PDA

View Full Version : Formula C - What the...

venquessa
15-08-2018, 18:37
I'm baffled. The car is untameable.

The first race at Brno the first practice season the tyres don't warm up so it's like driving on ice. So I moved to qualy and then the race and tried both the default loose and default stable.

I get understeer everywhere which suddenly switches to oversteer for no apparently reason. One minute I patiently waiting on the front end coming in, then suddenly I'm swinging in a full half turn of oppo, then it snaps back and if I catch it, it understeers again.

I gave up at Brno and moved to Donington, here the car behaved better, but I kept getting random oversteer. Sometimes it's on corner exit and could arguable be put down to throttle control, but more often it's just randomly in the middle of a corner on neutral or no throttle.

I started to lose my temper with it and started softening the rear end up on the anti-roll bars and springs, adding stacks of rear downforce. I could see that understeer was developing, as expected, but STILL the sudden unexplained oversteer. I then tried the same with the dampers, stiffening the front, softening the rear and still more understeer, but STILL sudden oversteer everywhere.

The last thing I tried was completely bottoming the rear spring and roll bar and completely stiffening the front, and offset the dampers even more. Car understeered everywhere... and... you knew it was coming, threw me clean off the road at the first corner with... you guessed it snap oversteer.

I just can't figure it out, it's beast and while I can, with a less dubious set up manage to hold the AI at bay at 100% difficulty for a lap, maybe two, the car is so unstable I just cannot hold that pace without eventually sucumbing to a burst of oversteer that spins me round with no way to catch it. Examples would be oversteer in the left part of the 3rd gear chicane on the back straight. Oversteer there is not catchable, round you go.

Has anyone got a working setup? I point blank refuse to use wet tyres which seems to be the fix. If it gets that bad, I'll just retire out of the season and never return to this car.

EDIT: I'm not adverse to oversteer if the car is balanced. I just completed the two Geneta GT5 championships at 100% with the defalut loose setup, I even ADDED oversteer with anti-rollbar, loved that car, you could control the rotation so accurately and fly through corners, leaving the AI for dust. The FC car is not balanced at all, it's snappy and unstable.

Maskmagog
15-08-2018, 19:07
There was an issue where Slicks and Sports tires seemed switched around. Might still be the case, so try the Sports tires.

venquessa
15-08-2018, 19:49
There was an issue where Slicks and Sports tires seemed switched around. Might still be the case, so try the Sports tires.

Thanks, but no. I tried them. Clearly less grip, very noticable in braking and the wheel spin off the line. Handling seemed a tiny bit better though.

I'm giving up, going to retire out of the championship and avoid the car in future.

You can't get in the grove with all the cars I suppose. Although I think something is fundamentally broken with this car.

sloppysmusic
17-08-2018, 12:25
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?62938-Sloppy-s-Fast-Stable-and-Fun-Career-Tunes-(G29)&p=1510922&viewfull=1#post1510922

Seriously, use wets on rear and slicks on front. It's that messed up it actually drives fine then! (albeit slower than AI so you will need to lower that setting to have a fair race).

This and next race at Donington are weird...then goes back to normal pretty well..

Vic Flange
20-08-2018, 07:28
Have you tried loading some of the setups from the fastest times in Time Trial ? I have done that a couple of times with cars I am struggling with and then tweaked them to my preference.

venquessa
22-08-2018, 10:05
Have you tried loading some of the setups from the fastest times in Time Trial ? I have done that a couple of times with cars I am struggling with and then tweaked them to my preference.

Are the time trial leader boards reset for each patch? I tried one setup for the fastest time, even followed the ghost, but there was no way I could even stay with him in turn one at Donnington as my tail end came round while he just drove off. I tried repeatedly, same thing. My car was undrivable while his appeared to be on rails.

So it's either driving technique (though following the ghost as his line should minimise that a bit), something external to setup, or tyre model changes at work.

awaite85
23-08-2018, 21:31
I'm baffled. The car is untameable.

The first race at Brno the first practice season the tyres don't warm up so it's like driving on ice. So I moved to qualy and then the race and tried both the default loose and default stable.

I get understeer everywhere which suddenly switches to oversteer for no apparently reason. One minute I patiently waiting on the front end coming in, then suddenly I'm swinging in a full half turn of oppo, then it snaps back and if I catch it, it understeers again.

I gave up at Brno and moved to Donington, here the car behaved better, but I kept getting random oversteer. Sometimes it's on corner exit and could arguable be put down to throttle control, but more often it's just randomly in the middle of a corner on neutral or no throttle.

I started to lose my temper with it and started softening the rear end up on the anti-roll bars and springs, adding stacks of rear downforce. I could see that understeer was developing, as expected, but STILL the sudden unexplained oversteer. I then tried the same with the dampers, stiffening the front, softening the rear and still more understeer, but STILL sudden oversteer everywhere.

The last thing I tried was completely bottoming the rear spring and roll bar and completely stiffening the front, and offset the dampers even more. Car understeered everywhere... and... you knew it was coming, threw me clean off the road at the first corner with... you guessed it snap oversteer.

I just can't figure it out, it's beast and while I can, with a less dubious set up manage to hold the AI at bay at 100% difficulty for a lap, maybe two, the car is so unstable I just cannot hold that pace without eventually sucumbing to a burst of oversteer that spins me round with no way to catch it. Examples would be oversteer in the left part of the 3rd gear chicane on the back straight. Oversteer there is not catchable, round you go.

Has anyone got a working setup? I point blank refuse to use wet tyres which seems to be the fix. If it gets that bad, I'll just retire out of the season and never return to this car.

EDIT: I'm not adverse to oversteer if the car is balanced. I just completed the two Geneta GT5 championships at 100% with the defalut loose setup, I even ADDED oversteer with anti-rollbar, loved that car, you could control the rotation so accurately and fly through corners, leaving the AI for dust. The FC car is not balanced at all, it's snappy and unstable.

Gotta go above and beyond the default setups broham.

hkraft300
23-08-2018, 23:17

Do the opposite.
Stiffer rear. Less rear wing. Higher rear ride height. Make sure the car is not scraping/ bottoming out.
A little rake. And stay off the bump stops.

g.stew
24-08-2018, 01:11
Are the time trial leader boards reset for each patch? I tried one setup for the fastest time, even followed the ghost, but there was no way I could even stay with him in turn one at Donnington as my tail end came round while he just drove off. I tried repeatedly, same thing. My car was undrivable while his appeared to be on rails.

So it's either driving technique (though following the ghost as his line should minimise that a bit), something external to setup, or tyre model changes at work.

Check a more recent time (https://pcars.13ms.de/#/times/354022214?vehicle=3253292325) if you want one from the current patch. Anything after 6/04/18 should be on the current patch.

Click the Date Added checkbox to show the dates.

Atak Kat
24-08-2018, 05:10
Hi. The snap oversteer you describe kinda sounds to me like the car is bottoming out. All the high DF and soft suspension would cause the rear to squat a lot and if you have a really low ride height set, it can definitely bottom out and just snap the rear out in turns. You essentially lose all rear tire grip.

Unless I read too fast and missed something, I would suggest to try to increase the ride height at the rear. Check the telemetry HUD when it happens and you'll see if the rear suspension is going red and too low.

I know you said no, but try the wets. Just tell yourself it's a labelling error in the program.