PDA

View Full Version : IndyCar: Indianapolis Motor Speedway Oval speed issue

SilkBC
29-05-2018, 17:51
Hello,

I just recently purchased PCars2 and leading up to the recent Indy 500, I was giving the track and oval setup for Indycars a go. In watching some folks on Youtube, and even the top time trial runs in the same car, I saw them able to achieve 245Mph+ on the straights. When I have tried (I am on a PC and using a G29 wheel), I cannot seem to be able to crack 240Mph, though more often then not I only get to about 236Mph or so at the end of the straight before having to go around the corner and lose speed there.

I have copied the setups of the drivers that I have seen achieve these 245Mph+ runs down the straights, but my results remain unchanged (I would have expected to maybe see at least a couple Mph change, but not even that)

I had read about some patches maybe changing things a bit with some of the cars and am wondering if this might have something to do with what I am experiencing? I am quite certain the other aspect is my driving, but I just wanted to see how much of it is driving and how much might possibly be change due to patches?

Thanks for your insight and any advice! :-)

AbeWoz
29-05-2018, 17:58
there was a change to the cars in one of the patches IIRC to reflect updated indy rules regarding P2P and power levels for Indy. So some of the older top times will be impossible to achieve i think.

But, Indy is also all about momentum and getting the proper race line for max corner/exit speed. Make sure downforce, radiator, and brake ducts are as low and you can comfortably have them. Brake ducts should be pretty much at 0 for Indy.

Smoked_Cheddar
29-05-2018, 18:51
Hello,

I just recently purchased PCars2 and leading up to the recent Indy 500, I was giving the track and oval setup for Indycars a go. In watching some folks on Youtube, and even the top time trial runs in the same car, I saw them able to achieve 245Mph+ on the straights. When I have tried (I am on a PC and using a G29 wheel), I cannot seem to be able to crack 240Mph, though more often then not I only get to about 236Mph or so at the end of the straight before having to go around the corner and lose speed there.

I have copied the setups of the drivers that I have seen achieve these 245Mph+ runs down the straights, but my results remain unchanged (I would have expected to maybe see at least a couple Mph change, but not even that)

I had read about some patches maybe changing things a bit with some of the cars and am wondering if this might have something to do with what I am experiencing? I am quite certain the other aspect is my driving, but I just wanted to see how much of it is driving and how much might possibly be change due to patches?

Thanks for your insight and any advice! :-)

You might be trying the same thing as me, funny thing is, I got in the 39.1 in private testing, compared to 39.4 in TT. Not sure why, maybe favorable conditions. Probably saw the same video for setup too.

Without the P2P it's just not going to happen.

However, I did get a 38.7 with some drafting help, seeing at least 249MPH going into the turns!

I've noticed during racing I get a lot of dirty air, but I'm going to make some setup changes and see if that helps.

jymp
30-05-2018, 01:19
Be nice to have the 18' car in PCars 2, even by mod.

Gregz0r
30-05-2018, 12:41
Yes, the 2018 and a mid 1990s indycar(road and oval spec) would be great.

dault3883
30-05-2018, 12:57
Yes, the 2018 and a mid 1990s indycar(road and oval spec) would be great.

mid 90's indy car if it was indy it was only oval if by road spec you are referring to a champ or CART car....which is different

iamjamen
30-05-2018, 13:47
mid 90's indy car if it was indy it was only oval if by road spec you are referring to a champ or CART car....which is different

CART (Championship Auto Racing Teams) was the sanctioning body of what were commonly referred to as "Indycars" during the 80s and first half of the 90s for all races except one, The Indianapolis 500, which was sanctioned by USAC. CART raced on a mixture of ovals and road courses with the majority being courses that turned left and right.

In 1994, the owner of Indianapolis Motor Speedway didn't like that CART was making money off of the "Indycar" name so he created his own sanctioning body called IRL (Indy Racing League) and took the "Indycar" name with him to create an open-wheel series that solely ran on ovals.

In 2003, CART went bankrupt and was reorganized and rebranded as Champ Car. The series ran exclusively on road courses and street circuits.

In 2008, Champ Car and IRL merged with IRL being the sanctioning body and Indycar being the official name of the racing series.

