PDA

View Full Version : Is This Guy Cheating?

jesse buckingham
12-11-2018, 09:43
Just thought I'd put this video up to get a few opinions on whether this guy in the yellow car is cheating or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt0T-mEeI4c

cpcdem
12-11-2018, 10:44
It could be the infamous overclock speeding problem. But I think you should include a larger sample, a couple whole laps maybe and also enable the speedometer in the replay, so we can also see your speed to make sure it is already the normal maximum, but he's doing more than that. In first glance, something does not look right, I agree.

satco1066
12-11-2018, 12:48
1. your wheels smoke at start. so he could have better traction at start.
2. i just saw 2 corners, but in both, he took em way better than you and could possibly gain more speed going out of the corner.

Dont't think he is cheating, he's just the better driver ;)

Mahjik
12-11-2018, 13:30
There seems to be a lot of lag, but I would say no.

beatrunner
12-11-2018, 14:02
would it be very obvious when one is using/having that "overclock bug"?

why do I ask? --> most of the times i close my radiators a lot, even when mechanical damage is on. together with very low aero settings and brake ducts closed as much as possible (without locking tires) I find i often have a clear speed and acceleration advantage over lot of other drivers (mostly in GT3). i do sometimes fear people could think of me as beeing a cheater, because even the same cars sometimes just can't drive fast enough to follow me during a race.

so to rephrase my question: is that "speed bug" giving a lot of advantage / are the advantages of a "speed bug victim/cheater" a lot bigger then the speed/acceleration differences one can achieve by using zero radiator and zero downforce (on a straight line) vs. "standard setup"?

cpcdem
12-11-2018, 14:11
would it be very obvious when one is using/having that "overclock bug"?

why do I ask? --> most of the times i close my radiators a lot, even when mechanical damage is on. together with very low aero settings and brake ducts closed as much as possible (without locking tires) I find i often have a clear speed and acceleration advantage over lot of other drivers (mostly in GT3). i do sometimes fear people could think of me as beeing a cheater, because even the same cars sometimes just can't drive fast enough to follow me during a race.

so to rephrase my question: is that "speed bug" giving a lot of advantage / are the advantages of a "speed bug victim/cheater" a lot bigger then the speed/acceleration differences one can achieve by using zero radiator and zero downforce (on a straight line) vs. "standard setup"?

From my tests, completely closed radiators give at max one tenth in long straights. With GT3s (and GTE too I think), low downforce gives another tenth or two. Autoclutch off gives one more tenth max. But in the video, the car in front made a 0.5 sec lead from almost zero in a medium sized straight two times, with the car behind even supposed to have a slip stream and even seemingly getting a better corner exit...

But this is not evidence at all, because very possibly the car in second does not accelerate well, due to very high downforce or many other reasons, including lag related ones, as pointed above. I think it is too little "evidence" provided to make such an accusation.

satco1066
12-11-2018, 14:14
you seem to be on the misunderstanding route of fastening cars by tuning to low downforce.

if you have a well balanced car and push it through the corner, you can gain much more speed and accelleration on corner exit.

The straights on RBR are not long enough for zero downforce faked cars.

Colin McRae quote: Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.

Sankyo
12-11-2018, 14:30
What I seem to remember is that the overclocking speed bug is very obvious, as in many seconds faster over a lap.

cpcdem
12-11-2018, 14:39
Hmm, on closer inspection, he hardly used half the width of the track in T1 but still disappeared into the distance, also in T2 the line didn't seem too good either...Could very well be lag though, showing the car in the wrong place. Or some other issue....more evidence needs to be shown...

beatrunner
12-11-2018, 14:55
you seem to be on the misunderstanding route of fastening cars by tuning to low downforce. if you have a well balanced car and push it through the corner, you can gain much more speed and accelleration on corner exit. The straights on RBR are not long enough for zero downforce faked cars. Colin McRae quote: Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.

really? only thing i know with my "style of driving" in GT3 with the ferrari 488 is the following fact:

- without this "tricks" i am more then happy to lap nürburgring GP in under 02:00/01:59
- with this "tricks" i can do 01:57's...

but maybe this has more to do with me beeing used to have "low downforce - slidey cars thrown into corners"...???

just to be sure i'm not an unknown victim of this "speed bug". is this hardware known to have issues (without any OC on my side?):

- i7 4790@ Stock Settings
- GTX980TI@ Stock Settings

Vic Flange
12-11-2018, 14:57
Looks nothing more than a faster setup to me. He is very fast on the straights but having to brake early.

Charger
12-11-2018, 15:37
I will play devils advocate here and say that this does look like the old speed bug, the acceleration is a bit OT and the glitching looks familiar, as to whether he is cheating then it's not cheating if you don't know you have it, he could be completely oblivious and just think he's fast.

