PDA

View Full Version : One thousand World Records!

cpcdem
16-06-2018, 14:52
End of last year, I started doing a lot of time trial, as in my opinion this is the best way for someone to improve his skill, trying to follow the ghost cars of faster people, learn their lines, see where they gain time and try to beat them. I started with the slowest cars of the game, and because there were very few times logged back then with those cars, it was usually easy to make the best times for those combos. Then moved to a little faster cars, with more effort I could still get best times, until suddenly I realized I had already reached around 200 WRs, and at that time I thought, "Well, maybe it's possible to get to 1000?".

And I went for it, and as expected it was very difficult, because as I was doing more times in more cars, people were obviously breaking my previous WRs, so I had to go back and defend, then someone would break them again etc etc. So it took a lot of effort, time and big fights, but finally today I reached 1,000 WRs, 1,001 to be precise: https://pcars.13ms.de/#/users/76561198199005857

Almost all of them are done in Default Loose setup and most of them are with road cars, obviously I wouldn't had managed a single record if I was attempting this with GT3s :). And this did help a lot on skill improving, yesterday I could beat the times I had done 5 months ago by more than a second or even more...

Big cheers to all the dozens and dozens regulars in time trial, with whom we had great fights, many I won, many I lost, was a great learning experience making a WR only to see next day that somebody improved the time by 2 seconds! Also very big cheers to @cry_inc, for creating and maintaining the https://pcars.13ms.de portal, an invaluable resource for those of us who do TT. And of course very big thanks to SMS for creating so much quality content for PCARS2, I have been doing so many thousands of laps with different combos, played 1300 hours already (TT & multiplayer) and still I think I have used less than 20% of the available content...mindblowing!

MrTulip
16-06-2018, 15:45
Yes, to my great dismay I noticed you stole my Algarve LaF trophy just two days ago! Grrr! ;D

cpcdem
16-06-2018, 16:17
Yes, to my great dismay I noticed you stole my Algarve LaF trophy just two days ago! Grrr! ;D

Heh, but it did not even cross my mind to attempt anything about your WR at the Nordschleife, that alone would had probably taken a month's effort and still if :)

pippinfort
16-06-2018, 20:01
The force is strong in this one

Malcstar
16-06-2018, 21:18
Great!

Nick Vermont
19-06-2018, 15:01
I bow to thee! :-) You're the undisputed TT champ with that number of WR's. I assume you annihilated some of my old records on your campaign. Unfortunately there is no easy way to see at a glance how many WR's are owned by whom at a given time.

Stewy32
19-06-2018, 15:50
Well done!

BrainsBush
19-06-2018, 16:03
Thumbs up! Well done. I also like time trials and I see your userid often in the top op the leaderboards. And now you reached 1000 (!!!) WR's. Amazing. You deserve an ice cold one:

cpcdem
19-06-2018, 16:05
I bow to thee! :-) You're the undisputed TT champ with that number of WR's. I assume you annihilated some of my old records on your campaign. Unfortunately there is no easy way to see at a glance how many WR's are owned by whom at a given time.

Hey thanks :), it was a lot of effort to reach that. Interestingly no, we had very little overlap in our TT, I think I beat you only twice and with small margin, with the Auti DTM in Monza Short and with the Aston DB11 at Silverstone National. Which again shows how mindblowingly large is the content of PC2, we have done in total almost 2000 TT combos and had an overlap in less than a dozen of them!!

cpcdem
19-06-2018, 16:16
Thumbs up! Well done. I also like time trials and I see your userid often in the top op the leaderboards. And now you reached 1000 (!!!) WR's. Amazing. You deserve an ice cold one:

Thanks a lot man, cheers to you, too! What's your Steam name? Had great fights with someone named very similar to you...

BrainsBush
19-06-2018, 18:49
Thanks a lot man, cheers to you, too! What's your Steam name? Had great fights with someone named very similar to you...

BrianBosch :) (and in english it sounds something like BrainsBush....)

cpcdem
19-06-2018, 21:06
BrianBosch :) (and in english it sounds something like BrainsBush....)

That's who I had on mind :). Cheers man, I've had very long good battles with many of your ghost cars in the last months :)

hasslemoff
19-06-2018, 21:19
That's who I had on mind :). Cheers man, I've had very long good battles with many of your ghost cars in the last months :)

If you like TT's have a look at www.stoopidchallenges.com there is a thread in the multilayer section, all cars are run stock with a new TT every week.
Been running for a few years and there is telemetry available to see we're your losing time.

Some dedication to reach 1000 👍

g.stew
19-06-2018, 23:58
That is really cool. I just switched to pc from xb1x and I'm excited to have all the car specific leaderboards now.

Who was your biggest nemesis? Was there anyone you just kept found yourself battling with for the top spot? Anyone that seemed like they were just following you track to track to try to beat your times?

