PDA

View Full Version : Automatic clutch

Heath82
20-09-2018, 08:42
Hi guys, since i get paddles and th8a, i logically turned off automatic clutch, but i noticed that if i downshift hard i get slip out even with gt3 cars that should have their own automatic clutch since they use paddles. So iím wondering, should i turn on automatic clutch?

Heath82
20-09-2018, 11:18
Hi guys, since i get paddles and th8a, i logically turned off automatic clutch, but i noticed that if i downshift hard i get slip out even with gt3 cars that should have their own automatic clutch since they use paddles. So iím wondering, should i turn on automatic clutch?

I think this is an important question.. itís better missing heel and toe on road cars or slipping out downshifting with race cars?

Sankyo
20-09-2018, 11:27
I'm not sure whether paddle-shifted cars have built-in automatic clutch or that you need to switch on automatic clutch in the controller options, but I think you can derive from the car's behaviour whether that's the case or not.
The rear end locking up and your car starting to spin is because you're downshifting too fast and you hit the rev limiter. Slower downshifting will solve that (and possibly save engine damage in the long run as well).

Heath82
20-09-2018, 11:55
I'm not sure whether paddle-shifted cars have built-in automatic clutch or that you need to switch on automatic clutch in the controller options, but I think you can derive from the car's behaviour whether that's the case or not.
The rear end locking up and your car starting to spin is because you're downshifting too fast and you hit the rev limiter. Slower downshifting will solve that (and possibly save engine damage in the long run as well).

Yeah you are right, but in real life, cars with paddles have an automatic clutch so even if you downshift fast those cars shouldnít spin out! Other simulators like assetto corsa make this difference, even though you disable automatic clutch, race cars donít spin. Project cars doesnít make any difference in fact you could use a th8 even with race cars, but obviously we donít! But I donít mind about because i love project cars, i just would like to know if enabling automatic clutch is better than disabling. I mean i could miss heel and toe and road cars would be far from reality, but on the other hand iíd have real behavior for race cars. My question is: what do yíall advise about?

hkraft300
20-09-2018, 14:32
Paddle shift race cars, in real life, don't have an auto clutch. They also don't use the clutch for shifts, but only moving from a stop.
If you downshift aggressively, the drive wheels experience compression lock. It's not from the shifts, it's the internal resistance from the engine. At 0 throttle, the engine wants to idle @1000rpm but you're up at 7000 after a downshift. The engine tries to slow the rear wheels and adds braking effort, while your brakes are applied = rear wheel lock and oversteer.

PS: I don't use auto clutch for race cars with sequential racing gearboxes. I think the shifts are faster and more predictable.

Heath82
20-09-2018, 14:39
This is what i needed to hear!! I’m gonna leave auto-clutch turned off. Tnx