PDA

View Full Version : Ye old "Current and next" frustration

norteenick
29-06-2018, 16:40
Please don't take this as a rant, it's constructive criticism...i hope ;).

"Current and next lap invalidated", it's the single most frustrating part of the game for me at the moment.

I am an absolute fan of the track limit penalties and fully back the need to include them in the game. Not everyone is as honest as others when it comes to track limits, so the decision to disable track limits when setting up a lobby is never an easy one to make and it's best left on.

The current and next lap time invalidation is a little bit over the top. On most circuits within the game it will penalise a driver 3 or 4 corners from the end of a lap, even if the corner cut or outside track limit exceeded has no bearing on the start of the next lap. As we are always pushing in Quali' it is always easy to push too hard and make a genuine mistake. A mistake that is punished with "current and next" popping up, this is hair pullingly frustrating and i can't afford to lose any more hair :o.

I'm sure i speak for many in the PCars community (and this has been raised many times since Pcars1) when i ask if this could please be looked at for the next Update.

Is it possible to move the "current and next" detection zones to the final corners that do make a difference to the run into the next lap? Not just the final sector?

Please change this, not just for me but for my hair line too! :D

Shogun613
29-06-2018, 16:57
I understand your frustration, especially when I'm on a fast lap, sweating my balls off, telling myself "I'll go to bed right after this lap..."
Then I make a mistake in the last few corners and that message pops up, and all of a sudden I have a minimum of two laps to go before I can call it a night, 🤣

Dano8881
29-06-2018, 16:58
Please don't take this as a rant, it's constructive criticism...i hope ;).

"Current and next lap invalidated", it's the single most frustrating part of the game for me at the moment.

I am an absolute fan of the track limit penalties and fully back the need to include them in the game. Not everyone is as honest as others when it comes to track limits, so the decision to disable track limits when setting up a lobby is never an easy one to make and it's best left on.

The current and next lap time invalidation is a little bit over the top. On most circuits within the game it will penalise a driver 3 or 4 corners from the end of a lap, even if the corner cut or outside track limit exceeded has no bearing on the start of the next lap. As we are always pushing in Quali' it is always easy to push too hard and make a genuine mistake. A mistake that is punished with "current and next" popping up, this is hair pullingly frustrating and i can't afford to lose any more hair :o.

I'm sure i speak for many in the PCars community (and this has been raised many times since Pcars1) when i ask if this could please be looked at for the next Update.

Is it possible to move the "current and next" detection zones to the final corners that do make a difference to the run into the next lap? Not just the final sector?

Please change this, not just for me but for my hair line too! :D

Agree 100%.

I am also in favour of track limit system although I do feel on some tracks its a bit ott but that's a different debate.

The current and next should be last corner not last sector as you could run wide 2 or 3 corners from the end of the lap which would not effect or gain an advantage for next lap, when doing short qualifying session in league races this is a big issue. Just my 2 penny's worth.

r200ti
29-06-2018, 17:23
yeh another agree hear.

What i find really painful is when you join a server with 1lap and 2 seconds left. And you run a smidge wide on cold tyres half way round your rushed warmup lap and bang, back of grid thank you. (which then leaves you a 50/50 chance of even making it over the start line!)
Sweet.

AbeWoz
29-06-2018, 17:31
the 'current and next' system has been in games as far back as Forza 2 (that I remember). While admittedly annoying, he helps prevent people from getting unfair advantages to begin laps as some tracks like Le Mans can gain massive time if you fly past the Ford Chicanes.

It's also easier and quicker/cheaper to code the system for all of sector 3 rather and a track-by-track basis.

But overall I agree that it's annoying, but 100% understand why it is the way it is.

LukeC1991
29-06-2018, 17:37
Completely agree, it's so frustrating especially at really long tracks. The game invalidates your next lap if you go off in the Porsche Curves for example.

chieflongshin
29-06-2018, 17:44
Agree 100%.

I am also in favour of track limit system although I do feel on some tracks its a bit ott but that's a different debate.

The current and next should be last corner not last sector as you could run wide 2 or 3 corners from the end of the lap which would not effect or gain an advantage for next lap, when doing short qualifying session in league races this is a big issue. Just my 2 penny's worth.

