PDA

View Full Version : Penalty System

lottalava
10-09-2018, 18:53
Hello folks, sometimes while racing in multiplayer I receive a notification for Penalty and I must slow the car, even if I didnt crashed to nobody or got out of the track. I really in doubt some times, is to slow the speed because of someone else got in accident? Is some kind of yellow flag?

Regards,
lottalava

Visceral_Syn
10-09-2018, 18:56
You will also get a slow-down penalty if you do not keep all 4 tires inside the white lines.

Stewy32
10-09-2018, 19:00
If you exceed the track limits you will get a slow down warning.

KANETAKER
10-09-2018, 19:04
You will also get a slow-down penalty if you do not keep all 4 tires inside the white lines.

What do you mean? Has there been a change in the last update that just came out today? Did the issue of penalties for exceeding runway limits much more strict? In the sense that if before you had to keep 50% of the car (or 2 wheels) within the limits of track, now it is 100% (the 4 wheels) that must be maintained?

I still have not been able to test the game now with the latest update for being busy at work.

Visceral_Syn
10-09-2018, 19:14
If there is a 50% of the car rule, I never knew it. I've not tested new patch, am at work too. Some sections on some tracks let you put all 4 outside of the white lines. But its positively not everywhere on every track, so I tend to try to keep all 4 within the white lines.

rich1e I
10-09-2018, 19:21
The 50% rule applies to kerbs. If the center of your car is more than 50% over the kerb it's considered as off-track. If I remember correctly for the rest it's at least 1 wheel has to stay within the white lines.
I think the 50% rule is a bit too strict. 75% would be perfect imo.

KANETAKER
10-09-2018, 19:43
The 50% rule applies to kerbs. If the center of your car is more than 50% over the kerb it's considered as off-track. If I remember correctly for the rest it's at least 1 wheel has to stay within the white lines.
I think the 50% rule is a bit too strict. 75% would be perfect imo.

But in itself with the penalty system that existed made it impossible to even pass 2 wheels over some curbs to avoid penalization, imagine if it became much stricter ... the curbs would be completely ADORNO and it would all become very IRREAL, considering that in real life curbs are used a lot in many categories of cars and in ways in which ... if a player applied them within the game he would have been DISQUALIFIED from the race for "exceeding the limits of the track" multiple times in the same race.

In the following video you can clearly see how the cars "exceed" the limits of the track at exactly the same points where within the PCars 2 the penalty system forces you to slow down to avoid being penalized:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBEBY35vhU4

In the video specifically I mean the loopholes and curbs in the curves Mulsane, Porsche, Corvette, and the chicanes in Les Hunaudieres, Ford and Dunlop. Clearly they exceed more than 50% of the car or even place the 4 wheels outside the white line although in some cases they keep 2 wheels inside the curbs and the other 2 wheels off the curbs (stepping on artificial green grass). None received any sanctions in real life.

The same in this case of LeMans 2011 where in one of the aerial shots you can see how the leading race Audi (at the beginning of the video) "cuts" the last chicane previous to the main straight and is not sanctioned. In fact all the cars took that chicane in the same way until 2013, because in 2014 they modified the chicane by raising the inside curb higher so that the cars entered slower and closed to the main straight. Although in the PCars2 the version of the LeMans Circuit corresponds to the one used until 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7Sis5OeiYw

Shinzah
10-09-2018, 20:05
In real life situation there's live stewarding at the course to ensure that the limits being violated are not gaining time - unless you have a league with live stewarding this isn't a luxury afforded by game logic, so it follows the strictest application of the rulebook logic. I don't like it either, but I understand the implementation.

It's very difficult for a game to predict time gained/lost on a per-corner basis WRT laptime and the driving situation of the car. So it's more or less a blanket penalty probably hybrided against an idealized laptime that may or may not be close to your own.

For offline races, shut it off to preserve your sanity. For online races, join a league with live stewardship...for time trial, well, for time trial you're just going to have to live with it.