PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy's Fast, Stable and Fun Manufacturer Drive Tunes (G29)

sloppysmusic
19-05-2018, 19:20
In a similar vein to my Career tune series I shall be posting stable tunes in this thread and AI settings that provide a tough but beatable challenge. As before I shall be meticulous in producing setups that ANYONE can drive and have fun with, with videos posted of hot laps and race highlights wherever possible. For anyone not familiar with these events, they open up and become available for you once you have earned a certain 'affinity' for a manufacturer by racing their cars a certain amount of time during career. You first have to overcome a 'PROVING GROUND' where they give you one of their cars and expect you to beat a field of the same machines in a one off race. If you overcome this challenge a further series of 'FACTORY DRIVES' becomes available with increasingly powerful cars from their stable.
We shall be taking on these challenges with REALISTIC Aids only, and PENALTIES ON and MECHANICAL DAMAGE ON. AI settings take these options into account. We shall race cleanly against even the dirtiest of AI, claiming moral superiority for the human race against the would be usurper machines!

I shall soon be creating a thread for 'INVITATIONAL' events too, which are also unlocked by progress in career.

Comments always welcome, start your engines please, Ladies and Gentlemen!

List:

-Ginetta Events
PROVING GROUND
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?63260-Sloppy-s-Fast-Stable-and-Fun-Manufacturer-Drive-Tunes-(G29)&p=1510700&viewfull=1#post1510700

-Ginetta Events - G57 Final challenge - Sportsland SUGO - AI 100/100
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?63260-Sloppy-s-Fast-Stable-and-Fun-Manufacturer-Drive-Tunes-(G29)&p=1520781&viewfull=1#post1520781

-Audi Events - First challenge - 90 IMSA GTO - Laguna Seca - AI 100/100
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?63260-Sloppy-s-Fast-Stable-and-Fun-Manufacturer-Drive-Tunes-(G29)&p=1520972&viewfull=1#post1520972

-Audi Events - 2nd challenge - R8 LMS - Nurburgring Sprint - AI 100/100
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?63260-Sloppy-s-Fast-Stable-and-Fun-Manufacturer-Drive-Tunes-(G29)&p=1520977&viewfull=1#post1520977

sloppysmusic
19-05-2018, 19:46
PROVING GROUND

I noticed this event has giving people a hard time, due to their posts and videos on the Net. There are a number of valid reasons for this. The car is a Ginetta 55 GT4, slightly bigger and more powerful than the Junior and GT5 used so far in career. The track is a narrow, bumpy and hilly circuit in Lincolnshire, England. Kind of a mini-Nordschleife if you want a comparison. Very narrow (2 car widths approx wide) with few areas to pass cleanly. Aggressive AI have no problem helping you to enjoy the scenery surrounding the track at the earliest opportunity. With penalties ON it is very easy to wander outside the rack limits, particularly during the last 1/3, a hilly slalom through a wood preceded by a blind jump.
You will NEED practice in your car on this track before tackling the event seriously. You will be starting last car out of 8 and after passing everyone you have to be able to race clean and fast enough to keep the chasing pack of AI wolves from getting back in front. The AI are very fast with this car/circuit. At AI 100/100 they drive faster than humanly possible. PS4 TT record is 1.28.xx and the fastest time I could manage with this tune is 1.31.xx. Testing AI from 100/90/80 etc down to 50 it was not until 50 that they did not consistently lap faster than the tunes best time. 50/50 they lapped within 1 second beneath it so still very hard but certainly doable.
So I recommend AI 50/50 for this challenge.
I recommend setting up a custom race and setting the AI to 50/50 and the race 3 laps which is the default proving ground length. Allow 15 mins practice/qualify and keep repeating these sessions until you can get within 1 or two seconds from pole position. This means you are ready for the real challenge! Do the practice race if you wish although you may as well quit now and enter the real thing (you lose nothing by failing, you can retry without consequence as much as you like).
At this point the car and circuit should no longer intimidate you. You come to claim the victory that is yours by birthright and proven in the field of battle (well at least in the custom race earlier)

Here is my experience training for the race and the race itself. There is a hot lap included with my best time to show how to get round Cadwell GP smoothly and safely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWxJg_0H_bU&feature=youtu.be

Here is the full setup:

Next up Snetterton 300 in a Ginetta G55 GT3!

Demon340
20-05-2018, 17:10
I appreciate you spending the time and sharing this info. It’s very generous. Thanks so much!

sloppysmusic
21-05-2018, 02:28
I appreciate you spending the time and sharing this info. It’s very generous. Thanks so much!

