PDA

View Full Version : Best VR experience

ferkelparade
09-07-2018, 22:05
I just have to get this off my chest: PCars 2 in VR is a blast.

At the moment, I'm basically just doing the same race over and over again (6 laps Nordschleife, 20x time progression, 20x weather progression, 3 weather slots clear/overcast and 1 random weather slot for the occasional bit of heavy fog or light rain, in any car from the late 60s/early 70s I feel like driving at the moment), and it's an incredible experience. Everything looks so real and beautiful, and the immersion with a halfway decent playseat rig is immense - the feeling of driving under a starlit sky in the middle of the night, then suddenly hearing the race engineer telling me "we have some wet weather coming up" and having to look out for puddles in the darkness is absolutely great, and I really feel like I can feel the car moving around me just like I expect it to.

So today I tried that race with the good old 911 for the first time. With an unfamiliar car that seems to be a bit underpowered for its class, I was lagging behind the field and hopelessly falling behind on the first lap. Then I completely botched the exit from Brünnchen and ruined my poor Porsche's front suspension slamming into the guard rails. I was ready to rage quit and close the game, but then I took a deep breath, got up from my playseat while still wearing the Oculus headset (which sorta-kinda allows you to leave your car and look at it from the outside), just took in the view and had a smoke to calm down. A couple minutes later, I heard the deep rumbling of Mustang V8s in the distance, coming from somewhere down in the direction of Klostertal, with a bit of Nissan squealing mixed in. It felt like I could follow their sounds through every corner in the distance, and as they blazed past, their engine sound was positively deafening. When they sped off into the distance, again I felt like hearing every single turn and knowing exactly where each car was.

10/10, would play again. Positional audio in this game is absolutely stunning, especially considering we don't even notice most of the time because we can't even hear it over the sound of our own engine. Things like this really show the developers' dedication to detail.

BigDad
10-07-2018, 00:53
I remember the first time I stood up with my Rift still on , it was night in the rain at LeMans , I was in the GT3 RS and I stood behind it and was pretty amazed at the reflections and raindrops in the puddles . I think I stood there for about 2 laps as the Ai drive past , again loving their headlight reflections stretching along the wet track surface showing up in the puddles .
I started reving the engine to get backfires and the way it lit the area around was really nice .

Gregz0r
10-07-2018, 09:37
I literally only fire up the non-VR version, when I need to record a race replay. VR is SO awesome. It doesn’t make me any faster, but the immersion(and therefore, fun) factor is so great, I can’t play in ‘pancake’ mode anymore.

I wish we could cycle through the Spectator stands, when viewing replays in Trackside VR mode, instead of only being stuck to the one position at the start/finish.

Olijke Poffer
10-07-2018, 10:38
I literally only fire up the non-VR version, when I need to record a race replay. VR is SO awesome. It doesn’t make me any faster, but the immersion(and therefore, fun) factor is so great, I can’t play in ‘pancake’ mode anymore.

I wish we could cycle through the Spectator stands, when viewing replays in Trackside VR mode, instead of only being stuck to the one position at the start/finish.
Why can’t you record a session while in VR? I always do this.

SMS should take a look at the replay mode in R3E.. it would be a blast to have such mode in Pcars.

gregc
10-07-2018, 10:43

You can - use the +/- keys on the keyboard to move around the track.

BigDad
10-07-2018, 11:19

As already stated , use the + and - on the numpad to cycle through the fixed cameras in VR replays ! Its actually not bad .

BrainsBush
10-07-2018, 12:47
Indeed a lot of fun. And thanks to the AI for helping me passing them ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2IzAyovQ5o

Coolerking
10-07-2018, 12:56
Indeed a lot of fun. And thanks to the AI for helping me passing them ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2IzAyovQ5o

Austin Powers isn’t half bad is he?

Autobox
10-07-2018, 15:31
As Gregz0r says, My experience with the Oculus Rift means that I have never played PC2 in any other way. The immersion, the level of detail both inside and outside the car are amazing. I remember the first time I used them, being on the grid before starting and going down (leaving my car seat), standing next to the car and being able to contemplate both mine and the rest of the cars on the grid, the public at the steps and the landscape in general, and feel that everything was happening so vividly, I show them in the same way to every friend or family member who comes to visit me. It is simply incredible.
Maybe, (as an improvement) I would like that at some point you can see with a better resolution (1920x1080) but I understand that you can get to consume many PC resources. Surely they must be working on it.