+1 I agree

Dano8881
29-06-2018, 18:14
the 'current and next' system has been in games as far back as Forza 2 (that I remember). While admittedly annoying, he helps prevent people from getting unfair advantages to begin laps as some tracks like Le Mans can gain massive time if you fly past the Ford Chicanes.

It's also easier and quicker/cheaper to code the system for all of sector 3 rather and a track-by-track basis.

But overall I agree that it's annoying, but 100% understand why it is the way it is.

Don't think anyone wants to do away with the current and next system, the issue with it is that its a system to stop people using a cut to gain an advantage into the following lap. The only way that will happen is to cut last turn your example is spot on le mans, but if you run wide or cut at the porsche curves you loose next lap why when you can't possibly gain anything for next lap at porsche curves. Instead of coding now and next to last sector code it to last corner, system will work as intended and frustrations sorted out.

R-VR Closet
29-06-2018, 20:45
Agree 100%.

+1
All that is needed is the last corner..

cpcdem
29-06-2018, 20:51

I don't think any other game has implemented this so annoyingly, to invalidate next lap even if you are more than 5 corners before the last lap. I understand it's done this way because it was easier, but it causes way too much frustration for nothing really. If SMS are willing to change this system to a km based position on track, I'd me more than happy personally to calculate the position for every single track at which it makes sense to invalidate next lap after that point. I am sure it will not take me more than a few hours.

Ryori San
29-06-2018, 22:01

Original Forza had it too, but it only happened if you cut the last corner instead of anywhere in the final sector.

A Scott
29-06-2018, 22:13
If you dont cut the track you dont invalidate your time its simple, the penalty system currently is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo relaxed its basically turned off as it is.

RacingAtHome
29-06-2018, 23:22
If you dont cut the track you dont invalidate your time its simple, the penalty system currently is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo relaxed its basically turned off as it is.

I struggle to agree. So much, it's like you're playing a completely different name.

I go slightly wide at the penultimate corner at Ruapuna (where the next corner is a slower final corner) then I still get the next lap invalidated out of seemingly nothing.

Malcstar
29-06-2018, 23:45
What's in question is the "current and next lap". Yes, penalize for going out of track limits anywhere. To include the next lap to me is a bit extreme. Of course shorter tracks are tolerable but longer tracks suffer due to lack compensations for qualy time.

blinkngone
29-06-2018, 23:54
I struggle to agree. So much, it's like you're playing a completely different name.

I go slightly wide at the penultimate corner at Ruapuna (where the next corner is a slower final corner) then I still get the next lap invalidated out of seemingly nothing.

I agree with you. It's not a problem if you are just rolling around the track enjoying the scenery but when you are trying to make decent time and have to start cutting closer to the kerbs or ride them or simply error to find the limits it is a problem to lose all those laps. Especially when some car track combinations the tires don't really start to work well for 3 or 4 laps so just hitting restart in TT isn't just 2 laps gone it's much more. At least for me anyway.

A Scott
30-06-2018, 00:32
Is thier a option to turn off the pentalys ?, surely for those that want to run lobbys as a free for all do what you want style racing this is a option,
for others that just like to cruise around checking out the scenery sipping on a cold on they could run the pentaly system on everyone is happy.

cpcdem
30-06-2018, 01:13
Is thier a option to turn off the pentalys ?, surely for those that want to run lobbys as a free for all do what you want style racing this is a option,
for others that just like to cruise around checking out the scenery sipping on a cold on they could run the pentaly system on everyone is happy.

So it's either one of the two extremes, either invalidate laps due to going slightly out 1 km before the finish line, or completely disable cut track detection? Doing the later is also very bad, because people then can start completely cutting chicanes. I don't think it's too much to ask something in between...In Project CARS 1, the system was fine with invalidating the next lap, I don't think anybody complained. And if it was exploited in a couple tracks by a few people, it would be enough to just adjust the detection in only those tracks, and definitely not to such an extent that we have in PC2...

