PDA

View Full Version : Best/worst specs when choosing a car

Bishop Black
05-10-2018, 23:20
I'm not a huge car buff, however my understanding is that Acceleration is usually more important than Top Speed (since I believe cars rarely reach their top speed in most races).

So hypothetically, If I was choosing a car from The GT4 class, and the Porsche Cayman has a Top Speed of 183 mph, and an acceleration of 4.09 secs - while the KTM X-Bow GT4 has a Top Speed of 165 mph... but an acceleration of 390 secs, would the X-Bow GT4 be a better choice in most races? Thanks.

chickano
05-10-2018, 23:35
Not necessarily, it's not as straight forward as that I'm afraid. All the acceleration in the world isn't much good if the car has poor traction out of the box. whether the car is any good on the brakes is also very important. Accelertion is only based of 0 - 60, not what happens between 60 and 165 / 183. Other factors such as horsepower, weight / power weight ratio and driveability all play a role in getting around a track. With the tracks, types of corners, lengths of straights, and whether or not it is a hilly or flat track, smooth or bumpy, will favour one car more than another.

You really just need to drive the cars to see how they perform for you and which is better suited to your style to see how you go with them.

Bishop Black
05-10-2018, 23:52
Thanks for the advice on that, just out of curiosity do you have any opinions on best/worst cars in each class, or is their some kind of "tier list" compiled by players?

Smoked_Cheddar
09-10-2018, 15:50
Thanks for the advice on that, just out of curiosity do you have any opinions on best/worst cars in each class, or is their some kind of "tier list" compiled by players?

There are have been plenty of discussions on what is the best cars in each class. GT3 has been done exhaustively. It really comes down to player preference.

I don't do a lot of GT4, so I cannot answer your question directly. I know for me, GT3, the acura I like a lot. I've been starting to like the Mclaren again too.

What may be good in a hot lap may not be good in a longer race too. The best thing you can do is practice and find what works best for you.

Mahjik
09-10-2018, 16:20
So hypothetically, If I was choosing a car from The GT4 class, and the Porsche Cayman has a Top Speed of 183 mph, and an acceleration of 4.09 secs - while the KTM X-Bow GT4 has a Top Speed of 165 mph... but an acceleration of 390 secs, would the X-Bow GT4 be a better choice in most races? Thanks.

It really depends on the series. If the series has a number of tracks with long straights, a car with more overall power will do better. If the series is comprised with mostly smaller and tighter circuits, the lighter car with better acceleration would do better.

If the series are organized well, it will be a balance of both types of tracks so that no single car will have an advantage over the entire series.

Stewy32
09-10-2018, 18:24
For GT4 the Ginetta is generally seen as the best car, followed by the Porsche.

blinkngone
09-10-2018, 19:15
On PC you can compare the TT times for the different cars in class at the same track to give you a rough idea about how each car performs at that track. Consoles should perform similarly to PC.

http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=1952936927&vehicle=1464988033

DECATUR PLAYA
10-10-2018, 19:02
I'm not a huge car buff, however my understanding is that Acceleration is usually more important than Top Speed (since I believe cars rarely reach their top speed in most races).

Best spec to look at is the cars overall weight. The cars overall weight will tell you a lot about how the car is balanced in its class.

Worst spec to look at is the cars top speed. Top speed is relative to the track your racing at and it is also relative to what you know how to do to the car to extract its top speed.

Keena
10-10-2018, 22:40
Drivetrain, gearbox, engine location, peak power, prob in that order for me.

blinkngone
10-10-2018, 23:00
GT4 car weights.

KTM 2524
G55 2535
G86 2590
Cayman 2932
Vantage 3042
BMW 3075
Boss 3384
RTR 3406

A group of us did some testing with the GT4s when the game first game out. The KTM doesn't work, it should work, it is a good car in real life in the US but in the game it is bad. The G86 has a limited power band, so 2 of the lightest cars are horrible. The G55 is possibly best followed by the Cayman and BMW, the Vantage is really good for some people. The Boss has the solid axle and is heavy and the RTR is just too heavy.

Pekka Salminen
11-10-2018, 15:20
Looking at the specs is pretty useless, at least in BOP classes such as GT3, GT4 etc.. Usually cars with best chassis/most downforce have high minimum weight to compensate their otherwise too good performance against other cars. Aston GT3 is good on paper based on reported specs, but is far from the best GT3 car. Then there are exceptions, which are light and fast (BMW Z4 GT3, Ginetta)..

Same goes for engine power, powerful cars are usually worse in turns. And the shape of the power band is as important as peak engine power. GT3 car with around stable 500hp across the optimal rev range is better than a car with 505 hp peak but going linearly from 485 to 505 across the best usable rev range if other features are similar. Then there is the effect of altitude.

As pointed out in previous posts, really the best ways to figure out fastest cars is to look at the time trial leaderboards and testing by yourself which car fits your driving style best. And even then things as tire wear, fuel consumption, adaptation to different conditions, difficulty of creating setups etc. cannot be figured out unless tested in practice :P

r200ti
11-10-2018, 21:04
yeh the spec screen in PC2 looks very much like its for the arcade racers.
It tells us little of a cars ability on track.

But thats the joys of motorsport, and picking a car in PC2.
All those stats have there places and tell a story. But across a lap in random conditions on a random track... to many variables to list useful specs.