PDA

View Full Version : New Driver

kiwis
23-05-2018, 03:45
So I'm new to Project Cars, got the game this wee and am using a joystick to drive.

All it is well except;

I'm loosing control of my vehicle at speed and often slide out from the rear and turning can also be sharp

Any pointers is appreciated.

sloppysmusic
23-05-2018, 13:11
So I'm new to Project Cars, got the game this wee and am using a joystick to drive.

All it is well except;

I'm loosing control of my vehicle at speed and often slide out from the rear and turning can also be sharp

Any pointers is appreciated.

Real world driving skills can generally be applied in this game. As a beginner both learning racecraft and tweaking your car will help a lot. Race craft advice is everywhere If you search for it. There a lot of tunes in the car setup garage forums. I wrote a thread called Sloppys stable and fun career tunes designed exactly for beginners to enjoy driving the career events WITHOUT spinning out all the time. I would be very interested to see if they are of any help to you!
They were designed for wheel users so you may need to change the steering ratio setting but cars will definitely be more stable for you even with a controller.

OddTimer
23-05-2018, 14:27
Use the stable setup. Also, try different tires. Weather and track conditions will dictate the type of tires you should be using. The game is totally playable with a joystick.

CassielLight
23-05-2018, 18:49
It's playable with a standard controller.

Best concept to at least know the basics of, is load transfer. This is a big oversimplification here, but think of it this way. When you accelerate, the weight of the car (the "load") moves to the back; when you brake, the load moves up front. Going uphill, load moves back; downhill, it moves up front.

The more of the load that's on your drive wheels, the more aggressive you can be in a particular corner.

Most of the high end cars are rear wheel drive, so if you try to turn and brake at the same time, the car will break loose. What's happening there is, you're trying to move a heavier load up front, without enough load on the drive wheels in the back. Again, that's an oversimplification, but you want driving tips, and not a textbook on automotive physics.

Start with this, and build from it: Brake in a straight line whenever possible. Braking with your wheels turned is just begging for trouble.

simsimsheree
23-05-2018, 19:09
If just coming to this game, especially from other games with far more forgiving (and less realistic) handling, go back to the basics. You might have been able to control a 1000hp LMP1 car in Forza or GT6, but expecting that at the beginning of your acclimatization to PC2 is unrealistic.

Start out on low power road cars, and GT5, things like that, and don't work your way up until you have those pretty much under control.

You'll also notice that braking is far more sensitive in PC2 than arcade games. It isn't on/off like GT or Forza. It needs to be carefully modulated, even with ABS on. You can't brake heavily AND turn at the same time very much, like you can with these other games. Watch some videos of good drivers and see what their input is like (make sure they show the game speedo).

This bad habit of braking and turning is one of the things that you need to avoid...

Konan
23-05-2018, 20:22
have a look at this:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55787-THE-INSIDER-S-GUIDE-Weekly-In-game-Guide-by-Yorkie065

a lot of usefull information in there...