PDA

View Full Version : Driver Swap

Ajnn
25-09-2017, 09:11
The Swap pilot function on Multiplayer will be available on a future update or is only available in offline mode?

David Semperger
25-09-2017, 09:48
It is planned to be included in Multiplayer in one of the later patches.

azidahaka
26-02-2018, 18:07
I was wondering if the promised Hot swap driver feature that was promised has seen any kind of news, it was one of the most sought after features for both pc and consoles since it would allow racing groups to recreate amazing races like nurb 24h in real time with friends from over the world.

Thanks and sorry in case it was already mentioned or discussed; i couldn't find trace of it.

AbeWoz
26-02-2018, 18:50
I was wondering if the promised Hot swap driver feature that was promised has seen any kind of news, it was one of the most sought after features for both pc and consoles since it would allow racing groups to recreate amazing races like nurb 24h in real time with friends from over the world.

Thanks and sorry in case it was already mentioned or discussed; i couldn't find trace of it.

I don't think it was ever *promised* but it was on the list of features to be included. Last I heard (before game release) was that it would not be included in the game at launch but *might* be added in later.

azidahaka
27-02-2018, 16:46
well it seems i must have seriously misunderstood things then... Thanks for cleasring it up and i hope to see some news about this since it was a major selling point to me.

Glasnost
28-02-2018, 07:08
It's probably the only feature I care about. With the announcement of that new AC game I think if pcars2 doesn't have a driver swap feature once it's released it'll crush the pcars player base.

satco1066
01-03-2018, 01:18
and who tells, that AC:C will have driver swaps?
From a, lets just say 1 million driver base, just some 100s need this feature. So why do you think not having this feature will crush the driver base.
That doesn't mean, i do not want driver swaps, just think your assumption is unrealistic.

Glasnost
01-03-2018, 03:33
Even if the new AC doesn't have it.. that game will draw away alot of players... the bulk of the current pc2 base run gt3; then a game with the official license and tracks and bells and whistles made by the "golden child, can do no wrong " of sim racing (AC) comes along... it won't boad well.

My point is Pcars2 would be smart to start carving out its niche now as the best multi class endurance sim platform..rather then rest on it laurels because IF AC can pull off a surprise and drop an officially licensed iracing style multiplayer endurance game with driver swaps.. multi class or no... I know which Id rather play.

David Slute
01-03-2018, 05:24
It will be months, possibly a yr before you need to start worrying about players possibly switching titles. Between now and its full release it will give plenty of time for SMS to add features and polish pc2 before another more than likely "beta release" title hits the market.

Am I the only one that remembers the AC steam adds " coming spring 2013?
It never fully released till christmas 2014

They have some work to do before ACC releases...several new laser scanned tracks have to be completed, wet weather physics and a wet tire model have to be created....which to my knowledge they have not had in any past title?

My yr might be off by one but isin't ACC suppose to be based on the 2018 or 2017 blancpain season? If it's 2018 there still gonna need data for each car and any possible changes to the rules/regulation etc.
I'll say it now.....ill be amazed and praise Kunos if they break the current trend we've seen over the past 10 yrs of releasing unfinished racing titles and release a polished product.

Personally....I look forward to the title but I am not gonna get my hopes up that we will see a complete product within the yr...... But I could be wrong ?

In the meantime ill enjoy what I already have :)

RomKnight
01-03-2018, 09:10
Driver swap is THE feature to make proper use of what pC2 offers. TBH it should've been on pC1 already. Having all this features to make proper endurance but driver swaps is a bit of a let down.

One ofc can argue about ROI and all that though I don't care. Driver swaps must be in a simracing title as default feature if you ask me.

Ofnir4
01-03-2018, 12:02
Even if the new AC doesn't have it.. that game will draw away alot of players... the bulk of the current pc2 base run gt3; then a game with the official license and tracks and bells and whistles made by the "golden child, can do no wrong " of sim racing (AC) comes along... it won't boad well.

My point is Pcars2 would be smart to start carving out its niche now as the best multi class endurance sim platform..rather then rest on it laurels because IF AC can pull off a surprise and drop an officially licensed iracing style multiplayer endurance game with driver swaps.. multi class or no... I know which Id rather play.

So you would trade 180+ cars (base game) and 60 locations for 12 cars and 12 locations plus driver swap ? (180c + 60l < 12c + 12l + 1ds)

Solving your own equation that would mean driver swaps is the single most important feature of any game.

