PDA

View Full Version : Forza Horizon 4 demo is online

Robert
13-09-2018, 11:15
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/forza-horizon-4-demo/9p8cp1l72jxs?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

GrimeyDog
15-09-2018, 20:08
its pretty good too!

Christiaan van Beilen
15-09-2018, 21:52
its pretty good too!

It is but 70 euro for the base game... I'd rather put that towards a new graphics card. Which is well needed with the crazy prices these days, so crazy that it might be the last time I ever will buy PC components.
PC Gaming isn't for kids anymore at least, since there is no way they could afford it with a normal allowance.

GrimeyDog
15-09-2018, 23:58
It is but 70 euro for the base game... I'd rather put that towards a new graphics card. Which is well needed with the crazy prices these days, so crazy that it might be the last time I ever will buy PC components.
PC Gaming isn't for kids anymore at least, since there is no way they could afford it with a normal allowance.

Agree 100% Prices are Insne now days!!! Gaming especially Sim racing is Not for Kids because it can get pricey.
The upside if investing in Sim gear / Games is that I end up saving $$$ in the long run because I have tangible goods/game that I can use/play for years and often would rather stay home and enjoy My set up than to go out which always cost $$$!!! in NY every time I go out it’s a $100.00 or more with nothing left behind but a the bill and lighter pockets:cower: I say do it if you can... to personally enjoy just a tad bit of the spoils from a hard weeks work seems to keep Me focused on why I work hard.

Christiaan van Beilen
16-09-2018, 00:28
Agree 100% Prices are Insne now days!!! Gaming especially Sim racing is Not for Kids because it can get pricey.
The upside if investing in Sim gear / Games is that I end up saving $$$ in the long run because I have tangible goods/game that I can use/play for years and often would rather stay home and enjoy My set up than to go out which always cost $$$!!! in NY every time I go out it’s a $100.00 or more with nothing left behind but a the bill and lighter pockets:cower: I say do it if you can... to personally enjoy just a tad bit of the spoils from a hard weeks work seems to keep Me focused on why I work hard.

If you think about it, just try to assemble a gaming rig that'll last you a decade. You need a Intel CPU because it suits gaming better than AMD Ryzen, which sets you back about €850 for a 9900K, kit of 2 32GB memory... €325 so you have enough but can expand in the future, a motherboard of the Z390 range of around €200 which will get you enough features to be future proof. Than the RTX-2080ti costing €1200 but with the new cores which will no doubt be utilized by games in the future you'll have a future proof card. Than you need a 850W PSU of €100,-. Storage for OS and games in the form of a Samsung 970 1TB M2 SSD of €300.
Which means you still need a solid case, solid cooling for the cpu, legal copy of Windows 10, a game. Of course a wheel, pedals, maybe a shifter (Logitech G29+shifter = €250,- ish) and... if you want to not roll away from your pedals under braking in your office chair... a sim rig.

No normal family would buy that for their kids or give enough allowance to build such a setup. Actually writing this up and going through the prices makes me appreciate what I own a bit more... as in "did I spend that much and more on my setup?!?! I must've been slightly mad pulling those triggers back then", but glad I did. :cool:

Oh yeah, this is about Forza Horizon 4. Ooops! :distant:

GrimeyDog
16-09-2018, 00:53
Agree!!! I spent the same and feel truely blessed that i could afford to be able to do it... Its upgrade time for Me i will do the Mobo and CPU but dont know if i will do the RTX card... Upside is i will take all the Old parts and build a 3rd PC with them so Nothing goes to waste...Im holding out for 9th Gen CPU & Mobo and My upgrade path will be done for a bit once the DD2 gets here in December <--- Hopefully:o

LOL... Yup its about FMH 4 but to really enjoy it these are the things you Need.

FMH 4 is really better than i thought it would be as a matter of fact all the FMH series have been Great fun.

Very Lucky the Wife Fully Supports Me with My Sim Racing Addiction... LOL...

