PDA

View Full Version : Imola

Baltha27
11-08-2018, 19:35
Soo what is the trick to get a great laptime at imola beside practice practice?

Stewy32
11-08-2018, 19:44
Really attack the first half of the lap.Make sure you don't run wide at the penultimate corner.Finding the quickest route through the chicane.

Vic Flange
12-08-2018, 08:00
Imola doesn’t have many fast corners so it is all about the exit of those slow corners. Brake early, wide approach and get the power down as soon as possible.

cat power 85
12-08-2018, 09:05
Practice but change settings slightly to how you drive and write down your lap times

Silraed
12-08-2018, 09:44
A car that can ride the kerbs is useful around Imola, other than that it's just like Vic Flange said and focus on your corner exits.

hkraft300
12-08-2018, 15:39
A car that can ride the kerbs is useful around Imola, other than that it's just like Vic Flange said and focus on your corner exits.

I thought so, and softened springs and shocks.
My lap times actually improved when I went slightly stiffer than default. Still was OK (not completely benign) on curbs but it controlled the transitions better.

Silraed
13-08-2018, 03:29
Imola is a track of compromise really. I would say the more comfortable you are with the car over the kerbs the more you can attack the track to begin with, but as you get more comfortable in the track itself you can look for the pace in other areas.

RacingAtHome
13-08-2018, 04:59
It very much depends on your car like all tracks. In GT3s, I find that the kerbs are pretty deadly. Especially on the final apex at Tamburello. In low ride height cars, avoid using the extra track on the exit of the chicane after that as well. It will be fine in GTs but not in IndyCars and LMP2s for example.

I struggle at the hairpin of Tosa though so I'll let somebody else advise you on that.

In high downforce cars, you can throw the car into Piratella (the fast left hander after the short straight after the hairpin) and it will stick.

With the final 2 corners, focus on the exit of that. It's a pretty long straight after they've removed the chicane so speed onto that will be essential.

On kerbs as a general rule, avoid the ones at the chicane too hard. They'll cause your car to raise off the ground briefly of you'll lose control on it.

Atak Kat
13-08-2018, 07:29
Some things that might be helpful on this track as well (perhaps more for beginners or intermediates still learning the track).
- going into Variante Villeneuve (the left/right before the hairpin Tosa) you can take the first left-hander much faster than you might think. You do need to slow a bit, but I found you can really go through it very fast, and then get on the brakes for the right hander immediately after. You can make a lot of lap time here if you get it right.
- same thing going into Acque Minerali (the two right handers just before you go up the hill and into the chicane Variante Alta on the back section). You can go through the first right hander much faster than you might think, and then immediately onto the brakes for the second right-hander to go up the hill).

Maybe obvious to the more advanced drivers, but I found these two sections can make a huge difference to laptimes at Imola, if you can get it right.

I don't really pay too much attention to the curbs at Imola. I don't think I really avoid or hit any intentionally. But for sure that last corner exit is critical to get good speed carrying onto the long front straight.

Gav88888
13-08-2018, 14:22
TT practice racing someone 1sec faster than you and learn the track, as in braking points etc and how to setup the car. Then once you can beat the guy select the next guy 1sec quicker and repeat.

Schnizz58
13-08-2018, 16:35
Some things that might be helpful on this track as well (perhaps more for beginners or intermediates still learning the track).
- going into Variante Villeneuve (the left/right before the hairpin Tosa) you can take the first left-hander much faster than you might think. You do need to slow a bit, but I found you can really go through it very fast, and then get on the brakes for the right hander immediately after. You can make a lot of lap time here if you get it right.
- same thing going into Acque Minerali (the two right handers just before you go up the hill and into the chicane Variante Alta on the back section). You can go through the first right hander much faster than you might think, and then immediately onto the brakes for the second right-hander to go up the hill).

Maybe obvious to the more advanced drivers, but I found these two sections can make a huge difference to laptimes at Imola, if you can get it right.
I was coming here to post the exact same things. re: the Villeneuve chicane, it's easy to run wide on the second part (the right hander) so if you take the first part fast, you really need to get on the brakes before the second part.

I don't really pay too much attention to the curbs at Imola. I don't think I really avoid or hit any intentionally. But for sure that last corner exit is critical to get good speed carrying onto the long front straight.
This too - this is another spot where it's really easy to run wide and ruin your exit. I never noticed the curbs being any worse than anywhere else. Some corners have big sausage curbs (Variante alta in particular) and you definitely want to avoid those. Also you don't want to run wide on the last two corners because the gravel is just on the other side of the curbs.

The hardest corner for me is the downhill left hander before Acque Minerali. It's very understeery as it falls away from you. Do your braking before you turn in and be patient to get back on the gas.