Theruleslawyer
10-07-2018, 16:28
PC2 is what made me go hardcore no VR = no buy for racing games. I can't go back to a pancake after experiencing a well done VR title.

r200ti
10-07-2018, 17:39
I think its a given VR is a game changer in car sims. I only play in VR now (dirt rally i play on a tv coz it makes me sick in vr!). It really is how its meant to be played. Plus the free bonus it almost feels like your wearing a lid, especially in longer races when it starts to get hot/sweaty.

Its just a shame the resolution is so poor. And also the hardware requirement, im on a 1070 @ 2065mhz and it really struggles at relativly low detail settings. Wish nvidea would hurry up and release pascal mk2 and/or give us this price drop on the current Ti's!

g.stew
11-07-2018, 00:41
To add to what everyone else has said, I feel like PCars2 has the most complete VR experience. I haven't tried all the available racing games with VR, but so far with Dirt Rally, Assetto Corsa, and iRacing, it comes out way on top.

I start the game and that's it. Everything is there in VR, I can use my wheel to navigate the menus, and I can do pretty much anything I need to do without taking off the HMD or having to switch to my oculus home or something. Not to mention, my wheel is automatically detected and setup, and is totally configurable without needing a mouse or keyboard. Setups are maybe the only time I have to peek out from under my helmet to find my keyboard for the save name.

I switched to PC from xbox specifically for pcars2 in VR, but I figured I'd try out the other contenders with the steam sale. If I hadn't used PCars2 first, maybe it wouldn't have stood out, but it was such a great first experience. Obviously the others weren't designed for VR and had it added later which explains why they are like this, but it probably makes a difference to whether or not a new user is going to return it before they've played 2 hours.

Rodders
11-07-2018, 04:49
Yeah you can record race footage in VR from the track cams - here’s the proof (it was my first try and obviously needs some work) - https://youtu.be/hiiBElCUQT0

Gav88888
11-07-2018, 09:15
I switched to PC from xbox specifically for pcars2 in VR.

Yep I did the same, spent a fortune on a PC with Rift and a playtseat just to play PC2 in VR seems a bit crazy, but I was seriously fed up of using my Xbox One with all the issues that come with it and was considering a XB1X, but so glad I went PC, and I have to say I love it, despite the many bugs with the game but I always play PC2 over AC, R3E etc.

Looking forward to ACC as it looks a nice step up over AC, but not sure the longevity is there being Blancpain GT3 only and likely only 10-12 tracks... So PC2 will still be a staple for me I just wish some of the bugs would be fixed making it a better experience, but there is always hope with each new patch...

I haven't actually played any non VR games since getting VR.

Olijke Poffer
11-07-2018, 09:46
Yep I did the same, spent a fortune on a PC with Rift and a playtseat just to play PC2 in VR seems a bit crazy, but I was seriously fed up of using my Xbox One with all the issues that come with it and was considering a XB1X, but so glad I went PC, and I have to say I love it, despite the many bugs with the game but I always play PC2 over AC, R3E etc.

Looking forward to ACC as it looks a nice step up over AC, but not sure the longevity is there being Blancpain GT3 only and likely only 10-12 tracks... So PC2 will still be a staple for me I just wish some of the bugs would be fixed making it a better experience, but there is always hope with each new patch...

Same over here. A fortune spend to play Pcars in VR on the PC. I don’t play 2D games anymore. I’m spoiled..

BigDad
11-07-2018, 10:49

Join the club ! The money just keeps flooding out once you have the PC VR bug :p

Fight-Test
11-07-2018, 19:12
Join the club ! The money just keeps flooding out once you have the PC VR bug :p

You are right about the money but its worth it in every way. If this was a few years ago I might of went the much more expensive triple monitor route which would of really cost me. I have ventured out some lately on other sim titles and PC2 really holds up so well in VR in comparison. I actually wouldn't put it first but its almost even and with the ease of use and setup its most user friendly and really shines in different lighting and weather situations.