BigDad
16-09-2018, 01:10
If you think about it, just try to assemble a gaming rig that'll last you a decade. You need a Intel CPU because it suits gaming better than AMD Ryzen, which sets you back about €850 for a 9900K, kit of 2 32GB memory... €325 so you have enough but can expand in the future, a motherboard of the Z390 range of around €200 which will get you enough features to be future proof. Than the RTX-2080ti costing €1200 but with the new cores which will no doubt be utilized by games in the future you'll have a future proof card. Than you need a 850W PSU of €100,-. Storage for OS and games in the form of a Samsung 970 1TB M2 SSD of €300.
Which means you still need a solid case, solid cooling for the cpu, legal copy of Windows 10, a game. Of course a wheel, pedals, maybe a shifter (Logitech G29+shifter = €250,- ish) and... if you want to not roll away from your pedals under braking in your office chair... a sim rig.

No normal family would buy that for their kids or give enough allowance to build such a setup. Actually writing this up and going through the prices makes me appreciate what I own a bit more... as in "did I spend that much and more on my setup?!?! I must've been slightly mad pulling those triggers back then", but glad I did. :cool:

Oh yeah, this is about Forza Horizon 4. Ooops! :distant:

Lol to you thinking a RTX 2080Ti will last a decade :p the CPU may but not that GPU !

Christiaan van Beilen
16-09-2018, 02:24
Lol to you thinking a RTX 2080Ti will last a decade :p the CPU may but not that GPU !

I should've said that differently. I meant a solid base that will last a decade. The only thing changed to mine since 2011 is indeed the GPU (GTX480 -> GTX970).

I do know better since I've been building PC's (albeit with dad and under dad's supervision) since I was 6 or 7 years old, and i'm from '86 so I witnessed enough in the mean time. At which point I also started to help out at my primary school as a system administrator as I was the only person with advanced knowledge of computers in the school. Installing and configuring DOS as well as Windows, dealing with IRQ and DMA troubles before the invention of the Plug'n'Play system, and so on. Fun times! :)
Of course that got me labeled as the classic 80's style nerd at school. :rolleyes:

Enough about me, back to building. I always prefer to spend a good amount of cash on the right components that will last me as long as possible, but still are in the realm of "good value for money". On that last one I am at a bit of a loss at the moment with the decay of advancement in technology these days compared to older days. Also not all components that are advertised in reviews as the best value for money at the time, will be the best value for money on the long run. For example at the time of Sandy Bridge reviewers said to go with i5 2500k (4 cores with no hyperthreading) as games wouldn't use hyperthreading, but from experience I knew that games would become more demanding as well as the trend in CPU land being adding more cores and threads. So it was inevitable that developers would go multi-threaded design when it came to how games would harness the full potential of future processing units. So I went with an i7 2600k instead in 2011 (4 cores, 8 threads). Now 7.5 years later the i5 2500k isn't able to keep up as well anymore, but the i7 2600k with its 8 threads is still doing fine.
Even before that when the Geforce 4 came out you had the option of getting a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 with either fast 64MB of ram or slightly slower 128MB of ram. Everyone on advise of the reviewers would go with less but faster ram as that gave them more FPS with the games at the time, but I went with the 128MB version because I knew that textures would become bigger in file size and thus the card would have to swap less with more demanding games later on. Swap between computer memory and graphics card memory that is. Which again payed off in the long run as people with 64MB of memory ended up having to trade in their card for a new one, but I could keep on going for a little while longer.

So the biggest thing to learn here is that you basically have to look at the trend of each component. One thing is that you can never have enough memory. For system memory it's always best to double the size of what is considered the norm at the time that you want to buy your new system. So if 16GB is normal now than go 32GB, and so on.
Same with Ryzen actually now that I think about it. Contrary to what I said earlier, but just look at how much cores and especially threads a CPU has. The more the better, as the more data that you can push through that CPU in one go... the better it is. Same with the Core count on a graphics card basically.

