PDA

View Full Version : Strong FFB oscillations G29

Pollynuts
02-08-2018, 00:54
Hey there, I'm struggling with strong FFB oscillations under certain conditions.

Inputs:

G29, calibrated at 100/870, steering deadzone at 0.
Default FFB settings: informative 100/50/50/50.

Repro steps:

Audi event 3 in career's manufacturer drives. Practice, qualifying and race (R18 '14, Spa, foggy/rainy/overcast conditions, 5/29/2018).
Rather sudden, strong oscillations in middle/end of Kemmel straight, Pouhon exit, right kink before Blanchimont.

Screenshots from telemetry view with oscillations visible on the graph: imgur.com/a/Mah3WOM (can't post a proper link... spam protection). The first image caught the start of the oscillations. Consistent, quick, strong oscillations in the last image. Some variety of shapes in the other 2 screenshots.

My observations:

This does NOT happen in private practice (same weather/date/time). Is this related to other cars on the track?
I believe small bumps are present in the above-mentioned spots on the track. Turning down FX all the way to 0 does not make the oscillations go away.
Switching FFB flavors doesn't help. Raw flavor seems to make the oscillations violent.
Setting steering deadzone doesn't help.
Oscillations go away only if I set gain to 0. They are present with gain 40 and 20, however they seem to occur less often.

This does not look good, the event is unplayable for me. Is this a known issue? Any hope for a patch? Anyone else experiencing this?

Pollynuts
02-08-2018, 03:39
Update: the above also happens to 919, R18 ('16 LM) and M6 GTLM. Custom event practice, Spa, default date, clear weather.

Not getting this at Monza or Imola. This looks like a Spa issue then?

ShneebnaMRR108
02-08-2018, 05:11
Absolutely related to how many cars on track.
G920/29 with 12 cars on track will freak out with the FFB settings you're using.

Zaskarspants
02-08-2018, 10:38
G920/29 with 12 cars on track will freak out with the FFB settings you're using.

I dont have a ps4 but I thought that this is an xbox og and s issue that does not occur on the ps4.

Pollynuts
02-08-2018, 20:36
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. It doesn't happen at other tracks, i.e Monza. Don't think it happened prior to patch 6 either.

Default FFB settings are perfectly fine and G29 should not freak out with them. Informative/immersive flavors have an auto-tune, FFB output gets automatically adjusted to prevent clipping. So you're constantly running at the maximum possible settings, no matter the track/car. This is one of the most beloved features in the game.

Juiced46
02-08-2018, 23:20
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. It doesn't happen at other tracks, i.e Monza. Don't think it happened prior to patch 6 either.

Default FFB settings are perfectly fine and G29 should not freak out with them. Informative/immersive flavors have an auto-tune, FFB output gets automatically adjusted to prevent clipping. So you're constantly running at the maximum possible settings, no matter the track/car. This is one of the most beloved features in the game.

What he is trying to say is. On OG Xbox and Xbox One S but not the X, they have similar issues. If there are too many AI on the track, you will get strong wheel shake depending on if the cars are grouped close together or some other scenarios. Which is why it does not happen in Private practice because there are no cars on the track.

Quick way to tell if its AI. Use the same car and track but in CUSTOM race. Start with a FUll 32 car grid. See if the shake is there. If it is. Drop it down to 16 and repeat and go lower and see if it eventually goes away. If it does (which it should) it is due to too many AI on the track. Not sure if this is a PS4 issue like the Xbox but that is what the Xbox guys are dealing with.

Pollynuts
03-08-2018, 14:59
What he is trying to say is. On OG Xbox and Xbox One S but not the X, they have similar issues. If there are too many AI on the track, you will get strong wheel shake depending on if the cars are grouped close together or some other scenarios. Which is why it does not happen in Private practice because there are no cars on the track.

Quick way to tell if its AI. Use the same car and track but in CUSTOM race. Start with a FUll 32 car grid. See if the shake is there. If it is. Drop it down to 16 and repeat and go lower and see if it eventually goes away. If it does (which it should) it is due to too many AI on the track. Not sure if this is a PS4 issue like the Xbox but that is what the Xbox guys are dealing with.

Thank you for explaining this. Lowered the amount of AI to 5 and... the oscillations are gone, been doing perfectly fine for 10 laps. Worth noting that the car feels a lot more stable and predictable. Also, the FPS drop with more AI on the track is quite noticeable.

Am upset... 32 cars is too much to cope with on ps4? I can't lower AI number in career, so it's out of the picture for me now, guh? I thought one of the advantages of consoles is that every ps4 has the same hardware, so performance related settings are predefined and tested to run smoothly. So you never need to bother figuring out what works for you.

If it's too much to cope with on certain consoles, why not lower the predefined graphics settings? Would very much prefer stable physics and larger grids over higher resolution textures.

ShneebnaMRR108
03-08-2018, 16:16
Thanks to Juiced 46 for the detailed explanation. Glad you understand it better now. One last thing to mention is that in any Flavor used, adding FX will boost a lot of the FFB effects in general, so having the FX set at 50 will boost more than you might think.

Every car/track combo is going to be different, as it should be, so you'll have to experiment with all the combo's to see what works for you.

Yeah, too bad about Career for consoles, with fixed 32 cars, it pretty much kills it for a number of us, but not for some others. (another oddity) Strange, sense Custom Race can be adjusted, but Career can not. I'm mean, it's your Career, why can't you set it up the way you want. And even if it was adjustable, you might just be driving towards a potential deletion somewhere down the road.

Pollynuts
03-08-2018, 16:28
Thanks to Juiced 46 for the detailed explanation. Glad you understand it better now. One last thing to mention is that in any Flavor used, adding FX will boost a lot of the FFB effects in general, so having the FX set at 50 will boost more than you might think.

Every car/track combo is going to be different, as it should be, so you'll have to experiment with all the combo's to see what works for you.

Yeah, too bad about Career for consoles, with fixed 32 cars, it pretty much kills it for a number of us, but not for some others. (another oddity) Strange, sense Custom Race can be adjusted, but Career can not. I'm mean, it's your Career, why can't you set it up the way you want. And even if it was adjustable, you might just be driving towards a potential deletion somewhere down the road.

Narrowing down the number of AI is just a workaround for custom races, not a fix, isn't it? It's not okay that this Audi event is virtually unplayable. That said, I'd better hope for a patch and an actual fix. If the game puts 32 cars on the track and doesn't let me adjust it, the game gotta handle it or what am I missing?

hasslemoff
03-08-2018, 17:01
Have you tried altering the graphic options.
I turned most of them off and seem to not have a problem now with large grids nowon the ps4.

Pollynuts
04-08-2018, 14:20
Have you tried altering the graphic options.
I turned most of them off and seem to not have a problem now with large grids nowon the ps4.

Good idea, tried it out. Seems to make little to no difference for me :( Oscillations are very pronounced with every visual FX option off.

hasslemoff
04-08-2018, 19:29
Good idea, tried it out. Seems to make little to no difference for me :( Oscillations are very pronounced with every visual FX option off.

Sorry to hear it didn't help, sounds like and looks like the same issue as this thread http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?63714-PS4-Horrible-steering-wheel-shake-after-update-and-Spirit-of-Le-Mans-pack

I posted a couple of vids with the telemetry showing the shake, doesn't look as violant as your pictures but my fb settings are really low.

Boniface-8
05-08-2018, 22:15
I had this today for the first time. Thought my wheel had broken. Doing some playing about found it to only happen with a high number of AI opponents. Had a 32 car grid and it was shaking itself to bits.

Logitech g29
Raw
100/38/38/4