PDA

View Full Version : Wheel/pad

Yorkshireboy
03-06-2018, 22:45
Has anyone bought a wheel and been a bit...underwhelmed? Been playing racing games with a pad for years and loved it. After playing PC2 a couple of months and reading some of this forum i thought I'd treat myself to one, been using it a couple of weeks now and I've got a decent set up, got the feedback how i want it and... I dunno, i just keep hankering after my pad, i think it misses me.

dault3883
03-06-2018, 22:47
Has anyone bought a wheel and been a bit...underwhelmed? Been playing racing games with a pad for years and loved it. After playing PC2 a couple of months and reading some of this forum i thought I'd treat myself to one, been using it a couple of weeks now and I've got a decent set up, got the feedback how i want it and... I dunno, i just keep hankering after my pad, i think it misses me.

pc1 and pc2 dont do well with pads from what iv heard from pad users i use a wheel on project cars games but a pad for every thing else i know how you feel you get used to it though

Yorkshireboy
03-06-2018, 22:59
I had a good career going with the pad before i bought the wheel and i thought it was fine. Had the AI difficulty quite low, but thats fine by me.

davidt33
04-06-2018, 01:25
Not me. I could never go back to a pad for racing.

hkraft300
04-06-2018, 02:05
What wheel are you using?
G29 > DS4.
I don't have the hassle of packing/unpacking my rig when I want to race. Couldn't go back to gamepad. I tried on my mate's xb1 forA horizon. No thanks.

dault3883
04-06-2018, 02:13
What wheel are you using?
G29 > PS4.
I don't have the hassle of packing/unpacking my rig when I want to race. Couldn't go back to gamepad. I tried on my mate's xb1 forA horizon. No thanks.

fixed that for you buddy

it depends for me some games the wheel control settings arent like they are in pcars and isnt really comfortable and some dont support wheels (i know shocking)

Daz555
04-06-2018, 10:47
I could never go back to a pad either. It just kills the immersive feel completely.

hkraft300
04-06-2018, 11:42
fixed that for you buddy
)

I meant G29 is better than the DualShock4 gamepad. I've used both on pc1+2 and... Ye, I'll stick to my wheel, thanks.
It's overwhelming at first, and the ffb is unfamiliar, and our hands and feet not quite coordinated enough for track driving. But in a few hours it becomes natural and so much more fun.

iggy
04-06-2018, 12:40
It's been a long time since I switched from pad to wheel... but as I recall, initially, driving with a wheel was very hard. However once I got used to the wheel and pedals, it was much more enjoyable and I got faster.

Fast forward a few months ago, I had gout in my left big toe, couldn't really press a brake pedal, so I tried to drive with a pad... forget about it... There's no way I can drive with a pad now, just no ability to drive smooth for me with a pad... I can't do it.

hkraft300
04-06-2018, 15:29
Gout? Rough.
Brake with the right foot?

Maskmagog
04-06-2018, 15:55
I went from a gamepad to wheel a couple of months ago. A little underwhelmed at first. Didn't really know what to expect, or how I wanted the FFB. Also, my TX was horribly notchy/grindy at first, then after a while it felt great. TRied a bunch of different settings. I think the wheel needed to be broken in. Took a while to settle in, and get used to both wheel and pedals, and FFB, and I was not faster in the beginning. Now, I would never go back to gamepad, so much more fun with a wheel, and better control over the car.

Yorkshireboy
04-06-2018, 21:15
Thanks for the replies, Playing on the pad again and much happier, the wheel has got to go.

iggy
05-06-2018, 12:57
Gout? Rough.
Brake with the right foot?

Yeah, it was rough... I made it worse by continuing to try and race and use my left foot. I'm not good at using one foot for throttle and brake, at least not at competitive speeds, so I just kept using the foot with sore toe. I should have just stopped racing until it went away, I probably prolonged the problem by continuing to race... ( that's how much I've been enjoying racing in PC2 ). I'm now taking medication to try and keep the gout away, I hope I don't have to deal with all that pain anytime soon... ( If you've never had gout, consider yourself very fortunate , imagine dropping a bowling ball on your bare toe, and having that pain continue for a week or more )

hkraft300
05-06-2018, 13:10
My younger brother, dad and best mate all have gout. It's bad.
I'm doing my best to avoid it with diet and exercise. Diabetes and gout are both common in my family, both sides.
I had a knee operation years ago and was supposed to be on crutches and out of the drivers seat for minimum 2 weeks. After 6 days I got bored and went for a drive. I couldn't turn my right knee to press the brake, so I kept my right foot on the throttle and started to left foot brake. Got smooth with it.
Can be done in reverse: I don't suppose you left foot brake on the street :)

Dave White
06-06-2018, 15:05
What wheel did you get? It's hard to imagine a decent wheel being less satisfying than a pad, but maybe a cheap one may not be great. Do you have pedals too (I guess you would have, but you didn't say)? Getting over the learning curve can be a bit tricky, but I couldn't imagine going back either for sim racing (it's ok for arcade games or racing the AI where you don't need to be so accurate).

hkraft300
06-06-2018, 15:26
Thanks for the replies, Playing on the pad again and much happier, the wheel has got to go.

What wheel? I call BS. Any ffb wheel is better than pad. Even a cheapo G29 is in another league from pad.

What wheel did you get? It's hard to imagine a decent wheel being less satisfying than a pad, but maybe a cheap one may not be great.

+1
Curious to know. I can see a non-ffb wheel not being that great.