You are most welcome mate! When I started playing the project car series I found the cars to be driveable but realistically unforgiving when pushed and knew I would have to tweak them to my amateur skills to compete. With the sequel I decided I wanted to produce tunes that would work for others as well as me. It's a shame that such fun cars as Formula Rookie and the Caterham 300 are avoided by so many as they are hard to control out of the box. Hope you find the time to enjoy some of the tunes soon!

Demon340
21-05-2018, 18:35
Oh yeah I will! Let me know when you get to tier 4. I just finished the Clio Cup and now have to make a selection on which series to do next. I’ll eventually do all before moving to the next level. Does anyone have any of these cars they consider to be diamonds in the rough?

sloppysmusic
22-05-2018, 00:44
Oh yeah I will! Let me know when you get to tier 4. I just finished the Clio Cup and now have to make a selection on which series to do next. I’ll eventually do all before moving to the next level. Does anyone have any of these cars they consider to be diamonds in the rough?

I can't wait to get to Tier 4! I was up to Formula C and would have then finished all races in Tier 6 and 5 after that but went back and did every one again for my Career tune thread. Did you do Formula Rookie? Cos if not it's a total blast now with the tunes so much fun there!
I've started this thread and will do the Historic events soon too as a break from the Career thread slog. The racing is great fun all the documenting is a pain!
Maybe you could suggest what I do in Tier 4 first? I've got 2 more FC races in the UK then 5 more in the US I think. That's rest of the week I reckon.

Demon340
23-05-2018, 08:08
Yes I did. I’m strongly considering going back and doing it again with your tunes. Race one in the Ginetta proving grounds was a blast! A real feeling of occomplishment to complete that race. So much fun!
Are you really in south Daytona Beach?

sloppysmusic
23-05-2018, 12:54
Yes I did. I’m strongly considering going back and doing it again with your tunes. Race one in the Ginetta proving grounds was a blast! A real feeling of occomplishment to complete that race. So much fun!
Are you really in south Daytona Beach?

Demon you used my tune here for the proving ground? If so that's great you're officially the first person to try one out. I had most fun doing the formula rookie. Pedal to the metal throw that little car around showing no respect for the AI! Also the Caterham 300 in sportscar lites is a bundle of joy once tamed.
And yes.. Im really in South daytona beach.. Although we don't technically have a beach here so. It's just south daytona
��

Demon340
23-05-2018, 16:31
Yeah I used your tube and it was great! Before I finished the race (finally) I had worked my way to the front for the last 3 Laos only to spin out on the last turn. AAARRRGGH!We’ve got a condo in St Augustine is why I asked. So I’m occasionally in your area. The wife and youngest son (college freshman)are there now as a matter of fact. I went to the Rolex 24 this year for the first time. That was absolutely incredible!!

sloppysmusic
18-06-2018, 17:36
The hardest and most fun part of this is qualifying within a multi-class field. Makes for some hair raising and exciting moments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxCobfpbnbM&feature=youtu.be

sloppysmusic
19-06-2018, 03:48
One of the most exciting races in the game, IMO. First used this car at Circuit of America in an invitational and couldn't get to grips with it at all, so ran this event at a lowly 50 AI then half way through fell in love with the car. Restarted at AI 100/100 and tweaked until I could get a 3rd on the grid. Cold tires are in effect here but if you use slicks you can get a couple good laps in. They are good for 5 laps in the main race too so that's what we will use.
A sweet drive, the race was tense and took me 2 laps to get in the lead (after passing cheekily and getting a penalty first lap).
Last 2 laps tires fade slightly at the front so had to change down to lower gear on a couple of corners. Tune is a blast, a race to savor. It might take a few attempts but AI 100 is the perfect challenge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfx_kOh_d4U&feature=youtu.be

sloppysmusic
19-06-2018, 05:29
My first GT3 tune! I hope they get much better but at least this is stable and fast enough to beat the AI at 100/100 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7uBiVCXnCk&feature=youtu.be

ModoX
20-07-2018, 07:28
I just started going through the Audi manufacturer drives, did Laguna Seca last night (great race and really enjoyed that car!) - saw your post here and took a look at your setup compared to mine (I have no idea what I'm doing, for context). Quick question - what pushed you to have the brake pressure so low? I was following Nighttiger's guide so I had it set at 100% which led to obvious front locking for turn 1, but I moved it one click rearward and found that I could get decent braking out of it by leaving it there. Didn't seem right that it was at 100% still though. Might give your tune a try and see the difference next time I'm racing.

