PDA

View Full Version : The LeMans vintage track is the true star of the new DLC. who's with me?

Javaniceday
05-06-2018, 23:27
Everybody's celebrating the new cars. I get it, they're awesome. But as far as I can tell everyone's ignoring the vintage LeMans track. Even on this link http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?63550-Physics-of-Spirit-of-Le-Mans-DLC which breaks down the DLC content - not a single mention of the track.

And to me, the vintage track is the true momentous achievement featured here. Alongside with Spa and Monza vintage, it allows you step back in time. To drive something that is literally impossible for anyone to do anymore. Denied to professional race car drivers and fans alike simply because this version of the track doesn't exist anymore. It's lost to time and history. This track is a time machine.

Even more so, I think it's the first time it's been feature in any sim that I can think of. There's been recreations of historic tracks in previous games. GP Legends covered a lot of the basics. Nordschleife, Monaco, Spa. Newer games have covered a lot of the same tracks - AC has classic Monza. rFactor's got mods for classic monaco. Forza 7 has versions of modern LeMans w/o the chicanes.

But this might be the first time LeMans has been given the honor. To blast past the pits that are no longer there, to go full thruttle down the Mulsanne straight as it undulates up and down the hills with no downforce. To experience a sunset and sunrise as the true lunatics of motorsport did 40, 50 years ago.

Bravo SMS

EDIT- I'm not alone! I just saw another person make a post about this. Good! Let's merge the two threads :)

Eric Rowland
06-06-2018, 02:24
I'm with ya brother.....the film "LeMans" had an big impact on me and this DLC is a dream come true. rFactor had these cars and this track, but with all due respect, not on this level.
I just did some night driving and you almost outrun the headlights. You really have to learn your turn-in and braking points. I'm looking forward to some wet running.....at night......in traffic........

BigDad
06-06-2018, 04:24
Everybody's celebrating the new cars. I get it, they're awesome. But as far as I can tell everyone's ignoring the vintage LeMans track. Even on this link http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?63550-Physics-of-Spirit-of-Le-Mans-DLC which breaks down the DLC content - not a single mention of the track.

And to me, the vintage track is the true momentous achievement featured here. Alongside with Spa and Monza vintage, it allows you step back in time. To drive something that is literally impossible for anyone to do anymore. Denied to professional race car drivers and fans alike simply because this version of the track doesn't exist anymore. It's lost to time and history. This track is a time machine.

Even more so, I think it's the first time it's been feature in any sim that I can think of. There's been recreations of historic tracks in previous games. GP Legends covered a lot of the basics. Nordschleife, Monaco, Spa. Newer games have covered a lot of the same tracks - AC has classic Monza. rFactor's got mods for classic monaco. Forza 7 has versions of modern LeMans w/o the chicanes.

But this might be the first time LeMans has been given the honor. To blast past the pits that are no longer there, to go full thruttle down the Mulsanne straight as it undulates up and down the hills with no downforce. To experience a sunset and sunrise as the true lunatics of motorsport did 40, 50 years ago.

Bravo SMS

EDIT- I'm not alone! I just saw another person make a post about this. Good! Let's merge the two threads :)
Agree , this track is really nice .

rF2 has a great 1967 LeMans mod ! Its a absolute gem !

hkraft300
06-06-2018, 04:46
Haven't done a full lap of the track yet but the whole DLC pack is incredible.
The classic le mans stars, the modern machinery, the old track...
In saying that, the old track now gives a real place for the LH/Long tail/ LM spec prototypes and GTs to really open the taps.
For example I always felt the downforce spec Group C cars worked better at modern LM, not the LM versions.

breyzipp
06-06-2018, 06:57

For that highlighted reason I'm even more sentimental for Rouen-Les Essarts being in the game. That track is completely lost to time with the pits and grand stands completely gone, sections of track tarmac that are no more and whatever remains of it is used as a modern public road. There is an awesome video on YouTube where 2 Dutch guys on a motorbike go to France to check out where the circuit used to be. It's in Dutch, sorry for that, but might still be worth looking at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-S9RAC-qQs

For all the other historical tracks in Project CARS 2, at least they are all still used as a racing circuit today, of course with plenty of changes to the layout.

Back to the DLC, for me the historical circuit sure is the star of the pack as well, together with the 917K, 917LH, 512 M & 512 S to use on it. But I'm also very pleased we finally get the big 3 LMP1-H cars in the game as well. I don't even race LMP1 that much (2 fast for my taste) but it's great to have them, and with the multi-class system you can still enjoy them without even driving them. :) You can now create the combination of LMP1-H 2016 + LMP2 + GTE which is a really nice representation of Le Mans in the last couple of years without having RWD and Marek spoiling the fun. :)

The_Senser
06-06-2018, 07:16
The track is very nice. When the content of the DLC was announced I was a little disappointed and didn't really consider a vintage Le Mans as being a new track but merely a variant of an existing one, but have to say that it does look very different to the modern version. SMS have done a great job with this track, and the fact that the had added a couple of additional cars that was a nice bonus.