Would you switch game for 5 new tracks, 3/4 new cars, more Blancpain liveries and a feature ?

Drizute
01-03-2018, 13:22
AC did a very smart thing with this release appealing t the majority of the base of online racers.. GT3, what comes of it.. who knows, but still very strong marketing tactics.. for that well done.

MaXyM
01-03-2018, 13:43
your calc logic is flawed in multiple aspects. Let me give you most obvious one: cars and tracks are not created by the same developer who is (would be) responsible for driver swaps.

However while I'm a fan of hardcore/endurance racing, the fact is, that number of drivers looking for such long races which require swaps is way too low comparing to drivers who prefered short races. So I understand it has no priority or even never be implemented.

Another case are bugs ans issues. Current ver PC2 is not able to show race results with confidency. I could imagine driver swap feature escalating number of such issues. Just imagine a need of tranfering a setup between cars across the network. Right now you cannot even use changed car setup without saving it.

I think if you want to consider trading (if any) then you should focus on coding area. then indeed, issues/game infrastructure improvements come first, before the driver swap feature.

Ofnir4
01-03-2018, 14:07
your calc logic is flawed in multiple aspects. Let me give you most obvious one: cars and tracks are not created by the same developer who is (would be) responsible for driver swaps.

You buy a package, a bundle, there is no cherry picking any single dev for any given feature or aspect of a game.
You erase any identical or similar features in the game and count them as "all other things being equal" and focus on the differentiating factors.

I guess we will see how ACC handles it and if it's even used. There are always sim with great features in a poor package. (Not saying ACC will be bad, but the format of the game compared to AC and what made it a sucess is a bad move)

M. -VIPER- Morgan
01-03-2018, 14:10
Driver swap is THE feature to make proper use of what pC2 offers. TBH it should've been on pC1 already. Having all this features to make proper endurance but driver swaps is a bit of a let down.

One ofc can argue about ROI and all that though I don't care. Driver swaps must be in a simracing title as default feature if you ask me.

I totally agree. Only with driver swap between human players longer races are doable in multiplayer.
And only in longer races all the features of pcars2 can really shine, like day/night cycle, dynamic weather/livetrack, tire wear, strategies, pit stops, etc.

And as you already stated, I also think it was already in plan for pcars1. And there was a livestream with an australian guy after release of pcars2 where Ian mentioned that it maybe happen with patch 4.
Which was not the case. I hope for patch 5.

satco1066
01-03-2018, 16:34
Hope dies last. But i think you won't be amazed with patch5. There are still more major things to solve. :ambivalence:

RomKnight
01-03-2018, 21:53
As long as it comes... Others took years and don't even have stuff competition has since years...

Sure, everything will eventually be the same among all competitors but we're not there yet so... yeah, if iRacing has it and AC has it for blancpain sanctioned AC:C (it makes sense so I think it'll be there as Blancpain does have and endurance component) if SMS can make it before it it'll be a good move. Obviously DEV houses have a better sense of marketing than I do but this is kind of a pet peeve of mine and probably the only think I keep bitching about :p

Glasnost
02-03-2018, 02:11
Those 180 cars and 60 locations will be pointless with no online player base.. I don't care about single player or hot lapping.
I love PC2 for its multiclass racing and having a solid group of mates helps.
PC2 despite all the hate it gets is the best multiclass endurance sim on the market. They have the cars the tracks the day/night cycles and the weather. All they are missing is driver swaps.
If I were Pcars2 I'd be looking to add this feature to solidify that and ensure the games longevity and relevance within the sim community.

But if another game can offer driver swaps for endurance races day night and weather... and isn't locked behind a pay wall its a big carrot.

Ofnir4
02-03-2018, 10:15
That sim you envision already exists, it's called rF2. That is the endurance reference PC2 is chasing.

cluck
02-03-2018, 11:22
That sim you envision already exists, it's called rF2. That is the endurance reference PC2 is chasing.Erm, no, that's iRacing. rF2 is a much cheaper alternative though, no doubt about it (shame neither of them can even hold a candle to the visuals of pCARS2, amongst many other things).