ModoX
20-07-2018, 18:17
Wow ok, I haven't gone back to Laguna Seca yet, but I just tried the R8 tune and it's a game changer! I did my normal routine of loading in to a new car and doing a few laps each on the loose and stable setups to see which I prefer as a starting point, and couldn't drive either at all. Tried yours and it worked perfectly first time!

I had so many issues on the defaults:

1. Mid-corner understeer on some low speed corners (turn 2 particularly)
2. Exit oversteer on low speed corners (all of them, all the time)
3. Brakes locking heading into the chicane

You fixed all of those problems and I could drive the car easily straight away. What would you say were the key changes in eliminating each of those issues? Keen to learn how you fixed it, obviously some I can see from what changes you made, but you made some changes to things I've never touched before.

sloppysmusic
21-07-2018, 04:23
Wow ok, I haven't gone back to Laguna Seca yet, but I just tried the R8 tune and it's a game changer! I did my normal routine of loading in to a new car and doing a few laps each on the loose and stable setups to see which I prefer as a starting point, and couldn't drive either at all. Tried yours and it worked perfectly first time!

I had so many issues on the defaults:

1. Mid-corner understeer on some low speed corners (turn 2 particularly)
2. Exit oversteer on low speed corners (all of them, all the time)
3. Brakes locking heading into the chicane

You fixed all of those problems and I could drive the car easily straight away. What would you say were the key changes in eliminating each of those issues? Keen to learn how you fixed it, obviously some I can see from what changes you made, but you made some changes to things I've never touched before.

Thanks for letting me know you had some success with the tune! I was somewhat apprehensive posting my first GT3 tune when there are so many great ones out there. As regards your earlier question about low brake pressure, the idea for all these tunes is kinda rookie stability, with no offence to anyone meant as I consider myself in that category! So if I can stomp my foot on the brake pedal and get lockup it gets lowered until it will pretty well NEVER lock up. Once you get used to the car it helps to increase this a little to get more control and sometimes you want a little lock up available.

As regards what I did to get from default to the tune I posted here I'd have to drive the car again to remember! I always set the brake ducts and radiator to suit an endurance race, which defines the power/speed available somewhat different from the stable tunes, or the TT ones. You can tweak for performance cornering better when you a 'little' slower. The mindset is to be able to brake hard, throw the car into a corner if you need to and apply full throttle without anything nasty happening. Hence 'stable and fun'. The 'fast' part just comes from being able to do lap after lap while feeling confident in the car and therefore more relaxed.

Sorry if that's not the info you wanted but I did a ton of tunes last few months and just cannot remember individual tunes. Brilliant though I got a thumbs up for a GT43 tune! Thanks man!

ModoX
21-07-2018, 06:46
No that's great feedback, thanks. Shows there's perhaps some improvements I could make as well for sprint races, and given that my control of the brakes isn't the worst thing about my driving.

Keep going with the tunes, it's good stuff :)

Demon340
23-07-2018, 02:26
Hi Sloppy! I’ve got a question for you. I just finished the Formula Renault series (won 5/7 at 100/100 with your help, but not Silvetstone (last)). I’m trying out the different Group A cars. What made you decide to race the Ford?

sloppysmusic
23-07-2018, 17:37
Hi Sloppy! I’ve got a question for you. I just finished the Formula Renault series (won 5/7 at 100/100 with your help, but not Silvetstone (last)). I’m trying out the different Group A cars. What made you decide to race the Ford?

Hey Demon, good question but I can't remember exactly I think it was because the car was a street legend when I grew up in England during the eighties. A road car with wayyyyyy too much power with the silly turbo and impossible to afford insurance prices for a 20 year old! The game version here is very fast and pretty stable when tweaked. I ran a full length Hockenheim Mational race in the wet in the Group A series and apart from the AI not suffering tire wear like the human driver it was great fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN11EyEse50

Sorry for not being the answer you may have wanted!

ModoX
24-07-2018, 08:37
I think "because Cosworth" is a perfectly fine answer :)

Demon340
24-07-2018, 09:02
I’m just driving these different Gr A cars to see the differences in them (1st time to try each) and im finding the Ford tough to control even with your tune. After just driving the formula Renault series the whole class feels sluggish and sloppy. I’ve just got to reacclimate myself and learn each car much more. So far the Fords tough to hang on to, the Mercs ok but not too exciting, the BMW’s fun but seems to be lacking something (?) and the Audi is so far my favorite. I think it’s because of the extra feeling of control with the Quattro and because I have great pace with your suggestion of having the AI at 60/60.
I don’t want to have tunnel vision with the others though and end up missing some gems because their not as responsive as the Formula!