A Scott
30-06-2018, 02:13
So it's either one of the two extremes, either invalidate laps due to going slightly out 1 km before the finish line, or completely disable cut track detection? Doing the later is also very bad, because people then can start completely cutting chicanes. I don't think it's too much to ask something in between...In Project CARS 1, the system was fine with invalidating the next lap, I don't think anybody complained. And if it was exploited in a couple tracks by a few people, it would be enough to just adjust the detection in only those tracks, and definitely not to such an extent that we have in PC2...

So you wanna cut the last corner and not be penalised, but you still want others to be penalised if they cut the chicanes,
I have no idea how difficult it would be, but like F1 2017 have regular / basically switched off for the hardcore "Pro Racers" who like to top the leader boards, LOOK AT MY LAP TIME, wilst thier sat in a free practise session,
then have strict for the minority of Gentleman Drivers.

cpcdem
30-06-2018, 02:35
So you wanna cut the last corner and not be penalised, but you still want others to be penalised if they cut the chicanes,
I have no idea how difficult it would be, but like F1 2017 have regular / basically switched off for the hardcore "Pro Racers" who like to top the leader boards, LOOK AT MY LAP TIME, wilst thier sat in a free practise session,
then have strict for the minority of Gentleman Drivers.

Please read the OP, it explains the problem. No, I do not want to cut the last corner at all. What I want is that if I mess up a lap halfway through, I am already frustrated myself for messing it, last thing I want is the game punishing me further by invalidating also my next lap, even if I am currently at turn 10 of 15...

Also for offline players this is not that critical, you can just restart qualifying, problem solved. But online, you often have only 2 qualifying laps available, do a small mistake in sector 3 of lap 1 and your session is over, you start last, that's it.

A Scott
30-06-2018, 02:49
Please read the OP, it explains the problem. No, I do not want to cut the last corner at all. What I want is that if I mess up a lap halfway through, I am already frustrated myself for messing it, last thing I want is the game punishing me further by invalidating also my next lap, even if I am currently at turn 10 of 15...

Also for offline players this is not that critical, you can just restart qualifying, problem solved. But online, you often have only 2 qualifying laps available, do a small mistake in sector 3 of lap 1 and your session is over, you start last, that's it.

Thats racing I dont see the problem,
Online is never ever gonna be fair for everyone, the more the rules are relaxed the more some, not all, some will take full advantage and some,
Currently at Spa you can cut through Eau Rouge brake for les combes I think it is, and get 0 pentaly, how fair is that for the ones that dont cut, but its like this due to all the complaints, give a mm they'll take mile.
Lobbys need more options so everyone can tailor the lobby how they see fit, one fits all is never going to work.

cpcdem
30-06-2018, 03:03
Online is never ever gonna be fair for everyone, the more the rules are relaxed the more some, not all, some will take full advantage and some,
Currently at Spa you can cut through Eau Rouge brake for les combes I think it is, and get 0 pentaly, how fair is that for the ones that dont cut, but its like this due to all the complaints, give a mm they'll take mile.
Lobbys need more options so everyone can tailor the lobby how they see fit, one fits all is never going to work.

So you're in LeMans Bugatti, you try to go fast through the chicane, which is 6-7 corners before the finish line, you get your lap invalidated, but also your next lap gets immediately invalidated and you're saying "this is racing"? Sorry, to me this is very very far from racing.

A Scott
30-06-2018, 03:13
So you're in LeMans Bugatti, you try to go fast through the chicane, which is 6-7 corners before the finish line, you get your lap invalidated, but also your next lap gets immediately invalidated and you're saying "this is racing"? Sorry, to me this is very very far from racing.

Learn the track limits dont cut, or turn them off,
thier many features in this game that give a huge advantage yet receive 0 complaints, as soon as thier a punishment for abusing rules its a big deal.

cpcdem
30-06-2018, 03:28
Learn the track limits dont cut, or turn them off,
thier many features in this game that give a huge advantage yet receive 0 complaints, as soon as thier a punishment for abusing rules its a big deal.

Thank you very much, I will try to learn the limits.

rich1e I
30-06-2018, 11:30

You're mixing up two different issues, man. You're talking about an issue with the penalty system and how it's handled to serve a penalty. I agree, in some cases like Spa it's pointless. People cut Eau Rouge and keep going wide without consequences when ignoring the slow down message. The issue here is a problem when you're hotlapping or during qualifying.

