PDA

View Full Version : Love vintage cars on vintage tracks

rainer61
19-06-2018, 21:57
Don't want to post something too boring here, but write my two cents.

I love the vintage Prototypes A + B, the Group C and the Group 4+5. And I find it great to do a 24h-race within 90 minutes. It is so immersive, graphically wonderfull and it takes alot of concentration to get it right without too many mistakes. It is very rewarding. The new historic Le Mans-track looks and feels outstanding. THANK YOU FOR THAT.

I don't miss too much, but i really wish that the cars would show more oversteer. I know it has been discussed already, but it is too bad, that I cannot find a setup that enables me to feed in the throttle gradually to steer the car by throttle input. I don't mean snap-oversteer but a more loose rear. The rear seems "magically" glued to the tarmac (despite seldom snapping), no matter which setup changes I try. I know that some cars have been designed to understeer and it should be like this in the game. It is generally in the game and in slow corners it can drive you crazy, which is correct I think. But I wish, I could drive a 917, a GT40 or their competitors into an oversteery state in fast corners, not too snappy, but more loose, by pushing the throttle.

I already tried the all terain tyres with dropping the ai-level, but sadly and at least for me (my abilities) , it feels rather weird.

But - I love these cars and the contemporary tracks. "The tyre-thing" does not stop me from driving them at all. But if this could be changed.....

Oh, and if the 908 would have headlights for 24h....

m00lean
19-06-2018, 22:13
There is no magic glue. You can definately achieve what you want with setup changes. Stiffen the rear springs a bit, play with the rear toe in and depending on the car play with the differential settings.

MaximusN
19-06-2018, 22:16
If there are Vintage tyres available for that car(opposed to the default Track ones you get with automatic by weather) choose those. For instance in the Lotus 49 it makes a world of difference. The track tyres are modern tyres, which are way too grippy for those cars. I'm actually surprised they don't flip over when you turn on those. ;) It also makes them very understeery, specifically those cars with wide rears and narrow fronts.

rainer61
20-06-2018, 01:12
Thanks for your comments. Still, I just can't get it to my liking. (Maybe my liking is the problem here)

balderz002
20-06-2018, 05:50
I personally love racing the race cars from pre-2000. They are all great, especially if they have period tracks to race on.

I'm currently bathing myself in 25 minutes of le mans with x60 time and group c cars.

Just epic in every way.

PostBox981
20-06-2018, 08:31
Thanks for your comments. Still, I just can't get it to my liking. (Maybe my liking is the problem here)

Maybe too obvious, but still asking... traction control being set to "off"? :rolleyes:

rainer61
20-06-2018, 08:56
yes, thank you, tc is off;)

Bealdor
20-06-2018, 09:03
Have you tried the "all terrain" tires already?

rainer61
20-06-2018, 09:13
Yes I tried them but they feel somehow weird to me. I'll try again an see wether I can get used to them.

Bultaco85
20-06-2018, 12:39
Don't want to post something too boring here, but write my two cents.

I love the vintage Prototypes A + B, the Group C and the Group 4+5. And I find it great to do a 24h-race within 90 minutes. It is so immersive, graphically wonderfull and it takes alot of concentration to get it right without too many mistakes. It is very rewarding. The new historic Le Mans-track looks and feels outstanding. THANK YOU FOR THAT.

I don't miss too much, but i really wish that the cars would show more oversteer. I know it has been discussed already, but it is too bad, that I cannot find a setup that enables me to feed in the throttle gradually to steer the car by throttle input. I don't mean snap-oversteer but a more loose rear. The rear seems "magically" glued to the tarmac (despite seldom snapping), no matter which setup changes I try. I know that some cars have been designed to understeer and it should be like this in the game. It is generally in the game and in slow corners it can drive you crazy, which is correct I think. But I wish, I could drive a 917, a GT40 or their competitors into an oversteery state in fast corners, not too snappy, but more loose, by pushing the throttle.

I already tried the all terain tyres with dropping the ai-level, but sadly and at least for me (my abilities) , it feels rather weird.

But - I love these cars and the contemporary tracks. "The tyre-thing" does not stop me from driving them at all. But if this could be changed.....

Oh, and if the 908 would have headlights for 24h....

I love them too! Had a blast with the 917K and the 80'S GTO'S. The Carrera RS is also amazing.

Theruleslawyer
20-06-2018, 13:51
I personally love racing the race cars from pre-2000. They are all great, especially if they have period tracks to race on.

I'm currently bathing myself in 25 minutes of le mans with x60 time and group c cars.

Just epic in every way.

It think its fun running cars with some more quirks. I finished the group 5 series awhile ago and that was a ton of fun trying to manage when the turbo hit.

RobertOldgit
20-06-2018, 21:08
You cannot beat a bit of simulated classic Le Mans 24 hours.

Because I have time I tend to set up a 24 hour race over 2hours 25 minutes with an added hour for practice and qualifying. This equals 10 x compression with4 weather slots.

The old 1970's cars were brutes huge engines masive bhp. I tend to use trailing braking to get them around the harder corners. The esses and Tertra rouge are good examples of when this technique works well.

Stewy32
20-06-2018, 21:23
I love vintage cars and modern cars on vintage Tracks.

kondor999
21-06-2018, 04:13
The all terrain tires feel like an old bias-ply, and it takes some getting used to. The slip angles are much greater than with radials, but they're also a lot more fun because suddenly you have to deal with power oversteer.