PDA

View Full Version : [reported] Pit Stop - 1 litre fuel, time 'cheat'

Richie Padalino
15-09-2018, 11:40
Hello.
Would anyone be able to tell me whether the situation where if you select 1 litre of fuel refuelling, and nothing else in your pit stop has been altered so it takes longer than the normal 1-2 seconds?
Has this been changed so it's now longer than doing 'nothing'?
This would make sense, to be fair, but it would be nice if we're we're told they'd changed it. Patch notes anyone.
I just did it, and it took 8 seconds, rather than the 1-2 it usually takes.

Chawabax
15-09-2018, 13:01
Someone already reported this as "bug solved" in the patch thread

cpcdem
15-09-2018, 13:10
Yeah, http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?64817-PC-Patch-7-0-Discussion-thread&p=1538785&viewfull=1#post1538785

Asturbo
15-09-2018, 13:27
I've tested the first day after patch and with 1L the pit stop was slightly longer than with not fuel load.
But with yesterday in an online race with a light front repair (5% damage), the pit stop was 3.8" (aprox. 1" faster that don't doing anything).

Don't reported ATM, because it was a different car and I need more test to confirm.

Asturbo
16-09-2018, 11:46
I tested a bit more this issue and I have to say that the pit stop logic is still wrong.

Before patch, the minimun pit stop time was arround 5" if you don't do anything, but if you load 1L of fuel the minimun doesn't applies, and only counts the fuel load time. So with 1L the pit stop was 1,5" aprox (you can gain 3,5") versus other that don't do anything.

After the patch they changed the logic and now adding 1L the pit stop takes more time than doing nothing. But I observed two days ago that a player behid me with light repairs, overtook me during the pit stop. So I've made some test to confirm, and as I spected there is another problem:

Doing a pit stop with no tasks: Pit time= 5.6"
Doing a pit stop adding 1L: Pit time= 6.4" (+0.8")
Doing a pit stop for repair 8% front aero damage: Pit time= 2.8" (-2.8")

In the patch they added 5" to the time required to add 1L, and that looks to fix the problem, but they don't added to the repairs, so you can save time repairing if you have a light damage.
In the capture example, you gain 3" in the box repairing an 8% aero damage.

The TRUE fix would be removing the 5" minimum time doing nothing (I don't know why is there). It should be like and stop&go and only with that change, all the previous patch logic would be fine.

cpcdem
16-09-2018, 13:13
So now we will be purposely slightly hitting our cars to a wall before doing our mandatory pitstop, so we can have a slight damage and make the pitstops faster...It was so much better before...

I will also test it myself, but did you try to adjust the strategy, so that you only select damage repair and no fuel/tires, if you have 0 damage, so the crew doesn't have anything to fix, does it become again a 6 second pitstop?

Asturbo
16-09-2018, 14:17
So now we will be purposely slightly hitting our cars to a wall before doing our mandatory pitstop, so we can have a slight damage and make the pitstops faster...It was so much better before...

I will also test it myself, but did you try to adjust the strategy, so that you only select damage repair and no fuel/tires, if you have 0 damage, so the crew doesn't have anything to fix, does it become again a 6 second pitstop?
I think that before patch it happens the same with light damage, but it was easier and faster to hack with 1L. Now that this doesn't work, the option of hit on pourpose you car is a bit risky, because you can fail and make a medium damage and then the pit stop will be longer than the 5".

But if you are in a race with a light damage, you will be faster in the pits if you select repair, because you could save 3-4 seconds. That doesn't make sense.

I made the test with the Ferrar GTE with saved strategies with "no tyres & no fuel", "only 1L", and "only repair". The first one was with repairs activated (but no damage before pitting). I didn't check disabling also repairs but supposed also will be 5" (nothing to do).

I'm convinced that the best option is removing the 5" for doing nothing and probably the easier way to fix the whole problem.

cpcdem
16-09-2018, 14:48
I think that before patch it happens the same with light damage, but it was easier and faster to hack with 1L. Now that this doesn't work, the option of hit on pourpose you car is a bit risky, because you can fail and make a medium damage and then the pit stop will be longer than the 5".

Oh well, we already need to be testing slowdown penalties, in which corners we can safely ignore them and in which they will give us a penalty no matter how much we slow down, testing also how to do minor damage to our car on purpose will not be too much extra bother :)

Asturbo
16-09-2018, 14:56
Oh well, we already need to be testing slowdown penalties
Really? I'm seriously thinking about disabling all the penalty system and use the server logs if somebody abuse of corner cutting. Now the system is unfair with who follow the race director instructions.
Obviuosly you can only do it in private leagues.

cpcdem
16-09-2018, 15:09
Really? I'm serously thinking about disabling all the penalty system and use the server log if somebody abuse of corner cutting. Obviuosly you can only do it in private leagues.

I do not always do it, because it really is sad having to do that, but I regret it, every time I don't. Last week had a race in Dubai, spent more than 30 laps behind the leader being a few tenths behind him, never managed to overtake and we finished like that. A lot of times, he went slightly out of track, I guess he must have taken a few warnings, but never a time penalty apparently, even if he was not slowing down. It was nothing blatant, small off track moments which are extremely common in real races, so no "cheating" at all, just normal racing, but when I did the same thing trying to stay very close to him and overtake in the straight, I did get a slowdown and chickened out, I did serve it, because I knew that if I did end up taking even a one second penalty, it was race over, even if I overtook him there would be no way to gain a second on him, he was fast and would also have the slipstream that I did have till then. If I had practiced penalties, I would had been more confident fighting him at those places...

