PDA

View Full Version : Lotus 49 on the rain - almost impossible to drive - tyres never get enough heat

Hugo Catarino
01-09-2018, 21:57
Hello folks!

One of the best combos (if not the best...) one can run is the Lotus 49 on historic spa on the wet (the more the merrier! :wink-new:). Or any other historical track - monza, silverstone, nords,monaco...you name it.

The thing is, this car is almost impossible to drive after a couple of laps - because the tyre temp drops and there is no way to recover it. In tracks like monaco, silverstone, brands hatch it's not so noticeable, because you can easier keep the temp. But on tracks with long straights like monza or classic spa is just impossible to keep the temp, no matter what tyre pressure or setups i've used.

I do a race in the wet on spa in a somewhat decent way... you call decent having to restart the race one or two times and eventually spun out - but it's totally impossible to go through eau rouge in the second lap (on the first the tyres are warm and there isnt a big problem). The car will either spun out or you go so slow that you get overtaken and/or rammed by the AI.

Has anyone find a way out of this situation?I play PC2 on PS2 with the gamepad DS4

Vic Flange
01-09-2018, 23:31
Drop the tyre pressures REAL low and close up the the brake ducts.

Jrock
02-09-2018, 07:39
I was doing this Race today and had the exact same problem. Was so furious. I tried everything from one extreme to the next. I dropped tire psi to 0.7bar front and rear... tires still pretty much icy cold on lap 2. I increased pressures to 3.2bar, pressures dropped to icy cold on lap 2. Lowered spring rates still no change.. Lowered say bars, still no change.
Cant adjust brake ducts due to the car being an open wheel vintage car.
Heck the closest set of tires i could manage for temps was a set of the Ice tires installed for that wet race(for the record it looks bad ass sitting there with big meaty studded tires lol)
the tires start at high temps but cool down and stay in the green. Problem is the tires lack the highspeed grip in the rain and top speed too much resulting being way off the pace.

Hugo Catarino
02-09-2018, 10:08
My solution to this is to race with vintage tyres.they are more stable on straights,you can accelarate away with much problems (well,kind off...).the problem is on turns.they slide around like knives on butter.so,i turn on the assists.
This results in full wet races.with dynamic wheater you will much slower on dry.The solution could be to pit and change to track tyres.But the AI doesnt pit on the Lotus,so you Will loose a lot of time.
I would love to know a solution that didnt require vintage tyres/assists turned on

hkraft300
02-09-2018, 14:37
Drop the tyre pressures REAL low and close up the the brake ducts.

I would do the opposite: raise tire pressures. Once the track gets wet, it cooles the track and the tires. When the tires cool, the pressure drops. So you want to go from high pressure to good pressure, not low pressure to flat tire.

I would love to know a solution that didnt require vintage tyres/assists turned on

Reduce AI %?

Jrock
02-09-2018, 15:54
Reducing AI% doesn't help the car stay on the road

Hugo Catarino
02-09-2018, 18:22
I did a couple of times,but that doesnt help in keeping the car on the island.besides,what if i want to race in dry?the race becomes to easy then

serano
21-01-2019, 17:10
My solution to this is to race with vintage tyres.they are more stable on straights,you can accelarate away with much problems (well,kind off...).the problem is on turns.they slide around like knives on butter.so,i turn on the assists.
This results in full wet races.with dynamic wheater you will much slower on dry.The solution could be to pit and change to track tyres.But the AI doesnt pit on the Lotus,so you Will loose a lot of time.
I would love to know a solution that didnt require vintage tyres/assists turned on I was doing this Race today and had the exact same problem. Was so furious. I tried everything from one extreme to the next. I dropped tire psi to 0.7bar front and rear... tires still pretty much icy cold on lap 2. I increased pressures to 3.2bar, pressures dropped to icy cold on lap 2. Lowered spring rates still no change.. Lowered say bars, still no change.

blinkngone
21-01-2019, 18:25
You need to use the Alternate(Vintage) tire for rain, the Track tire is for Hot lapping/racing in the dry. Sorry if you already know this.:o At least this is the way it used to be, could have changed in a patch.
You don't have brake ducts so you can try increasing toe, lot of room on toe to adjust. Rear end sliding out increase the rear toe.
Reduce the number of Clutches.
Increase Engine braking.
Hockenheim National. I used Default Loose. I changed to Vintage tires, made the toe and Engine braking changes as well as Clutches, that's it. I tried with Default Clutches but found I could still spin the car during on/off throttle and poor steering angle choices so I reduced the number.

REXPITVIPER1
22-01-2019, 01:04
You need to use the Alternate(Vintage) tire for rain, the Track tire is for Hot lapping/racing in the dry. Sorry if you already know this.:o At least this is the way it used to be, could have changed in a patch.
You don't have brake ducts so you can try increasing toe, lot of room on toe to adjust. Rear end sliding out increase the rear toe.
Reduce the number of Clutches.
Increase Engine braking.
Hockenheim National. I used Default Loose. I changed to Vintage tires, made the toe and Engine braking changes as well as Clutches, that's it. I tried with Default Clutches but found I could still spin the car during on/off throttle and poor steering angle choices so I reduced the number.

thanks for that mini tutorial.

blinkngone
22-01-2019, 01:31
Well, thanks for reading it. I was hoping it would help out serano. Like many others who ask for help and just disappear...