PDA

View Full Version : Nighttigers's Step-by-Step Setup Guide

Nighttiger
28-06-2018, 11:46
Hi fellow racers ,

Today I proudly release my Project Cars 2 step-by-step setup guide made for all drivers. It is a guide that is both in-depth and accessible for drivers of all experiences. The reason I created this guide was because I felt that although there was a load of information on the internet on setting cars up, the information was scattered, difficult to understand, not natural to use and categorized illogical. The goal was to combine easy to understand information with clear instructions, a sensible order in setup changes and make it applicable to Project Cars 2, in which I hope I succeeded. It is an easy step-by-step schedule that will get you going on setting up your car.

This is the first version of this guide and I believe the first one of his kind for Project Cars 2. There will be an added section about Wet Weather setups and LiveTrack 3.0 in the future since these are a very integral part of Project Cars 2. I hope you, as reader, can use this guide to make a racecar behave like you want it to. I remember my first time when I managed to do that and I was ecstatic. Finally I had the knowledge to fix annoying, crippling car balance and I couldn’t stop trying out new cars and taming them! It gave me so much enjoyment. Also thanks to @Puffpirat and @miagi from RevolutionSimRacing.com (http://www.revolutionsimracing.com) for adding in bits and reviewing the document! RSR is where I race, be sure to check them out!

Please, enjoy! If you have any questions, remarks or suggestions, please let me know in the thread! There are little sentence mistakes but all will be fixed in the new version!

Click the image to go the the online pdf!

https://preview.ibb.co/hHF3uo/Project_Cars_2_Setup_Guide_by_Nighttiger_Page_01.png (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pYxNpsdXETbp_C6OmjpIOdu3Jz4McxtJ/view?usp=sharing)

Table of contents: how to use this guide, car behavior, Mechanical balance vs Aero balance, The golden rules of making a setup, 1. the baseline, 2. brake balance and pressure, 3. Brake ducts, 4. Tyre pressures, tyres explained, 5. camber, 6. gearing, 7. Ride Height, 8. ARB & springs, ride height & springs explained, 9. aero, 10. Diff, 11. Toe, 12. Dampers, 13. Bump stops, 14. Qualifying.

t0daY
28-06-2018, 13:44
5/5!

Deserves a sticky in my opinion, but I am slightly biased :P

BrainsBush
28-06-2018, 14:19
We racers get spoiled. The very helpful video's of Yorkie and now this guide. Thx for creating and sharing.
And then ofcourse the great FREE community.

First impression of this guide. Easy to read, good content, kudos for mentioning the references used.

Zeratall
28-06-2018, 14:59
Great beginning guide! Well written and covers the basics in a clear concise way.

Anyone wanting to dive deep I recommend reading the Tune Bible: RCVD
https://www.amazon.com/Race-Car-Vehicle-Dynamics-Premiere/dp/1560915269/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1530197805&sr=1-1&keywords=race+car+vehicle+dynamics

Or any Carroll Smith book:
https://www.amazon.com/Tune-Win-science-development-tuning/dp/0879380713/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1530197834&sr=1-1&keywords=tune+to+win

and if you are looking on how to interpret telemetry results :
https://www.amazon.com/Making-Sense-Squiggly-Lines-Chris/dp/0983259313/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1530197917&sr=1-1&keywords=squiggly+lines

Atak Kat
28-06-2018, 15:01
Nice. Will read through it and learn something for sure.

Do you have any sort of place where you accept donations?

Konan
28-06-2018, 15:08
5/5!

Deserves a sticky in my opinion, but I am slightly biased :P

Done deal...:cool:

Edit:Good screenshots too...:p

cluck
28-06-2018, 15:48

Do you have any sort of place where you accept donations?If you send the money to my paypal account ( Iwontkeepitformyselfhonestly@totallylegit.guv ) then I'll make sure nighttiger receives it :)

EDIT : In case there is any doubt, whatsoever, do NOT send money to that address, it is of course a poor attempt at humour. But at least I didn't mention coleslaw or s**b in the address, so there is that to be thankful for!

Konan
28-06-2018, 16:06
If you send the money to my paypal account ( Iwontkeepitformyselfhonestly@totallylegit.guv ) then I'll make sure nighttiger receives it :)

EDIT : In case there is any doubt, whatsoever, do NOT send money to that address, it is of course a poor attempt at humour. But at least I didn't mention coleslaw or s**b in the address, so there is that to be thankful for!

Why not? I did...
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?63883-Getting-the-Coupe-back-on-the-road&p=1523784&viewfull=1#post1523784

(I know...i'm shamelessly linking my own thread but every tip is a usefull one LOL )

davidt33
28-06-2018, 17:02
This seems to be a really good resource. Thanks for taking the time to put together.
Just had time to take a lil browse through for now but bookmarked for more in-depth reading and soaking in. Cheers.

Nighttiger
29-06-2018, 11:39

Do you have any sort of place where you accept donations?

Glad to hear that you are liking it! Currently I do not have anything set up for donations as it was just something I wanted to share with all drivers and I enjoyed doing it. If you really want to donate I wont stop you haha, you can send me a PM!

