PDA

View Full Version : My Mojo has gone!

jimortality
06-07-2018, 23:49
For about 2 months now, I seem to have lost my gaming mojo. I keep trying to race or game but there's nothing there, no excitement no enjoyment nothing! I've tried different games but mainly Pcars 2. I have been gaming for 40 years and maybe this is how it ends lol. I've gone days without even turning my pc on. Anyone else experienced mojo loss?

Shinzah
07-07-2018, 00:38
If you've had a hobby for forty years and it suddenly has changed, it could be a symptom of something.

I've had issues with gaming/racing but for me it was bouts of depression and usually finding something else to make me happy for a while will let me return to it. Not to say its true in your case though, it could just be as you said - time for it to be over.

BigDad
07-07-2018, 01:31
I have times that changing Sims makes all the difference!

I play say pC2 to death and get to a point where it just feels dull and boring and go to rF2 and its like , Man why have I been playing pC2 all this time ! I should have been playing this ! Then 40 hours later , same thing and I jump to R3E and its like ground hog Day , why wasn't I playing R3E all along , lol

Mix it up a bit ! Move away from pC2 for a bit and you might feel a breath of fresh air for pC2 in a couple of months .

We are lucky that we have a good selection to choose from and more still coming .

jimortality
07-07-2018, 02:17
I have times that changing Sims makes all the difference!

I play say pC2 to death and get to a point where it just feels dull and boring and go to rF2 and its like , Man why have I been playing pC2 all this time ! I should have been playing this ! Then 40 hours later , same thing and I jump to R3E and its like ground hog Day , why wasn't I playing R3E all along , lol

Mix it up a bit ! Move away from pC2 for a bit and you might feel a breath of fresh air for pC2 in a couple of months .

We are lucky that we have a good selection to choose from and more still coming .

Thing is, I feel the same about all gaming and I can't even turn my pc on somedays.

jimortality
07-07-2018, 02:18
If you've had a hobby for forty years and it suddenly has changed, it could be a symptom of something.

I've had issues with gaming/racing but for me it was bouts of depression and usually finding something else to make me happy for a while will let me return to it. Not to say its true in your case though, it could just be as you said - time for it to be over.

Interesting as I have suffered with depression for 26 years and they changed my meds in February so........... could be related to that.

Bealdor
07-07-2018, 08:05
Thing is, I feel the same about all gaming and I can't even turn my pc on somedays.

Happens to me regularly.
Sometimes I don't play any game for weeks and then I'll be doing 2-3 hour sessions everyday again even though I don't really have the time for it.

Konan
07-07-2018, 08:55
I agree with Shinzah (can't believe i just said that :p ) usually for me it's because i found other interesting things to do and don't have my mind on gaming...when i do start a game up after a while though i usually get hooked again.

Olijke Poffer
07-07-2018, 09:31
Same over here m8. I may game for months in a row and suddenly I have weeks I don’t even look at the PC.
But this is the same for other hobbies or things. Sometimes you need to switch and focus on something else.
After a couple of weeks you start feeling the need of fireup the PC and start gaming again.
I would not make it a big case. Leave it for what is is and go enjoy other things in live.

morpwr
07-07-2018, 13:18
Interesting as I have suffered with depression for 26 years and they changed my meds in February so........... could be related to that.

Don't be afraid to question the doctors choices. If they changed your meds and now something is different ask! My uncle just went through 3 months of being in and out of hospitals and almost died because of doctors choices. The last problem and stay in a hospital was all medication related because he didn't have the issue before which he kept telling them and when they finally listened he was right. But that took 4 days of tests and finding nothing before they finally decided to listen to him and try taking him off it.

jimortality
07-07-2018, 13:52
The problem is, the new meds have helped me with other problems I was having especially at work so I don't want to mess with them. Some of your experiences sound similar and instead of fighting it, just accept it and hopefully it will come back. I used to play the piano when I was younger and I've bought a electronic piano to relearn so maybe having a change of hobby may help.

Invincible
07-07-2018, 15:04
I'm sort of in the same boat currently. I can't motivate myself to get some practice in for the upcoming league races and my pc was collecting dust for nearly two months. I still pay some fallout 4 on PS4 from time to time, but that's about it. I already thought about selling all my SimRacing stuff and get some performance parts for my car instead.

Ian Bell
07-07-2018, 15:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEuw2mgLRuQ

sas5320
07-07-2018, 19:02
Same, enjoying friends, sports, sex, restaurants. Considering finally dumping my G27. Maybe I'll get a Switch for casual gaming down the road. Feels good to get off the couch and interact with people un-virtually. Also got a nice new car so very much prefer driving that to computer racing.

poirqc
07-07-2018, 19:11
I've gamed extensively couple hours everyday, for the last 15 years(gaming for 25) 2 months ago, the crave finaly ended. Beside pCars 2, witch I rarely do now, I don't play any game anymore.

