PDA

View Full Version : I hope SMS expand length of online replay time.

LtYpE
10-06-2018, 23:08
We enjoy online race at weekend. And i like to watch replay after races. But present specification of saving replay is not enough to save long races. We can save 46~59min races. I hope to save replay and watch 2h~ more. Could you expand replay data? It makes more enjoyable. Sorry for my bad english.Thank you.

LtYpE
10-06-2018, 23:31
and i hope SMS expand setting data to save settings more than 50. Project CARS 2 has a lot of tracks and conditions. It is very good things. But 50 setting is not enough each car. I hope to save more settings.

Zaskarspants
11-06-2018, 09:06
and i hope SMS expand setting data to save settings more than 50. Project CARS 2 has a lot of tracks and conditions. It is very good things. But 50 setting is not enough each car. I hope to save more settings.

There isnt a limit in xbox so I presume there is not one on ps4? Are you sure?

I mean for set ups, the replay limit is unlikely to change for console reasons I think.

Sankyo
11-06-2018, 10:53
I suspect that these limitations are imposed by the platform and not something that SMS designed.

LtYpE
11-06-2018, 11:42
There isnt a limit in xbox so I presume there is not one on ps4? Are you sure?

I mean for set ups, the replay limit is unlikely to change for console reasons I think.

I didn't know that happens only on PS4 until now. It is sure on PS4.My friends also can't save after 60min at race start. We can save after 46~59 min at race start. I hope we can save replay without limitation on PS4. Thank you for your informations.

LtYpE
11-06-2018, 11:44
I suspect that these limitations are imposed by the platform and not something that SMS designed.

I hope that there are some solutions on ps4.

Zaskarspants
11-06-2018, 11:51
It is sure on PS4.My friends also can't save after 60min at race start. We can save after 46~59 min at race start. I hope we can save replay without limitation on ps4. Thank you for your informations.

Read what I wrote. There is no limit for set ups.

If you wish to save long races use the dvr function, I presume the ps4 can do this? It also avoids the long wait to save.

LtYpE
11-06-2018, 15:52

If you wish to save long races use the dvr function, I presume the ps4 can do this? It also avoids the long wait to save.

Sorry. you talk about set ups.
There is limit of set ups on PS4. I checked it and it appears others on patch 6.0 and previous.
If there are over the 50 set ups, tempolally game can have alound 63 set ups(if save more, app crushes.), end settions (like private test, online race, custom race) and start settions agein, disapper 51~ on PS4.
Im not good at english, so i cant understand about "dvr" function. sorry.

LtYpE
11-06-2018, 23:18
And i wonder why size of save data is limited to 1GB. I think it is caused by restriction of 1GB size in PSplus cloud strage before 2015.So PCARS1 was also limited 1GB.But now 2018, it is not limited to 1GB per app on PS4 system.
If improvement comes, very happy. And i hope so. Thank you.

Daz555
12-06-2018, 10:32

Recording gameplay or streaming is not the same as a replay and almost useless for leagues who want to marshal races and make judgements on drivers breaking rules etc. What we need is the storage limitation on replays lifted. At the moment on PS4 it is about 45mins or so which means my league cannot use replays in any of our races.

sloppysmusic
13-06-2018, 21:42
These issues are also covered in these two threads (here and gtplanet):

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?63442-Hard-limit-on-number-of-saved-setups-for-each-car-on-PS4-If-so-what-is-it

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/hard-limit-on-number-of-saved-setups-for-each-car-on-ps4-if-so-what-is-it.378992/#post-12358074

In storage/save storage in ps4 settings each game has 1GB max storage.
Replays, ghosts and setups all save in the same area,
Replays are approx 200MB, ghosts 4.20MB and setups 3.15MB.
Once the folder is full (showed 880MB on mine) you will not be able to create any more replay saves, ghosts OR setups.
There is ALSO a hard limit on the number of setups allowed per car. Somewhere around the 52 figure.

