PDA

View Full Version : Is rain generation too large?

fresquito
26-05-2018, 10:53
I've been doing some rain races as of late, and I've noticed the rate at which pools are generated is too extreme. Even with light rain, it's not rare to have pools of water crossing the whole road, even extend to a whole turn (Brno and Silverstone Classic last corners come to mind) in 15 mins races. I know there're some complex calculations going on and, overall, the rain is absolutely brilliant in the game, from how dynamically it generates, to the car behaviour, but in my opinion there's too much rain downpour.

BTW; 1x speed and all.

blankfile
26-05-2018, 14:08
yeah i agree, the rain works well but there is just too much flooding being created.
After 15 minutes of rain on imola some bits are nearly undriveable.

TexasTyme214
26-05-2018, 14:14
I think it depends on how quickly the track gets saturated and how well the track can drain water. I'm sure classic tracks are going to be weaker in this area than modern tracks overall. I can see some modern tracks having better drainage systems than others.

hkraft300
26-05-2018, 15:20
Also weather progression rate has an effect to how much the track water builds.
I think anything more than light rain the track becomes very difficult very quickly.

fresquito
26-05-2018, 16:33
I think it depends on how quickly the track gets saturated and how well the track can drain water. I'm sure classic tracks are going to be weaker in this area than modern tracks overall. I can see some modern tracks having better drainage systems than others.
I'd agree if it was like this for anything other than light rain, but you get big pools in light rain as well. Yeah, the devs are bristish and all that, but I think it is just too much. Specially talking about a racing game.

Anything above light rain becomes undriveable in a few minutes because most tracks generate pools so big there's no way to avoid them. In that sense, there's little room for configuration if you want to create interesting scenarios.

UkHardcore23
26-05-2018, 16:36
I've been doing some rain races as of late, and I've noticed the rate at which pools are generated is too extreme. Even with light rain, it's not rare to have pools of water crossing the whole road, even extend to a whole turn (Brno and Silverstone Classic last corners come to mind) in 15 mins races. I know there're some complex calculations going on and, overall, the rain is absolutely brilliant in the game, from how dynamically it generates, to the car behaviour, but in my opinion there's too much rain downpour.

BTW; 1x speed and all.

Taking the piss out of Kaz and GT ;)

Sentry87
26-05-2018, 20:40
If I do rain races I usually only do light rain anyway. Heavy rain I'd imagine would be red flagged anyway, or at least until accidents start happening

David Wright
27-05-2018, 08:44
I have seen excessive pooling where multiple weather slots are used in short races. Yesterday evening I did three 15 minute races at Silverstone Classic in light rain (1 weather slot) and didn't find the limited pooling affected driving. I'll try Brno later today

Purg
27-05-2018, 08:53
Bathurst has a massive puddle coming onto pit straight. Real Bathurst, no such puddle even in a heavy down pour.

Simerection
27-05-2018, 09:11
Iracing doesn't have this problem because they don't know how to program rain, nor can they do day-night transition.
Soon they will have their famous "24hrs of Lemans in LATE AFTERNOON PARTLY CLOUDY" for an entire 24 hours.

Slightly Mad really opened a can of worms with this rain nonsense. Perhaps they regret it?

Zaskarspants
27-05-2018, 11:13
I think all these issues with rain are due to the newness of the concept, and the discussion is part of the inevitable evolution that is taking place as we all learn what a real simulated ( you know what I mean) wet track is like and sms learn how it is best shaped to please most of us most of the time.

I think some of the friction is the result of frustration from people finding it too hard as sms tune the whole idea.

Personally I only find rain very difficult, at times frustratingly so, when the weather is very extreme. This may or may not be realistic but it can become too challenging and perhaps not fun with some car track combos so perhaps should be adjusted. Hints of shallower puddles in p6 may help.

I actually like the almost un-drivable extremes but limiting deeper puddles to thunderstorm only would be sensible. I find the AI are slower in the wet.

Being British I am good in the rain ;-) but I am nowhere near mastering the heavier and or more powerful cars in torrential rain.

If I cannot avoid a puddle I know is deep then I lift off, often to zero throttle and get ready to correct. I try to take the same line through the bad puddles and ready myself for the inevitable correction in advance. My laps are 15% slower and many corners are a gear lower. The torrential rain makes driving the g40 feel like group A road a car in the dry with zero assists, on edge all of the time. I increase the tyre pressures 10% as that seems to help grip. Temps appear unimportant. I reduce brake pressure to 10 lower than my usual to reduce lock ups.

Personally I like the challenge and I think almost un-drivable conditions are fun. Some puddles may just be too deep for a sim and become fun limiting even if they do reflect real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2sQG93wxqM

Gav88888
27-05-2018, 11:41
For me puddles regardless of size add to the immersive experience, my grip is the AI just drives like they are not there which makes setting a skill level a nightmare in changing conditions.