So basically it was a power struggle between a bunch of rich and semi-rich dudes that wanted more control and money at the expense of open-wheel racing fans. The real winners of this pointless sequence of events was NASCAR as a lot of oval racing fans and drivers migrated to what were thought to be greener pastures.

Azure Flare
30-05-2018, 15:35
In 1994, the owner of Indianapolis Motor Speedway didn't like that CART was making money off of the "Indycar" name so he created his own sanctioning body called IRL (Indy Racing League) and took the "Indycar" name with him to create an open-wheel series that solely ran on ovals.

Tony George didn't like the lack of American participation and that they didn't come up through the ranks of USAC, and thus ruining open-wheel racing in America for over 20 years.

SilkBC
30-05-2018, 18:17
First, thanks to everyone who has replied with their insight and own experiences.

You might be trying the same thing as me, funny thing is, I got in the 39.1 in private testing, compared to 39.4 in TT. Not sure why, maybe favorable conditions. Probably saw the same video for setup too.

Without the P2P it's just not going to happen.

However, I did get a 38.7 with some drafting help, seeing at least 249MPH going into the turns!

I've noticed during racing I get a lot of dirty air, but I'm going to make some setup changes and see if that helps.

In private testing I have been able to get a 39.6 (personal best), but I have to play with my gearing ratio a bit... I am redlining in 6th gear halfway down the straights now, but I am hotting 235MPH or so. I suspect with making my 5th and 6th gears a little longer I could probably get a couple more MPH on the straights.

Admittedly, I do need to work on my lines a bit (espesially around the corners, as I definitely take them a bit wide), and that should help quite a bit too.

Smoked_Cheddar
30-05-2018, 18:50
First, thanks to everyone who has replied with their insight and own experiences.

In private testing I have been able to get a 39.6 (personal best), but I have to play with my gearing ratio a bit... I am redlining in 6th gear halfway down the straights now, but I am hotting 235MPH or so. I suspect with making my 5th and 6th gears a little longer I could probably get a couple more MPH on the straights.

Admittedly, I do need to work on my lines a bit (espesially around the corners, as I definitely take them a bit wide), and that should help quite a bit too.

You're on PC right, try to use my ghost setup, save it as your own, and try that. Gears should be better set. Everything is set as closed as possible, so try not to do more than 5 or so laps with it.

SilkBC
30-05-2018, 19:58
You're on PC right, try to use my ghost setup, save it as your own, and try that. Gears should be better set. Everything is set as closed as possible, so try not to do more than 5 or so laps with it.

Yes, I am on PC (sorry, I probably should have specified that)

I can just do a search for your username in the TT and grab that?

Yes, I learned that the "hard" way... I had the radiator closed and was about 7 or 8 laps into a run then all of a sudden I start seeing my engine icon at the bottom right if my HUD going red. Realised afterwards my engine was getting damaged due to the overheating :-)

I really love this game. I haven't done any online races yet; I don't want to cause crashes every race and have everyone hate me :-) I find the AI is *very* aggressive in offline races, though. They have no problem hitting me from behind (though I am probably at least partly at fault for that, but still...)

Smoked_Cheddar
30-05-2018, 20:13
I can just do a search for your username in the TT and grab that?

I think you want to be in the track in TT, and just look for me in the 39.4's in the honda, .5 or .6 in the chevy. I can screen shot it later when i get home

Gregz0r
30-05-2018, 20:50
Iím referring to the years before the IRL.

skcusIHC
31-05-2018, 15:40
EDIT: I meant to post this in the other IndyCar thread that's been up on the front page

A fair amount of misinformation (or just simply unknown or changed) and things SMS kind of got wrong.

IndyCar does not use push to pass at all on any of the ovals. It's used on all road and streets for race sessions only. It is achieved by the turbo being allowed to produce 0.15 bar more of turbo boost over the normal turbo boost used on the road and street circuits. Turbo boost is how they achieve their different horsepower levels at varying types of tracks. This used to be achieved through pop off valves, but is now controlled electronically through software.

The current engine regulations have been in place since the 2012 season and will continue through the 2020 season. Each discipline is ran at a different turbo boost, which obviously results in different power levels. At Indianapolis only, the turbo boost is raised for Fast Friday practice, and both qualifying days on Saturday and Sunday. All other practice sessions during the month of May are ran at the race turbo boost level. However, Project Cars appears to have the power levels significantly off. In real life, the high boost level at Indy is still not equal to the boost level at the road and streets. It's actually a fair ways off. The cars would be incredibly quick if they had the road and street boost level at Indy and would most likely be breaking the track record.

