PDA

View Full Version : LMP1 (2016) Power Curves

Zeratall
06-06-2018, 01:22
Hey all, I'm the developer of PC2Tuner over at RacingSimTools.com, the tool is mainly a way to tune the car, however I did add a "dyno" feature of the tool. Because of all the excitment around the new DLC, I figured you would all like to see the power curves for the new LMP1 cars.

The curves were generated using the following method.
1) Shift into 3rd. Come to a complete stop.
2) Shift into 4th, while holding KERS (KERSdoesn't engage until a certain RPM threshold).
3) Shift into 5th and stop data collection.

Audi R18

Porsche 919

Toyota TS050

headder
06-06-2018, 08:18
So the AUDI has 1400nm of tourqe? :D
Just imagine such beast on a public road trying to pass traffic :)

CastrolGT
06-06-2018, 09:08
yup. that's the true diesel torque. a real beast. and you wonder why it has the best top speed of the 3? :D

ELAhrairah
06-06-2018, 09:19
yup. that's the true diesel torque. a real beast. and you wonder why it has the best top speed of the 3? :D

How come it was the slower one of the three at Le Mans?

Ofnir4
06-06-2018, 09:43
Because top speed does not equal better lap times at le Mans.

ELAhrairah
06-06-2018, 10:04
Because top speed does not equal better lap times at le Mans.

So they had the strongest PSU but aero wasn't good enough?
That's a shame. I really liked the Batmobile.

Ofnir4
06-06-2018, 10:59
The diesel had the fuel mileage advantage, the ACO removed it by forcing them on a smaller tank to be on par with Porsche and Toyota for stint duration. Which ended up as 1 lap disadvantage for Audi in every stint in the end. I think the car was competitive, maybe too much for the ACO, they went a bit too far and it was nowhere near close enough to the other two, the rest of the season, not bound by the same BoP, the car was pretty competitive.

Zeratall
06-06-2018, 11:24
That's some really good info right there, very cool.

Casey Ringley
06-06-2018, 14:03
Neat plots! I like how your method captures the turbos spooling up. One tweak you might want to make in the process is to use 5th gear for recording in the Porsche and Toyota. The Audi, with a 6-speed gearbox, is comfortably up to the 300kW hybrid limit at 200km/h through most of 4th gear. The Porsche needs 5th (of its 7) to hit the same speed for 300kW output and the Toyota only gets there right at the end of 4th gear. Both are 'hiding' some of the power in your charts as a result.

TexasTyme214
06-06-2018, 14:10
Neat plots! I like how your method captures the turbos spooling up. One tweak you might want to make in the process is to use 5th gear for recording in the Porsche and Toyota. The Audi, with a 6-speed gearbox, is comfortably up to the 300kW hybrid limit at 200km/h through most of 4th gear. The Porsche needs 5th (of its 7) to hit the same speed for 300kW output and the Toyota only gets there right at the end of 4th gear. Both are 'hiding' some of the power in your charts as a result.

I'm having a really hard time getting the 919 to keep up with the low drag R18. Would it help to quickly shift into a higher great before using the KERS in the 919?

Casey Ringley
06-06-2018, 14:20
Not really. With the 919, you want to use that extra 2MJ hybrid advantage and be on it quickly from the corner exits. Burn slightly longer than you would in the R18 (up to about 280kph instead of 260) and shift near the 7800rpm mark. The ICE power curve is so flat that it doesn't make a huge difference if you shift +/-300rpm of that mark; it will be near the 500hp peak after the shift either way. Top speed will still be slightly down on the Audi, but the lap is won by getting to top speed more quickly rather than by having a bigger one.

RvN76
06-06-2018, 14:30
I think that plot is measured directly from then engine right? Then there comes the point that the diesel engine has a much lower RPM range. They have to use a lower gear ratio to reach the same speed which reduces the advantage in engine torque by a big margin. So the difference in actual power on the wheels is not as big as the engine torque is. To me it's a compromise in gearbox that you have to make to adapt to the feature of the engine

Casey Ringley
06-06-2018, 14:45
Right. Speed is energy, and power is energy change with time. All other things being equal and compensating for gearing differences, it's a direct correlation between power and acceleration. For a comparison across these three, it might even make most sense to have vehicle speed on the X-axis and power output on Y rather than a traditional dyno plot style of power vs engine rpm.

Zeratall
06-06-2018, 15:50
I could easily add it in if you'd like, so this tool was never meant to be used for comparison for top speed comparison but rather as a way to figure out where your power band is so you could use my gearing calculator.

That being said, I've been working on a tool to calculate the coefficient of drag and coefficient of lift for a car, and how it changes when increasing the front and rear wing in the settings. I could easily add in speed on the x axis if you'd like.

g1oomey
06-06-2018, 17:47
So the AUDI has 1400nm of tourqe? :D
Just imagine such beast on a public road trying to pass traffic :)

No it doesn't :D, it's just formula fallacy, since power is a product of torque and rpm, but electric engine is all by itself, and it's just a sum of engine torque and some substitution for electric torquish thingy :)

Even more than that, it's different depending on gear, so in higher gear you get more `torque` on same rpm, couldn't factor it out on old lmp1's so graphs were always messy.

https://imgur.com/a/KqIUjO6 first image is without kers, second with it, funny enough torque output is same on 5th and 6th gear, but lower on all others.

so it's around 1100 on engine only and whooping 2100+ with electric on 5th/6th gear.

Zeratall
06-06-2018, 18:45
Did you run out of kers near the end of that run? Guessing that's what the drastic drop in power is?

TexasTyme214
06-06-2018, 19:03
Not really. With the 919, you want to use that extra 2MJ hybrid advantage and be on it quickly from the corner exits. Burn slightly longer than you would in the R18 (up to about 280kph instead of 260) and shift near the 7800rpm mark. The ICE power curve is so flat that it doesn't make a huge difference if you shift +/-300rpm of that mark; it will be near the 500hp peak after the shift either way. Top speed will still be slightly down on the Audi, but the lap is won by getting to top speed more quickly rather than by having a bigger one.

That's why. I'm shifting too early. I am issuing the KERS on both cars until 280kph, but it seemed to be far more effective in the R18. I'll give it another shot. Currently I'm doing 3:15/3:16 in the R18 and 3:19/3:20 in the 919 during time trial mode.

g1oomey
08-06-2018, 11:28
Yup, i shifted there, so that part of the graph was not updated.