PDA

View Full Version : Change setup without saving?

larsryst
26-08-2018, 08:57
Morning,

is it possible to make and use a setup without saving it every time? I would like to fiddle a bit without having to
either save it over an existing or create a new for every little change I do just for a quick try?

Racing4Life
26-08-2018, 09:13
Quick and Dirty: No

You always need to save the changes or they wont apply. Find yourself a system you can retrace. I personally save a basic setup for a track always named "Car-Track-Number", e.g. "M6GTE-LB-1". If I do major changes its named e.g. "M6-LB-2". If I just do minor changes to check if its working better or worse, they are named e.g. "M6GTE-LB-2a". And if I notice this change worked, the setup gets immetiately saved as "M6GTE-LB-3", and all older ones are deleted. If it doesnt work, I'll delete it at once and reload the last working one. :)

davidt33
26-08-2018, 14:34
Quick and Dirty: No

You always need to save the changes or they wont apply. Find yourself a system you can retrace. I personally save a basic setup for a track always named "Car-Track-Number", e.g. "M6GTE-LB-1". If I do major changes its named e.g. "M6-LB-2". If I just do minor changes to check if its working better or worse, they are named e.g. "M6GTE-LB-2a". And if I notice this change worked, the setup gets immetiately saved as "M6GTE-LB-3", and all older ones are deleted. If it doesnt work, I'll delete it at once and reload the last working one. :)
Yup. I do basically the same procedure, but with "Car name (abbreviated)_1 (or "_2" etc accordingly (Just wish that 1st name field could have included more characters though. My pet peeve.
In the 2nd field below for other description I include track name and tuner name if I got a tune from someone. Otherwise I leave the end description as "Loose" in that field. Fortunately that second field can include more characters which is helpful for reference.

pyrates
26-08-2018, 20:55
Yup. I do basically the same procedure, but with "Car name (abbreviated)_1 (or "_2" etc accordingly (Just wish that 1st name field could have included more characters though. My pet peeve.
In the 2nd field below for other description I include track name and tuner name if I got a tune from someone. Otherwise I leave the end description as "Loose" in that field. Fortunately that second field can include more characters which is helpful for reference.

I wasn't aware you could change the 2nd field as well. :D

Gix916
26-08-2018, 20:58
not an ideal system if you use vr. (unless you can touch type)

i have to make change to setup, remove headphones, remove HMD, put glasses on so I can read screen, type in name for setup,save setup, take glasses off, put HMD on, put headphones on. go drive (and hope I don't need to make any more changes)

even more impossible if you don't have the game mirrored to the monitor.

I mostly just drive default setups now as a result, cos it's a PITA to make changes.

davidt33
26-08-2018, 22:15
I wasn't aware you could change the 2nd field as well. :D
Yeah that second field is the best to include additional data as I mentioned, and can be edited also, with bonus 'cause it hold quite a lot more text for useful reference.

hkraft300
27-08-2018, 06:20
Track_track variation_tire compound (where applicable)_setup #

Tunes on console are car specific, so I can't load an M6 GTLM tune for the M6 GT3, for example.
Some cars I have 2-3 base tunes so each variation is saved 1a/b/c 2a/b/c...
For example Silverstone international will be shortened to:
Silver inter soft 1b
If it's a variation of default it's defa, defb...
Description has track temp the tune is for, fuel consumption in litres/lap, anything else I feel necessary.
I think it's necessary to have tire and track temp related in the tune, so you know you can get away with a softer compound at a warm track or you need a hard compound at a 30℃ track which is not common but can happen in some cases.