I agree, the way it is now, the real solution is to disable them and manage them later as you say. But not every league can afford the resources to go through that..

Scott Coffey
16-09-2018, 17:08
I never slow down for penalties. Sometimes the penalty disappears. Sometimes you would have to slow down more than the penalty itself. Given that, why slow down at all?

Since I always race in pick-up races, I would never race in a lobby where penalties are turned off, Turn off penalties and some drivers will straighten every chicane.

cpcdem
16-09-2018, 20:12
I never slow down for penalties. Sometimes the penalty disappears. Sometimes you would have to slow down more than the penalty itself. Given that, why slow down at all?

Because it does not disappear always, it only does that some times. So by not slowing down, you risk getting a time penalty, which ruins your whole race, because it is applied at the end, so other people just wait behind you waiting for the penalty to be applied. While if you do slow down, usually the game ruins "only" your current fight and if you lose only one place, then you have at least the chance later to get it back. But yeah, if I have 5 cars on my tail, I also do not slowdown, in that case better getting that penalty than losing 5 places in one go. I agree about completely disabling penalties is unfortunately not at all an option for regular races.

venquessa
17-09-2018, 07:28
The track limit penalties are sometimes so frustrating I switch them off. I'm not aiming to cheat. However when I get a little oversteer and run the rear end over a kerb a few inches too much and I get "BING!" and am then forced to slow down a HUGE amount it's a bit cheesy.

I get these are meant to stop cheats in online races, but compared to any real motorsport they are set far, far too strict.

Sometimes the penalty is served by the mistake itself, you are slower on the next straight because of the mistake which caused the penalty and it goes away, but sometimes... like running a little wide in Stabalo 1 at Spa can cost you several seconds lifting on the straight.

There are also occurances of "current and next lap" for having a half spin in qualifying when you are not in sector 3.

Hopefully the perpetual "lap invalid due to preceeding sector" bug is fixed as that can be extremely frustrating when it does it lap after lap even though you were clean.

Scott Coffey
17-09-2018, 12:02
Because it does not disappear always, it only does that some times. So by not slowing down, you risk getting a time penalty, which ruins your whole race, because it is applied at the end, so other people just wait behind you waiting for the penalty to be applied. While if you do slow down, usually the game ruins "only" your current fight and if you lose only one place, then you have at least the chance later to get it back. But yeah, if I have 5 cars on my tail, I also do not slowdown, in that case better getting that penalty than losing 5 places in one go. I agree about completely disabling penalties is unfortunately not at all an option for regular races.

How many "other people" are within 1 or 2 seconds of you at finish? In my case, that's fairly rare. I estimate that 1 in 10 races there is a competitor within 1 or 2 seconds of me. Most of the time the gap is much wider. So why slow down if... A: the penalty may disappear. B: there is no one within the penalty range at the finish. Odds are, slowing down does you more harm than good. At least that's what I've found in well over 1,000 online races.

cpcdem
17-09-2018, 12:31
How many "other people" are within 1 or 2 seconds of you at finish? In my case, that's fairly rare. I estimate that 1 in 10 races there is a competitor within 1 or 2 seconds of me. Most of the time the gap is much wider. So why slow down if... A: the penalty may disappear. B: there is no one within the penalty range at the finish. Odds are, slowing down does you more harm than good. At least that's what I've found in well over 1,000 online races.

Yes of course, if you do races where you are a lot faster than other people, so you have (and can create) good gaps to them, I agree it is a lot better to just take the time penalties and just create a good gap till the end so they do not affect you.

But in my case at least, I have practically stopped doing regular public races, can't stand anymore the behavior of many people that even are supposed to be ranked "S", so I am racing in leagues and things there are usually pretty tight, it is very common that even after 20 or so laps we finish 5-6 cars within a few seconds. So a penalty of a couple seconds makes a huge difference... It has become a strategic aspect of managing a race, deciding if and when to serve slowdowns...

Scott Coffey
17-09-2018, 13:27
Yes of course, if you do races where you are a lot faster than other people, so you have (and can create) good gaps to them, I agree it is a lot better to just take the time penalties and just create a good gap till the end so they do not affect you.

But in my case at least, I have practically stopped doing regular public races, can't stand anymore the behavior of many people that even are supposed to be ranked "S", so I am racing in leagues and things there are usually pretty tight, it is very common that even after 20 or so laps we finish 5-6 cars within a few seconds. So a penalty of a couple seconds makes a huge difference... It has become a strategic aspect of managing a race, deciding if and when to serve slowdowns...

Yup, completely understandable in a league environment. I thought it had been a while since I've seen you online. I wish my schedule would allow for league racing, but I reckon I'm stuck with pub racing.

cpcdem
17-09-2018, 13:44
Yup, completely understandable in a league environment. I thought it had been a while since I've seen you online. I wish my schedule would allow for league racing, but I reckon I'm stuck with pub racing.

That's what I thought, too, until I realized there exist probably literally 100s of leagues out there, some of them should suit you. Also people do realize that RL gets in the way some times, so it's usually no problem at all if you miss a couple or a few races, At one point I was taking part in 5 different leagues, even had to unfortunately withdraw from a couple ones that I really wanted to participate in, because their times were conflicting with other league races...

So I am now doing less online races, but much longer ones than in regular multiplayer lobbies, and I am using the rest of my time in the game for practicing and for TT battles :)