Just as long as it falls in the realm of what you can spare in terms of money for each component, and what seems reasonable. Like if a 2060 produces 60FPS for €500, and a 2070 75fp for €680... it's technically better to go with the 2070 if you can afford it. The performance gain relative to the price increase is higher, if the performance gain was lower than it wouldn't be worth paying extra money for it. Especially a card you'll need to replace in 4-5 years time no matter what (and in the past (1998-2005 ish) in 2 to 3 years time).

OddTimer
16-09-2018, 20:36
It is amazing! Having the choice between 4k and 1080p 60fps no the X is awesome! As a game pass user, I am a happy camper!

GrimeyDog
18-09-2018, 20:20
Arcade or Not i just pre ordered FMH4 its insane Fun!!! The FFB feels Good and Cars Dont Handle Bad at all!!!

On PC So far the FMH 4 Demo @4k its the Best Looking Game out and i get a Constant 60FPS Rain or Shine.

breyzipp
30-09-2018, 12:31
The full game is out now and I got over 10 hours of playtime in it (Ultimate edition early access).

FH2 and FH3 were already fantastic but FH4 for sure takes the franchise to a whole new level. All the new online features are great, Forzathon is nice, the seasons are fantastic, player housing is fun, great music on the radio stations once again, the map itself while not as exotic as Australia was is a whole lot better thanks to improved verticality and soon we will get our own route creator. On top of that, while the game does have wheelspin mechanics, outfits, emotes, chat phrases and what not, all of those are earned via the game itself (in abundance) and Microsoft already announced Microtransactions will be removed from FM7 (and they won't be in FH4 at all). For those who have the XBox game pass, this game will be part of it as well. And for the first time the 2 expansion packs are even included in the ultimate edition instead of having to dish out another 20-30 EUR for that. And of course all that is coming with the expected high level of polish. When you allow the game to carry you on this journey it is an absolutely epic adventure.

I never said this before but I'll hand it out to this title. Not only is it my favorite arcade racing game of all time, it is also my favorite racing game of all time. And it sure is a strong candidate to be even one of my favorite games of all time, but before giving it that title I first need more gaming time. :) (for the record, I think FH2 held the previous title of my favorite racing game of all time).

Ixoye56
02-10-2018, 18:18
I bought it last night, it looks fantastic, and it's very fun to play, this is a winner :applause:

Christiaan van Beilen
02-10-2018, 18:44
I bought it last night, it looks fantastic, and it's very fun to play, this is a winner :applause:

It looks fun but I won't buy it until the sound bug with the SB X-Fi cards gets fixed.

GrimeyDog
05-10-2018, 12:19
Forza H4 indeed is Really Good!!! Its Butter smooth and plays Great in 4k with a Solid 60fps.

Best part the FFB Really Feels Good... it feels very Simultion like in regards to the weight transfer, Bump and Curb feel just cars have Super Arcade Grip.

Its a Insane Amount of Fun!!!

rich1e I
05-10-2018, 13:50
I think Horizon has become the flagship of the Forza series. I think there's no better arcade racer out there. The guys at Playground Games have been doing an incredible job since the first iteration. Really thinking of picking this up. It looks absolutely amazing.

GrimeyDog
05-10-2018, 17:30
I think Horizon has become the flagship of the Forza series. I think there's no better arcade racer out there. The guys at Playground Games have been doing an incredible job since the first iteration. Really thinking of picking this up. It looks absolutely amazing.

I recommend you get it... It Not only looks Great but drives and FFB/ Driving physics feels Great too.

I also suggest getting the Full package so you can enjoy future add on packs ... Expensive yes but i believe it to be worth it in the long run.

milliotseb
05-10-2018, 18:29
I also had a lot of fun on it since the ultimate edition release.
There is some complaints on shared world connectivity issue and online adventures
But this game is so much fun while in single player that it is enough for me (hoping they will correct the multiplayer aspect of it)

Tomorrow I will start to enjoy FH4 autumn

rich1e I
05-10-2018, 18:58
I recommend you get it... It Not only looks Great but drives and FFB/ Driving physics feels Great too.