BrainsBush
06-06-2018, 07:22
Agree! Love the classic tracks. Also Hockenheim :)

Kitt
06-06-2018, 08:18
Love the track, sooo much better without those pesky chicanes

Gix916
06-06-2018, 09:12
I like corners.(foot to the floor for what seems like ages = yawn). for me the new LeMans is a better track, but the old track is much more different in layout than I expected and will no doubt grow on me like the classic Monza & Hockenheim have.

I like the corners with the berms on them. Interesting when you forget they are coming until the last minute and end up on 2 wheels getting round..

balderz002
06-06-2018, 09:24
Its deffo the highlight for me. The modern LMP are meh for me, the vintage cars are great. The track is amazing. So much better to drive than the modern circuit (I don't even care about the lack of chicanes on the Mulsanne)!

dodge33cymru
06-06-2018, 10:47
Maison Blanche is probably my favourite corner in the game, can make such a huge difference how much you attack it but attacking it hard and sliding through it is somewhere between thrilling and terrifying.

balderz002
06-06-2018, 12:20
Maison Blanche is probably my favourite corner in the game, can make such a huge difference how much you attack it but attacking it hard and sliding through it is somewhere between thrilling and terrifying.

Also love the sand banks!

morpwr
06-06-2018, 12:21
Also love the sand banks!

I may have used those a couple times last night.....:o

Hugo Catarino
06-06-2018, 12:48
I am with you!

Classic Le Mans is my dream track,the 24h are my fav race and i am a vintage lover above all,so i always dreamed of having this track.I can only say thank you so much to SMS for listening to the community and making the effort to put it in the game.
It feels tighter than i would expected,but nevertheless its amazing!

RobertOldgit
06-06-2018, 13:21
I have to agree the Classic Le Mans track is great and a credit to the guys at sms that created it. In some ways the track is hard work. After tweaking the FFB on my T300 to be closer to the feel of these classic cars the Mulsanne straight can be a bit of a workout fighting the wheel of a 917LH at 235mph. The bends, especially those like Mulsanne corner, Indianapolis corner and Arnage can be a bit tricky as there is hardly if any run off. But hey, that's how it was and I'm loving it :)

All in all, they have done a great job, my only criticism, made in a previous post is the use of the modern day pit crew who look so out of place. A re-skin of these animations would be really good for the final level of realism. Maybe patch content at some point for all historic tracks.

RoccoTTS
06-06-2018, 13:25
350 km/h on the straight.........150m braking...........crash........oops i forgot i was in a vintage race car :o

sas5320
06-06-2018, 13:29
Mark Adams runs a great track art team, deserves a raise.

For me this new classic Le Mans is right up there in quality of Long Beach

hkraft300
06-06-2018, 13:39
Anyone run the LM spec group C cars there yet? That’s got to be hair raising.

Smoked_Cheddar
06-06-2018, 13:43

Someone was talking that the AI didn't seem that fast on them in a different thread. I've not run them yet myself. I actually want to take the ford GT (60's version) out as well. Hopefully someone hits 400KPH.... ;)

Gregz0r
06-06-2018, 14:18
Agreed with the OP.
Without doing research before time, I had feared that the vintage would be too old, with no Armco etc.
I ideally wanted a mid 80s version for the Group Cars to also look good on, but this version does the job superbly.

That being said, the Group C AI are a bit slow overall, even on 120 skill and 100 aggression.
I was able to match and beat them fairly easily, when my limit is usually around the 85-95 skill region.

Gregz0r
06-06-2018, 14:26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr63J0hQd4k

A.I: 120% Skill, 100 aggression.

VelvetTorpedo
06-06-2018, 14:29
loved the sound of the cars at the start, that was cool

hkraft300
06-06-2018, 15:23
A.I: 120% Skill, 100 aggression.

Nice dive bomb end of the straight on lap 1 there. I was sure you were going in the wall!
236MPH. You can do better :p

Deathbox_2112
06-06-2018, 15:43
The Can-Am 917/10 is amazing at Vintage LeMans. Hosted a couple of races last night and had a load of fun. Got it up to 243mph last night/no draft.
This track is incredible. There was a LeSarthe version for the Nascar 2003 GTP mod that we ran like crazy. I always thought it was a converted GPL track, but maybe I'm wrong?

Like the NR2003 conversion, I can imagine running a zillion laps on this Vintage LeMans beast. So glad to see this added to the already great content for PCars2.

Thanks, SMS. This is AWESOME!!