A Scott
30-06-2018, 11:46
You're mixing up two different issues, man. You're talking about an issue with the penalty system and how it's handled to serve a penalty. I agree, in some cases like Spa it's pointless. People cut Eau Rouge and keep going wide without consequences when ignoring the slow down message. The issue here is a problem when you're hotlapping or during qualifying.

Yea I understand thier separate issues, but overall its the same if players didn't exceed they wouldnt get a invalidated lap and next lap invalidated,
I feel what ever SMS do they'll never please everyone, personally think theirs needs to be 2 systems like F1 2017 regular and strict kinda thing.

rich1e I
30-06-2018, 11:57
Yea I understand thier separate issues, but overall its the same if players didn't exceed they wouldnt get a invalidated lap and next lap invalidated,
I feel what ever SMS do they'll never please everyone, personally think theirs needs to be 2 systems like F1 2017 regular and strict kinda thing.

That's also true but mistakes happen and when you push a bit too much it's really frustrating because you have to do 1 1/2 laps for nothing. I think at Imola it's most annoying because it's so easy to invalidate your lap. If you want a good qualy time you have to attack the kerbs and you can easily eat a bit too much of them. I've had a few online session where I couldn't manage to get a clean lap.

A Scott
30-06-2018, 12:46
I understand and have experienced the same, but sorry dont know what the answer is,
But I feel more options needed in multiplayer.

cpcdem
30-06-2018, 12:53
I understand and have experienced the same, but sorry dont know what the answer is,

Well, the answer is extremely simple: Make the system not invalidate next lap if you are 5-6 corners before the finish line. Do that only for the last couple corners.

A Scott
30-06-2018, 13:49
Well, the answer is extremely simple: Make the system not invalidate next lap if you are 5-6 corners before the finish line. Do that only for the last couple corners.

Well its extremely simple to just learn from your mistakes from the previous lap, its what racers do wilst thier cruising around checking out the scenery,
If thier was gravel trap or a tire wall would you push as much through that turn thats 5-6 corners away from the finish, I think not,

Dave White
30-06-2018, 16:26
Well its extremely simple to just learn from your mistakes from the previous lap, its what racers do wilst thier cruising around checking out the scenery,
If thier was gravel trap or a tire wall would you push as much through that turn thats 5-6 corners away from the finish, I think not,
I think you're missing the point. The problem isn't that we screwed up this corner and invalidated the current lap - I'm pretty sure everyone expects that, and we'll try to do it better on the next lap. The problem is that if we make a mistake a few corners before the end of the lap that can't possibly help our lap time ON THE NEXT LAP, but it also invalidates our next lap. This is what we want to change.
If we cut/run wide in the final corner, we also accept that that can make you faster on the next lap, and we want that to invalidate the 'current and next', as it currently does.

A Scott
30-06-2018, 17:10
I think you're missing the point. The problem isn't that we screwed up this corner and invalidated the current lap - I'm pretty sure everyone expects that, and we'll try to do it better on the next lap. The problem is that if we make a mistake a few corners before the end of the lap that can't possibly help our lap time ON THE NEXT LAP, but it also invalidates our next lap. This is what we want to change.
If we cut/run wide in the final corner, we also accept that that can make you faster on the next lap, and we want that to invalidate the 'current and next', as it currently does.

I understand the point perfectly, and know how unfair it can be, like a lot of features currently in the game, but unlike a lot of features this issue has a work around.

cpcdem
30-06-2018, 17:41
I'll tell you what's happening, he had a feature request that almost everybody was against it (he's referencing it in every other post), and now he's hijacking threads with sensible requests just to turn them down and pay it back to us.

TekNeil
30-06-2018, 19:01
+1 to what Dave said.

A Scott
30-06-2018, 23:36
I'll tell you what's happening, he had a feature request that almost everybody was against it (he's referencing it in every other post), and now he's hijacking threads with sensible requests just to turn them down and pay it back to us.

Sensible requests ?
Ill tell you whats happening, I understand the title needs to be accessible to the self pro claimed "Pro's" who couldn't spell SIM if given the consonant letters as a clue,
but I fail to see how even with all the game aids its the titles fault they cant put a clean lap togher,
On realise this title was worth racing online, now 6 patch's on online you've managed to turn into a Forza style commuinty with ZERO rules.

