PDA

View Full Version : Car felt completely different after losing connection and rejoining lobby

FxUK
18-07-2018, 14:57
This was an odd one, not sure what went on really, but it felt like I was using a completely different setup.

So, was in an RWB lobby in an Indy Car on Monza. I don't really do setups, aside from fuel, but lately I always check, adjust and load the setup before hitting the track. Anyway the car felt fairly loose on the rear, but overall quite nice and I managed to get a decent lap time (can't recall actual times) in qualifying.

1/2 way around another lap I got a "You have been disconnected" and returned to the main menu, not sure what happened (temporary glitch with internet?) but my connection was ok and I immediately rejoined the lobby. Same again, checked setup, loaded and hit the track.

However, now the FFB was 50% heavier (so it seemed) the back end wasn't so loose, the car felt welded to the road.
The gear ratios seemed way off, compared with previously and I couldn't get anywhere near my previous time... I was so much slower.

Over the last week, I have been doing terrible on a whole... at first, I thought that perhaps it was because I took a short break from the game, but I am now wondering if something else is going on too, maybe a mix of both.

Sometimes I can do really well in qualifying, then, with the same conditions (temps, weather etc) I instantly seem to fall back by (roughly) 3-5 seconds difference per lap, sometimes... and the FFB can feel dramatically different, when this happens, too.

Not all the time mind you, I do have a habit of losing it and going for a short picnic on the grass :)

I saw a thread a while back about 'feeling between sessions' and wonder if its still a thing or what could be causing it?
Could "-pthreads 4" launch command be related? I'm going to take it off and try, of course.

At the end of the day, it mostly, might just be me, but last night it was an unmistakable difference, in the same session, still in qualifying, with the same players and the same setup. Something certainly went wrong somewhere, that one I'm sure about.

cpcdem
18-07-2018, 15:08
Maybe -pthreads 4 is still a thing, give it a try if you are not using it. Also check your wheel, last time I was doing very badly it was because my wheel was giving from time to time input to gas and or brake without me touching the pedal, fixed it by putting some WD40 into the pots. And make sure you do not have some other CPU/memory hungry app (like an antivirus or some tool) running at the same time in your PC, might be causing the CPU/in game physics to suffer.

Mahjik
18-07-2018, 15:13
Unfortunately, it's hard to judge without telemetry (before and after). What you experienced may be a real thing, but it's hard to diagnose without data.

FWIW, the pthreads should have no issue with that workflow.

FxUK
18-07-2018, 15:24
Unfortunately, it's hard to judge without telemetry (before and after). What you experienced may be a real thing, but it's hard to diagnose without data.

FWIW, the pthreads should have no issue with that workflow.

That's a good call, sadly I need to stop fiddling around with things :(
I seem to have turned off the telemetry tracking of Simxperience on 10th May... probably testing things like the small lag spikes and forgot to put it back on.. now to turn it back on for next time :)

I do think its something my end (or me) and not the game as such, since it was perfectly fine previously...

MrTulip
18-07-2018, 15:24
Gear ratios been off I've still seen between sessions for me at least once post patch6, so the cursed setup bug may still be lurking. This was me testing lots of different cars and setups in a row. Reloading the setup fixed it, as usual.

MrTulip
19-07-2018, 17:38
I had a gear ratios setup bug today in GT4 Career manufacturers Proving Grounds race with Ford GTE.

I made a setup from the basic Loose setup, lengthened the final gear ratio two clicks to 3.5xx then went to race. After a restart of the race the setup showed final ratio 3.2xx, which should not be possible as the longest allowed allowed ratio is 3.5xx. I then set the ratio to 3.7xx, started and again restarted the race, and the final gear ratio had changed to 3.5xx.

Then I restarted the game and checked that the bug persists. I saved the setting once more and directly exited the event. I cannot remember whether I had 3.7xx or 3.5xx in the setup at that point as the default (one or other). After entering the event again the gears showed me this:

I'm not sure if this was just visual or whether the setup is indeed broken at that point. I'll test that later. At least it seemed to be reproducible.