LtYpE
13-06-2018, 23:24
These issues are also covered in these two threads (here and gtplanet):

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?63442-Hard-limit-on-number-of-saved-setups-for-each-car-on-PS4-If-so-what-is-it

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/hard-limit-on-number-of-saved-setups-for-each-car-on-ps4-if-so-what-is-it.378992/#post-12358074

In storage/save storage in ps4 settings each game has 1GB max storage.
Replays, ghosts and setups all save in the same area,
Replays are approx 200MB, ghosts 4.20MB and setups 3.15MB.
Once the folder is full (showed 880MB on mine) you will not be able to create any more replay saves, ghosts OR setups.
There is ALSO a hard limit on the number of setups allowed per car. Somewhere around the 52 figure.

Thank you sloppysmusic.I know that limitations in ps4.
"In storage/save storage in ps4 settings each game has 1GB max storage." It is wrong. Sony sets no limitation of save size each game. I call Sony Support and confirmed that.Sony limited only 1000 saves per game. So SMS limit to 1GB, and i hope improvements come.

Sankyo
14-06-2018, 08:57
Thank you sloppysmusic.I know that limitations in ps4.
"In storage/save storage in ps4 settings each game has 1GB max storage." It is wrong. Sony sets no limitation of save size each game. I call Sony Support and confirmed that.Sony limited only 1000 saves per game. So SMS limit to 1GB, and i hope improvements come.
We're talking about the game saving data in the cloud, which has a 1GB storage limit.

maxx69
14-06-2018, 09:39
Not sure if this has been answered anywhere before ....but....never had these issues on pcars 1 , is this something new from PS ? I had a ton of videos that were full length league races and a ton of setups .
Replays were limited , but only after hours and hours of saves .
So frustrating as someone's mentioned to try and steward league races and go to save some crucial changes before a race only to be told it's unable to save .
What happened between the two games , did Sony suddenly impose a limit ?
So frustrating to have the game working almost flawlessly and get this ....pcars 1 one we could save the replays and setups but the game let you down .

Bealdor
14-06-2018, 09:48
Not sure if this has been answered anywhere before ....but....never had these issues on pcars 1 , is this something new from PS ? I had a ton of videos that were full length league races and a ton of setups .
Replays were limited , but only after hours and hours of saves .
So frustrating as someone's mentioned to try and steward league races and go to save some crucial changes before a race only to be told it's unable to save .
What happened between the two games , did Sony suddenly impose a limit ?
So frustrating to have the game working almost flawlessly and get this ....pcars 1 one we could save the replays and setups but the game let you down .

PCARS 2 replay files are bigger because there's much more data being saved. That's why they're hitting the file size limit much earlier.

Sessionerror
14-06-2018, 10:03
PCARS 2 replay files are bigger because there's much more data being saved. That's why they're hitting the file size limit much earlier.

Though pCARS 2 replay files are bigger in general, there seems to be another issue compared to pCARS 1. In pCARS 2, the replay files are being cut off at 264,9 MB - this definitely didn't happen in pCARS 1. In long races, we were still able to save replay files that were larger than this 264,9 MB limit that seems to be existent in pCARS 1.

maxx69
14-06-2018, 11:43

What data exactly is so taxing on the file size ?
I've saved 45 min replay with sixteen cars on track , in the dark , in a storm /rain /heavy fog and I've also only been able to save 45min replay with eight cars in clear weather.
I'm not being argumentative , more inquisitive :/

Bealdor
14-06-2018, 11:50
What data exactly is so taxing on the file size ?
I've saved 45 min replay with sixteen cars on track , in the dark , in a storm /rain /heavy fog and I've also only been able to save 45min replay with eight cars in clear weather.
I'm not being argumentative , more inquisitive :/

Most likely Livetrack data.

LtYpE
14-06-2018, 12:29
We're talking about the game saving data in the cloud, which has a 1GB storage limit.