Ofnir4
02-03-2018, 11:39
Not by his definition.

offer driver swaps for endurance races day night and weather

and isn't locked behind a pay wall

Until Iracing gets day/night transition (in the work, so not that far) and weather, but also changes it's pricing model,rF2 is the best you can get. (buying the URD PX and EGT mods and downloading the GT3 world series mod gives all you need to race in a number of leagues for the price of what, 3 cars in iracing ?)

cluck
02-03-2018, 13:40
Not by his definition.

Until Iracing gets day/night transition (in the work, so not that far) and weather, but also changes it's pricing model,rF2 is the best you can get. (buying the URD PX and EGT mods and downloading the GT3 world series mod gives all you need to race in a number of leagues for the price of what, 3 cars in iracing ?)Missed that part, oops :o

Still a shame rF2 still looks and sounds so primitive (compared to pCARS2 at least) or I might play it a bit more for the proper endurance stuff.

Ofnir4
02-03-2018, 13:59
rF2 is the very definition of a great gift with very poor presentation. At least it runs semi-decently on run of the mill PC. :D (haven't played it much since DX11 was fully introduced)

All the features are great (except maybe damage and sound), but all things visual (tire marks, marbles, rain, dry line vs wet parts) are done to be minimally impacting the sim, so it looks poor.

If PC2 had a safety car and driver swap it would be rF2 visually perfected, in my opinion.

MaXyM
02-03-2018, 14:25
and file based car setup system
and replay system (qual replays, formation lap replays, scrolling replays)
and working dedicated server (MP)
and proper evaluation of race results
and dozens of other things other sims have for ages while SMS treats them as new features requests.

To be clear, I doesn't play rf2 because I cannot stand multimedia part of it. Actually I requested refund a year after open beta started. Today, with the Studio they have a second chance to bring this title to simracing world with mandatory gfx/sfx quality. Quesion is, isn't it too late now.

cluck
02-03-2018, 15:29
^^^ and pCARS had a proper day/night transition (and weather) before any of the others (in fact, it's only rF2 that also now has it, AC, RRRE and iRacing are still stuck with fixed points in time and dry weather) so what's your point? That pCARS2 is missing some features that a particular sub-set of the sim community desire? Every sim has a deficiency in one area or another, if you are in the category that wants that thing that is missing. No sim out there caters for everything, which is quite possibly why we still have a number of them rather than "1 Sim to rule them all".

Until such time as a sim comes along that truly delivers everything, it's really a case of "pick your poison"

As to driver swaps, it's the only thing currently missing from pCARS2 that I want for myself so it would be lovely if it can be delivered at some point in the future.

MaXyM
02-03-2018, 16:11
As to driver swaps, it's the only thing currently missing from pCARS2 that I want for myself so it would be lovely if it can be delivered at some point in the future.

So, you say you don't care if the game is not able to report proper race results, but want driver swaps at the first place? How can you imagine 24h race, without possibility of reporting valid results at the end, or check 24h replay for incidents?

I'm not arguing that there is one sim better than other. I giving a point, PC2 is still missing core features (or has it bugged) which makes impossible to use this game as a tool for serious racing (considering endurance racing to be serious hobby). yeah.. rF2 is still ugly, other games provide no day-time/weather transition but they have estabilished solid core features required for competitive activities like simracing. I believe no one here can say racing is possible without confident results.

Mad Al
02-03-2018, 16:15
So, you say you don't care if the game is not able to report proper race results, but want driver swaps at the first place? How can you imagine 24h race, without possibility of reporting valid results at the end, or check 24h replay for incidents?

I'm not arguing that there is one sim better than other. I giving a point, PC2 is still missing core features (or has it bugged) which makes impossible to use this game as a tool for serious racing (considering endurance racing to be serious hobby)

He said missing, not incorrectly implemented.. stop putting words into the, not so young as he was, mans beak..

MaXyM
02-03-2018, 16:23
I can answer you with the same mood: stop playing words.
Feature which is buggy or incomplete, impossible to use, is effectively missing.

We have no any confirmation which issue is a bug, design decision or missing feature and which one will be added in incoming patches.

And yes, I would also welcome driver swap feature. But without all fixes and some missing features (like improved replay system), it will end up as another shiny thing ommited by leagues/drivers.

Mad Al
02-03-2018, 16:37
I can answer you with the same mood: stop playing words.
Feature which is buggy or incomplete, impossible to use, is effectively missing.

We have no any confirmation which issue is a bug, design decision or missing feature and which one will be added in incoming patches.

