PDA

View Full Version : AI Mechanical Failures

Vic Flange
25-06-2018, 17:35
Hey guys.

Do the AI suffer mechanical failures or punctures ?
Iíve never seen one after about 100 hours of play. Iíve seen them retire after a crash.

I ask because I bought rFactor 2 yesterday and saw a couple of mechanical failures in the first race.
I think if they are they then the percentage needs increasing, especially in the older cars.

Tar Heel
25-06-2018, 18:11
I have 400hrs and have never personally experienced a mechanical failure myself on my car or seen it on an AI car.

Vic Flange
25-06-2018, 18:26
I have 400hrs and have never personally experienced a mechanical failure myself on my car or seen it on an AI car.

I’ve blown my own engine up by accidentally shifting from 4th to 1st when I was supposed to shift up to 5th. That was using a H shifter.

Kitt
25-06-2018, 18:57
I don't think random failures is a thing, which is shame especially on endurance races

TexasTyme214
25-06-2018, 19:20
I don't think random failures is a thing, which is shame especially on endurance races

I think random failures only come in the form of the pit stop errors such as battery failure, dropping the wheel nut, etc.

cpcdem
25-06-2018, 19:54

I think everybody would hate it if that was introduced. Some time ago I had an online league race, very intense and very hard fought to get first after being bumped to last at the start and pitted in the second to last lap for my mandatory pitstop, with a good enough gap to 3rd for a heroic podium finish. Then the pitcrew said they "found a battery problem", so they kept me at the pits for a minute or so, so I ended up 12th or something, apparently the host had accidentally enabled pit stop failures. It did not feel funny, or a nice feature to have back then, and it still doesn't! :) I am sure if random failures get introduced, it will only cause too many hate posts about that, people accusing others that they hacked to "send" them a failure etc etc.

Vic Flange
25-06-2018, 20:51
I think everybody would hate it if that was introduced. Some time ago I had an online league race, very intense and very hard fought to get first after being bumped to last at the start and pitted in the second to last lap for my mandatory pitstop, with a good enough gap to 3rd for a heroic podium finish. Then the pitcrew said they "found a battery problem", so they kept me at the pits for a minute or so, so I ended up 12th or something, apparently the host had accidentally enabled pit stop failures. It did not feel funny, or a nice feature to have back then, and it still doesn't! :) I am sure if random failures get introduced, it will only cause too many hate posts about that, people accusing others that they hacked to "send" them a failure etc etc.
I was specifically talking about races with the AI. The AI cars never break down.

Sentry87
25-06-2018, 20:58
I've seen a few a.i. cars retire possibly due too running out of fuel and getting into an accident. Haven't investigated enough to see if they blow up their engines or break their gearboxes a the player is able to

cpcdem
25-06-2018, 21:25
I was specifically talking about races with the AI. The AI cars never break down.

Yeah, I was replying to @Kitt's message, who I assumed talked about random damage to the player. If he also meant about the AI, then maybe it's a good idea, but for the player him/herself I think it's just a big frustration.

Pekka Salminen
26-06-2018, 11:50
We human players can get mechanical failures already with our hardware (PC or console, wheel, pedals etc.), it is enough frustration already :P

Sometimes AI cars can teleport to the pits as well, if they crash or run out of fuel. The retirement rate of AI seems to be dependant on track (and perhaps car/class too), on some tracks they wreck more than others. They aren't classed as retired in the results screen though, what I have seen.

Vic Flange
26-06-2018, 14:01
We human players can get mechanical failures already with our hardware (PC or console, wheel, pedals etc.), it is enough frustration already :P

Sometimes AI cars can teleport to the pits as well, if they crash or run out of fuel. The retirement rate of AI seems to be dependant on track (and perhaps car/class too), on some tracks they wreck more than others. They aren't classed as retired in the results screen though, what I have seen.

The retirements we see currently with the AI are due to crashes. I’d like to see cars breaking down, limping back to the pits and have smoke billowing out before going bang.
Especially so on the vintage cars where it wasn’t unusual to see only half the field finish.