Where there any cars that really surprised you or that you unexpectedly loved?

What was your white whale? Any car/track that you just kept trying but could never conquer?

What was your most rewarding? Any car/track that you put a lot of work into and finally broke it?

What's your next goal? You can't stop now, right?

cpcdem
20-06-2018, 00:20
If you like TT's have a look at www.stoopidchallenges.com there is a thread in the multilayer section, all cars are run stock with a new TT every week.
Been running for a few years and there is telemetry available to see we're your losing time.

Some dedication to reach 1000 ��

Yeah, a lot of dedication and both fun and frustrating at the same time! :) And a great learning experience...
Thanks, will check the stoopid challenges!

cpcdem
20-06-2018, 01:34
That is really cool. I just switched to pc from xb1x and I'm excited to have all the car specific leaderboards now.

Hey, glad you found it cool and thanks a lot for your questions! I had initially thought about including such info in the OP, but got afraid that people could take this as mumbling, so I avoided it. Now, I can blame you instead :)
And yeah, I agree it is fantastic to have access to all those leaderboards!

Who was your biggest nemesis? Was there anyone you just kept found yourself battling with for the top spot? Anyone that seemed like they were just following you track to track to try to beat your times?

There were a few and of course it worked both ways, since I was also following them to beat their times :)

I apologize in advance to the people I forget right now, but off the top of my head, I think my biggest nemesis was @jsarceda94 https://pcars.13ms.de/#/users/76561198817944132, I would do a few WRs and the next day he would break them, I would break them again a week later, only to find he took them back again the next day etc etc. I gave up at the end, he has only posted 18 TT times, but they are all WRs! And hard fought ones...

Then it was @K.Sandre https://pcars.13ms.de/#/users/76561198195873299, who was taking back every time my WRs in the 24h LeMans track, but in the last couple months I think he stopped defending his (dozens) records at this track, so I did get to keep some for myself at the end.

A very big stepback :) for me was @tchoob https://pcars.13ms.de/#/users/76561198053253657 when one day he told us here that he beat all mine and other people's records in Bannochbrae with Road cars, that was about 15 WRs wiped out within hours. I never recovered from the shock and never found the courage to fight back! :)

With @Stein https://pcars.13ms.de/#/users/76561197970856573 we had several fights with the Bac Mono and he won in most of them.
@piquet https://pcars.13ms.de/#/users/76561198031689582 took about 100(!) of my records, but I reclaimed most of them last week and I suspect he will fight back at some point.
Also several fights back and forth with @bobmonteban https://pcars.13ms.de/#/users/76561198361158039, @jammerjoh https://pcars.13ms.de/#/users/76561197995013967 and @Marcel B. https://pcars.13ms.de/#/users/76561197970341332, but no really nemesis, as I won most of the battles, with a few notable exceptions.

May I also mention my biggest defeat...At first the hardest WRs for me to take were cluck one's, in Bathrust, I would always leave this track last and then fight with his ghost cars literally for hours. When I took the first WR from him it felt very nice :), even though I know he did those laps casually and he wasn't fighting back... Later I got more comfortable with this track (especially those &^%&#@ esses!) and managed to beat a few more of his times. But when I came across his WR in the Porsche circuit with the X-Bow https://pcars.13ms.de/#/times/4136123652?vehicle=761457895&user=76561198199005857, that was it, I was stuck there for days...I finally gave up being about just one tenth behind him and Jussi, in probably 1000s attempts I never managed to find that extra one little tenth...

Where there any cars that really surprised you or that you unexpectedly loved?

The Vintage GTA Jaguar E-Type V12 Group44!!! Very few people have used it, but it is a hidden jewel!
Also the Ford Mustang 2+2 Fastback and also for some strange reason I liked very very much the Audi quattro road car.
If I did not know about them from before, I would also include the Caterham 7, the Bac Mono and the KTM X-Bow, if the sim only had those cars alone, I would still be very happy with them!

Plenty of great cars in PC2, only one I was kind of disappointed about was the Ferrari 330 P4, which seemed to me to handle exactly like the Caterham, which felt bizarre. Could be my misconception though.

What was your white whale? Any car/track that you just kept trying but could never conquer?

Cadwell Park! I still can't stand sector 3, with those sweeping very tight corners...I must had a ratio of 99% invalidated laps at this track, and worse thing is that you have to already get through 80% of the lap till you get to those corners, where YOU KNOW you will yet again go off track and the lap will get invalidated! :)

What was your most rewarding? Any car/track that you put a lot of work into and finally broke it?

