PDA

View Full Version : Turn table physics? Help?

nhraracer
29-11-2018, 00:40
Ok. I've had this game for a while now on pc and xbox one x. Been messing with it for basically the first time since i got it. First i have to say it seems like it could be a very good game. But..... Is it in the tune that it seems like in a turn if the car starts to slip at all it's like your on a turn table with NO chance to recover? It seems very similar to physics of iracing! Any help here appreciated! Thanks

Twinz
29-11-2018, 02:50
What wheel are you using?

I thought PC2 was unnecessarily harsh with its physics until I got a wheel with good FFB. When I upgraded from my old DFGT wheel to the Fanatec CSL elite, PC2 really improved for me.

Sankyo
29-11-2018, 07:21
Ok. I've had this game for a while now on pc and xbox one x. Been messing with it for basically the first time since i got it. First i have to say it seems like it could be a very good game. But..... Is it in the tune that it seems like in a turn if the car starts to slip at all it's like your on a turn table with NO chance to recover? It seems very similar to physics of iracing! Any help here appreciated! Thanks

What car, what tyres, what track, what conditions, warm or cold tyres?

This can happen to some cars more than to others, but also very much depending on the actual situation and what you did. Some cars are no problem to recover unless you really mess it up, others are more sensitive at least on the (default on PC) loose set-up. Usually this behaviour can be improved a great deal in the car's set-up, though you can't expect miracles if you're on cold hard slicks on a cold track, for example.

Pekka Salminen
29-11-2018, 09:55

IMO the slides are often too easy to recover, even (at least with GT3, GTE and LMP2 cars, especially on hard tires). However, FFB setup is in a big role how easy the slides are to catch. Bad setup can make it much more hard than it should be.

As Sankyo said, correct tires are important. Hard tires in a cold track will not heat up to optimal temps, usually not even close, and remains very slippery. On the other hand soft tires might overheat in long slides, losing grip quickly. At that point the slides becomes harder to catch. Actually thinking about it, Softs in GT3 and GTE cars indeed feels a little like iRacing.

beatrunner
29-11-2018, 11:30
...never use “automatic tire selection“ but choose them yourself.

DECATUR PLAYA
29-11-2018, 14:52

If your really just starting out I would suggest investing some time into your input settings. Whether it be be controller or wheel or another input device PCars really gives you many options to make the game cater to you as a driver. Setting up your driving device can go a long ways towards making the driving experience feel right.

nhraracer
29-11-2018, 22:33
Thanks for the response. I was on Zolder with the Mustang gt4 car. I have a Fanatec csw v2 and v3 pedals. At present i just don't see any way to recover from one of these slides. I'm not a "pro", but i can get into the top 10 percent of leaderboards. I do admit that i might be somewhat over driving the car as i just don't have a lot of time to play and i start last in races at 80 ai. I don't have time to do qualifying session so i start last. I also use whatever setup the car has. I wish i had more time to play more.

Sankyo
30-11-2018, 07:15
Thanks for the response. I was on Zolder with the Mustang gt4 car. I have a Fanatec csw v2 and v3 pedals. At present i just don't see any way to recover from one of these slides. I'm not a "pro", but i can get into the top 10 percent of leaderboards. I do admit that i might be somewhat over driving the car as i just don't have a lot of time to play and i start last in races at 80 ai. I don't have time to do qualifying session so i start last. I also use whatever setup the car has. I wish i had more time to play more.

Don't GT4 cars start on cold tyres in races?

Bealdor
30-11-2018, 07:29
Don't GT4 cars start on cold tyres in races?

No car starts on cold tires in the race sessions.

cpcdem
30-11-2018, 09:33
...but from what I remember when I tried it, the Mustang was a very twitchy car to drive. I wold start with one of the others, the KTM for example.

MrTulip
01-12-2018, 10:00
I finished GT4 career in PCARS2 with Mustang and it is what cpcdem said; the Mustang is a slippery one compared to others, and so is Aston Martin.

If you don't want to go advanced with the custom FFB settings (and tweaking to no end), it helps quite a bit to just select 'Informative' as the type of FFB. It emphasizes on tyre slip and grip and helps with the corrections to the steering. It usually starts correcting the slide all on its own before you even realize that the back end has started sliding.

If it sometimes feels odd at the start of the session, too stiff and too much centering to it, do a couple of laps to see if it gets evened out. It does this for me, and it probably has something to do with the settling of the tyre pressures.