Plato99
06-06-2018, 15:53

Bravo SMS

Hey, dont forget Rouen-Les-Essarts :)
On June 10th this year the track is being reopened to race cars and bikes for the first time since the 90s. Happy days, and hopefully the start of something big.

Plato99
06-06-2018, 16:00
I have to agree the Classic Le Mans track is great and a credit to the guys at sms that created it. In some ways the track is hard work. After tweaking the FFB on my T300 to be closer to the feel of these classic cars the Mulsanne straight can be a bit of a workout fighting the wheel of a 917LH at 235mph. The bends, especially those like Mulsanne corner, Indianapolis corner and Arnage can be a bit tricky as there is hardly if any run off. But hey, that's how it was and I'm loving it :)

All in all, they have done a great job, my only criticism, made in a previous post is the use of the modern day pit crew who look so out of place. A re-skin of these animations would be really good for the final level of realism. Maybe patch content at some point for all historic tracks.

Flat caps and smoking Gitanes while refuelling ?!

Christiaan van Beilen
06-06-2018, 16:12
For that highlighted reason I'm even more sentimental for Rouen-Les Essarts being in the game. That track is completely lost to time with the pits and grand stands completely gone, sections of track tarmac that are no more and whatever remains of it is used as a modern public road. There is an awesome video on YouTube where 2 Dutch guys on a motorbike go to France to check out where the circuit used to be. It's in Dutch, sorry for that, but might still be worth looking at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-S9RAC-qQs

For all the other historical tracks in Project CARS 2, at least they are all still used as a racing circuit today, of course with plenty of changes to the layout.

Back to the DLC, for me the historical circuit sure is the star of the pack as well, together with the 917K, 917LH, 512 M & 512 S to use on it. But I'm also very pleased we finally get the big 3 LMP1-H cars in the game as well. I don't even race LMP1 that much (2 fast for my taste) but it's great to have them, and with the multi-class system you can still enjoy them without even driving them. :) You can now create the combination of LMP1-H 2016 + LMP2 + GTE which is a really nice representation of Le Mans in the last couple of years without having RWD and Marek spoiling the fun. :)

There is another circuit in SMS their drawers that is almost lost. It is the Solitude Rennstrecke near Stuttgart.

The loft (track itself) is really accurate and I had the joy to drive it during development (still have the captured footage).

The darn thing just needs dressing and so on to finish it. I wish SMS would release it already, as also this track is one of those great tracks with high speeds and nasty corners. A mini Nordschleife in a way.

Old tracks are great tracks. They have a different atmosphere and also provide a different tension to the drivers.

More! More I say! Give me more old tracks! :)

shiftee
06-06-2018, 16:32
I wish we had a historical tier in career, as I never get to race these tracks much being a career offline guy. Sure they include invitationals, but I don't really enjoy one-off races with no relative purpose. I love the Silverstone historical track too, mainly because I don't even recognize it and feels like completely new track. its a fun drive. This is what a custom career option would be PERFECT for! set up all these glorious historical tracks in a series for your favorite car classes and go to town. hopefully the custom career mod returns at some point, I would take that as a DLC over one of these season pass packs even..

breyzipp
06-06-2018, 16:41
I wish we had a historical tier in career, as I never get to race these tracks much being a career offline guy. Sure they include invitationals, but I don't really enjoy one-off races with no relative purpose. I love the Silverstone historical track too, mainly because I don't even recognize it and feels like completely new track. its a fun drive. This is what a custom career option would be PERFECT for! set up all these glorious historical tracks in a series for your favorite car classes and go to town. hopefully the custom career mod returns at some point, I would take that as a DLC over one of these season pass packs even..

Agreed. Or custom championships combined with a custom grid tool so we can make our own. ;)

RoccoTTS
06-06-2018, 16:49
Agreed. Or custom championships combined with a custom grid tool so we can make our own. ;)

The best solution to please everyone ;)

RobertOldgit
06-06-2018, 17:49
Flat caps and smoking Gitanes while refuelling ?!

RLMAO

That nearly sums it up. Oh yes with the odd pipe sticking out of the top pocket, and a Jackie Stewart cap and a cravat :D:rolleyes:

But seriously matching overalls would do.

Christiaan van Beilen
06-06-2018, 17:52
There is another circuit in SMS their drawers that is almost lost. It is the Solitude Rennstrecke near Stuttgart.

The loft (track itself) is really accurate and I had the joy to drive it during development (still have the captured footage).

The darn thing just needs dressing and so on to finish it. I wish SMS would release it already, as also this track is one of those great tracks with high speeds and nasty corners. A mini Nordschleife in a way.

Old tracks are great tracks. They have a different atmosphere and also provide a different tension to the drivers.

