PDA

View Full Version : The Bentley physics are really bad

OlivierMDVY
04-11-2018, 20:51
Hello,

Sorry to say that but the GTR3 Bentley's physics are crap.
In a straight line you can give fast wheel turn to the right and the left; the car will not spin...

Urban Chaos 2.0
04-11-2018, 21:00
Hello,

In a straight line you can give fast wheel turn to the right and the left; the car will not spin...

Are you... Are you trolling?

DinoM
04-11-2018, 21:17
Hello,

What? :confused:

Juiced46
04-11-2018, 22:09
Post a video. :cool:

Roel de Meulder
04-11-2018, 23:41
Hello,

*Gives hungry little kitten his milk bottle*

beatrunner
05-11-2018, 04:34
Turn stability and traction controll off and try again

Kriig
05-11-2018, 07:13
I tried that car for the first time last week. The rear comes fast if you're not smooth.

So it will def spin if I try a scandinavian "throw". It's not a rallycar, obviously. :confused:

HockeyNick30
05-11-2018, 11:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMAz-lKxLQ8&t=4590s

Is he talking about this?

OlivierMDVY
05-11-2018, 12:27
If you want to reproduce: in a straight line, full speed, move quickly the wheel to the left, right, left, right, and so on.... the rear won't come.
It is like the car is on rails.
I don't know if the real car behaves like this?

VelvetTorpedo
05-11-2018, 12:33
genuine question:

if you don't know if the real car behaves that way, why claim the game physics are "crap" for an unrealistic situation?

Invincible
05-11-2018, 12:37
genuine question:

if you don't know if the real car behaves that way, why claim the game physics are "crap" for an unrealistic situation?

This. Don't flame on the physics if a) you don't even know whether it is real or not and b) it might as well be due to a really stable and understeery setup.
Not every car will spin, no matter how hard and fast you turn the steering wheel.

Mad Al
05-11-2018, 12:50
If you want to reproduce: in a straight line, full speed, move quickly the wheel to the left, right, left, right, and so on.... the rear won't come.
Then try asking a question, instead of making stupid statements about things that you have no clue about!

Sankyo
05-11-2018, 12:59

With "move quickly the wheel to the left, right, left...", how quickly exactly?

Also, did you check as asked above wether you have driving assists enabled, especially traction and stability control?
And did you do the same test with another comparable car (size, weight, tyres)?

In general: even though I don't approve of some of the reactions above, the problem is that you already jumped to a conclusion (Bentley physics modelling is crap) when you don't know whether maybe it's actually realistic and that your expectations are possibly incorrect, or whether something else is going on (e.g. assists kicking in, your test is not realistic, etc.). So instead of engaging in an open discussion, it's already polarized from the start which usually ends up in heated yes-no-ing instead of (shared) learning.

Urban Chaos 2.0
05-11-2018, 13:38
The problem, principally, is that the kind of people who make the sort of claims the OP has in his first post, are also the kind of people who never, ever, have the slightest damn clue what a car is, how it works, and why it works the way it does. They are people who see/hear things about cars somewhere on TV, acquire dreams about them, and then decide to re-live their fantasies through videogames. Beyond the idea of "cool cars", these people don't bother to learn. They jump into garbage like Assetto Corsa / iRacing, develop an affinity by means of the way the game and community make them feel, and decide that is how things should be. When reality strikes them, they are taken aback.

The OP didn't even say anything about the car's setup, how fast he was going, the conditions of the car and the environment, etc. Nothing. This means: He does not even know how setup affects a vehicle's behaviour. I mean: wtf? Typically, a person who knows so little, will enquire about what is going on, but all too frequently it is the most ignorant and mindless person who will go around bashing something and literally moving from forum to forum and creating fake accounts to do so (as they do). It is an attitude, typical of the kind of person who's display of tremendously asinine stupidity rightfully turns "sim racer" into an insult. Being ignorant is no sin, and there is nothing wrong with having once been misinformed. When however, the misinformed show no desire to be informed, while taking great pride in their shallow understanding, people become jaded towards them, and anticipate such a character from anyone who seems to exhibit the traits of those who are misinformed. RaceDepartment is full of such misinformed people, and the reactions the OP is getting, is due to his portrayal of himself as possibly being one of those people. He very well may not be, but when people see patterns (even just a few), they tend to think: "Here we go again :rolleyes:", lol.