I also suggest getting the Full package so you can enjoy future add on packs ... Expensive yes but i believe it to be worth it in the long run.

I wouldn't play this on a wheel to be fair. Chase cam and gamepad all the way

GrimeyDog
05-10-2018, 19:24
I wouldn't play this on a wheel to be fair. Chase cam and gamepad all the way

With a wheel/ CSW v2.5 it feels really good No major FFB tweeking either ... I tried it with a controller and it was also enjoyable... I'm gonna do both It's the best of both worlds according to mood and preference.

rich1e I
05-10-2018, 19:36
With a wheel/ CSW v2.5 it feels really good No major FFB tweeking either ... I tried it with a controller and it was also enjoyable... I'm gonna do both It's the best of both worlds according to mood and preference.

I have no doubt the FFB is ok but physics wise it's designed for controllers, just as Forza Motorsport. I also don't know if I could play it in cockpit or hood cam while rushing through forests or doing 300m jumps ^^

breyzipp
06-10-2018, 07:26
I have no doubt the FFB is ok but physics wise it's designed for controllers, just as Forza Motorsport. I also don't know if I could play it in cockpit or hood cam while rushing through forests or doing 300m jumps ^^

Indeed, that is one of the reasons chase cam and a controller work best. Also, most people that did try it with a wheel don’t like the feel of it. Can also be a personal preference of course.

Christiaan van Beilen
06-10-2018, 10:14
Indeed, that is one of the reasons chase cam and a controller work best. Also, most people that did try it with a wheel don’t like the feel of it. Can also be a personal preference of course.

A proper driving game has its FFB based off of the Physics, like in our beloved pCARS. So if the Physics is designed for controllers but the FFB is okay, than this tells me without having driven the game with a wheel (since my rig is broken) that the FFB is an independent system that takes cues from the road surface but not from the simulated Physics of the suspension geometry and tyres together.

It's the same issue/gripe I have with Codemasters games (among others connected to this in relation to CM games). They do exactly that same thing of FFB taking cues from the road surface but not from a simulated system of suspension geometry and tyre physics as in realistic simulators. Codemasters make fun games though and so do T10/Playground Games. I just start to stumble across these developers say they made a realistic racing simulator (like they did with Dirt Rally) and than they can't even get the basics sorted... a proper simulation of Physics and Physics into FFB.

So personally I always choose to play these with a gamepad. It's just the best way to enjoy them in their current state of development. Besides, it's fun to sometimes be a couch potato and just play games the simple way. :)

breyzipp
06-10-2018, 12:12
Besides, it's fun to sometimes be a couch potato and just play games the simple way. :)

Hahaha, I think that best describes my gamer life the past year. :o

rich1e I
06-10-2018, 15:21
It's the same issue/gripe I have with Codemasters games (among others connected to this in relation to CM games). They do exactly that same thing of FFB taking cues from the road surface but not from a simulated system of suspension geometry and tyre physics as in realistic simulators. Codemasters make fun games though and so do T10/Playground Games. I just start to stumble across these developers say they made a realistic racing simulator (like they did with Dirt Rally) and than they can't even get the basics sorted... a proper simulation of Physics and Physics into FFB.

Now, according to former chief game designer Paul Coleman, who uses to be a rally co-driver in RL, DIRT Rally physics were a little bit primitive. It appears that many people think the harder a racing simulation is to drive the more realistic it is, and that's just plain wrong in my view. A race car is designed to make it as easy as possible for the driver to drive as fast as possible, no matter if it's made for circuit racing or rally.

DIRT Rally is so incredibly unforgiving that it wants to kill you for the tiniest mistake you make. I loved and hated it at the same time. I used to watch a lot of WRC and still use to watch it and I must say even DIRT 4, which is said to be less sim (even in sim mode), is more realistic. Prime example are the Sweden stages in DR. The tracks are narrow and as soon as you touch the snow banks your car either spins out or stops. There's no way to save it. Stage ruined, restart again. It's very hard to drive and very rewarding if you get it right but it's not realistic in my view.
It's really hard for me not to be hyped about DIRT Rally 2.0 when I see the latest gameplay. I see improved DIRT Rally physics and the fact that they implement a dynamic track evolution makes me feel like a little child a few days before christmas.

