PDA

View Full Version : Automatic vs manual

Kaz1983
24-06-2018, 14:50
I find manual to be best but unfortunately I don't have the reflexes (re shifting gears quick enough..) to use a manual transmission anymore... so am stuck with automatic pretty much but am finding it well a bit sh*t, let me explain....

I prefer having to "think" whilst driving and without having to think "okay I need to down to exit the apex in 2nd gear" .. put simply I'm use to having more control and don't how to get smooth and consistent using automatic lol

Any tips?

I'm guessing instead of thinking.. ok turn one "I need to exit the corner (after I hit the apex) in 2nd gear.... turn two "I need to exit the corner (after I hit the apex) in 3rd gear ...... I need to think turn one "I need to exit the corner (after I hit the apex) at around 90 kph.. turn two "I need to exit the corner (after I hit the apex) at around 120 kph...... I'm thinking but welcome any adive/tips etc etc

Kaz1983
24-06-2018, 14:58
On a side note who here uses manual, who here can only drive automatic.. just jokes but that's usually the case ;)

cpcdem
24-06-2018, 15:15
I have been always using manual, for the reasons you pointed out. But today, I have a 90 minute race and because of a hand injury, I will be forced to use automatic, so that will be a pretty good test, will tell you later about my thoughs on this! Btw, a tip, when you use automatic, you can still shift manually when you want, so if you want to upshift earlier or later than the system will do for you, you can still use the paddles to do it. But you cannot shift _later_ than the system does it for you.

TorTorden
24-06-2018, 15:20
I can best describe my setup as pseudo manual.

Meaning I'm only using the wheels paddle shifters with auto clutch for practical reasons, and I haven't bothered to get an H-shifter.
And I am in an office chair, I need to keep a foot grounded so my chair doesn't slide around to much.

I don't really think about what gear to be In, I feel for it, listen to the engine, and half an eye on the rev counter.

Mowzer
24-06-2018, 15:29
Personally i find it harder to drive in auto than manual as i find the car is never in the correct gear in auto :rolleyes:.

blinkngone
24-06-2018, 16:23
Well for various reasons I can only use full Automatic and although on some corners it is frustrating overall I don't feel there is that much of a penalty for me. Back in October cpcdem ran a TT at Silverstone National for me and although he normally runs manual there he didn't notice much of a difference, but of course there is probably less immersion with automatic. In PCars 1 I think I remember reading people were gaining an advantage by rapid downshifts but in PCars 2 I think if you go back to launch there were many people complaining about the slowness of the downshifts because of the protection of the transmission slowing them down. Now most of the complaints are around how the transmission doesn't punish people as much as it should for sloppy shifting.

davidt33
24-06-2018, 16:24
Manual is much better IMO. Back then I first tried it because the majority advised it was better...plus all the faster times were being set by guys driving manual. Thing is when I tried it it was a bit confusing with having to then manually changing the gears....one more thing to keep in mind. So then I reverted to Automatic. But later on I said to myself I have to master this so gave it another shot and continued practising with manual. After a while it came like second nature and now I can't see myself going back to Automatic.

Now if you're using an additional device such as an H-Shifter....then having to depress the foot clutch pedal in coordination with the H-Shifter for gear changing that takes even more doing and extra things to keep in mind so I don't do that. I simply use the wheel paddles for manual gear changing (no need to engage foot/clutch pedal) and that works famously for me. Easy as pie.

TorTorden
24-06-2018, 17:15
Like in RL any skill, driving manual takes practice.
It's not a hard skill but it takes practice.

And driving manual in RL was no help for me in terms of racing. It took me at least 7-10 hours of play to get the hang of it and that's before we start in on learning the individual cars.
which could be another 30+ hours before you get good, per car.

I intend someday to get something a bit more stable than my office chair, get an H shifter and turn off the auto clutch.

FastForward352
24-06-2018, 17:29
I drive the cars are they are intended to IRL, even if it's more difficult sometimes,but I've always been searching for realism in games.
So if it has a manual gearbox, I use my H-shifter AND clutch, if it's paddle shifter, I use paddle shifter AND clutch for start-up...etc.
I have a swivel chair too (NobleChairs epic leather), I lower it to the max and tie it to my wheelstand pro with a judo belt, so I can push as hard as possible on the brake pedal (I have a T500rs and the Basherboard Brake mod kit with the hardest bushings, and in game I lower the brake pressure as much as possible)

Vic Flange
24-06-2018, 18:26
I find manual to be best but unfortunately I don't have the reflexes (re shifting gears quick enough..) to use a manual transmission anymore... so am stuck with automatic pretty much but am finding it well a bit sh*t, let me explain....

