PDA

View Full Version : til The GT40 MrkII only raced for one year, in 66

Javaniceday
02-07-2018, 21:46
While the GT40 MkIV raced (and won LeMans) in 67 and like 2 or 3 more years..

So it was vastly more successful. I was kinda disappointed that we didn't get the MkII with the LeMans DLC (along with the Ferrari P3), but maybe this is why that decision was made. 'cuz the MkII only raced one year, and the MkIV was... idk, more iconic, for racing more?

Honestly, I wanted the MkII 'cuz it just looks better. Does anyone know why this decision was made the way it was?

Stewy32
02-07-2018, 22:24
I guess as all the cars in the DLC work well with each other and the MkII may have ended up out of place.Also,licensing.

Mahjik
02-07-2018, 22:48
SMS doesn't necessarily get to pick any car to license. There may be specific reasons why a manufacturer wants a certain car represented over another.

rich1e I
02-07-2018, 22:53
I think you've already given the answer yourself. It raced more and was more successful so it's more iconic and has a lot more history, plus it had an epic battle with Ferrari and their 330 P4. I remember SMS had published a text describing that battle and it was an absolutely awesome read.
https://www.projectcarsgame.com/epic-1967-showdown-ferrari-330-p4-ford-mk-iv-coming-project-cars-2/

It could also be that SMS had planned that the Ferrari would be definitely in the game so they choose the MkIV because of that historic battle. I agree, the MkII looks better in my view, though.

Javaniceday
02-07-2018, 23:43
I think you've already given the answer yourself. It raced more and was more successful so it's more iconic and has a lot more history, plus it had an epic battle with Ferrari and their 330 P4. I remember SMS had published a text describing that battle and it was an absolutely awesome read.
https://www.projectcarsgame.com/epic-1967-showdown-ferrari-330-p4-ford-mk-iv-coming-project-cars-2/

It could also be that SMS had planned that the Ferrari would be definitely in the game so they choose the MkIV because of that historic battle. I agree, the MkII looks better in my view, though.

That was a great read.

Hugo Catarino
03-07-2018, 08:04
Ford GT40 lover and history geek right here :P Its the other way around,the Mk2 raced for a longer time than the Mk4

The MkIV raced only one year (1967) and in two races (watkins glen and Le Mans) and won both.after that,the FIA banned the 7.0 liter cars,so Ford quitted,followed by Ferrari.
The Mk2 raced for 2 years ('66 and '67) on a number of tracks, with special sucess at Le Mans and Daytona.
The Mk4 was more sucessfull? well,it won both races it entered,which gives it a 100% suceses rate,but the Mk2 is more arguably more recognizable.Plus,the Mk4 was vastly superior to anything on track,including the Ferrari 330 p4,só ir wasnt that hard to win races for them.
The most sucessfull however,was the Mk1.it raced from 65-69,and pretty much won most of the famous endurace races it entered with Jonh Wyer team (the one that raced with the gulf colors).The Mk1 is by dar the most famous,recognizable and sucessfull GT40.
I gess its nota featured on PC due to licensing (Assetto Corsa has it),so as with the Mk2 (Forza gás it).That left the Mk4 to.Maybe SMS thought it was ussless to put another GT40 in PC2.
Personally,i would kill to see the Jonh Wyer version.Also the Porsche 908 to recreate the most epic Battle ever at the Le Mans,the famous last 1h30 of 1969 that ended with Ford's victory by only 1,2 seconds

MaximusN
03-07-2018, 08:12
I remember when it was introduced during PC1 WMD. Was soooo stoked that the GT40(which for me IS the MkII(/I)) was coming until I realized it looked nothing like the car I love. Drove it a few times and that was the end of it. I know it's stupid because you don't even see the outside when you're racing, but it really does keep me from driving it to this very day.

balderz002
03-07-2018, 09:12
You could say the Mk.I had the longest life as it was the first to race, and the last to win after the big block engines got banned.

Javaniceday
03-07-2018, 11:18
Ford GT40 lover and history geek right here :P Its the other way around,the Mk2 raced for a longer time than the Mk4

