PDA

View Full Version : LMP1 Toyota TS040 - OP ERS?

BrakeCheck101
04-10-2018, 09:48
Was playing PC2 the other night against some mates at Le Mans in the LMP1s.

They were in the Audi and I was in the Toyota, along with someone else. We were all on default setups.

We couldn't help but notice my initial boost out of corners seemed to be better than the Audis. Is there a technical reason for this? I'm very much a noob when it comes to how cars work. Does the Toyota deploy ERS quicker than the Audi?

The default set up also seemed to make my Toyota far more twitchy on the rear than the Audis. I presume that's just a design concept by the Toyota? They wanted to be quicker down the straights and therefore compromised their speed in the corners? Or am I just a terrible driver through the Porsche curves?!

Evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fiJrSro8_U

Pekka Salminen
04-10-2018, 10:13
Toyota and Audi are very different on how they use the energy. 2014 Audi belongs in 2 MJ category, which means it has only 2MJ of electric power over a lap of Le Mans. Toyota on the other hand has 6MJ and more powerful electric motors. This means it can boost longer and with more power.

On the other hand, as Audi has less electric energy to play with, it has more power from it's diesel engine compared to Toyota's petrol engine. It also uses less fuel thanks to being diesel, so refueling takes shorter time during each pitstop. Audi probably has better aerodynamics as well, at least for cornering.

I'm not sure how well balanced they are at the moment though. In the leaderboards Toyota was probably faster, but not sure about it. Might also depend on track.

Edit: And the race in the video was pretty cool :D

BrakeCheck101
04-10-2018, 12:34
Toyota and Audi are very different on how they use the energy. 2014 Audi belongs in 2 MJ category, which means it has only 2MJ of electric power over a lap of Le Mans. Toyota on the other hand has 6MJ and more powerful electric motors. This means it can boost longer and with more power.

On the other hand, as Audi has less electric energy to play with, it has more power from it's diesel engine compared to Toyota's petrol engine. It also uses less fuel thanks to being diesel, so refueling takes shorter time during each pitstop. Audi probably has better aerodynamics as well, at least for cornering.

I'm not sure how well balanced they are at the moment though. In the leaderboards Toyota was probably faster, but not sure about it. Might also depend on track.

Edit: And the race in the video was pretty cool :D

Thanks for that explanation Pekka - that really helps me understand.

So essentially, I guess over one lap the Toyota should be quicker over one lap and that's why it's top of the time trials. But over an endurance race, it's balanced out by the Audi.

Also, thanks for the kind words!

CastrolGT
04-10-2018, 18:29
there really should be a restricted fuel usage per laps. what I want to say from that is, because we don't have a Fuel usage restriction per lap, we can easily brake like in any race cars. IRL, the LMP1 cars are on a restricted fuel per lap. due to that, they lift the throttle around 200m before the braking point. making their stint longer by doing so. in simracing games, we still don't have this feature, which would add a bit more difficulty to manage a race(even a short one). when you drive the Toyota like you would do with any other cars, it is blistering fast and the Audi is already far behind. but when you drive it like the pro drivers do in the FIA WEC, then the TS040 gets a massive loss of speed(for me, I do a 3:14 on Le Mans by driving it like any other cars and 3:21-3:25 by driving it like it shall be driven) and, of course, the R18 gets a way less speed drop due to a different ERS system and a more fuel efficient engine(around 3:20 at Le Mans driving like any other car and 3:22-3:27 for driving it like it should be). so, yes, the TS040 is OP when driving it like a simple game, but driving it like a true simulation does make it like it is IRL. slightly faster, but beatable

BrakeCheck101
05-10-2018, 10:07
there really should be a restricted fuel usage per laps. what I want to say from that is, because we don't have a Fuel usage restriction per lap, we can easily brake like in any race cars. IRL, the LMP1 cars are on a restricted fuel per lap. due to that, they lift the throttle around 200m before the braking point. making their stint longer by doing so. in simracing games, we still don't have this feature, which would add a bit more difficulty to manage a race(even a short one). when you drive the Toyota like you would do with any other cars, it is blistering fast and the Audi is already far behind. but when you drive it like the pro drivers do in the FIA WEC, then the TS040 gets a massive loss of speed(for me, I do a 3:14 on Le Mans by driving it like any other cars and 3:21-3:25 by driving it like it shall be driven) and, of course, the R18 gets a way less speed drop due to a different ERS system and a more fuel efficient engine(around 3:20 at Le Mans driving like any other car and 3:22-3:27 for driving it like it should be). so, yes, the TS040 is OP when driving it like a simple game, but driving it like a true simulation does make it like it is IRL. slightly faster, but beatable

Good point that.

Could be wrong, but ss that not simulated in iRacing?

CastrolGT
05-10-2018, 11:54
nope. it is not even simulated in iRacing. there's absolutely no restricted fuel usage per lap in any simracing game. that's a shame, tho. and if SMS implement it in PC2, they woul've been the very first to implement that

Mahjik
05-10-2018, 13:36
People already complain about the penalty system. That would just be something 99% of the people would either shut off or complain about. Most people only want so much realism.

TheRealShadeR
06-10-2018, 06:17
People already complain about the penalty system. That would just be something 99% of the people would either shut off or complain about. Most people only want so much realism.

People complain about the penalty system because its poorly done, it gives you a slowdown and you dont know how much time it is, also you cant do the real racing lane in some tracks due to penalties.

CastrolGT
06-10-2018, 09:17

people complained about the TS040 being OP when they didn't drove it like it should. the implementation of the restricted fuel usage per lap will teach them to drive fast with fuel saving and show those people that the TS040 is in fact balanced with the other 2014 LMP1 (I'd say all the LMP1. not only the Audi R18) when it is driven like the real divers do

and still, whatever you do, there will always be people that complains about everything you do

so, better be more realistic with just one addition(I know that it's not that easy, I'm not dumb ;) ) than following people that want a car nerfed and make it unrealistic

Mahjik
08-10-2018, 15:33
so, better be more realistic with just one addition(I know that it's not that easy, I'm not dumb ;) ) than following people that want a car nerfed and make it unrealistic

Or the the third option... don't nerf it and don't add in a restriction that only 2% of the population would understand why it's there...