There isn't 1GB limit in the cloud now. There have been 1GB limit in the cloud till 2015. Old informations about saving data in the PS4 cloud.

Bealdor
14-06-2018, 12:37
There isn't 1GB limit in the cloud now. There have been 1GB limit in the cloud till 2015. Old informations about saving data in the PS4 cloud.

Just because the end user has a higher limit now doesn't mean Sony doesn't impose any limits on the developers.

LtYpE
14-06-2018, 13:01
And I wonder why Project CARS 2 uses cloud storage to saving replay. Profile and setting data is meaningful to use cloud. But uploading replay isn't meaningful i think. Do Stopping uploading replays and saving replays local only enables replay file to be bigger and us to watch replay longer ?

LtYpE
14-06-2018, 13:06
Just because the end user has a higher limit now doesn't mean Sony doesn't impose any limits on the developers.

Ok.Sorry. Does it means PC and XBOX have 1GB limit?

Sankyo
14-06-2018, 13:16
Ok.Sorry. Does it means PC and XBOX have 1GB limit?

No, they don't have that limit. Which suggests strongly that Sony limits the cloud storage.

LtYpE
14-06-2018, 13:29
No, they don't have that limit. Which suggests strongly that Sony limits the cloud storage.

Thank you for information. But sony says no limitations for saving data and uploading to the cloud storage except for 1000 saves per app. And i confirmed that calling and actually uploaded more than 1GB save data per app to cloud storage. We can upload more than 1GB data per app. So i think SMS don't know that.

Bealdor
14-06-2018, 13:31
Thank you for information. But sony says no limitations for saving data and uploading to the cloud storage except for 1000 saves per app. And i confirmed that calling and actually can upload more than 1GB per app to cloud storage. So i think SMS don't know that.

I can assure you that they know exactly what kind of limitations they have to work with.

LtYpE
14-06-2018, 13:37
I can assure you that they know exactly what kind of limitations they have to work with.

Ok. But why only PS4 ?

Bealdor
14-06-2018, 13:42
Ok. But why only PS4 ?

You're asking the wrong people mate.
Us mods don't know and I'm pretty sure the devs aren't allowed to talk about it. Tbh, it's very likely that we (mods) are already posting too much about this topic.
So the only info that I'm going to add to this discussion is that there must be reasons why those limitations exist.

LtYpE
14-06-2018, 13:46

I am sorry to cause you inconvenience, if you can contact them, could You ask them about it actually ?

LtYpE
14-06-2018, 13:50
You're asking the wrong people mate.
Us mods don't know and I'm pretty sure the devs aren't allowed to talk about it. Tbh, it's very likely that we (mods) are already posting too much about this topic.
So the only info that I'm going to add to this discussion is that there must be reasons why those limitations exist.

I understand. We are dead end.
Thank you for replying many times.

Sankyo
14-06-2018, 15:31
I am sorry to cause you inconvenience, if you can contact them, could You ask them about it actually ?
The devs are aware, but at this stage of the game's development cycle I don't think things will change anymore unless it's a very easy change with no risk. Any new functionality is very probably not going to happen.

simsimsheree
16-06-2018, 16:52
One presumes that, during initial design, the devs knew about the limitation. So why still go ahead with a version of the feature they knew would be totally unacceptable? Knowing 40 min was the limit, and how that would be received if forced on the PC players (it would have killed the game for league players dead, no kidding), why were console users (I believe the same issue exists for XB1, doesn't it?) not worth the development time to set up non-cloud storage for replays..?

BTW, we still haven't heard from anyone in the know why the save limit for PC2 is half the length of the save limit for PC1, despite it being the exact same platform...

Bealdor
16-06-2018, 16:56
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51983-KNOWN-Workaround-post-56-149-Career-progress-gone&p=1483229&viewfull=1#post1483229

simsimsheree
16-06-2018, 17:03
This doesn't explain anything. The devs appear aware that they had a 256MB limit to cloud saves from the gitgo, and went ahead with using it anyway rather than local saves.

