PDA

View Full Version : Sync to Race Weather and Transition Period

Javaniceday
23-09-2018, 20:11
By now it's well known that the transition period between weather slots is random. The next weather could start at anytime - it will just be on 100% by the time the next weather slot has started. So if its x2 weather transition, and the 2nd slot is light rain, it might start to rain randomly within the 1st half hour, but by the time the 2nd half hour starts, it will be raining as hard as light rain gets.

What happens if you sync to race? Will the transition periods still be random? Anyone know?

Mahjik
23-09-2018, 20:15
Sync to race should make the number of weather slots qual for the race duration. IIRC, it's only available for timed races so it can calculate time but if you have 3 weather slots for a 60 minute race, it should use about 20 minutes per slot. I say about as there is time needed for the transitions between slots.

Javaniceday
23-09-2018, 22:46
Sync to race should make the number of weather slots qual for the race duration. IIRC, it's only available for timed races so it can calculate time but if you have 3 weather slots for a 60 minute race, it should use about 20 minutes per slot. I say about as there is time needed for the transitions between slots.

Cool. But is the transition period still random, as it is when sync to race is not turned on?

Mahjik
23-09-2018, 22:49
Cool. But is the transition period still random, as it is when sync to race is not turned on?

It's not random (at least it didn't use to be). The weather slots are 1 hour slots. Without acceleration a race less than 60 minutes should only use the first slot.

Javaniceday
24-09-2018, 06:57
It's not random (at least it didn't use to be). The weather slots are 1 hour slots. Without acceleration a race less than 60 minutes should only use the first slot.

No no, I'm trying to find a quote, but it's been official for a while. Yes, each slot lasts an hour, or half an hour at x2. That's correct. That's set in stone. But the transition between the two, that is random. So, if slot 1 is clear and slot 2 is rain, it doesn't start raining when slot 1 runs out, at the end of, say, the 1st half hour at x2 weather progression. It blends the two, during the 1st slot, so that when the 2nd slot begins, at the half hour mark, it's full rain. This blending period, when it begins, is random.

That's what I'm asking about. Whether it's still random when sync to race is turned on.

Bealdor
24-09-2018, 07:02
Yes, the weather transition period should still be random with sync to race.

Mahjik
24-09-2018, 13:39
I don't believe it's random. I also don't believe it's a set time. I'll explain...

I believe the weather works like on a line:

Heavy Rain - Rain - Light Rain - Heavy Cloud - Medium Cloud - ec...

From a programming perspective, it seems the easiest way to handle transitions is to have it all on a line. What I'm getting it as that going from light rain to say medium cloud would take less steps than heavy rain to light cloud. The number of steps would determine the transition time. So it's not fixed where it only and always takes say 2 minutes, but it's fixed as in it takes X amount of time to go between steps. The variable is just the number of steps between transitions.