Below are the current turbo boost levels and estimated horsepower at each level. Being that the current engine regs have been in place since 2012, I think it's safe to say that both Chevrolet (Illmor) and Honda (HPD) have made power gains over the span of the regulations. A 25 horsepower increase (excluding push to pass obviously) across the board would be a very safe bet, but at the same time it's a fairly dated engine technology so any gains have been minimal. Most of the gains have been through reliability. It seems SMS has got the road and street power correct, but they have the Indianapolis power too high, both for qualifying and race modes. This would help explain why we can break the track record (well, some people can).

Super Speedway - 1.3 bar (550-575 hp)
Fast Friday & Qualifying at Indy - 1.4 bar (625-650 hp)
Short Oval - 1.4 bar (625-650 hp)
Road & Street - 1.5 bar (675-700 hp)
Push to Pass - 1.65 bar (+60 hp)

The in game push to pass is a little different than the real life push to pass. Starting in 2017, they did away with a set number of uses. Instead, they were given a total time and could turn in on and off as they see want. They are given either 150 or 200 seconds depending on circuit. I suppose though that SMS had implemented the old style into the game before IndyCar changed up the regulations in the winter of 2016/2017.

The next set of engine regs begin in the 2021 season. For years, everyone has been screaming for more power. Engine displacement increases to 2.4 and remains a twin turbo V6. It's being rumored that methanol could be the fuel of choice, among other changes to increase power. I for one, absolutely miss the smell of methanol at the race track. It's something I grew up with and I guess it's a nostalgia type smell for me. IndyCar is claiming power levels will peak at 900 horsepower with the push to pass. It would seem that would put the power range at about 840 horsepower on the road and streets. It will have been 14 years in the waiting when it's here, but it's going to be pretty cool to see a proper looking open wheel car that is turbo charged and has too much horsepower for it's chassis and limited technology. A proper open wheel car if you ask me. However, if I was a betting man, I'd say that the Indianapolis horsepower levels stay right where they're currently at. IndyCar has seemed pretty content to only allow speeds to just creep past the 230 mph lap average mark. It's been 20 years of slowing the cars down to stay in that same range. I don't see that changing with the new regs.

skcusIHC
31-05-2018, 15:48

Through the 1996 season, CART was known as the "PPG Indy Car World Series". They raced on ovals, road, and street courses. A lawsuit by Tony George and his newly formed Indy Racing League required CART to abandon the "Indy Car" name.

skcusIHC
31-05-2018, 16:11

When you're setting your gearing up for a race at Indy, you're going to want to set 5th gear up to be your top gear and max speed when in clean air. 6th gear will only be used when you get behind another car and pick up a slip stream. In the slip stream, you'll be downshifting back down to 5th gear in the corners and back up to 6th going down the two long straights. It's also beneficial to set 4th gear as a "traffic gear". If you have to get out of the throttle for traffic, you'll want to be able to grab 4th gear and keep the RPM's and power in a peak range so you don't bog down and lose even more momentum.

Setting up the gearing for an IndyCar on a super speedway is a very different approach than one would take on a road course. This method keeps you in the RPM range that produces the most horsepower in all different scenarios. Very important for IndyCar oval racing.

iamjamen
31-05-2018, 16:24
Tony George didn't like the lack of American participation and that they didn't come up through the ranks of USAC, and thus ruining open-wheel racing in America for over 20 years.

Yes, I do agree that he ruined open-wheel racing in North America but the lack of American participation and USAC involvement was, IMHO, a more PR palatable excuse/reason for what he was doing.

F1_Racer68
31-05-2018, 19:56
For Practice and qualifying at IMS the game is giving maximum engine power equivalent to the p2p being activated full time. This allows the car to produce 720HP per telemetry.

In the race session, the boost level is reduced (effectively p2p power removed) this drops the engine power down to 660HP in race session.

While the "process" is correct per the real world regulations (IndyCar does use allow higher boost for qualifying), I think the amount of boost given in game is too high. I'm also not sure the HP numbers in game are.correct for 2016 specs.