The MkIV raced only one year (1967) and in two races (watkins glen and Le Mans) and won both.after that,the FIA banned the 7.0 liter cars,so Ford quitted,followed by Ferrari.
The Mk2 raced for 2 years ('66 and '67) on a number of tracks, with special sucess at Le Mans and Daytona.
The Mk4 was more sucessfull? well,it won both races it entered,which gives it a 100% suceses rate,but the Mk2 is more arguably more recognizable.Plus,the Mk4 was vastly superior to anything on track,including the Ferrari 330 p4,só ir wasnt that hard to win races for them.
The most sucessfull however,was the Mk1.it raced from 65-69,and pretty much won most of the famous endurace races it entered with Jonh Wyer team (the one that raced with the gulf colors).The Mk1 is by dar the most famous,recognizable and sucessfull GT40.
I gess its nota featured on PC due to licensing (Assetto Corsa has it),so as with the Mk2 (Forza gás it).That left the Mk4 to.Maybe SMS thought it was ussless to put another GT40 in PC2.
Personally,i would kill to see the Jonh Wyer version.Also the Porsche 908 to recreate the most epic Battle ever at the Le Mans,the famous last 1h30 of 1969 that ended with Ford's victory by only 1,2 seconds

Ooooh, I think we have a winner. Forza has the license. Damn, of all games, Forza.

Did the Mk2 really beat the P4? 'cuz the P4 was built in reaction to losing LeMans in 66, which of course was countered again by Ford building the Mk4 to race in 67. I always thought the Mk1 was a bit of a failure....

rich1e I
03-07-2018, 13:59
It's true, it's the other way around. The MkIV only raced in '67. The MkII won Le Mans in '66 with a 1-2-3 finish but failed in '67 at the Daytona 24h where Ferrari smashed the competition.

balderz002
03-07-2018, 14:11
Did the Mk2 really beat the P4?....

IIRC, 67' was won by the GT40 Mk.IV, with Ferrari P4's taking 2nd and 3rd.

I don't think any Mk.II's finished the race that year............

The Mirage M1 would be the car I would try to licence..................

Hugo Catarino
03-07-2018, 19:28
Ooooh, I think we have a winner. Forza has the license. Damn, of all games, Forza.

Did the Mk2 really beat the P4? 'cuz the P4 was built in reaction to losing LeMans in 66, which of course was countered again by Ford building the Mk4 to race in 67. I always thought the Mk1 was a bit of a failure....

The mk2 beated the p4 in qualy for the Daytona,but in the race they lost bad.They a good match o eachother:the ferrari was better in turns,the mk2 was better in straight speed.at the end of the day the p4 was a bit better i reckon.But the mk4 had a more powerfull engine and that made a hell of a difference.

At 1966/1967,the MKI was outdated,but with the banning of big engines in 67 it suddenly became the only option.John Wyer worked in the original GT40s and modified some for is racing team.The GT40 that won Le Mans in '68 and '69 is slighty different from the mk1 that raced in 65 and in other years on smaller teams.It had a larger rear end to accomodate bigger tyres,aswell as mechanical improvements.Some other teams copied this design.That modified GT40 was the fastest mk1 ever,and could probably go head to head with the mk2 since it was better in turns.

The mk1 was a bit of a failure for Ford in its early stages,with retirements due to mec issues (mostly transmission and gears problems).Non factory teams had some sucess with it.But during its "second life" (specially during the 1968 season) won many races and the championship.In 1969 raced only two races (12h seabring and 24h le mans),and won both races against faster and modern cars because it was such a reliable car.In the end,it's the most sucessfull and famous of all the GT40's.

Hugo Catarino
03-07-2018, 20:13
Speaking off the ford vs ferrari and the mk2, i just found out there will be a 2019 movie about the 1966 Le Mans race,starring Matt Damon as Carol Shelby,Christian Bale as Ken Miles.what a wonderfull coincidence...

David Wright
03-07-2018, 21:31
The mk2 beated the p4 in qualy for the Daytona,but in the race they lost bad.They a good match o eachother:the ferrari was better in turns,the mk2 was better in straight speed.at the end of the day the p4 was a bit better i reckon.But the mk4 had a more powerfull engine and that made a hell of a difference.

The Mk4 had the same engine as the 67 version of the Mk2 (sometimes referred to as the Mk2B). Its main advantages were slightly lower weight and lower drag.

balderz002
04-07-2018, 09:07
Speaking off the ford vs ferrari and the mk2, i just found out there will be a 2019 movie about the 1966 Le Mans race,starring Matt Damon as Carol Shelby,Christian Bale as Ken Miles.what a wonderfull coincidence...

Will that be the Movie adaptation of AJ Baimes book 'Go like hell'?

No, wait, that pretty much encompassed the whole Ford Vs Ferrari era ending with the '67 race didn't it?

But then hey, '66 was very controversial with the 3 in a row finish that robbed Ken Miles of victory! I don't think he ever forgave Ford for that.........

I'd be surprised if Ken Miles wasn't one of Tank's motorsport heroes, being an ex WW2 British tank commander and all................

Tank621
04-07-2018, 20:31
Welp guess I have some history to read up on then :D

rich1e I
07-07-2018, 18:40
A little time travel

http://www.radiolemans.co/2018/07/05/le-mans-classic-2018/