PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing?

PUGS
07-06-2018, 00:18
Hi everyone. I like downloading vehicle setups from the time trial screen because it quite frankly, saves me a lot of time that I don't have. I almost like to think of it as having my own "engineering team." I will make small tweaks to my own liking from time to time, but nothing crazy. It's been working out pretty well.

Today, I downloaded a setup for my Ginetta G55 on Red Bull National and took it for a spin against the record time holder and I was quit happy with my pace. So I decide to jump back into career mode. Same track. Same car. I go to qualifying and the car is somewhat unstable. Turns are tougher, I feel like I have 0 grip (even after 6 laps), I can no longer reach 6th gear on the straight away...and the most disheartening - the CPU on 55 (something I can usually manage well) is smoking me. I qualified for last place and feel like I did it with a car I never drove. What am I missing here? Why is the car driving differently? And if it is temperature is a factor, why doesn't it effect the cpu like it does to me?

Thanks

PUGS
07-06-2018, 19:11
143 views and no comments...Here is some more details. The career race had a temp of 50 degrees while the time trial had 95 degrees. Track temp was much colder in career. So...what does this mean?

I don't know...so should I just chalk this up as another programming issue and throw it in the pile where nothing effects the AI? Kind of like rain?

AbeWoz
07-06-2018, 19:16
a 45degree difference and you wonder why the car has no grip....

switch to soft tires, adjust pressures to be around 25PSI HOT, close the brake ducts a bit and radiator to keep oil temps around 210-220F

Also, as has been stated many many many times, the AI and player use different physics models to reduce CPU strain.

PUGS
07-06-2018, 19:30
a 45degree difference and you wonder why the car has no grip....

switch to soft tires, adjust pressures to be around 25PSI HOT, close the brake ducts a bit and radiator to keep oil temps around 210-220F

Also, as has been stated many many many times, the AI and player use different physics models to reduce CPU strain.

Thanks for your post. I will take the advice you provided and apply it, but that last sentence bothers the hell out of me. So basically, is the AI not playing by the same rules as me? It was my understanding that the AI won't tinker with the car settings until level 80. So at level 50 (where I am at), are they just completely immune to cold weather? Does it not effect them like it effects me?

Invincible
07-06-2018, 21:20
It does affect them too, only their tire model isn't as sophisticated as yours and isn't simulated as deeply as yours. If their where, 3 ai cars would bring your cpu to their knees.
So ai cars are more like: "whoah it's cold, so I only have this much grip" whereas for your car, track temperature, severeral tires temperatures, friction, carcass deformation, brake heat and much more goes into the equation to exactly figure out how much grip you have under any given circumstances. And this is happening 600 times per second.

PUGS
07-06-2018, 22:03
So ai cars are more like: "whoah it's cold, so I only have this much grip" whereas for your car, track temperature, severeral tires temperatures, friction, carcass deformation, brake heat and much more goes into the equation to exactly figure out how much grip you have under any given circumstances.

So...is it possible that the gap between the AI's programming (this is how much grip I have) does not match the CPU difficulty when accounting for weather? I just can't seem to wrap my head around this anymore and it's driving me mad. Because from me eyes, it looks like if all is equal between the cpu and me at say...level 70... it changes once weather is injected into the equation.

Or making this a bit simplistic: 70 (Dry) = Moderate; 70 (Wet) = Hard. Am I wrong here?