More! More I say! Give me more old tracks! :)

Quoting myself... I thought I'd share a relaxed lap I did around the Solitude race track one time in pCARS 1 build 397. Upload date was 5 years ago already!!! Holy, how time flies.

ps. Sorry about turning the 'car radio' on. It's Joe Satriani though, so it's not the worst music. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw0mElpAVfo

Some videos of the real thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiiusH-ITh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhiBrYa2Fss

Stewy32
06-06-2018, 19:42
Quoting myself... I thought I'd share a relaxed lap I did around the Solitude race track one time in pCARS 1 build 397. Upload date was 5 years ago already!!! Holy, how time flies.

ps. Sorry about turning the 'car radio' on. It's Joe Satriani though, so it's not the worst music. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw0mElpAVfo

Some videos of the real thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiiusH-ITh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhiBrYa2Fss

Nice!Hopefully we will see it at one point.

balderz002
06-06-2018, 20:14
Grp 6 are also great period fun!

Gregz0r
06-06-2018, 21:25
Nice dive bomb end of the straight on lap 1 there. I was sure you were going in the wall!
236MPH. You can do better :pHow though? I was running minimal downforce, and the final gear bogs down one click higher.

Scuderia Paul
06-06-2018, 21:27
Credit where it's due, Le Mans Vintage is a brilliant circuit and very nicely put together. I love the period track-side vehicles at the vintage circuits in PCars2.

Tank621
06-06-2018, 22:41
Hey, dont forget Rouen-Les-Essarts :)
On June 10th this year the track is being reopened to race cars and bikes for the first time since the 90s. Happy days, and hopefully the start of something big.

Wait really?

Plato99
11-06-2018, 16:15
Apparently :)
I follow the group on Facebook and commented on how it would be great to see racing on the circuit again.
I got a lovely reply in French about the event at the weekend.
I was surprised as the road is quite a busy road these days. Certainly turning right back on to the start / finish straight takes a while to find a gap in traffic. I did three laps there in 2016 in my trusty Ford B-Max. My wife wondered where the heck I'd taken her and the kids and then suddenly piped up "ahhhhh I get it, this used to be a race track didnt it, you can tell!" It was at that point I pulled all of the pictures out of the glovebox of all the key points around the circuit. The Nouveau Monde hairpin is still amazing. You can see the cobblestones underneath the worn tarmac. The "safety chicane" at Six Freres is still there too. It was installed after Schlesser's fatal crash in 1968 to slow cars coming down the hill. It just sits there and looks like a lay-by.

UkHardcore23
11-06-2018, 18:29
Played it today for the first time, The track is F**K**G AMAZING!!!!!! Oh boy SMS are the masters of older tracks as i seem to remember in Shift they were great as well.

More old tracks please SMS for DLC or future titles. So much atmosphere in older tracks compared to the bland courses of today!

Olijke Poffer
11-06-2018, 18:49
For me it has to many pedal to the metal straights.. I do like smaller tracks like Oulton, zolder etc more than those long straight tracks..

Stewy32
11-06-2018, 21:48
I find it a thrill to drive in the 2016 LMP1s(particularly the Audi).Is anyone else finding the Hybirds a bit of a handful sometimes out of Indianapolis if you get on the throttle a tiny bit to much or a tiny bit to early.

Shoemaker
11-06-2018, 23:46
Vintage Le Mans event. Anybody managed hit the magical 240mph in the Porsche yet ? I can’t get above 231 mph and that’s in a slipstream. I’ve tried different gearing but no joy yet. Maybe close some air intakes or something because I keep getting overtaken by the other 2 Porsche.

Beastie
11-06-2018, 23:53
I was pleasantly surprised by how different the circuit was in 71 to the current one. It's like a whole new circuit almost.

I was expecting the 72 version or later for some reason.

UkHardcore23
12-06-2018, 09:58
I caused a slight bump or two after getting on the grass and losing it...Oops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws_IfxchVHI

TorTorden
12-06-2018, 14:44
Racing might be the only place in life where I take the "Stay off the grass" signs seriously.

RobertOldgit
13-06-2018, 13:07
All that carnage and the AI still manage to drive off.... hehe

I was shunted off by the AI at speed and hit the hay bales full on... Front end of the Porsche 908 I was driving flew off and my Team Engineer announced that "The suspension is damaged, drive back to the pits if you need to" Never mind the suspension, send an Ambulance... PLEASE!" I joked at the screen.... BTW your feet are ahead of the front wheels in that car... Ouch!!!

Cladandadum
13-06-2018, 18:04
I caused a slight bump or two after getting on the grass and losing it...Oops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws_IfxchVHI

Sponsored by paracetamol.

Shogun613
15-06-2018, 17:46
I just stumbled onto this magnificent video on YouTube. Now I feel like getting into a 917 or 512 and throwing them around every classic circuit in the game...

https://youtu.be/j9XCEM4S2yY