I'll pop a SNES game for 10 minutes before an activity, but that's it.

It can happen to everyone of us!

MrTulip
07-07-2018, 21:49
Yes, it can happen to everyone of us! :)

I've lost my gaming mojo several times in last twenty years when I've been too tired to play anymore in the evenings, after working too hard for too many weeks straight. When you eventually find time to play again, you just have to find something that hooks you back in. But it has to be something else than what is your "main game". Something that offers new experiences, or at least is different enough and is *very fun* while you do it. The last one is the most important thing. Car simulators may help clearing up ones mind from the work related things, but they are not always fun since they can be taxing (pun intended) and do not necessarily offer you new experiences.

Sometimes I go retro spree, MAME emulators, Amiga emulators, shmups. Even point'n'click adventure games (Thimbleweed Park was awesome). Sometimes flying simulators can help or beyond those; Elite Dangerous is a good one for a simulator minded with its myriad of things to learn from the scratch. Or if there is a type of game you once liked but preferred something else for a very long time, try going back at it again.

Of late big name games that I've personally found mesmerizing with their gameplay systems and astonished by their inventive levels have been Dishonored 2, Prey and Far Cry 5 (just goofing around in the last one is simply refreshing). And on the pure shooter side Nex Machina is a top one.

jimortality
07-07-2018, 21:54
Yes, it can happen to everyone of us! :)

I've lost my gaming mojo several times in last twenty years when I've been too tired to play anymore in the evenings, after working too hard for too many weeks straight. When you eventually find time to play again, you just have to find something that hooks you back in. But it has to be something else than what is your "main game". Something that offers new experiences, or at least is different enough and is *very fun* while you do it. The last one is the most important thing. Car simulators may help clearing up ones mind from the work related things, but they are not always fun since they can be taxing (pun intended) and do not necessarily offer you new experiences.

Sometimes I go retro spree, MAME emulators, Amiga emulators, shmups. Even point'n'click adventure games (Thimbleweed Park was awesome). Sometimes flying simulators can help or beyond those; Elite Dangerous is a good one for a simulator minded with its myriad of things to learn from the scratch. Or if there is a type of game you once liked but preferred something else for a very long time, try going back at it again.

Of late big name games that I've personally found mesmerizing with their gameplay systems and astonished by their inventive levels have been Dishonored 2, Prey and Far Cry 5 (just goofing around in the last one is simply refreshing). And on the pure shooter side Nex Machina is a top one.

Well there are other games, battlefield, euro truck but I'm not going to force myself as I think that could push me further away, I don't know. I've signed up for a race on Thursday and if I enjoy the craic with the lads then maybe that will give me some life back into it.

Tank621
07-07-2018, 22:48
If you're not feeling it, you're not feeling it. Never force yourself to do something you don't want to do, just take a break and focus on something else for a bit

You know find an interesting book to read, or start a new TV series you haven't seen yet, and then if and when you get the itch to play some games go back to it

jimortality
07-07-2018, 23:20
Thanks all for your thoughts, I do appreciate it. I don't know you guys personally but it helps seeing others with similar feelings.

Mr Schumacher
08-07-2018, 06:20
This thread or topic belongs in the trash.. come on this is the last thing I want to read. I’m still waiting on my Mid 2000s GT1 cars and the GT sport style online racing coming to PCars.. After that, we can loses are Mojo

Olijke Poffer
08-07-2018, 08:02
This thread or topic belongs in the trash.. come on this is the last thing I want to read. I’m still waiting on my Mid 2000s GT1 cars and the GT sport style online racing coming to PCars.. After that, we can loses are Mojo

If it doesn’t count you then feel happy and enjoy your gaming. Beter not read this thread then..

Konan
08-07-2018, 11:33

Now THAT is a comment that belongs in the trash...I don't understand why you even took the trouble to write it.
How can you even comment about how people feel?

Mad Al
08-07-2018, 11:43
This thread or topic belongs in the trash.. come on this is the last thing I want to read. Iím still waiting on my Mid 2000s GT1 cars and the GT sport style online racing coming to PCars.. After that, we can loses are Mojo
To quote Martin Brundle

"I guess if your name is ShoeMaker, you can talk cobblers"

BigDad
08-07-2018, 14:05
The problem is, the new meds have helped me with other problems I was having especially at work so I don't want to mess with them. Some of your experiences sound similar and instead of fighting it, just accept it and hopefully it will come back. I used to play the piano when I was younger and I've bought a electronic piano to relearn so maybe having a change of hobby may help.