And yes, I would also welcome driver swap feature. But without all fixes and some missing features (like improved replay system), it will end up as another shiny thing ommited by leagues/drivers.
Give it a rest

cluck
02-03-2018, 16:39

I'm not arguing that there is one sim better than other. I giving a point, PC2 is still missing core features (or has it bugged) which makes impossible to use this game as a tool for serious racing (considering endurance racing to be serious hobby). yeah.. rF2 is still ugly, other games provide no day-time/weather transition but they have estabilished solid core features required for competitive activities like simracing. I believe no one here can say racing is possible without confident results.As Al beat me to saying, it's the one thing I want that is missing in its entirety.

However, I would also add that just because you (or some other people) want a particular feature, to fulfil your requirements for a 24hr race, it doesn't mean I do. I like racing, I often care little about the end result, the racing itself is the important part for me. Now, I'm not saying that the features you mention aren't important at all, they clearly are to some people but they aren't to me :)

Again, I come back to my point. Choose your poison. If pCARS2 doesn't have the things you want, play something else that does satisfy that criteria. If pCARS2 supports those features in the future, great, maybe play pCARS2 instead of whatever else it is you play now.

I've done endurance racing in iRacing. I don't want to (because I can't stand racing in a fixed time for an entire race, it's unnatural, never mind my dislike of the audio or the handling). I would love to do endurance racing with some of my league friends in rF2 but I simply cannot look past how damn ugly it is (both visually and aurally). So I'll bide my time and hope that driver swaps are added to pCARS2 and, in the meantime, will stick to races up to 2-3 hours long :). That's the poison I've picked and, to be quite honest, it's pretty damn tasty poison :)

OddTimer
02-03-2018, 17:26
It's been confirmed by Kunos on their blog ACC will have drive swaps.

Drizute
02-03-2018, 17:34
Surely the issue with disconnect/reconnect has to be tackled first...

I mean, if you have a disconnect, for whatever reason, currently that's it... bye bye no chance of rejoining.
Thats all fine an dandy in a 15min race, your running a 24hr race and it disconnects after 12hrs... some one is throwing their toys...

Like the ichasing crew, surely this has to be an option, BEFORE we get driver swaps, with the ability to return to the race in the event of accidental disconnect?

Driver swaps, without this feature imho... recipe for disaster, especially based on issues with servers in the past.

STaLLiOnO
02-03-2018, 17:37
Before SMS can think of player swaps.. They need to fix their online coding issues. The pits are still buggy, and you can barely race with 10 in a lobby.

AbeWoz
02-03-2018, 17:46
Before SMS can think of player swaps.. They need to fix their online coding issues. The pits are still buggy, and you can barely race with 10 in a lobby.

microsoft just needs to make a better console.

Ofnir4
02-03-2018, 17:52
Back to driver swap, how would it work ? double the server size to assign 2 (or more maybe) driver per car ? Spectators that can JIP if you select them in the driver swap menu ?

MaXyM
02-03-2018, 22:36
Since rf/rf2 has it for ages, there is no need to reinvent the wheel again.
Yes, new driver has to be connected as spectator (which is possible already) prior to swap. I can imagine the bigger problem for current game infrastructure will be car setup transfer. it's because today, you have to save setup prior to use it in the car.
Then there are details, like, 2 driver might want to use different controller so some setup params should be possible to override (like steering lock, brake pressure)

Ofnir4
02-03-2018, 22:41
Yeah, Ian Bell only has to call S397 and tell them to give him the code, open the game and throw the rF2 code in there, Voila, a new feature ...

MaXyM
02-03-2018, 22:45
You asked how should it work. It has been already invented and SMS knows how it works.
How it will be implemented, strongly depends on PC2 code, the game infrastructure therefore it's in programmer hands. I don't think there is anything we can help with.

azidahaka
03-03-2018, 09:44
I totally agree. Only with driver swap between human players longer races are doable in multiplayer.
And only in longer races all the features of pcars2 can really shine, like day/night cycle, dynamic weather/livetrack, tire wear, strategies, pit stops, etc.

And as you already stated, I also think it was already in plan for pcars1. And there was a livestream with an australian guy after release of pcars2 where Ian mentioned that it maybe happen with patch 4.
Which was not the case. I hope for patch 5.
Yeah i was positive it was mentioned as coming.