Brands Hatch! I was always of the opinion that this track should be banned from racing and sim-racing, mainly because of the first corner, which did not make any sense to me! :) And also I hated all those blind turns, especially in a 23'' monitor where you cannot see many of the apexes at all...But, yeah, after 100s of laps I finally figured it out more or less and it was a great feeling of accomplishment when I took my first WR there, especially in the Indy version. Tomorrow I have a league race there, let's see if all this practice will pay off! :)

What's your next goal? You can't stop now, right?

That's enough already I think :). I will still do time trial a lot, but will concentrate only on combos that I like a lot or want to improve specifically in them. Taking WRs just for the shake of it can be fun, but takes a loooooot of time and effort :)

That's it, thanks again for your interest, and sorry to all for the very long message!

TekNeil
20-06-2018, 03:22
Congrats! I'm just devastated to learn that you're taking part in the league race that I'm in tomorrow, and in the Megane! Haha. :jaded: :D

cpcdem
20-06-2018, 03:41
Congrats! I'm just devastated to learn that you're taking part in the league race that I'm in tomorrow, and in the Megane! Haha. :jaded: :D

Hehe, don't worry, most of my WRs were done in car/track combos that are not really popular, I hardly have any records with the touring class cars. Should be fun and competitive this league, looking forward to tomorrow!

TekNeil
20-06-2018, 03:53
Yeah, should be interesting to see how the cars compare as well (Bmw/Megane and 1 Astra I think)! Last season was my first time doing this and really enjoyed it!

cpcdem
20-06-2018, 13:52
Yeah, should be interesting to see how the cars compare as well (Bmw/Megane and 1 Astra I think)! Last season was my first time doing this and really enjoyed it!

When PC2 was released, the Megane was by far the fastest, but in of the first patches it got nerfed and the BMW became the best car. I think in one of the latest patches it got a small boost again, so they are probably very close now in performance, but certainly the Renault is "easier" to drive. The Astra is a step back I think.

TekNeil
20-06-2018, 15:08
Yeah I've heard that the Megane was previously much faster, I never drove either of them back then, so it still seems faster to me haha. I've still not driven the Megane actually but may have a go at some stage. I was looking at the TT's for comparison, may have a go at that in the ol French thing.

BMW 320 TC (http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=1300627020&vehicle=9503224) / Megane TC (http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=1300627020&vehicle=2850335028)

cry_inc
21-06-2018, 19:54
Wow! I did not even notice all the records and this thread until Nick Vermont sent me a PM about it ;)

To allow better bragging and foster competition here is a new top list for you: https://pcars.13ms.de/#/top/records

cpcdem
21-06-2018, 20:08
Wow! I did not even notice all the records and this thread until Nick Vermont sent me a PM about it ;)

To allow better bragging and foster competition here is a new top list for you: https://pcars.13ms.de/#/top/records

OMG, the Pandora's Box has opened! Thanks a lot, for all and for the new feature especially, I think it will be fun! :)

cpcdem
21-06-2018, 20:08
OK, since obviously now those records will disappear in the blink of an eye, guys please allow me to post this as proof to future readers that those 1000 WRs did exist sometime :)

Nick Vermont
22-06-2018, 06:30
Cry ist the best.... sent him a PM with my idea, mentioning the great feats of cpcdem and in the evening I find his PM and he already has implemented everything.
I think it does add great value to the leaderboards and all just by taking already existing data. I see Cry also shows the # of records next to the old list of "Users by Laps".... funny to see the different approaches of going for volume vs. going for the top or in cpcdem's case "annihilating everyone with quantity and quality" :-)

cpcdem
22-06-2018, 14:53
Well, it's mostly due to the dedication to the cause! My first times in each combo were also usually just "quantity", until someone improved them, many times by 2 or 3 seconds or even more, so then I was going back to those specific ones and further improved them when I could. But I must admit that there are still plenty of my WRs that are very easy to beat, it's just that because of the ridiculously high amount of possible car/track combinations available in PC2, in many of them there are very very few entries...

I also agree completely about everything you say about @cry, can't thank him enough really for the extremely helpful resource he had provided with. And thanks a lot to you, too, for having this idea for the max records page and suggesting it to him!

LUN4T1C
24-06-2018, 17:27
It gets harder with time to get some records as the track limit rules have been made stricter. I have been following ghosts that were further off track than I was when my time was deleted. You would say if rules change the times need to be reset, but I guess SMS don't dare this because of people complaining. But it does make TT less fun for me. For example check turn one at Zolder with the Porsche gt3. The ghost is off track there but since the 50% over the line rule was introduced you can never go as wide.

cpcdem
24-06-2018, 17:39
It's not 50% over the line, it's either at least one wheel inside the white lines, or 50% of the car inside the outer edge of the kerbs, any of the two will do to keep it valid. I think it has been always like that,since game release at least.