I can actually get better clarity and sharpness out of rf2 and iRacing but I think this is because they have simple graphics compared to PC2. Its kinda the opposite from what you would think. rf2 has zero texture shimmer which is amazing in itself and I'm able to just run for hours with no stress on the mind and eyes. Pcars 2 is right there with it with very little texture issues for me but I know some guys have alot of probs with it but it's smooth as silk and little issue for me. iRacing is the sharpest by far but gotta change these files https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMq_O_wQEc. You will think you are using new tech it makes is so clear but it does have more texture issues than Pcars2 and rf2. Fence flickers and some objects outside of track but its not bad. Its iRacing though and the only car I have even slightly enjoyed is the Porsche GTE which is fantastic but most feel like they have no tire feedback which makes the game pretty uninspiring to drive. This part of the sim is pretty bad but the tracks are amazing looking especially after you make those vr changes which will blow your mind on how clear it makes it (only in game, menus still look somewhat fuzzy).

Raceroom shouldn't be left out as it's really good, just struggling with lots of texture shimmer on fences. Might have to wait for the DX11 update or the switch to unreal engine before it's gone though. Its really just the track surroundings that have issues, no shimmer or flicker on cars or track but what does shimmer really wears on the eyes and mind after a while. The tracks and cars look really good though and and also has probably the best feeling of space in regard to car and track size and their relevance to each other. Great weight to the cars which helps the VR sensations as I find myself leaning halfway out my chair in corners.

Where PC2 is a difference maker is I don't have to use any outside 3rd party apps to have my telemetry and widgets in VR. It's really has a ease of use and setup with all the bells and whistles out of the box that makes Pcars such a nice and clean VR game especially as your first VR racing game which is was for me. I also must say that I have had to really unlearn some bad driving habits from PCars 2 in regard to the on track side especially when driving near the limit, trail braking and threshold inputs but that is a different story for another day.

Im not qualified to comment on AC accurately as I only played for about 20 hours and its just not for me but the VR did seem very good and well optimized. I had just got my Oculus so I sure it could be even better with some tinkering but the driving in AC in regard to modern race cars just wasn't realistic feeling for me. It had good fun factor though.

I'm sure alot of this is related to the hardware and settings also so we won't all agree so just take this as one guys opinion.

g.stew
11-07-2018, 20:31
The iracing sharpening settings are basically the same thing as the sharpening tool in this game. Same basic field names and everything. Makes a huge difference to clarity in pcars and in iracing.

If you haven't tried irFFB in iracing, it might make a difference to how it feels. It uses suspension telemetry for the FFB and makes a huge difference to how it feels.

If you haven't used the sharpening tool in pcars2, you should try that. It looks just as good as the sharpening in iracing to me.

cpcdem
11-07-2018, 21:46
iRacing is the sharpest by far but gotta change these files https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMq_O_wQEc.

I have never tried VR myself, but when i see videos like that I am always wondering, isn't it bothering you guys racing in VR with such low gfx quality that iRacing has? I mean isn't it very distracting seeing trees like that which are so fake visually, having textures of very low resolution, the general gfx quality, isn't it very immersion breaking?

It does not look good to me in a monitor, but anyway for me already the monitor itself is immersion breaking so I could probably cope with it, but when you use VR, and the whole world you see is just that, doesn't it make you feel really strange? Or is it that due to the low resolution of VR, you actually can't notice issues like that? And I am not talking only about iRacing, when I see videos also of rF2 I think the exact same thing again...

Olijke Poffer
11-07-2018, 21:51
I have never tried VR myself, but when i see videos like that I am always wondering, isn't it bothering you guys racing in VR with such low gfx quality that iRacing has? I mean isn't it very distracting seeing trees like that which are so fake visually, having textures of very low resolution, the general gfx quality, isn't it very immersion breaking?

It does not look good to me in a monitor, but anyway for me already the monitor itself is immersion breaking so I could probably cope with it, but when you use VR, and the whole world you see is just that, doesn't it make you feel really strange? Or is it that due to the low resolution of VR, you actually can't notice issues like that? And I am not talking only about iRacing, when I see videos also of rF2 I think the exact same thing again...

If you would have tried VR you would not wrote this post. :D
VR is freaking awesome and immersive. Of course would we love to see better GFX but you soon don’t notice the lower GFX anymore. It is so immersive. Every cockpit game should be played in VR. You only can unserstand this after you experienced this yourself..

cpcdem
11-07-2018, 21:55
If you would have tried VR you would not wrote this post. :D
VR is freaking awesome and immersive. Of course would we love to see better GFX but you soon don’t notice the lower GFX anymore. It is so immersive. Every cockpit game should be played in VR. You only can unserstand this after you experienced this yourself..

