PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake flaws

Olijke Poffer
17-06-2018, 09:09
Hi all,

I have assigned the handbrake to a button on my wheel. When the race start I press the handbrake button, step on the clutch and put the gearbox in the 1st gear. I would expect the handbrake prevent me from rolling backwards/forwards. This is not the case.
Why does the handbrake not work? Just tried it again in a McLaren GT3 car.
Do the most race cars not have a handbrake? It is very usefull to use so you have a quick start.

Mad Al
17-06-2018, 09:20
Hi all,

I have assigned the handbrake to a button on my wheel. When the race start I press the handbrake button, step on the clutch and put the gearbox in the 1st gear. I would expect the handbrake prevent me from rolling backwards/forwards. This is not the case.
Why does the handbrake not work? Just tried it again in a McLaren GT3 car.
Do the most race cars not have a handbrake? It is very usefull to use so you have a quick start.

Because not all the cars have a handbrake... most race cars won't

Olijke Poffer
17-06-2018, 15:49
That is what I thought indeed. Bummer.. but thanks for the heads up.

BuToNz
17-06-2018, 16:38
I must admit it's quite annoying on some cars you will start to roll on the start line. Not sure exactly how they handle that in real life?

Mahjik
17-06-2018, 16:51
I must admit it's quite annoying on some cars you will start to roll on the start line. Not sure exactly how they handle that in real life?

Most series have migrated to rolling starts to avoid things like this...

However, most racers are used to having to work three pedals with only two feet so they just press the brake, with a little of their foot on the gas, with the left foot on the clutch.

To the OP, the cars that do have handbrakes, you'll be able to adjust the handbrake pressure in the setup options. If there is no adjustment for it, likely the car doesn't have a handbrake.

R-VR Closet
17-06-2018, 19:47
I wait until the last grid lights turn on before going into gear.