PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans night

panzerboy555
23-06-2018, 08:44
Not sure whether it's been mentioned but Le Mans at night is way too light,Tried times between 10.00 pm to 04.00 AM and you do not need the use of the cars lights.
The darkest section of the track should be after Mulsanne curve but way too light.

TorTorden
23-06-2018, 10:02
Probably a game play choice because quite a few cars doesn't have headlights.

Personally I'm with you, night driving should be dark as pitch and scary as hell :)
Especially if you pick a car without headlights.

RacingAtHome
23-06-2018, 10:45
Yeah. I've noticed this a while ago. I turned the brightness down but realised that the track during the day was a bit too dark.

Stewy32
23-06-2018, 10:59
Not sure whether it's been mentioned but Le Mans at night is way too light,Tried times between 10.00 pm to 04.00 AM and you do not need the use of the cars lights.
The darkest section of the track should be after Mulsanne curve but way too light.

One thing on this.I need the headlights on at almost all times to read the dash and to see the breaking markers and similar.I know it could be darker but if it was people with poor eyesight like me would be unable to do much night driving.

ELAhrairah
23-06-2018, 12:51
The reflections at night are off too. Very unrealistic unfortunatly. But hey you can't have everything...

Flat-6
23-06-2018, 23:51
I noticed this as well the other night while watching an RFactor 2 video on a popular youtube channel. The way the headlights light up the area in front and to the side of the car in the dark of night is spectacular. I'll see if I can find that video.

panzerboy555
24-06-2018, 06:37
As I said you can turn off the head lights and still drive with no problem,but when I was playing Project cars 1 on the same track turning off the lights you could not see anything.

Hugo Catarino
24-06-2018, 13:33
It gets clear way too early at Le Mans.in game,at 4h,you can see the sky getting light blue already.at 5h its already clear.
In real life (just watch this year race) it only starts to clear at late 5h,almost 6h.At 4h its still very dark.
This issue comes from Pc1,but becamed better with PC2 though

Stewy32
24-06-2018, 16:03
It gets clear way too early at Le Mans.in game,at 4h,you can see the sky getting light blue already.at 5h its already clear.
In real life (just watch this year race) it only starts to clear at late 5h,almost 6h.At 4h its still very dark.
This issue comes from Pc1,but becamed better with PC2 though

Could it be partially to do with a lot more cloud cover IRL

balderz002
25-06-2018, 12:04
Could it be partially to do with a lot more cloud cover IRL

On the topic of clouds.....

How about setting weather to heavy cloud? Does that make it darker at night?

Miker
25-06-2018, 13:01
Or the moon phase? Does a full moon in the game act as a light source?

Hugo Catarino
25-06-2018, 13:28
On the topic of clouds.....

How about setting weather to heavy cloud? Does that make it darker at night?

It does make darker,but even with a completly clear sky like we had last year,it only gets clear at around 5h30-6h

Gav88888
25-06-2018, 13:30
Yep something I have hated about this game since release is the night driving, aside from the bright cockpits but also all the tracks are too bright at night. Go out for a drive yourself or watch real racing and its so much darker at night IRL than in the game, and if you select clouds even 1am the sky is grey.... Never seen that IRL before lol.

It would be simple just to make everything darker apart from the cockpit lights in the car and your headlights, all other scenery etc darken it.

Until then, which will be a long wait, PC3 or 4 probably, I just turn the exposure right down.

ACC seems to have got night driving right from the video online, so looking forward to playing that when it comes out, even the old Forza games got it right, but for some reason SMS though real life wasn't important when making a SIM.

beetes_juice
25-06-2018, 15:22
Are you guys 100% checking your pre race settings? Just ran Lemans to death the past month, 100% gets pitch black there, both Wet and dry, sun comes up slowly giving a a few laps of 'blue night' but again the sun is starting to come up. Night driving is here: https://youtu.be/zPMI3HcCB6s?t=668

Sure we are all aware but the date + season is going to give different results for day/night.