That doesn't honestly indicate much caring about the issue, does it? How hard is it to change the save location of a file?

Bealdor
16-06-2018, 17:15
This doesn't explain anything. The devs appear aware that they had a 256MB limit to cloud saves from the gitgo, and went ahead with using it anyway rather than local saves.

That doesn't honestly indicate much caring about the issue, does it? How hard is it to change the save location of a file?

Depends on if the first parties actually allow them to only save those replays locally.
You don't know the limitations the devs have to work with so please don't assume they're limiting your experience on purpose.

simsimsheree
16-06-2018, 17:34
When other games have no issues with local saves, I don't think it's fair to blame the problem on externally imposed limits.

I understand SMS face a huge uphill battle developing for PC and then porting, and this very much feels like an issue that got lost in the shuffle. But, unfortunately, two of the issues that are not facing PC players (room titles and save limits) are also making console use far harder to deal with. And they are issues that don't affect other console games. I'm sorry, but blaming the platform doesn't really explain it. Blaming the port, however, does.

Bealdor
16-06-2018, 17:43
When other games have no issues with local saves, I don't think it's fair to blame the problem on externally imposed limits.

I understand SMS face a huge uphill battle developing for PC and then porting, and this very much feels like an issue that got lost in the shuffle. But, unfortunately, two of the issues that are not facing PC players (room titles and save limits) are also making console use far harder to deal with. And they are issues that don't affect other console games. I'm sorry, but blaming the platform doesn't really explain it. Blaming the port, however, does.

Every game/developer has to work with different conditions/limitations. Some games don't have a 1GB cloud limit, PCARS 2 has. And it's not there because SMS thought that'd be a great idea.
As I said, don't assume things when you don't know all the details.

simsimsheree
16-06-2018, 18:05
I don't assume I'm correct. But, when faced with virtually zero developer commentary, it's hardly unfair to speculate. You may have noticed, I use phrases like 'it feels like', etc..

I don't assume I'm correct. Please don't assume I'm wrong... We both face the same lack of information.

Sankyo
18-06-2018, 07:19
I don't assume I'm correct. But, when faced with virtually zero developer commentary, it's hardly unfair to speculate. You may have noticed, I use phrases like 'it feels like', etc..

I don't assume I'm correct. Please don't assume I'm wrong... We both face the same lack of information.

You could also stop assuming things and posting unfounded guesses about the developers and design decisions, as it's adding nothing to the forum. It certainly doesn't invite the devs to the forum to interact.

simsimsheree
18-06-2018, 15:11
You could also stop assuming things and posting unfounded guesses about the developers and design decisions, as it's adding nothing to the forum. It certainly doesn't invite the devs to the forum to interact.

We must be utterly different, then. Because, if I were a dev, and people were posting guesses (that quite accurately fit the facts) and they were incorrect, I would extremely quickly post with the correct information.

The plain truth of the matter is, you are guessing I'm wrong. And no-one would be happier than me to get an answer from the devs as to the issue. Other games manage local saves. Why not PC2?

The only ones adding nothing to the forum lately are the devs.

Bealdor
18-06-2018, 15:17
We must be utterly different, then. Because, if I were a dev, and people were posting guesses (that quite accurately fit the facts) and they were incorrect, I would extremely quickly post with the correct information.

The plain truth of the matter is, you are guessing I'm wrong. And no-one would be happier than me to get an answer from the devs as to the issue. Other games manage local saves. Why not PC2?

The only ones adding nothing to the forum lately are the devs.

Two things:

1. As I already told you, the devs aren't allowed to talk about most of those limitations, especially about the why. So don't expect them to break their NDA just to make you happy.
2. If there are limitations on specific platforms what's more likely? That SMS added them for fun/no reason or that it's a platform specific limitation that is not their fault?

simsimsheree
18-06-2018, 15:33
Quite honestly, given the intense focus on PC development, I don't assume anything when it comes to the console port. Design decisions that they can't get out of may have been taken way early in development before they considered the console development progression.