Edit: Here you have the words of Paul Coleman on the so called 'hardcore simmer's' criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-Ts10Jd2Q&frags=pl%2Cwn

Is it off-topic being off-topic in the off-topic section? (:p)

Christiaan van Beilen
06-10-2018, 18:23
Now, according to former chief game designer Paul Coleman, who uses to be a rally co-driver in RL, said that the DIRT Rally physics were a little bit primitive. It appears that many people think the harder a racing simulation is to drive the more realistic it is, and that's just plain wrong in my view. A race car is designed to make it as easy as possible for the driver to drive as fast as possible, no matter if it's made for circuit racing or rally.

DIRT Rally is so incredibly unforgiving that it wants to kill you for the tiniest mistake you make. I loved and hated it at the same time. I used to watch a lot of WRC and still use to watch it and I must say even DIRT 4, which is said to be less sim (even in sim mode), is more realistic. Prime example are the Sweden stages in DR. The track is narrow and soon as you touch the snow banks your car either spins out or stops. There's no way to save it. Stage ruined, restart again. It's very hard to drive and very rewarding if you get it right but it's not realistic in my view.
It's really hard for me not to be hyped about DIRT Rally 2.0 when I see the latest gameplay. I see improved DIRT Rally physics and the fact that they implement a dynamic track evolution makes me feel like a little child a few days before christmas.

Edit: Here you have the words of Paul Coleman on the so called 'hardcore simmer's' criticism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-Ts10Jd2Q&frags=pl%2Cwn

Is it off-topic being off-topic in the off-topic section? (:p)

Can I be quite frank. I'd love for them to show me any core code that has changed in the EGO engine in the last ten years related to either physics or wheel controllers/FFB. These guys say they changed and improved their games each year again and again, but once you get the game it's the same old thing over and over again. Same looks, same physics, same controller setting possibilities and so on. The only thing they change from year to year is merely the figures that are being fed into the EGO engine but the computations (so the core systems) itself haven't changed since the EGO engine was created.

To be frank, it's so unchanged that I am thinking that the original creators of the EGO engine have either moved on to a different business or have passed away leaving not a single shred of documentation on how the behemoth of a game engine works, so nobody can work on the engine anymore at its core level.

Forza is different in this and here you can sense that there have been core changes made to the game, especially if you compare them. Hence I can still get excited for Forza games up to a point, to a point because it's not really my genre. Codemasters have stayed stagnant for over a decade now and it's long past her prime in my opinion.

Also about that dynamic track that you are excited about. This is just simply using available tech. For as far as I can tell the Ego engine creates a road surface in segments along an entire stage, and you can basically say the resolution of the road surface is 10 segments wide and 100 segments long. So if Dirt 2 for example had just 3 segments wide and 25 long segments for a stage, Dirt Rally 2 might now have 10 segments wide and 100 long. The higher the resolution the more dynamic you can make the road surface and create areas of ruts on the driving line and loose surface material areas on the outside of a corner.

Now if you create levels of terrain damage from a "virgin stage" to a "fully roughed up" level, than match up each level with at what position the player starts in the rally trial. Yay... we have mimicked dynamic track evolution with what was already in the game engine since WAAAAAY BACK. Unfortunately since it doesn't change live during a run it also means it won't work in rally cross.

This is also something you don't hear the devs talk about... they say if you start at this and this place during a rally, after which I am yeah... but everyone starts all at once during rally cross and so what about that? What are you hiding? :p

This dynamic terrain of Codemasters is in my opinion a workaround makeshift way of getting closer to Project CARS 2's live track, which works a lot better as seen by how well rally cross in Project CARS 2 was received version Dirt Rally.

breyzipp
11-11-2018, 11:30
Holy.... crap! I'm officially excited!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_zJMeUURQ