In short: He didn't come across as someone who could actually be reasoned with, judging by his first post. It's judgemental yeah, but people are only going by what they've seen countless times. You don't always have to see the train to know a train is coming.

RyokoMaruyama
05-11-2018, 16:11
Did you turn it like, 90 degrees to the left and right and such? Front tires can't produce that much grip at high speed, you'll just understeer.

No need for the psychology lessons everyone :D

Stewy32
05-11-2018, 17:31

If you keep on turning like that you are just constantly correcting it, so it won't spin.

Juiced46
05-11-2018, 22:00
Ill keep it simple. Post a video with Telemetry on. I need some entertainment tonight.

But like others have already said. The lack of detailed info, setup, assists etc is just going to add to the flaming.

If you truly have a legitimate concern, instead of calling it crap. Describe in detail all of the above.

Or post a video :)

dan2312
05-11-2018, 22:32
Why the hell would you wanna make it spin anyway?:confused:

Juiced46
05-11-2018, 22:48
Why the hell would you wanna make it spin anyway?:confused:

Cuz hez tryin to do dem Hooniganz driftz yo

Azure Flare
06-11-2018, 01:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upkH566o8sc

Default loose setup, with a few tweaks.

Cholton82
06-11-2018, 07:20

Haha , Engineer should say “ Your erratic steering needs sorting , you’ll have to come in “.
This is exactly how it should behave imo , Once that cars unsettled at that speed your on a one way ticket straight to the barrier.

Azure Flare
06-11-2018, 07:40
If you keep on turning like that you are just constantly correcting it, so it won't spin.

Even if you're turning the wheel at a moderate speed, there will eventually be a pendulum effect, and the rear will come around.

Sankyo
06-11-2018, 08:11
Hence my question of how fast the OP was turning his wheel/controller. Because on computer hardware it's easy to turn the virtual steering wheel unrealistically fast, so that nothing will happen as the physical car simply will not/cannot react that fast.

dan2312
06-11-2018, 11:19
The Answer to his problem lies here, Front ARB soft as it can go, Stiffen the rear as far as it would let you, remove all rear downforce, oh and put over inflated Ice tyres on the rear.

im pretty sure the car will spin then.

satco1066
06-11-2018, 13:53
Steering Assistent on ?

Urban Chaos 2.0
06-11-2018, 14:51

As we can all see from this video, the OP's full of s***. See now, why people responded a certain way, Sankyo :rolleyes:?

Sankyo
06-11-2018, 14:54
As we can all see from this video, the OP's full of s***. See now, why people responded a certain way, Sankyo :rolleyes:?
No, because how one reacts is a choice, not somtehing that inevitably follows from what the OP wrote. Even if the OP uses hyperboles, you can still tone down the heat by responding without personal attacks.

Azure Flare
06-11-2018, 15:49
Hence my question of how fast the OP was turning his wheel/controller. Because on computer hardware it's easy to turn the virtual steering wheel unrealistically fast, so that nothing will happen as the physical car simply will not/cannot react that fast.

The only thing we have to go on is what OP says to replicate it, and that is what I did.

Mahjik
06-11-2018, 16:17
The only thing we have to go on is what OP says to replicate it, and that is what I did.

What you did was the proper thing. :yes: What Sankyo is referring to is the harsh comments towards the OP prior to anyone investigating the claim.

Urban Chaos 2.0
06-11-2018, 17:14
What you did was the proper thing. :yes: What Sankyo is referring to is the harsh comments towards the OP prior to anyone investigating the claim.