CastrolGT
25-06-2018, 17:27
you're on VR. on monitors, it is less dark

Bealdor
26-06-2018, 07:25
you're on VR. on monitors, it is less dark

There's no difference in the lighting system between monitor and VR.
If your monitor shows a brighter image than what is seen in beetes' video, you haven't calibrated it correctly (which isn't unusual because ~90% of all monitors on this planet are set up too bright) and/or it has a bad black level.

Gav88888
26-06-2018, 15:40
Are you guys 100% checking your pre race settings? Just ran Lemans to death the past month, 100% gets pitch black there, both Wet and dry, sun comes up slowly giving a a few laps of 'blue night' but again the sun is starting to come up. Night driving is here: https://youtu.be/zPMI3HcCB6s?t=668

Sure we are all aware but the date + season is going to give different results for day/night.

Interesting, when the video starts its that blue night sky I usually see, then a bit further its that grey night sky, but can't say I have seen the black you saw, mind you it was raining at the time and I don't do night races with rain. Do you recall the settings used and I will do some testing?

Also noticed you use the helmet view, I would love to use this but it knocks my FPS to 45 straight away...

pferreirag60
26-06-2018, 15:50
In PCars1 I could never had a pitch black night, but in PCars2, with the new DLC (Le Mans) If I drive at night, lets say at 23H, it is really black, if i turn off the lights i really cannot see anything. Maybe a console problem?

Note: Using triple Screen with helmet view, but without arms and wheel visible.

balderz002
26-06-2018, 15:51
even the old Forza games got it right, but for some reason SMS though real life wasn't important when making a SIM.

Ha..............Funny..................

VelvetTorpedo
26-06-2018, 16:04
the moon can make a huge difference in night lighting i've found. depending on the night I can race Nords with no lights or be completely in the dark.

banner77amc
26-06-2018, 20:21
I found closing my eyes really darkens it up. :rolleyes:

MaximusN
26-06-2018, 20:25
the moon can make a huge difference in night lighting i've found. depending on the night I can race Nords with no lights or be completely in the dark.

IRL it makes a lot of difference too. I's more noticable in area's(of the city too) where there's less light polution. At least with a clear sky full and new moon is a big difference. It even throws shadows if you look for it.

panzerboy555
27-06-2018, 05:55
I will just have to wear dark shades for now.

MaximusN
27-06-2018, 09:23
IRL it makes a lot of difference too. I's more noticable in area's(of the city too) where there's less light polution. At least with a clear sky full and new moon is a big difference. It even throws shadows if you look for it.
Also in the summer the nights are less dark for most of the night because of twilight lasting longer(it's basically the watered down version of midnight sun near the poles). Of course the further down south you go the smaller the effect, but I think Le Mans is northern enough to have at least some of it(and the event is close to solstice time every year).

balderz002
27-06-2018, 12:12
I tried the LM'71 track at night for the first time yesterday.

That was scarily dark! I actually found myself craning forward in my chair trying to make out my braking points!

Could it be that there is less light pollution in the '71 track?

VelvetTorpedo
27-06-2018, 12:56
the best way to find out the difference would be to set a custom date night session for June 30th 2018 to get a full moon. Drive some lightless laps, then set the custom date to July 13th to get a new (no) moon and repeat.

banner77amc
27-06-2018, 13:23
I will just have to wear dark shades for now.

I think there is a great song for this... "Sunglasses at Night" by Corey Hart

Please have this playing while you race LeMans at night.

panzerboy555
27-06-2018, 17:19
I think there is a great song for this... "Sunglasses at Night" by Corey Hart

Please have this playing while you race LeMans at night.

:cool:

panzerboy555
27-06-2018, 17:24
the best way to find out the difference would be to set a custom date night session for June 30th 2018 to get a full moon. Drive some lightless laps, then set the custom date to July 13th to get a new (no) moon and repeat.

Do you know what I was thinking this yesterday and had to look at the moon phase during the Le Mans weekend and the moon was first quarter,but then even if I set to heavy cloud it's still light.

kondor999
28-06-2018, 05:20
The game simulates the actual phase of the moon? Goddamn, that is impressive attention to detail!

Hugo Catarino
28-06-2018, 07:45
The game simulates the actual phase of the moon? Goddamn, that is impressive attention to detail!