Hopefully the proposed tweaks in patch 6 will help.

Gav88888
27-05-2018, 11:44
For me puddles regardless of size add to the immersive experience, my grip is the AI just drives like they are not there which makes setting a skill level a nightmare in changing conditions.

A simple dry to wet race, or wet to dry is difficult to judge, for example in the dry I set the AI at 100, but as soon as it rains they are 2-3sec a lap quicker. Which is more like AI 80.

Zaskarspants
27-05-2018, 12:04

A simple dry to wet race, or wet to dry is difficult to judge, for example in the dry I set the AI at 100, but as soon as it rains they are 2-3sec a lap quicker. Which is more like AI 80.

It looks to me that the AI often choose to go through puddles they could avoid. It does slow them down but they appear less likely to have to correct when doing so than the human driver. I find I can be faster by avoiding the puddles the AI drive through, they slow a bit but I don't in that circumstance.

You can see this on my video on the straight after the uphill chicane ( turn 4/5 I think).

fresquito
27-05-2018, 13:40
I think all these issues with rain are due to the newness of the concept, and the discussion is part of the inevitable evolution that is taking place as we all learn what a real simulated ( you know what I mean) wet track is like and sms learn how it is best shaped to please most of us most of the time.

I think some of the friction is the result of frustration from people finding it too hard as sms tune the whole idea.

Personally I only find rain very difficult, at times frustratingly so, when the weather is very extreme. This may or may not be realistic but it can become too challenging and perhaps not fun with some car track combos so perhaps should be adjusted. Hints of shallower puddles in p6 may help.

I actually like the almost un-drivable extremes but limiting deeper puddles to thunderstorm only would be sensible. I find the AI are slower in the wet.

Being British I am good in the rain ;-) but I am nowhere near mastering the heavier and or more powerful cars in torrential rain.

If I cannot avoid a puddle I know is deep then I lift off, often to zero throttle and get ready to correct. I try to take the same line through the bad puddles and ready myself for the inevitable correction in advance. My laps are 15% slower and many corners are a gear lower. The torrential rain makes driving the g40 feel like group A road a car in the dry with zero assists, on edge all of the time. I increase the tyre pressures 10% as that seems to help grip. Temps appear unimportant. I reduce brake pressure to 10 lower than my usual to reduce lock ups.

Personally I like the challenge and I think almost un-drivable conditions are fun. Some puddles may just be too deep for a sim and become fun limiting even if they do reflect real life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2sQG93wxqM
Having super large puddles that are hard to drive by is not my biggest complaint, but having them in light rain conditions. I like the challenge, but I also like controlling the conditions and at the moment for most classes light rain is as far as you can go for 15 minutes races. And even then, the last five minutes can be terribly tricky in certain cases.

Gav88888
28-05-2018, 13:43
I think we all agree that further tweaks are needed. Let’s see if SMS are listening.

satco1066
28-05-2018, 15:28
i think its a culture specific problem.
What most people feel as light rain is for englishmen a sunny day :p

Keena
28-05-2018, 17:02

Also known as "Summer".

Cholton82
28-05-2018, 17:07

Tell that to my garden , we have had a blinding May. But mostly the weather is pretty meh in the UK .
Itís not uncommon for a light drizzle to have hardly any effect on a track especially on the racing line , unfortunately I think it builds up too quick . Is it scaled in career ? So if say the race is 1hr long but we only choose to do 30 minutes do we get the full hours worth in half the time ?

Keena
28-05-2018, 18:36
Yup- theres another thread on it somewhere..

Cholton82
29-05-2018, 07:43
Yup- theres another thread on it somewhere..

So surely the ground is getting saturated far too quickly , especially if you are scaleing down endurance races which I do to around 1 hr 30 or in the case of Le Man 2 hrs however if I remember right there isnít any rain in that race .

Keena
29-05-2018, 07:45
So surely the ground is getting saturated far too quickly , especially if you are scaleing down endurance races which I do to around 1 hr 30 or in the case of Le Man 2 hrs however if I remember right there isnít any rain in that race .

Yes, as far as I remember that's the nuts and bolts of it.

Gav88888
29-05-2018, 08:10
I find it quite funny that the crowds are so enthusiastic that they wear t-shirt and shorts regardless of the weather conditions :)

Keena
29-05-2018, 12:01
I find it quite funny that the crowds are so enthusiastic that they wear t-shirt and shorts regardless of the weather conditions :)

t-shirts and shorts are what is worn in 'summer'. The thing that is missing is any sign of a handkerchief on the head of the bald folk in the crowds at British tracks. That's an immersion ruining omission for me.. ;)