PDA

View Full Version : Advice on car setups please

DeanUK
26-05-2018, 12:43
I'm finding some of the classes quite difficult to get a stable setup (even using the stable setup SMS provide). It's not a problem with the Touring Cars, Vintage Touring Cars or GT3,4,5 cars... mainly the Road cars and V8 supercar etc. I'm an S rated driver and only race online, so I'm not new to sim racing and in real life I can handle a car.

Out of the box a lot of the cars seem very twitchy, oversteery, low on grip etc. The engineer can't help on a lot of these cars as they may not be settings they can make.

I can usually make minor adjustments to the LSD, engine braking, but for some of these cars that's not really helping. I do wish there were some more pre-built setups available or even a more helpful engineer that could change more for you (tyre pressures, more indepth suspension changes etc). There's some great cars in this game that sadly until I get a PHD in tuning I won't ever get to try without crashing off on every apex.

I know a lot of the community love tuning, are more than capable of it and think it's an integral part of sim racing and I will probably be shot down for mentioning this. But most drivers in "real racing" give feedback to their team, describe the problem the car is giving them and then the team sort out the issues. I primarily want to race/drive on track without having to overcome the instability of the cars with complex changes above my pay grade, but am struggling to do this.

hkraft300
26-05-2018, 13:48
.... But most drivers in "real racing" give feedback to their team, describe the problem the car is giving them and then the team sort out the issues.

You’re not wrong.

So, how about we start with what car you’re driving and what issues you’re having, exactly? The more details of the symptoms the merrier :)

DeanUK
26-05-2018, 16:05
You’re not wrong.

So, how about we start with what car you’re driving and what issues you’re having, exactly? The more details of the symptoms the merrier :)

Thanks, I appreciate your assistance. Clio Cup Car, I get violent oversteer on fast corners, but it happens too quick to catch/counter steer. (I'm on a T300 wheel). I do recall the Clio was a handful on PC1 too.

My changes would be to add downforce on the rear, but I'm unsure about changing suspension height, stiffness, camber etc or even the tyre pressures.

blinkngone
26-05-2018, 17:52
Thanks, I appreciate your assistance. Clio Cup Car, I get violent oversteer on fast corners, but it happens too quick to catch/counter steer. (I'm on a T300 wheel). I do recall the Clio was a handful on PC1 too.

My changes would be to add downforce on the rear, but I'm unsure about changing suspension height, stiffness, camber etc or even the tyre pressures.

Have you already checked out some of Sloppysmusic Clio setups?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?62938-Sloppy-s-Fast-Stable-and-Fun-Career-Tunes-(G29)

DeanUK
26-05-2018, 19:38

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?62938-Sloppy-s-Fast-Stable-and-Fun-Career-Tunes-(G29)

Thanks, I'll take a look

davidt33
26-05-2018, 20:01

Yup. That should be a good resource. Quite comprehensive.

DeanUK
27-05-2018, 00:55

The clio setup was definitely better than the standard setup, but still lets go without any warning at times. I'm guessing its just a tricky car. The Ginetta GT5 setup on the other hand really did make a difference and my lap times improved by a couple of seconds. I was more competitive and even got a couple of poles. Thanks again for the info.

The Touring Car class which is my favourite for close racing, seems to be dominated by the FWD Renault Megane, personally I like the RWD BMW 320 but it is difficult to match the pace of the Renault (if I want to be competitive I pick the Renault myself, but if I want more fun I pick the BMW). Does anyone have a good setup for the BMW 320 TC?

If I had a wishlist for SMS, it would be a Touring Car pack DLC (happily pay for that as download pack - miss the TOCA days) - a class of very similar rated FWD and RWD cars would be so cool.

hkraft300
27-05-2018, 01:02
I hate FWD cars!

More rear downforce for the Clio if it's oversteer at speed. Also you want to keep the throttle pinned to keep the rear planted and when it wants to slide. Counterintuitive to drive fast.

blinkngone
27-05-2018, 02:32
The clio setup was definitely better than the standard setup, but still lets go without any warning at times. I'm guessing its just a tricky car. The Ginetta GT5 setup on the other hand really did make a difference and my lap times improved by a couple of seconds. I was more competitive and even got a couple of poles. Thanks again for the info.