Maybe you misunderstood me, because for example for PCARS 2,or AC or RRE I have no doubts, the gfx in the screen version of those titles are from very good to good enough, so I have no doubts that they will be awesome in VR. But I can't see how I could enjoy what I currently see on screen in some other titles, if I had to watch it in VR...

MrTulip
11-07-2018, 21:55

No, the awe of actually "being there" overrides quite a lot low resolution textures and low polycount in the mind. I've played awfully lot ages old Richard Burns Rally in VR, and the immersion is not any less because of early 2000 graphics. :)

cpcdem
11-07-2018, 21:58
No, the awe of actually "being there" overrides quite a lot low resolution textures and low polycount in the mind. I've played awfully lot ages old Richard Burns Rally in VR, and the immersion is not any less because of early 2000 graphics. :)

Ah OK, thanks, I suspected it is probably something like that. Can't imagine how that works though, indeed need to feel it myself to understand it :)

Fight-Test
12-07-2018, 00:31
I have used the sharpening in pcars also and its fantastic along with xy fix in the files which helped the fuzziness a lot. Was a big help when it came out as I just couldn't get pcars clear enough for long stints. Those specific changes in the video to iRacing made a huge difference for me in sharpness much more than pcars but pcars started off better as iracing wasn't good outta box. I might need to try some more variables in pcars to see if I can get it better but I can read signs with no jaggies and completely clear up to 200 yards out. That I can't get in any of the other games but on the flip side it looks pretty basic in over all graphics in comparison to others while still having some texture flicker. I think the only reason that iracing can look as good as it does in VR compared to Pcars which is not in the ball park graphically is because of the hardware. It just caps them all at a point. VR has decreasing steps of clarity as you get further out. If you are at the 400 marker you can see 300 no prob, 200 is pretty fuzzy and you can half make it out and 100 is just a board and maybe you see a fuzzy blob on it where 100 will be as you get closer. Now imagine the next gen VR with the existing games, iracing will plateau quickly while Pcars would be just amazing I would imagine. The rich colors, shadows, quality of cars and weather would just make it so immersive. Right now this tech you have to battle not only which game I like the most in VR but which game I can also play comfortably for your eyes. With newer tech I'm sure we will be freed of that concern to a great extent.

I agree with Tulip that the immersion overrides the poor graphics. Iracing is weird though, the tracks are very nice with lots of details but the track surroundings seem to be less quality and sometimes real bland. The things that take me out of immersion are texture flickering which at first doesn't bother me but after having the head set on a while it starts to fatigue your eyes which can lead to you trying to focus to much and then its not a relaxing endeavor anymore. Pop ins can really draw your attention away but have always been fixable with some type of change to settings. Fuzziness was a issue with pcars at the start and it was tough for long sessions, they fixed this all the games seem to be pretty good at this now. Also rf2 and Raceroom do not have lock to horizon. So this didn't bother me in Raceroom but rf2 was impossible to drive. I found a fix though and its good now but that was big immersion killer. That is probably per user though. VR in all the games has a cryptic nature too them still but PCars would be my first recommendation to any new to VR or sim racing as it makes it very easy to do both with lots of intuitive options. It really helps to make you a VR believer for sim racing. I can't race without it now.

g.stew
12-07-2018, 01:08
Ah OK, thanks, I suspected it is probably something like that. Can't imagine how that works though, indeed need to feel it myself to understand it :)

You really do! I read the same comments from everyone but nothing really conveys how cool it is.

I keep having new experiences like driving in the rain, or coming around a corner and getting the sun in my eyes.

No matter what wheel and pedals you have, it will feel like the car you are driving. I even took off my headset once to see my wheel mount had shifted sideways, but I had no clue because it looked and felt normal in game.

Every single time I get in a car I spend minutes looking all around me, reading the guages and button labels, reading the part numbers on the equipment, etc.

Any time I crash, I spend a few minutes looking at everything around me. Once I ran out of gas on vintage Le mans right before the last chicane next to the crowd. I stood up from the car to start looking around the spectators and smashed straight into my dresser trying to walk around.