Bealdor
01-12-2018, 10:43
It's not the settling tire pressures. Informative and immerse presets use auto scaling.

cpcdem
01-12-2018, 12:43
It's not the settling tire pressures. Informative and immerse presets use auto scaling.

Can you please elaborate, what does that mean? FFB auto adjusts itself after some time? Because something along those lines could explain what I am feeling as well, having the wheel heavy at some sessions and light at others (with the same car).

Bealdor
01-12-2018, 13:09
Exactly that. If your FFB clips, the auto scaling feature tones it down while you're driving.

cpcdem
01-12-2018, 13:20
Exactly that. If your FFB clips, the auto scaling feature tones it down while you're driving.

Ah ok, thanks! But in my case, I don't think I am clipping, I already have it very low, below 20 in the volume. But still some times I start a race or other session and it's "heavy" enough, then the next session it might be very light. Maybe it's a related bug, maybe the game sometimes tones it down even when it is not needed to do so.

Bealdor
01-12-2018, 14:43
I'm pretty sure it also upscales your FFB if the forces are very low.
I don't wanna rule out a bug but the varying forces at session start could be related to the amount t of adjustments the scaler made in the session before.

cpcdem
01-12-2018, 16:28
I'm pretty sure it also upscales your FFB if the forces are very low.
I don't wanna rule out a bug but the varying forces at session start could be related to the amount t of adjustments the scaler made in the session before.

Ahhh, that might be it then! Maybe it sees my volume is low and some times it upscales it, sometimes not, so I see this variable behavior. But why? The options allow me to put the volume in such detail (1 steps from 1 to 100) but then autoscales it, when it *thinks* it's not right? Please, let me judge this for myself...Anyway, thanks a lot for the info, I will start testing with the other flavors, maybe those will give a more consistent behavior for me.

nhraracer
01-12-2018, 17:37
I made some progress. Not sure if i just got used to the Stang physics or it was where i updated firmware and driver for my wheel, but i got through the Zolder race. lol. I also fussed with the ffb and it a much more enjoyable game with just that being done! I can feel the car skidding and when the car looses grip in braking now! Thanks for all the input everyone!

em_t_hed
04-12-2018, 21:30

1. Slow down for the turn in a proper fashion
2. release the brake more slowly
3. press on accelerator at same time you release brake (also slowly)

BUT if you don't want to correct your driving (because we're all gods at driving in this game)

then you're more than most likely hitting a Rake of +/- 1.0 during your braking and because the car body is at rake +/- 1.0 it is perfectly balanced on all 4 wheels evenly. Meaning it becomes like a 'Carousel'. (like the name of the turn on Nordschleife!) LITERALLY! i mean it LITERALLY!

It means learn to control your car during braking when it's at rake +/- 1.0 because it's what allows you to be maneuverable while having your foot on the brake at the same time. Slowing down AND maneuverability!

JUST SLOW DOWN FOR THE TURN!

Zaskarspants
05-12-2018, 10:43
Ahhh, that might be it then! Maybe it sees my volume is low and some times it upscales it, sometimes not, so I see this variable behavior. But why? The options allow me to put the volume in such detail (1 steps from 1 to 100) but then autoscales it, when it *thinks* it's not right? Please, let me judge this for myself...Anyway, thanks a lot for the info, I will start testing with the other flavors, maybe those will give a more consistent behavior for me.

That auto scaling put me off the informative flavour and I find raw more predictable. Using raw may help with kerb sensation too by giving a more consistent kerb feel effect.

cpcdem
07-12-2018, 12:13
That auto scaling put me off the informative flavour and I find raw more predictable. Using raw may help with kerb sensation too by giving a more consistent kerb feel effect.

Excellent advice! I had never used Raw before, because it was suggested previously that this is for high end wheels and not for the G29 that I use. But I tried it last night for the first time and it felt fantastic, consistent and actually the most intuitive FFB I have ever felt in PCARS! Could be placebo, but I felt it made me a little faster, too...Many thanks!

Zaskarspants
07-12-2018, 12:58
Excellent advice! I had never used Raw before, because it was suggested previously that this is for high end wheels and not for the G29 that I use. But I tried it last night for the first time and it felt fantastic, consistent and actually the most intuitive FFB I have ever felt in PCARS! Could be placebo, but I felt it made me a little faster, too...Many thanks!

Same here, for months after launch I was on informative and running just clipping levels of ffb thinking that was making best use of my wheel. I now find raw with just the first three bars of the ffb monitor showing force gives a much more clarity and texture. Glad to help out.