online or is it safe?

Slawek_9
08-05-2018, 23:04

you talk about the video?

No, she is in public mode now ;)

M4MKey
09-05-2018, 06:50

For sure i'm not the developer of this, but I'm quite sure you risk nothing. It's a sort of macro thing. The game doesn't even that it exists :)

RiffMajster
09-05-2018, 06:55
I'm pretty sure that there is no risk of being banned for using this online. I use it for about 2 months in multiplayer.
This application gives you no advantage in racing and I am simulating keyboard press to operating system, not to the game. The game is just consuming all of the system inputs.

RiffMajster
10-05-2018, 00:08
Release 1.6:
Major bugfix, possible multiple thread causing to many inputs.
Added requested feature - Safety car / Race car - possible to change by clicking settings icon.
Race car mode is always default and it is not stored in configuration file(it is not remembered, when you start again program).

Slawek_9
10-05-2018, 09:56
Release 1.6:
Major bugfix, possible multiple thread causing to many inputs.
Added requested feature - Safety car / Race car - possible to change by clicking settings icon.
Race car mode is always default and it is not stored in configuration file(it is not remembered, when you start again program).

great job, thank you very much :D

Aile_Bleue
10-05-2018, 18:05
It is probably a stupid question, but where must we unzip the files? :confus:
Awesome work ;)

RiffMajster
10-05-2018, 18:32
It is probably a stupid question, but where must we unzip the files? :confus:
Awesome work ;)

Does not matter, where ever you want :)

Aile_Bleue
10-05-2018, 18:42
Thank you, it's perfect :RÉ

RiffMajster
10-05-2018, 20:35
Release 1.7:

1. Fixed - refresh button > added missing restart if strobing.
2. Fixed - strobing thread autocancellation if already running.
3. Minor fixes.

AbeWoz
10-05-2018, 22:34
Would you be able to add a feature that allows us (users) to modify how fast the key-presses occur? I like that I don't have to hold my button down for the flashes to work, but the lights flash a bit too fast for my taste.

RiffMajster
11-05-2018, 05:53
Would you be able to add a feature that allows us (users) to modify how fast the key-presses occur? I like that I don't have to hold my button down for the flashes to work, but the lights flash a bit too fast for my taste.

You can do this by changing (increasing) Delay value.
Or you mean the max value 500 is to low? (let's say it should be 1000 (1s))?

AbeWoz
11-05-2018, 11:04
You can do this by changing (increasing) Delay value.
Or you mean the max value 500 is to low? (let's say it should be 1000 (1s))?

isn't that the delay needed to start the strobe effect? could be wrong. i'll test more today. cheers

RiffMajster
11-05-2018, 12:22
isn't that the delay needed to start the strobe effect? could be wrong. i'll test more today. cheers

No, the delay to start the strobe effect is hardcoded, you can't modify it.

AbeWoz
11-05-2018, 12:44
No, the delay to start the strobe effect is hardcoded, you can't modify it.

ok cool. I'll test tonight after work but 500ms max should be fine. When I use JoyToKey, I have my lights flash 8 times per second which seems to be a good speed.

m00lean
11-05-2018, 16:22
So I can't turn the light on and off with the same key using this tool?

RiffMajster
11-05-2018, 16:28
So I can't turn the light on and off with the same key using this tool?

You can.

m00lean
11-05-2018, 16:31
You can.

How? I can only assign an even amount of "repeats". What did I miss?

RiffMajster
11-05-2018, 17:08
How? I can only assign an even amount of "repeats". What did I miss?

Just click the assigned button to ON / OFF.
To strobe press and hold for a bit(0,3 - 0.5s).

m00lean
11-05-2018, 17:11
Just click the assigned button to ON / OFF.
To strobe press and hold for a bit(0,3 - 0.5s).

Perfect, thank you!

RiffMajster
11-05-2018, 18:49
Release 1.8:

1. Used thread instead of cancellation token, device change autostarts strobing.
2. Added donation button.
3. Minor fixes.

Release 1.8.1:

1. Cancellation token instead of thread used for process.

Release 1.8.2:
1. Removed ghost label.
2. Removed unused images.

RiffMajster
23-05-2018, 22:13
Release 1.9:
NEW 1.Added Strobify race car mode.
NEW 2. Added Strobify safety car mode.
NEW 3. Added installer.
Added program menu shortcut.
Added Desktop shortcut.
Added ARP (uninstall) icon.
Enhanced button hold and press response.
Bugfix - added missing mapping for number values.

Slawek_9
24-05-2018, 12:15
great job, thank you ;)

Somag
24-06-2018, 11:28
hey. i wanted to try that tool but i can't get it to work. not sure if i am doing some wrong or not.
can you maybe tell what to do in the right order? should i first connect my wheel (t300 +F1 wheel) then start the tool, then start PC2?
i tried it a few times but it's not working here. does it maybe need win10 to run?

davidt33
24-06-2018, 12:39
Now if it was available for PS4 users that would be cool.

PC users have all the fun.

Shinzah
24-06-2018, 14:49
hey. i wanted to try that tool but i can't get it to work. not sure if i am doing some wrong or not.
can you maybe tell what to do in the right order? should i first connect my wheel (t300 +F1 wheel) then start the tool, then start PC2?
i tried it a few times but it's not working here. does it maybe need win10 to run?

I'm on win10 and I couldn't get it to run properly either...

RiffMajster
15-12-2018, 18:53
@Somag @Shinzah Can you guys describe what's the cause of the issues?

Shinzah
20-01-2019, 16:21
Small update for Riff:

Sorry, I didn't see your post until just now!

I did give Strobify another go with my wheel, and it works fine with my wheel now (although occaisionally the lights will get stuck on, which is a very minor complain) But it does not work with my Xbone controller. I set it up properly and it recognizes the controller with L as light input but it simply doesn't strobe in the game regardless how long I hold down the button. With the wheel it works perfectly fine. It's a strange thing.

I've added Strobify to my regular toolset to use with PC2 when I'm using my wheel (In addition to Z1 and Crewchief)