Atak Kat
12-07-2018, 05:27
TL/DR: opinion: it's a fantastic technology and you can really see it's potential. But it's still early, and probably better to wait for another generation. Depending on you disposable income, or situation, of course.

Where I live there is a place you can go to do VR racing in PC2. They use Rseat rigs, Fanatec all around, a motion rig (not sure which one, but it's the one that mounts undertake rig sorta like a pedestal), and HTC Vive. 2 identical systems, so you can either race on your own, or head-to-head with the other person. The guys are pretty good and will let you choose almost anything in the game (car, track, weather, AI strength and number, etc, etc). I've gone twice now, and each time did about 3 races (5 min longish)
- personally, I really hated the motion rig. It felt more like something just shaking you around than 'motion' simulation. I would even call it awful and distracting. There was not a proper correlation of the rig movement with the game. It might be just setup incorrectly, but what I tried was complete nonsense, considering those things are hugely expensive. The 2nd time I went, I asked them to turn off the seat movement, which they did. I found the entire experience so much more enjoyable and fun after it was turned off.
- yes, the graphics is the first thing you notice. But it quickly becomes less important as you go on.
- Personally, I got pretty hot and sweaty pretty fast. Longer sessions I don't know how people deal with that. Fans?
- I was getting pretty queasy at the end of the 5 min sessions. But I think this was mostly due to the poor motion rig. The later sessions without motion rig were much better.
- Although it's quite impressive, my experience actually convinced me NOT to buy it. I may change my mind eventually, but for now I'm convinced it's better to wait for another generation or step in the technology (whether it's the headsets, or the graphics card power, or whatever).

Side story, I found a very cheap used PSVR on local buy/sell sight (typical gift/used-once sort of ad) and bought that instead. It's a step lower quality I guess, but not so much. We have had a MOUNTAIN of fun with it on PSVR. Even the GTS VR racing is enough to satisfy those cravings every now and then (I wish the grid size was larger than 2, but ok). I hear it can somehow be setup with PC as well, so will try that in the coming months (someday).

snakehands
12-07-2018, 05:32
The resolution really isn’t that bad in VR, only the group think says it is.

BigDad
12-07-2018, 07:20
VR suck don't do it :p

Olijke Poffer
12-07-2018, 07:24
To be honest, the PSVR has a better view than the Rift. The screendoor effect is almost not noticeable with the PSVR.
It also is more comfortable than the Rift. If Sony would develope a PC version of PSVR I would buy it.
Nevertheless I have a great time with the Rift. Yesterday I played Moss again a nice 3D platform game with a mouse. With this kind of games you also know, 2D is old fashion. The moment you start the game you will be transferred from your room into the gameworld. You look at a kind of a maquette and steer your little mouse through the levels. You can peak behind corners, barrels etc etc. It is really my kind of gaming. VR rules big time.

http://youtu.be/28vBtAAs0II

BigDad
12-07-2018, 12:06
To be honest, the PSVR has a better view than the Rift. The screendoor effect is almost not noticeable with the PSVR.
It also is more comfortable than the Rift. If Sony would develope a PC version of PSVR I would buy it.
Nevertheless I have a great time with the Rift. Yesterday I played Moss again a nice 3D platform game with a mouse. With this kind of games you also know, 2D is old fashion. The moment you start the game you will be transferred from your room into the gameworld. You look at a kind of a maquette and steer your little mouse through the levels. You can peak behind corners, barrels etc etc. It is really my kind of gaming. VR rules big time.

http://youtu.be/28vBtAAs0II

Is it like the free Game we got with our Rifts , Lucky's tale ?

Olijke Poffer
12-07-2018, 13:00
Is it like the free Game we got with our Rifts , Lucky's tale ?

Yes a sort of indeed. I really like it. The atmosphere and music etc..

Atak Kat
12-07-2018, 19:23
Nevertheless I have a great time with the Rift. Yesterday I played Moss again a nice 3D platform game with a mouse.

Yes, I forgot that. PSVR is really impressive for the way they minimize the screen door effect. Also, much more comfortable with their head mounting system. Completely agree.

I've heard that Moss is a for-sure buy.... haven't tried it, but surely it will be added to the library soon.

TorTorden
12-07-2018, 20:00
Yes, I forgot that. PSVR is really impressive for the way they minimize the screen door effect. Also, much more comfortable with their head mounting system. Completely agree.