I prefer having to "think" whilst driving and without having to think "okay I need to down to exit the apex in 2nd gear" .. put simply I'm use to having more control and don't how to get smooth and consistent using automatic lol

Any tips?

I'm guessing instead of thinking.. ok turn one "I need to exit the corner (after I hit the apex) in 2nd gear.... turn two "I need to exit the corner (after I hit the apex) in 3rd gear ...... I need to think turn one "I need to exit the corner (after I hit the apex) at around 90 kph.. turn two "I need to exit the corner (after I hit the apex) at around 120 kph...... I'm thinking but welcome any adive/tips etc etc

Looks like you are over thinking it all. Upshifting should be very natural, just listen to the engine tone (or glance at the limiter if you prefer).
The only thought I put into downshifting is wait a little while after braking then I count down the gears if it is a sequential box or step down through the gears with my H shifter.
Practice for a few laps and it soon becomes second nature.

If you do use a H shifter NEVER go from 4th to 1st when you are supposed to be shifting up to 5th. There will be a bang and some smoke. Guess how I know that ?:rolleyes:

TorTorden
24-06-2018, 18:46
If you do use a H shifter NEVER go from 4th to 1st when you are supposed to be shifting up to 5th. There will be a bang and some smoke. Guess how I know that ?:rolleyes:

But that's how you get to unlock the Saab.

BrainsBush
24-06-2018, 19:38
I drive the cars are they are intended to IRL, even if it's more difficult sometimes,but I've always been searching for realism in games.
So if it has a manual gearbox, I use my H-shifter AND clutch, if it's paddle shifter, I use paddle shifter AND clutch for start-up...etc.
I have a swivel chair too (NobleChairs epic leather), I lower it to the max and tie it to my wheelstand pro with a judo belt, so I can push as hard as possible on the brake pedal (I have a T500rs and the Basherboard Brake mod kit with the hardest bushings, and in game I lower the brake pressure as much as possible)

Yes the same for me. Only I have to be more consequent with Sequential shift cars. I often still use the H shifter then...Too lazy to switch the Fanatec with one slider...

cpcdem
24-06-2018, 21:56
OK, after a 90 min race with auto, I think it is not bad, upshifts are ok, but definitely I think it's a small disadvantage with downshifts, because the system usually does not downshift unless the rpm has decreased too much, often leaving you "one gear up" and with less acceleration out of corners. I think that's an inherent issue with automatic systems in general anyway, and there's a workaround, to downshift manually in those corners!

Btw, interesting little game bug, I was shown this after the race: :)

Stewy32
24-06-2018, 22:03
I use both automatic and manual depending what I feel like.

Twinz
25-06-2018, 01:35
My wife and I autocross IRL and she insisted that we get a shifter when we upgraded the sim. IRL she has trouble on courses that require a lot of shifting so she wants practice.

I will probably continue using paddle shifters in the sim because I want to focus on looking through turns (we run an Oculus) and threshold-braking while lining up corner exit with my peripheral vision.

Theruleslawyer
25-06-2018, 13:49
I like using a h pattern and clutch for cars that are that way IRL. However releasing the clutch smoothly is WAY harder in sim than IRL.

hkraft300
25-06-2018, 15:23
Manual. Paddle shift for now.
I like the extra control it allows me, and something about it helps improve my timing and rhythm.

I will probably continue using paddle shifters in the sim because I want to focus on looking through turns (we run an Oculus) and threshold-braking while lining up corner exit with my peripheral vision.

If you’re using your eyes to shift, you’re doing it wrong :p

I do encourage you to throw yourself in the deep end. Stick shift and use your vision properly on track at the same time. The 2 skills will synchronise.

Twinz
25-06-2018, 16:15
I'll try it out, but I with no way to feel clutch engagement, and non-inverted pedals, I'm not optimistic on transferring what I learn in the sim (regarding shifting) to RL.

hkraft300
25-06-2018, 16:22
I'll try it out, but I with no way to feel clutch engagement, and non-inverted pedals, I'm not optimistic on transferring what I learn in the sim (regarding shifting) to RL.

The feel will be different, just like different clutches and different cars feel different to shift.
What will help is the coordination aspect, and training yourself to maintain your visuals independent of your gear shifting motions.
Personally, just like manual shifting helps my rhythm, I think it’ll benefit you to get in your rhythm sooner. Heel-toe downshifts and all.
Inverted or not, you’re still pushing a pedal with your left foot, flicking the wrist for the next gear. You’ll hear the revs if you don’t match it very well and you’ll feel through the ffb. All the while you’re looking st your turn-in point, apex, exit...

When you get in the real car, you’ll alter your timing just slightly to adjust to your real car.

Just a thought experiment on my part.