The Touring Car class which is my favourite for close racing, seems to be dominated by the FWD Renault Megane, personally I like the RWD BMW 320 but it is difficult to match the pace of the Renault (if I want to be competitive I pick the Renault myself, but if I want more fun I pick the BMW). Does anyone have a good setup for the BMW 320 TC?

If I had a wishlist for SMS, it would be a Touring Car pack DLC (happily pay for that as download pack - miss the TOCA days) - a class of very similar rated FWD and RWD cars would be so cool.

Hey, the BMW TC is actually pretty close to the Renault in TT. Some people can do quite well with it in Multiplayer as well. If you check the WMD Portal at Monza for example you see that most of the runs are using Default and are still close to the tuned Renault.
The TC you will notice has the rear ride height lowered in Default(unusual) But if you look at the quickest Custom run at Monza you will see he has increased the rear ride height although it is still lower than "normal" setups for other rear drive cars.
Default ride height.
Custom setup ride height.
You can check the WMD portal here. http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=4241994684&vehicle=9503224

If you see a TT run you might like to look at on a particular track go to the Garage here and request a setup, it doesn't hurt anything to see how other people are setting up their cars even if their setup needs some modifications to suit your style.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?62627-Setup-Requests-for-Consoles(pictures)-Post-Patch-5-0

cpcdem
28-05-2018, 23:08
...and remember that the Megane got a good nerf in patch 2 (or was it 3?), so you can ignore the TT times done before last November, the car was around ons second faster back then, than what it is now.

About the Clio, my suggestion is to give it some more try to drive it with default setup. It is designed to be handling this "strange" way, and according to previous discussions here, this is how it behaves in real life, too, it's to help the drivers turn a car that would be otherwise extremely understeery. As hkraft said, use the throttle to manage the steering. Lift throttle to make it turn more, pedal down to stop it from turning any more. Learn to modulate the throttle while turning and when you get used to it and master it, I think you will really like it.

Racefanbeers
29-05-2018, 03:12
Are default setups just slow? I’ve been playing on 35 ai difficulty and it’s quite the challenge.

hkraft300
29-05-2018, 07:51
Are default setups just slow? I’ve been playing on 35 ai difficulty and it’s quite the challenge.

Considering more than a few guys have world records in TT with default setups: no. They're not slow.

In career/QR though depending on conditions you'd at least want to tinker with tire pressures, fuel load, maybe downforce.

No offense but at 35 AI it's not the default setups that's the issue, but don't be shy to have a read on the forum and other websites on tuning.

Zaskarspants
29-05-2018, 10:47
I did not touch set ups untill I reached AI 80.

I used default loose and still do but with some small adjustments.

But I do wish I had tweaked some settings as I progressed as it would have made things easier I now realize.

Specifically I find that default loose set ups are often much better to drive, for me, with reduced brake pressure. I also habitually put over run in a mid setting to help stability off throttle. I often tweak tyre pressures to get the hot temp right per tyre. I sometimes move the brake bias to rear as I like over steer on turning in.

I do not yet touch suspension or differentials but am going to start on diff adjustments next.

Racefanbeers
29-05-2018, 12:12
Considering more than a few guys have world records in TT with default setups: no. They're not slow.

In career/QR though depending on conditions you'd at least want to tinker with tire pressures, fuel load, maybe downforce.

No offense but at 35 AI it's not the default setups that's the issue, but don't be shy to have a read on the forum and other websites on tuning. oh well wishful thinking on my part. Need more practice I’ll get it.

hkraft300
29-05-2018, 12:41
I do not yet touch suspension or differentials but am going to start on diff adjustments next.

Check out the differential calculator, I'm sure it's in this here thread. (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?52783-Magic-inside!-Need-Help-With-Differentials) If not, good reading in there :)

oh well wishful thinking on my part. Need more practice I’ll get it.

Check out driver61 and safeisfast on YT.

When you're on track, find the racing line. That alone will cut multiple seconds off your lap times.