I've heard that Moss is a for-sure buy.... haven't tried it, but surely it will be added to the library soon.

It's not that they minimize screen door.
Although Sony knows optics, from. either their professional cameras or projectors.

It's just that the Vive and rift both picked Pentile screens meaning there really only is full resolution available to the green pixels.
So we get something like.

RG|BG|RG
BG|RG|BG
vs
RGB|RGB|RGB
RGB|RGB|RGB

There is no doubt in my mind, the PQ in the rift or vive would have been massively improved if they had picked full sub pixel screens.

Theruleslawyer
12-07-2018, 20:45
Well there is always the pimax set if you really really want resolution. Wonder if its any good?

Gregz0r
12-07-2018, 21:59
As already stated , use the + and - on the numpad to cycle through the fixed cameras in VR replays ! Its actually not bad .

What? You mean cycling through the static trackside cameras? I never knew that was even an option!
Cool!

EDIT: Who knew? (well I didn't!:rolleyes:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NYaFkTpuAY&feature=youtu.be

Olijke Poffer
12-07-2018, 22:01
Yeah I like to know as well. And if my system could handle such high res VR..

satco1066
13-07-2018, 13:38
Yeah I like to know as well. And if my system could handle such high res VR..

8700k + 1080ti is currently on the high end side of game PCs.
So i think it should work with VR ;)

Olijke Poffer
13-07-2018, 13:48
8700k + 1080ti is currently on the high end side of game PCs.
So i think it should work with VR ;)

Current VR yes indeed. But 2nd generation I don’t know.. I bought this system specially for Pcars and VR.. lol.

Theruleslawyer
13-07-2018, 14:13
Current VR yes indeed. But 2nd generation I don’t know.. I bought this system specially for Pcars and VR.. lol.

I'm betting on requirements going down. The barrier to entry is pretty high for VR still and lowering it to make mass market adoption possible will be one of the big pushes. Especially for next gen consoles, which I suspect will coincide with real gen2 VR. Hopefully they will have foveated rendering working by then which should make 4k resolution easy to handle and push down current resolutions to mobile levels of performance. (Oculus go uses fixed foveated rendering BTW)

r200ti
14-07-2018, 17:01
Same over here. A fortune spend to play Pcars in VR on the PC. I don’t play 2D games anymore. I’m spoiled..

When people talk cost, something to bare in mind is the cost of actually going out and hammering a car around a track.
A full VR rig with seat, wheel etc is little more than the cost of a single trackday in something quick......

Ultimately, i think we get an awful lot for our money. Yes it may be 'expensive', but the entertainment/cost ratio is on the large side.

Olijke Poffer
14-07-2018, 17:17
When people talk cost, something to bare in mind is the cost of actually going out and hammering a car around a track.
A full VR rig with seat, wheel etc is little more than the cost of a single trackday in something quick......

Ultimately, i think we get an awful lot for our money. Yes it may be 'expensive', but the entertainment/cost ratio is on the large side.

Of course and I’m very pleased with my bought gear. Everytime I put on my VR I have a smile from ear to ear despite the lower GFX.. it is such a good spend of my money.. :applause:

bgil66
14-07-2018, 23:58
At Indy for the first time in game and watching and hearing my competition running by, amazing!

BigDad
15-07-2018, 04:09
Of course and I’m very pleased with my bought gear. Everytime I put on my VR I have a smile from ear to ear despite the lower GFX.. it is such a good spend of my money.. :applause:

So good in fact I will be getting every version till it's like looking at a 4k screen now !

Olijke Poffer
15-07-2018, 07:24
So good in fact I will be getting every version till it's like looking at a 4k screen now !
If I have the money for it, yeah m2.

TorTorden
27-07-2018, 03:06

And granted we are racing centric here, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who does other things as well with these rigs of ours.
If you want I couldn't recommend wnough getting a hotas and rudder pedals as well and try your hand at some flight.

Personally for the first time gotten heavily into DCS, with the Huey, and a unarmed, freebie, TF-51d (Mustang).
Also bought a viggen, right now on sale for $25.
I could possibly get into a track day of some sort, or just rent a car to have a go around Nurburgring but there is no way I'm getting near a fighter jet.
In vr I can.

Ugh, update:
Meant of course to say I couldn't recommend a hotas enough.