As said you would need to record a couple of laps to be conclusive, up to 5 secs a lap on the fastest driver is not without reach with it to be honest but we also don't know how fast the OP is for reference.

The acceleration is the key and no amount of a good set up will give you that much in such a short run.

satco1066
12-11-2018, 21:04
really? only thing i know with my "style of driving" in GT3 with the ferrari 488 is the following fact:

- without this "tricks" i am more then happy to lap nürburgring GP in under 02:00/01:59
- with this "tricks" i can do 01:57's...

but maybe this has more to do with me beeing used to have "low downforce - slidey cars thrown into corners"...???

just to be sure i'm not an unknown victim of this "speed bug". is this hardware known to have issues (without any OC on my side?):

- i7 4790@ Stock Settings
- GTX980TI@ Stock Settings

no, i didn't push you. just didn't see that you're not the op.
But you can see the driver behind is the one that cannot go smooth through the corner, he brakes to late to not go too wide. He is too wide an then way to slow on exit.
Thats all.
Either he is not an experienced driver or he has the wrong setup, mainly to low grip or both.

cpcdem
12-11-2018, 23:13
no, i didn't push you. just didn't see that you're not the op.
But you can see the driver behind is the one that cannot go smooth through the corner, he brakes to late to not go too wide. He is too wide an then way to slow on exit.
Thats all.
Either he is not an experienced driver or he has the wrong setup, mainly to low grip or both.

Look at the car in first position in turn 1. He used a completely wrong line as was in the middle of the track before turning, he did not hit the apex, far from it, he barely used the width of the track even on exit, from all this he should be carrying a lot less than optimal speed through the corner and have a bad exit speed, but still he disappeared into the distance with a 0.7 sec lead at the straight.

Again, it could be lag, or maybe the car in 2nd made the corner even worse than that or the car in 2nd could have a very very bad setup or an issue with the car, so more evidence is needed, but with what we have so far, something is really not looking right here.

wesker6664
13-11-2018, 08:32
If the 2nd car driver doesn't have any input problems (like throttle not fully depressed, or brake pedal slightly engaged) than the acceleration of the 1st car looks indeed a bit suspect... high DF vs low DF don't give such huge differences in those short straights usually.

Voodoochild
13-11-2018, 09:52
imho it's just (a lot of) lag, and the uneven acceleration (and weaves) is result of the netcode struggling to correctly geolocate the car

PostBox981
13-11-2018, 10:39
I´m a bit more with Satco here. P2 driver misses the apex twice plus accelerates on that astroturfish stuff so it could well be that P2 driver is not accelerating very well. With P1 driver also missing the apex it is really hard to come to a valid conclusion.

beetes_juice
13-11-2018, 13:26
Look at the car in first position in turn 1. He used a completely wrong line as was in the middle of the track before turning, he did not hit the apex, far from it, he barely used the width of the track even on exit, from all this he should be carrying a lot less than optimal speed through the corner and have a bad exit speed, but still he disappeared into the distance with a 0.7 sec lead at the straight.

Again, it could be lag, or maybe the car in 2nd made the corner even worse than that or the car in 2nd could have a very very bad setup or an issue with the car, so more evidence is needed, but with what we have so far, something is really not looking right here.

And the 2nd straight he takes another horrible line in the previous corner and pulls another .5-.7 on the car behind. From what we have, I can't see how anyone is negating this to lag or LD vs HD - two of the same cars, the acceleration is absurd in the car out front, something is suspect.

Mahjik
13-11-2018, 13:47
Just play the game. Does it really matter at the end of the day if someone is cheating? We just had this with the very quick female driver in the MP section. If people want to cheat, let them. People have cheated in MP ever since MP was a thing. This video is way too laggy to make any real judgements. If you can't see how laggy the session is, then you haven't watched too many PC2 MP videos.

Mad Al
13-11-2018, 14:16
Just play the game. Does it really matter at the end of the day if someone is cheating? We just had this with the very quick female driver in the MP section. If people want to cheat, let them. People have cheated in MP ever since MP was a thing. This video is way too laggy to make any real judgements. If you can't see how laggy the session is, then you haven't watched too many PC2 MP videos.

Strangely enough, people also try to cheat in the real world... used to annoy the crap out of me that, people on production motorcycles, pressed the starter button when the rules were, that you had to push and bump start the machine (yes, I raced that long ago!)

Mahjik
13-11-2018, 14:30
Strangely enough, people also try to cheat in the real world... used to annoy the crap out of me that, people on production motorcycles, pressed the starter button when the rules were, that you had to push and bump start the machine (yes, I raced that long ago!)

Yep. I see it in racing as well (power to weight classing where it's not possible to have dynos at every race unless it's a full professional race). If people get their rocks off cheating, so be it. ;)

Mahjik
13-11-2018, 18:52
Going forward, we will be shutting down all "Is this person cheating" threads. We already disallow posting about griefers, and this will be along the same lines.