It's been confirmed by Kunos on their blog ACC will have drive swaps.
Well i wonder how long until they are ready for release. I would prefer to hace the feature on pcars2!

Back to driver swap, how would it work ? double the server size to assign 2 (or more maybe) driver per car ? Spectators that can JIP if you select them in the driver swap menu ?

Probably a system that puts you in queue in pits until you get an auto dc and the other driver joins in from your friendlist.

ProDriver
05-03-2018, 10:24
We want to do a 24h. race, but for that endurance race, we need the possibility of change the driver from a real one, to another real one.

We thought that swap driver did not mean that if you want to do a 24h. race, you must put your car driving with an IA when you have finished you stint.

If there any dev who can confirm if the swap driver should be implemented from one to another in the future or if that issue will be always like the IA take control of your car??

Glasnost
05-03-2018, 10:48
I believe that It was something they (the dev's) said they MAY consider.

As to whether or not it will we don't know. There was thread regarding this, but the general inclination I got was that it is alot of work and the there are other aspects and priorities which the PCARS 2 team would rather put their hard work into.

It was bought up that the feature of real driver swaps is a niche desire within the pcars community.

I for one think if they can iron out what few bugs are left and implement real driver swaps that pcars 2 will be the most complete racing sim on the market. And if I were calling the shots I'd be pushing hard for it as a feature. But I'm not a video game developer nor do I have any insight into what such a feature would take.
All we can do is wait and see and pray.

Konan
05-03-2018, 11:08
All we can do is wait and see and pray.

...agree with the first two...pray is a bit OTT for a game...:p

Glasnost
06-03-2018, 07:08

Sim racing is love, sim racing is life.

I know it's a small segment of the player base that want this feature.. but I think it would really be the cherry on top... assuming the other issues get fixed or polished off or whatever (I haven't got many gripes with the game... but I'm sure many many people have)

RomKnight
06-03-2018, 15:46

And like other subjects NOT allowed here IIRC the rules...

/edit - insert ":p" last

damn smile got out of the way, sorry Konan despeite being correct, I believe, was more inline with jest kind of tone than anything else.

M. -VIPER- Morgan
04-06-2018, 09:07
I hoped for this feature in patch 6, but nothing in the changelog.
It hasn't been discussed for a long time.
Is it still in plan?

Fearless-RSA
08-06-2018, 09:19
May I ask if PC2 will ever have the driver swap function for human drivers so you can form a team of up to 4 people and do a 24 Le Mans championship? I do not see the point of buying the Spirit of Le Mans DLC if this feature isn't working.

OddTimer
08-06-2018, 11:57
Unlikely.

TorTorden
08-06-2018, 12:41
Just the track alone is worth it imo.

And the vintage cars, oh Lord the cars !

ProDriver
09-06-2018, 08:07
Lemans, the mitic race of Lemans is a resistance race, one of the most important races of the world.

Now, with that dlc we have: awesome new cars, the mitic track with a beautiful recreation, a fantastic game... but!!!!

We dont have de resistance option. A team cant race an endurance race because of the lack of that option, not only for lemans, but also for others endurance race with swap driver. SMS have that issue medium implemented, with an option in ICM. Now is the moment to close the circle: the option should be that te car was managed by the IA when you select that opcion in the ICM menu, in that moment the car alone is droved to the pitlane and gives you the option to invite the following driver. Now two scenarios:

- The following driver acept the invitation - when the car stoped, first it occure the sincronization of the driver, then it occure the pitstop with the new driver.

- The following driver do not accept the invitation -When the car stoped, a mesagge says that no driver is sincronizating and do the pitstop and let the actual driver to continuous driving.

Yes, I know that the migration of the information could be a problem to make it possible, maybe others problems cant let us enjoy that issue... But I would like to know if it is possible to have that issue in the future in the game or not. If the reply is not, I would like to have why in order to avoid it definetly or give ideas to force a solution.

Bealdor
12-06-2018, 05:55
Multiple threads merged.

Ulti
16-06-2018, 23:21
Hello.

So since the Le Mans pack is in full swing and Le Mans itself is underway... I've been wondering if it will ever be possible to do proper Endurance races in PCARS 2... I mean 24h races.

At this point the game's servers are still pretty trash and driver swaps will be a must.

Does anyone have any idea if this will even be possible in the future?

Bealdor
16-06-2018, 23:27
Threads merged.