Shinzah
01-07-2018, 01:40
Sensible requests ?
Ill tell you whats happening, I understand the title needs to be accessible to the self proclaimed "Pros" who couldn't spell SIM if given the consonant letters as a clue.
But I fail to see how even with all the game aids its the titles fault they cant put a clean lap together.
On release this title was worth racing online, now 6 patch's on online you've managed to turn into a Forza style community with ZERO rules.

Hey buddy, fixed that for ya. Just a friendly Shin showing others what you probably meant to say, since your spelling and grammar is atrocious.

I'll tell you all what's happening.

This guy can't even put a clean post together without making a mistake and he's playing at criticizing others for based complaints about a legitimate game fault.

I'm glad he can spell SIM though. I have serious doubts whether or not he can spell "Simulator".

A Scott
01-07-2018, 01:50
Hey buddy, fixed that for ya. Just a friendly Shin showing others what you probably meant to say, since your spelling and grammar is atrocious.

I'll tell you all what's happening.

This guy can't even put a clean post together without making a mistake and he's playing at criticizing others for based complaints about a legitimate game fault.

I'm glad he can spell SIM though. I have serious doubts whether or not he can spell "Simulator".

Tankyou, I wanst awair dat tis waz adout granner bot yur hlpe prving mi pinot,
Can I loke you psot tooo please.257011

Flens07
01-07-2018, 09:00
I can only agree with that - it is very incongruous if the entire third sector counts as the "dangerzone" for the current round. Last turn, for my part the last two turns !!
If I already read: Learn the tracklimits! It can be that you have missed the braking point and then just want to use the next round. But that does not work and leads in particular to the qualification to great displeasure in the whole community ( I only play in multiplayer).

Such a thing is in this strict form synonymous only with Project Cars (okay, I do not know iracing)

A Scott
01-07-2018, 10:52
Your Welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY0AXIBzN2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD278mKEyos

Shinzah
01-07-2018, 12:29
"Learn the track limits" Isn't an ideal situation for a SIMULATION. If the point is to simulate reality, nobody does this.

Half the time the race director lets cars 'get away' with some lateral movement with track limits. In fact I watched several races at several tracks and saw cars not receive penalties for what would be egregious track limit violations in project cars 2.

But this has nothing to do with the full lap, it has to do with the final sector. And there is literally no ruleset I can know of where the final sector of a racecourse has the race director invalidate the entire NEXT lap for a violation that happens more than one corner near the end of the circuit with no bearing on the next lap. This simply doesn't happen.

So the elitist approach of "git gud" doesn't apply to simulators if the objective is a believable or passable simulation of reality.

I understand the way the system is implemented is because of ease of implementation but that also is saying that the hard work wasn't done in order to present the best possible simulation.

Drivers don't get penalized for pushing too hard and going a little bit off the track limits several corners before the end of a lap. This doesn't happen in reality and a simulation should not be arbitrarily harder than reality for the purposes of stroking your particular eliteboner.

I agree with the other 90% of this thread. It should be active on the final corner of each track. But this is unlikely to change as it would probably be a massive undertaking for a 'small' feature. Which is unfortunate and regretful but it is understandable.

cpcdem
01-07-2018, 14:49
Your Welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY0AXIBzN2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD278mKEyos

Can you stop being so disrespectful to everyone else? You are not talking to 5 year olds, so cut this out please.

cpcdem
01-07-2018, 14:59
I agree with the other 90% of this thread. It should be active on the final corner of each track. But this is unlikely to change as it would probably be a massive undertaking for a 'small' feature. Which is unfortunate and regretful but it is understandable.

I do not believe it is a massive undertaking at all. The game maintains a "track completed" sort of property for the car, for example in a 5000m track, it knows if the car is at track location 4000m, or 4500m etc. Implementing this correctly would require assigning a position for each track after which next track should also be invalidated indeed, if the player goes off track.