If it does,then doesnt do it very well.just take the modern La Sarthe,set a race on 16 June 2018 (day of the 24h race) and you will see that it starts to get clear at around 4am,while in real life ir only got clear at late 5am

Ryori San
28-06-2018, 09:09
Does anyone think that us gamers expect a lot these days?

beetes_juice
28-06-2018, 20:32
If it does,then doesnt do it very well.just take the modern La Sarthe,set a race on 16 June 2018 (day of the 24h race) and you will see that it starts to get clear at around 4am,while in real life ir only got clear at late 5am

How are you checking the time during a race to get the exact time the sun starts? I get that might be a little annoyance if your starting your races @ 4am but running a simulated day/night race you are not going to noticed this one bit.

Are you really going to be checking the time - I don't think you can anyway - while your racing to estimate when the suns going to come up? Bigger things to worry about.

Hugo Catarino
29-06-2018, 07:50
How are you checking the time during a race to get the exact time the sun starts? I get that might be a little annoyance if your starting your races @ 4am but running a simulated day/night race you are not going to noticed this one bit.

Are you really going to be checking the time - I don't think you can anyway - while your racing to estimate when the suns going to come up? Bigger things to worry about.

Well,starting races at 4am with light already coming up is annoying as you said.Its possible to check the time.if you set up a race lasting 2h25 minutes (about 10% of 24h) 10m in game is equal to 1h in real life.Le Mans has straights long enough to do a bit of quick maths to know what time it is :p

JudgeNutmeg
29-06-2018, 17:15
Well,starting races at 4am with light already coming up is annoying as you said.Its possible to check the time.if you set up a race lasting 2h25 minutes (about 10% of 24h) 10m in game is equal to 1h in real life.Le Mans has straights long enough to do a bit of quick maths to know what time it is :p

maybe the straight needs to be a bit longer as in a 2 hr 25 minute race 10 minutes doesn't equate to an hour!

Hugo Catarino
29-06-2018, 20:24
maybe the straight needs to be a bit longer as in a 2 hr 25 minute race 10 minutes doesn't equate to an hour!

totally my bad,it should have said around 6m,since 2h25m isn't exacly 10% of 1440 minutes (24h).I had the number 10 too much stuck in my head :P

JudgeNutmeg
29-06-2018, 21:23
totally my bad,it should have said around 6m,since 2h25m isn't exacly 10% of 1440 minutes (24h).I had the number 10 too much stuck in my head :P

Don't worry, when it comes to percentages of time,my head spins!

I did wonder though that if you were going by that while driving then after 10 minutes the game time would have been further advanced than you thought making it lighter than you were expecting. I haven't got around to trying night time yet on PC2, I'll give it a try this weekend, should be fun!

Hugo Catarino
30-06-2018, 13:27
Don't worry, when it comes to percentages of time,my head spins!

I did wonder though that if you were going by that while driving then after 10 minutes the game time would have been further advanced than you thought making it lighter than you were expecting. I haven't got around to trying night time yet on PC2, I'll give it a try this weekend, should be fun!

It is very fun.today i did 45m with x30 speed and it was really great

Bealdor
03-07-2018, 21:38

Does it also get dark earlier in-game?
If yes, the game probably isn't taking DST into account correctly (although I thought it did).

Hugo Catarino
04-07-2018, 07:49
Does it also get dark earlier in-game?
If yes, the game probably isn't taking DST into account correctly (although I thought it did).

Not really,it gets dark around 22h-22h30,pretty much the same time as in the real race

Cholton82
04-07-2018, 12:19
For those doing the invitational can you save between sessions like in normal career mode , Basically I’m in the WSCC and thought it would be cool to do the invitational in my LMP2 midway through the season , so I can practice and then qualify and then resume maybe the following day for the race if possible .

Irishnewblood
04-07-2018, 14:36
For those doing the invitational can you save between sessions like in normal career mode , Basically Iím in the WSCC and thought it would be cool to do the invitational in my LMP2 midway through the season , so I can practice and then qualify and then resume maybe the following day for the race if possible .

Yep, you can..... just go to the invitationals tab,halfway through your season, done the same thing myself.