PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Travel Flashing Red

Red Leader
08-12-2018, 17:11
Can someone explain what causes the travel bar and travel icon to flash red in the telemetry HUD?

Is it supposed to flash red only after the car hits 0.0 cm height and returns to a non-zero value? Or is it just an indicator that the suspension is being stressed more than normal.

Haven't been able to figure this out. The image attached shows both flashing red but the height and travel are both well over 0.0 cm.

Thanks for any help.

ShneebnaMRR108
08-12-2018, 18:27
I would be MORE concerned about the massive amount of FFB you got displayed there on the bottom left widget.

Try to adjust the FFB so it looks a little more like the above.

Red Leader
08-12-2018, 18:45
I would be MORE concerned about the massive amount of FFB you got displayed there on the bottom left widget.

Try to adjust the FFB so it looks a little more like the above.

Sure, but I haven't really noticed an issue with it feel-wise. My question is more about setup tuning and the UI.

ShneebnaMRR108
09-12-2018, 18:05
Brief flashes of red in the travel most likely indicate you are sometimes bottoming out, from soft of springs, and/or low ride height. You could try adding 2mm of Bump Stops, or raise ride height and/or stiffen springs. With those three options you should be able to minimize the red flashes. That looks like T1 at WG GP, so yeah, we all have this same issue.

Then, re-calibrate your wheel and pedals in game and set up your FFB to a nominal setting until you get used to it, then fine tweak it per car and track to your liking. Maybe start with RAW/100/40/45/25. If you indicate what wheel you have, maybe we can suggest some additional settings more suited for your specific wheel.

Red Leader
09-12-2018, 19:20
Brief flashes of red in the travel most likely indicate you are sometimes bottoming out, from soft of springs, and/or low ride height. You could try adding 2mm of Bump Stops, or raise ride height and/or stiffen springs. With those three options you should be able to minimize the red flashes. That looks like T1 at WG GP, so yeah, we all have this same issue.

Then, re-calibrate your wheel and pedals in game and set up your FFB to a nominal setting until you get used to it, then fine tweak it per car and track to your liking. Maybe start with RAW/100/40/45/25. If you indicate what wheel you have, maybe we can suggest some additional settings more suited for your specific wheel.

Absolutely, I agree that's what is supposed to happen.
In this case I zero'd the bump-stops to remove them as a variable, but the travel bar can flash red even when the height and travel are well over 0.0 cm (like in the image).
Looking for an answer for that particular condition or if it should just be ignored if you're not bottomed-out.

Starting to think it only flashes red after-the-fact and not during: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi2E3tPCMdQ

ShneebnaMRR108
10-12-2018, 19:51
I watched the You Tube and I actually don't get what you were trying to show. If you want to see if the car is bottoming out, just view in rear 3rd person on track, and if it hits the ground you will see sparks, and you should hear some scrapping sound, and possibly a drop off in speed, or some effect in handling. If you're trying to figure out why a game does this or that, you are just wasting time that could be spent driving. Just add some BS, RH, and or SPR.

cpcdem
10-12-2018, 20:47
I think he's only asking what the red flashing means, what the game wants to indicate with that flashing. Does it mean the car is bottoming out at the moment of the flash? Does it mean there's very high speed suspension movement? Does it mean something else? I am also puzzled what's the indication while watching the video...

gotdirt410sprintcar
11-12-2018, 01:23
And take some advise from the others your wheel is got too be clipping like crazy that's what that red bar is meant for just saying good luck.

Atak Kat
11-12-2018, 05:01
In my mind, I always assumed that the suspension can hit it's end or full compression, even if the car is not physically bottoming out. So in your case, I'm assuming that the red flashing is due to the suspension being fully compressed. Not the same as car physically touching the tarmac.
Maybe the word TRAVEL goes red when it's like that?
Maybe the word HEIGHT goes red if the car physically ends up touching the tarmac?

Not 100% on that. But maybe?

Sankyo
11-12-2018, 09:32
Sure, but I haven't really noticed an issue with it feel-wise.
The problem is not that you haven't felt an issue, the problem is that with the FFB clipping like that you're really not feeling anything that you should be feeling through the wheel...

ShneebnaMRR108
12-12-2018, 00:05
If you were use an Analysis Tool, you could see what Ride Height you're actually at. It can also show you the FFT of your spring travel. Or, just listen to and feel your car.

Red Leader
12-12-2018, 17:13
I watched the You Tube and I actually don't get what you were trying to show. If you want to see if the car is bottoming out, just view in rear 3rd person on track, and if it hits the ground you will see sparks, and you should hear some scrapping sound, and possibly a drop off in speed, or some effect in handling. If you're trying to figure out why a game does this or that, you are just wasting time that could be spent driving. Just add some BS, RH, and or SPR.

So at 0:02-0:07 the rear left is clearly bottomed-out at 0.0 cm. Nothing is flashing red (image 1)
Only after the height returns to a non-zero value does the bar flash red (image 2). In the video's case, a height greater than 1.0 cm.

The same thing occurs at 0:18, this time with the scraping sounds.

Just looking for clarification on what exactly the telemetry means by that.

Is it dangerously fast suspension travel? Is it modeling a recovery?
Why doesn't the height bar flash red when the height is 0.0 cm?

It's always been unclear to me what the game means.

Image 1

Image 2

ShneebnaMRR108
13-12-2018, 03:57
It possibly could relate to several things that happen, I'm not sure. But the fact that you heard scrapping.... that's a real indication that's hard to ignore.