Man , dont get me started no meds ! Two of my Brothers , my only Sister and my Dad are all dead because of Meds , wrong type , too much or just too scared to take em !

I've been recently hospitalised due to Dr's thinking (trying to help) (i'm the only person in Australia to have what i have) a certain drug would help but i had a allergic reaction and ended up with drug induced Lupus and the Dr wanted me to continue taking it just to confirm it was that causing the reaction !

You have to question EVERYTHING ! Dr's make mistakes just like the rest of us !

On a side note , Resident evil 7 is a pretty great distraction from Sim racing and life issues also ....if you can take it , lol its a bit freaky ;)

Also , getting back into piano sounds like a brilliant idea .

Konan
08-07-2018, 14:11
DR make mistakes just like the rest of us !

Indeed...lost a younger sister myself through negligence...

BigDad
08-07-2018, 14:12

My condolences Mate ...

Shinzah
08-07-2018, 15:23

You might find some worth in a supplemental medication, it can't hurt to ask. If you're in a good place with the meds you have but you're still feeling "different" there could still be an imbalance that can be corrected by another medication. It's scary because the side effects of adding another medication could screw with your current brain balance, but the payoff is worth it.

Right now I'm on Buporion and Abilify, the Buporion doesn't do anything for me mentally except it has a side effect which drastically reduces my smoking cravings which reduces the amount of stimulants in my body which in turn reduces a significant amount of anxiety, but not all of it.

I'm planning on seeking a mild anti-depressant to supplement my doses with to help with some 'sluggishness' I've been feeling WRT my hobbies since I'm currently feeling like gaming and playing my instruments is a bit of a chore sometimes due to some depression stemming from my chronic illnesses.

Doctors aren't perfect. An Oncologist gave my buddy four years to live when he had cancer and he only made it two and a half months. I myself have struggled with chronic illness since I was a teenager but only got diagnosed in the last eight years (Suffering probably permanent bone and nerve damage as a result).

But if you feel off, then about the only thing you can do is ask a doctor about it so they can TRY to help you. Or struggle through it yourself. But I'd at least have some kind of counsellor or clinical psychologist if you want to struggle through things on your own because it's very difficult to do (From experience).

That's awful. I'm sorry for your loss.

Raklodder
08-07-2018, 15:26
We all need take a break from gaming every now and then, especially if we don't try new stuff (games) or chances are we'll get bored after a while.

Also it's hot as an oven outside, which makes everything so much harder and in my case, I can barley get up out of bed in time because of being fatigued.

Seelenkrank
08-07-2018, 15:38
its like getting your favorite meal 3 times a day over a long period of time.
you are getting hungry for something different sometimes :)
enjoy your time off from gaming and maybe when the winter comes... (?)

morpwr
08-07-2018, 16:35
Man , dont get me started no meds ! Two of my Brothers , my only Sister and my Dad are all dead because of Meds , wrong type , too much or just too scared to take em !

I've been recently hospitalised due to Dr's thinking (trying to help) (i'm the only person in Australia to have what i have) a certain drug would help but i had a allergic reaction and ended up with drug induced Lupus and the Dr wanted me to continue taking it just to confirm it was that causing the reaction !

You have to question EVERYTHING ! Dr's make mistakes just like the rest of us !

On a side note , Resident evil 7 is a pretty great distraction from Sim racing and life issues also ....if you can take it , lol its a bit freaky ;)

Also , getting back into piano sounds like a brilliant idea .

Unfortunately doctors are like mechanics. There are good ones and then there are ones that just throw stuff at it until they figure out what fixed it.

Konan
08-07-2018, 16:40
Thanks for the condoleances guys...really appreciated
Just wanted to aknowledge BigDad's point...

Tank621
08-07-2018, 16:48
Definitely always best to get a second opinion, or third

senna94f1
08-07-2018, 23:01
I agree with Shinzah (can't believe i just said that :p ) usually for me it's because i found other interesting things to do and don't have my mind on gaming...when i do start a game up after a while though i usually get hooked again.

Same here been busy with work plus depression doesn't help me as it likes too play around with my mind , on a serious note for last 5 weeks I've been off from racing even league racing ,it was that bad I came in last which is not like me,
So best advice is try and stay chilled and watch the footie or Netflix ,

Give it a month or 2 and your mojo will come back ,I said exactly the same , on the other side to coin we are spoilt for choice with racing games and especially pcar2 which is a great sim racer,

Or is it a case of too much of a good thing , kinda like stuffing your face with jam doughnuts everyday and sooner then later you will be sick and tired of them hahaha,
Hope your meds and depression improves buddy .