This seems to be a really good resource. Thanks for taking the time to put together.
Just had time to take a lil browse through for now but bookmarked for more in-depth reading and soaking in. Cheers.

No problem, let me know what you think when you read it more in-depth!

SteeevoJR
02-07-2018, 09:25
Thanks Nighttiger for the time and effort putting this together, this looks like a great resource!

ModoX
20-07-2018, 06:43
I used this last night for the first time, I'm pretty new to actually changing the setups on the cars. Worked through a couple of Yorkie's vids, and this seems to be a great compliment to them! I love the step by step nature, working through each piece one at a time. I spent a couple of hours on the Audi 90 at Laguna Seca for the Manufacturer event, and shaved about 4 seconds off my time, the car felt so much better. Between this and the Yorkie guides I feel good about taking on any setup challenge. Great stuff.

Gui22B
23-07-2018, 14:03
Great job! Thank you very much ! ;)

I am French and I would like to translate (google translation) this pdf to understand it well and to make it my own.

It is possible to recover somewhere the pdf file itself?

Gui22B

spanner
28-07-2018, 19:49
Wow, great resource of information. So much so i would like to print it so i can read it when setting up the car. Can i pay to access the pdf?

davidt33
28-07-2018, 20:11
Wow, great resource of information. So much so i would like to print it so i can read it when setting up the car. Can i pay to access the pdf?
When you click on the image in post #1 to view the online PDF (see Click the image to go the the online pdf!), simply from your browser menu: File...Select "Export as PDF".
A pop up window should open asking you where to save it (a PDF download version). Simply choose the download location, click "Save". Find the PDF downloaded there. Open and print as you wish.
You can also print a hardcopy from the online PDF too without downloading. Choose File: Print.

sherpa25
29-07-2018, 01:52
When you click on the image in post #1 to view the online PDF (see Click the image to go the the online pdf!), simply from your browser menu: File...Select "Export as PDF".
A pop up window should open asking you where to save it (a PDF download version). Simply choose the download location, click "Save". Find the PDF downloaded there. Open and print as you wish.
You can also print a hardcopy from the online PDF too without downloading. Choose File: Print.

Hi, using Chrome, I don't have Export. Print only prints page 1.

spanner
29-07-2018, 08:20
Yes, It doesnt load as a pdf in the browser so you cant save it like described above. Its a google docs file so doesnt allow printing.

davidt33
29-07-2018, 11:58
Hi, using Chrome, I don't have Export. Print only prints page 1.

Yes, It doesnt load as a pdf in the browser so you cant save it like described above. Its a google docs file so doesnt allow printing.
True. Just tried it myself. I use Safari and that's how it's usually done as I described.
I have Chrome also so I tried doing it via Chrome just now but no dice as y'all said. Also tried it via Safari but it just exported a blank page as PDF.
Maybe the author could share some light.

i_r_eat
08-08-2018, 20:50
I'd like to print this as well. I need all the help I can get. lol

Nighttiger
16-08-2018, 14:13
Hey guys,

Sorry for answering the questions for a while but here I am. Currently I disabled downloads because I don't think reading it in a pdf reader offline adds much over reading it on the Pcars 2 forum/drive reader and currently don't want everyone to have the .pdf yet. Perhaps it is possible to bookmark the page and make it offline accessible in your browser?

MajorPain
21-08-2018, 00:10
Download fail why

Randy_Bstard
01-11-2018, 18:00
Is there any possibility of having this as a downloadable PDF file? as I'm not always able to get internet access to read this guide.

Chill Audette
29-11-2018, 14:02
Why can't we print this very good set up guide?

Scott Coffey
30-11-2018, 17:26
I would also like to have an offline copy.

wadafaka
29-12-2018, 00:48
Please next time just allow people to print and download it, you are sharing it after all... I don't understand why you put those limitations on there.
For those who want a convenient PDF to view/print ->

Mod edit: link removed

It's somewhat searchable now, OCR had some trouble with the title fonts, but the main content should be good. (it also reduces the filesize somewhat) best I can do...

Bealdor
29-12-2018, 08:47
Please next time just allow people to print and download it, you are sharing it after all... I don't understand why you put those limitations on there.
For those who want a convenient PDF to view/print -> It's somewhat searchable now, OCR had some trouble with the title fonts, but the main content should be good. (it also reduces the filesize somewhat) best I can do...

Did you ask the owner of the document to share it like that? I guess not.
There's a reason he didn't want it to be shared this way.

wadafaka
29-12-2018, 15:08
Well in my defense he said it was because "Currently I disabled downloads because I don't think reading it in a pdf reader offline adds much over reading it on the Pcars 2 forum/drive reader" but I can see many people ask for it though. Besides, anyone can make a PDF of it by themselves for personal use, I'm pretty sure that's covered under fair use :D since the content is fully accessible. I'm not stealing credit here, just making it more accessible. I understand why you remove the link as a moderator, so that's fine. But I still think it's a weird decision to not make the PDF downloadable/printable. If I was (re)distributing paid content or something then I would totally understand it.