ELAhrairah
25-06-2018, 07:21
I had some sob who kept on taking my WR at watkins glen in the F35 series. So I kept on beating him and in the end he went for driving with steering wheel but with external camera view position. Can you imagine that? So you invested money in buying a steeringwheel, pedals, a raceseat to go for that real racing feeling but because you cannot stand that your ass is getting kicked you decide to drive like an idiot with the cameraview floating behind your racecar while driving with a proper steeringwheel. And that is how he finally took the WR. The moment I saw that I stopped putting any effort in world records in time trial. They are a joke to me.

cpcdem
25-06-2018, 07:31
Yeah, how bad it is using a chase cam isn't it? It should be banned! On the other hand, I think me using the bonnet cam is just fine!

:)

blinkngone
25-06-2018, 17:27
I had some sob who kept on taking my WR at watkins glen in the F35 series. So I kept on beating him and in the end he went for driving with steering wheel but with external camera view position. Can you imagine that? So you invested money in buying a steeringwheel, pedals, a raceseat to go for that real racing feeling but because you cannot stand that your ass is getting kicked you decide to drive like an idiot with the cameraview floating behind your racecar while driving with a proper steeringwheel. And that is how he finally took the WR. The moment I saw that I stopped putting any effort in world records in time trial. They are a joke to me.

Yes but you are in 3rd now, far behind a real racer using the internal camera so feel free to go get it back.:D

stephenb
01-07-2018, 19:17
OP - Don't suppose you're open to requests? I'd be glad to know what a top tier time is for this combo, leader board as of a few minutes ago. Got addicted to this combo the last couple of days after being inspired by Porches record breaking exploits.

blinkngone
01-07-2018, 20:25

Congrats! A 1:25.739 is great, being 1st again by such a margin I don't think he will be challenging you for a while.;)

cpcdem
01-07-2018, 21:51
OP - Don't suppose you're open to requests? I'd be glad to know what a top tier time is for this combo, leader board as of a few minutes ago. Got addicted to this combo the last couple of days after being inspired by Porches record breaking exploits.

In general I'd love to, but for this combo it would take me weeks of practice to even come close to the current best time, as I am not really familiar with either this track (I know, big shame!) or the car. I'll give it a shot, but if I manage even just a top page time I will be already happy about it.

Btw, don't get fooled from the 1000 WRs, those were done mostly due to pure and extreme dedication! :) I am not capable (at least not yet! :)) of achieving really top times, I know this because every time I competed with the very best players, they were always around 1 second per normal lap faster.

MrTulip
02-07-2018, 06:46

You are already in the top tier. Based on that Iceman gave me very hard time in Porsche 919 Hybrid at Nords and that you beat Artoria and TX3 Rinpoku I'd say that your time is very good indeed. :)

Franco Ferrari
02-07-2018, 07:45
Well, there are some combos that are such complete nonsense, that you won't find a WR set for them anytime soon... but if you set one, it's practically guaranteed it won't be beat for a loooong time.
For example Karts on any non-kart track (especially the really long ones)... or any prototype car on any kart track (even though the latter are not listed on the leaderboards site... for some reason... it doesn't mean they cannot be set).

stephenb
02-07-2018, 09:54
You are already in the top tier. Based on that Iceman gave me very hard time in Porsche 919 Hybrid at Nords and that you beat Artoria and TX3 Rinpoku I'd say that your time is very good indeed. :)
That's kind of you to say so but I'm normally around 102% of the top times and probably more on such a technical track as this. I'm OK in the first half of the lap but once passed the high point of the circuit my line gets a little sketchy. I suspect those around me didn't spend too long trying to set a good time. I'd expect 5:37.x is possible at the very least.

blinkngone
03-07-2018, 00:23
That's kind of you to say so but I'm normally around 102% of the top times and probably more on such a technical track as this. I'm OK in the first half of the lap but once passed the high point of the circuit my line gets a little sketchy. I suspect those around me didn't spend too long trying to set a good time. I'd expect 5:37.x is possible at the very least.

You are fine, don't worry about it. The person in 1st, Fab.ICEMAN, has 166 runs on the major tracks in TT, old Man has 79 and TX3 Rinpoku has 777. You have 8, yes someone could do better but so can you as you have already pointed out where you have made some errors and can correct them.:D

https://pcars.13ms.de/#/users/76561198084807023

MrTulip
04-07-2018, 05:53

You were right. Looks like TX3 Rinpoku upped the ante; 5:35.761 (Formula Renault 3.5). :(

stephenb
04-07-2018, 21:40
Excellent, a new benchmark to aim for. Think I might be able to get close to a 5:40 flat with the perfect lap (for me). If I got under that I'd be delighted but I won't be trying again until the weather in the UK cools down a little. Very hot on the sim rig at the moment.

MrTulip
05-07-2018, 16:56
Don't let the summer stop you. Back in the times of Grand Prix Legends on the GPLEA.org forums there was a poll that I never forget:

Naked driving: Yes / No?

;)