For example in Imola this point would be set to just after the second to last corner, as any off after that point could lead to getting more speed down the straight, so both laps should be invalidated. It would take at most 5 mins to find this spot for each track, so for all of the around 100 tracks/variations we have in game, it would take around only 4 hours for somebody to do it. I'd me more than happy to do that myself, this track position is supplied through telemetry, so it is extremely easy to do this.

A Scott
01-07-2018, 15:30
Can you stop being so disrespectful to everyone else? You are not talking to 5 year olds, so cut this out please.

I could agree more, perhaps if everybody practised what you preached inc yourself, this forum would be a better place.

Shinzah
01-07-2018, 15:37
I do not believe it is a massive undertaking at all. The game maintains a "track completed" sort of property for the car, for example in a 5000m track, it knows if the car is at track location 4000m, or 4500m etc. Implementing this correctly would require assigning a position for each track after which next track should also be invalidated indeed, if the player goes off track.

For example in Imola this point would be set to just after the second to last corner, as any off after that point could lead to getting more speed down the straight, so both laps should be invalidated. It would take at most 5 mins to find this spot for each track, so for all of the around 100 tracks/variations we have in game, it would take around only 4 hours for somebody to do it. I'd me more than happy to do that myself, this track position is supplied through telemetry, so it is extremely easy to do this.

Don't forget, these changes also have to be built into a testing build, each track needs to be tested by a QA tester to make sure it functions properly without bugs and then the changes have to be integrated into a patch and the patch has to be uploaded. Ideally, of course.

cpcdem
01-07-2018, 21:30
Don't forget, these changes also have to be built into a testing build, each track needs to be tested by a QA tester to make sure it functions properly without bugs and then the changes have to be integrated into a patch and the patch has to be uploaded. Ideally, of course.

Fair enough, but I am not sure such an extensive Q&A is really important for this, I mean it is currently very bad the way this feature is implemented now, in what sense can a change make it worse?

Shinzah
01-07-2018, 21:53
Fair enough, but I am not sure such an extensive Q&A is really important for this, I mean it is currently very bad the way this feature is implemented now, in what sense can a change make it worse?

If they really mess up something, people are going to complain a lot worse than this. That's why testing is important!

The variables are there, but that doesn't mean a mistake in the implementation can't happen. A patch that leads to a worse situation for players isn't really ideal.

Edit: Especially for Shin on a bandwidth limited connection

cpcdem
01-07-2018, 22:09
If they really mess up something, people are going to complain a lot worse than this. That's why testing is important!

The variables are there, but that doesn't mean a mistake in the implementation can't happen. A patch that leads to a worse situation for players isn't really ideal.

Edit: Especially for Shin on a bandwidth limited connection

Yes, of course it needs to be tested at least with a few tracks. But that's it in my opinion, testing this with some is enough, if for some track out of ten it is still not working as expected or is worse than what it is now, I think it's a very worthwhile risk, in order to improve (for at least most of the tracks) the current situation we have now...

Dave White
02-07-2018, 08:38
"We'd have to test it if we changed it" isn't a reason not to change something, surely? I get that it's a bit of work, but it only requires someone to drive about 3 laps on each circuit to confirm the fix (since it's such an easily reproducible issue) - that's not trivial of course, but if you don't have the testing capacity to do that in a project of this size then you're overstretched.

Flens07
03-07-2018, 08:34
There is a special "Super WMD Test Team", which is "installed" for beta-testing. So it should be possible, that this team check the tracks...

The team is not a secret: https://steamdb.info/app/378860/depots/

blinkngone
03-07-2018, 21:23
Jeez, if you go off behind the barriers before the last left at Sonoma National it's a current and next penalty, for the love of god it would be nice to fix some of these.:D

Robhd
03-07-2018, 21:38
This is just my own thoughts but I did wonder if the definition of 'track limits' is the issue? Fof example is it all 4 wheels past the rumble strips, or two or just step off the blackstuff? In F1 its all 4 wheels but other formula seem to interpret this differently... In the game it seems to be inconsistent... Why not set it at one absolute, tell us, bin just that one lap and let us all get on with it...

Mahjik
03-07-2018, 21:49
is it all 4 wheels past the rumble strips, or two or just step off the blackstuff?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?63337-3-types-of-curb-Curves-and-the-legality-of-running-by-them&p=1511989&viewfull=1#post1511989