That's going to happen after being exposed to so much asininely toxic nonsense, haha. Some of it rubs off on you. I don't have any kind of faith when certain claims are made, that the person who made them isn't just another **** peice of **** "simracing" **** with no clue about what the **** he is talking about, and never will.

Man, it seems it's rubbed onto me a bit much. I'll have to start using some strong disinfectant ;).

bmanic
06-11-2018, 17:45

I suspect this being the case. On a controller you can easily go left-right-left-right so fast that the car can't keep up (or goes into immediate massive understeer.. thus plows straight ahead). On a physical steering wheel this is impossible to achieve and thus it spins out just as it should.

.. or controller filtering is so heavy that the super quick left-right-left-right never really gets registered, thus keeping the car going straight.

I've seen people completely misunderstand how a car works and how a controller doesn't represent a steering wheel well. For instance on the GTP forum somebody kept complaining that the cars don't have enough steering lock to take corners, when in fact that is not at all the case. He was simply understeering massively all the time by pegging the controller at too high speeds through every corner.

gregc
06-11-2018, 18:01
Question for the OP - are you using a wheel or gamepad? I can reproduce what he describes, but only using a gamepad on default settings - the speed sensitive steering prevents you from getting enough lock to unsettle the car fully (at least within the confines of the track). If I use my usual SSS setting of 80 I have no problem crashing at all :D

SSS 80:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClJeNFf2-TM

Default SSS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ViHY0FM-7M

These are both on default Stable with TC on.

OlivierMDVY
06-11-2018, 20:52
Question for the OP - are you using a wheel or gamepad? I can reproduce what he describes, but only using a gamepad on default settings - the speed sensitive steering prevents you from getting enough lock to unsettle the car fully (at least within the confines of the track). If I use my usual SSS setting of 80 I have no problem crashing at all :D

SSS 80:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClJeNFf2-TM

Default SSS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ViHY0FM-7M

These are both on default Stable with TC on.

Hello,
Yes I am using a wheel: fanatec csl-e elite + formula one wheel.
The car setup is Loose
TC ON

Azure Flare
06-11-2018, 22:03
Hello,
Yes I am using a wheel: fanatec csl-e elite + formula one wheel.
The car setup is Loose
TC ON

Well, I have proven you wrong then.

Sankyo
07-11-2018, 11:52
I guess that you can still turn a toy wheel back and forth much faster than realistic, but the OP should really show a video of what he's seeing.

Azure Flare
09-11-2018, 10:23
I guess that you can still turn a toy wheel back and forth much faster than realistic, but the OP should really show a video of what he's seeing.

I don't know what your definition of a "toy wheel" is, but I use the same hardware you do. Also, since OP was online yesterday, but still hasn't responded, I think it's safe to say that he knows he's been caught talking BS.

Sankyo
09-11-2018, 10:31
I don't know what your definition of a "toy wheel" is, but I use the same hardware you do.
Expensive toy :)
Plus, if you turn down the FFB strength you can still turn the wheel much quicker than in a real car.

Urban Chaos 2.0
09-11-2018, 19:54
I don't know what your definition of a "toy wheel" is, but I use the same hardware you do. Also, since OP was online yesterday, but still hasn't responded, I think it's safe to say that he knows he's been caught talking BS.

I reiterate my sentiment: OP's full of s***. Not at all a surprising revelation to most of us, I'm sure.

Azure Flare
09-11-2018, 19:59
Expensive toy :)
Plus, if you turn down the FFB strength you can still turn the wheel much quicker than in a real car.

My FFB sits at 100% all the time.

Bealdor
09-11-2018, 21:44
I reiterate my sentiment: OP's full of s***. Not at all a surprising revelation to most of us, I'm sure.

Please stop with the insults Urban. This is not how we communicate here.

Urban Chaos 2.0
09-11-2018, 21:47
I'm just prodding him to respond, haha.