And, when it comes to a design decision that massively impacts even the narrow league focus the game has (just about everything that makes casual racing easy on other games has been either omitted or dropped on consoles), with respect to a maximum replay time of well under an hour (when their previous game had double the replay time), I would think that no less than Ian Bell himself (presumably not tied to an NDA, given how forthright the devs were with information until just recently) might want to chime in an give us an explanation, and, if not able to offer us a fix in this game, at the very least a hard and fast promise that this issue will not continue on the next PC game, and a brief description of how this happened.

You keep thinking that the current stony silence from the devs is the norm here, but it is easy to look at the early post release days (up until Patch4, if the truth be told) and see that the devs and the head guy himself seemed to have no issues explaining things in the past. So the NDA excuse doesn't really hold water.

But the bottom line about this (and several other issues) is, they are not new issues to PC2. Most of them were present in PC1. Either there's an explanation as to why they persist, and whether it is impossible for them to be fixed in PC3 due to platform restrictions, or we are going to have to assume they will never go away. Given the game's intense focus on organized leagues as the only way to find decent rooms to race in, a replay system completely useless to leagues running races longer than 40 minutes is only going to encourage the more serious player (apparently, the only player SMS care about) to look to other games that seem to find no problem with longer replays.

I doubt that is something SMS really want, is it?

The ball is in SMS's court. If they don't want people to assume things that fit the facts, if they don't want players migrating to other games without their issues, a bit of communication would go a long way.

You know, like they USED to...

Sankyo
19-06-2018, 07:11
... Ian Bell himself (presumably not tied to an NDA, ...
You presumed wrongly. Not sure how you got the idea that if MS/Sony says "SMS cannot say anything publicly about XXXX", the SMS CEO does not need to stick to that?

You keep thinking that the current stony silence from the devs is the norm here, but it is easy to look at the early post release days (up until Patch4, if the truth be told) and see that the devs and the head guy himself seemed to have no issues explaining things in the past. So the NDA excuse doesn't really hold water.
Actually it's the other way around, they've been too communicative about console things in the past. It's not coming back.

In addition, they have clearly indicated in the past that the way they have been and are being addressed sometimes on this forum has not encouraged them to continue the interaction, rather the opposite.

simsimsheree
19-06-2018, 21:41
If other console games can do offline saves, and SMS can't, are you REALLY telling me that Sony have anything to do with it?

There comes a time when explanations have to be plausible.

Sankyo
20-06-2018, 09:23
If other console games can do offline saves, and SMS can't, are you REALLY telling me that Sony have anything to do with it?

There comes a time when explanations have to be plausible.
We were talking about the storage limit for cloud saves. If the question is cloud saves vs offline saves, then perhaps it's not an NDA thing but then the last sentence of my previous posting applies.

simsimsheree
20-06-2018, 23:00
No, it's EXACTLY an offline save thing. SMS would have known from the beginning the size of their replay files. They would have known from the beginning the size limit on cloud saves on console. They would have known from the beginning that cloud saves only would not suffice to do an adequate job.

But put in no ability to save locally.

SMS don't need to publicly comment about Sony's limits on cloud saves. It's moot. But some explanation as to why, knowing full well cloud saves would be unacceptable to leagues and longer race rooms (let alone the more casual racer we already know they aren't going after), they left off any local save routines would be nice. And perhaps a timetable to when they could add the local save routines, so serious players could look to other solutions if it isn't likely...

This issue also affects the total number of car tunes you can keep, replays you can store, photos, you name it. This isn't only affecting mid-length and upwards replays. The concept of the cloud save is really a flawed one without some local save ability too.

My guess would be that the only thing that REALLY needs to be in the cloud is career progression. Everything else saved locally would have been perfectly fine. It's obvious there's not enough cloud storage for it to be adequate for anything else...