I also think that once during all this there was the default loose setup loaded in the race menu as the default instead of my own. However, when I went to switch it, the garage view suddenly said it was my own setup, which I again confirmed by checking various settings on different setup pages (and yes, that gear ratio had again switched to a longer one, everything else was normal).

poirqc
19-07-2018, 19:02
Maybe its the auto tune FFB tool calibrating itself in the first few laps?

FxUK
19-07-2018, 19:08
Maybe its the auto tune FFB tool calibrating itself in the first few laps?

I am currently using raw, I don't think FFB calibrates for that. Plus, there was a change to the gear ratios, I am 100% certain of that.
I suspect it being an obscure setup bug, for that particular instance at least.

I had a few races last night and things seemed okay, but soon realised simxperience's telemetry wasn't what I was looking for, so will be continuing to monitor with Pcars profile from tonight onward. I also removed the pthreads -4 launch parameter, just in case, not sure if it made any difference to be honest, time will tell :)

Edit: Actually, I might delete my setups (only fuel usually) and controller config, that seemed to help in the past too.

cpcdem
19-07-2018, 19:20
I'm not sure if this was just visual or whether the setup is indeed broken at that point. I'll test that later. At least it seemed to be reproducible.

I also think that once during all this there was the default loose setup loaded in the race menu as the default instead of my own. However, when I went to switch it, the garage view suddenly said it was my own setup, which I again confirmed by checking various settings on different setup pages (and yes, that gear ratio had again switched to a longer one, everything else was normal).

Yeah, I am also seeing that from time to time. Solution is to exit completely the setup screen, go to setups again and now it's ok.

MrTulip
20-07-2018, 18:14
I did testing today with Quick Race at Brno with following cars:

Ford GTE
Ferrari GTE
Porsche GTE
Porsche GTP (just to see whether the problem is just GTE)

1. I loaded the loose setup manually
2. Changed the final ratio to longest (smallest number and clicked couple of times extra, not sure if this is important)
3. Saved the setup as a new global setup, named 'Loose bugtest'
4. Exited the Quick Race to main menu
5. Entered the Quick Race again
6. Went directly to setup and checked the final ratio

In all cases except Porsche GTE the final ratio value was something else than the saved value.

Porsche GTE has only one final ratio setting, but even that showed wrong final gear ratio immediately I had saved the setup once and went back to look at it. However that one was correct after a complete Quick Race reload, so it is less likely to have issues.

In addition to this I saw once how Ford GTE setup was not loaded properly into race, when I had not loaded the setup manually first in the start of the race.
In my own setup I had changed final ratio, 4th, 5th and 6th gear ratios, lowered downforce, brake ducts to 15 and 10 and engine duct to 50% to reach 300 km/h at LeMans. I simply didn't manage even 280 to 290 km/h in the draft and AI ate me alive exactly like it did before I had started changing the setup. I assume that the default loose setup got loaded instead of my own setup.

I also saw that sometimes the correct values were restored after simply going out of edit mode and back to setup as cpcdem suggested, but during the testing they were not. I cannot say what caused this difference.

Notable thing was that not with all tested cars the spawned wrong final gear ratio was longer than the saved original. Some had it shorter. Also with Ford GTE it seems that at least the shortest final gear ratio does not bug, but at least two longest ones do. These things might indicate a matching parameter bug (incorrect values) in setup files compared to specific car files. I've understood that they are placeholders in other and not direct values.

MJP
21-07-2018, 09:08
I've posted about this before but I can't help feeling that the 'phantom ratio' problem could be the cause of this. Many cars that have multiple final drive ratios have 1 or more ratios that don't actually give the expected speeds. GTE class is a prime example, the Aston, Chevy, Ferrari and Ford all have one final drive ratio that doesn't do what it should.