PDA

View Full Version : Ford Focus RS driving help

cbrown119
11-01-2019, 15:54
Hi,

I'm having a hell of a time driving this car. It drives like it's a boat - no grip at all. Very hard to control and when braking, I'm all over the place.

Isn't it AWD? It doesn't feel like it. It's the only car that totally kicks my butt. The other stock tunes are great, maybe this one was forgotten???

I've been using SMS circuit tune using Nurburgring GP mostly and some various other tunes but without much success.

I "could" use add additional driving aids, but I don't feel that is the right way to go about it.

It seems like the car is meant to "power slide" into turns - is that how it is supposed to be driven? That's not really my style of driving - that might be where I'm failing.

What do you think?

Thanks

Mahjik
11-01-2019, 18:01
I will say that the real car, is one of the worst track cars I've ever been in (in stock form). The Focus ST is much better in stock form for a racing track. The RS, and I've been in several on race tracks, just plows (understeers) constantly.

That being said, the RX I found to be more tame than the Audi RX. What are you using for controls?

cbrown119
11-01-2019, 18:55
I will say that the real car, is one of the worst track cars I've ever been in (in stock form). The Focus ST is much better in stock form for a racing track. The RS, and I've been in several on race tracks, just plows (understeers) constantly.

That being said, the RX I found to be more tame than the Audi RX. What are you using for controls?

Hi Mahjik,

Thanks for the reply.

Good to know about your experience with the RS. I drive the ST (2010) in real life, and it handles nothing like the RS in PC2, but I haven't tried the RS IRL. Just curious now....Do you think PC2 does a good representation of the real car and how it handles?

I'm using a controller, btw.

When I first tried PC2 a couple years ago, my first race I used the RS.....OMG, it was NOT a very good experience. I couldn't hold it in a straight line and was doing circles all over the place! I basically shelved that car up until recently hoping the updates made it an easier drive. Well, I guess all the updates in the world wouldn't help if the car handles like you say.

I like the ST. Too bad that one isn't in the game.

I guess I'll stick with the Mustangs..... which is not a bad thing at all.

blinkngone
11-01-2019, 19:50
Hi, I guess you have already tried running kentduc's pad setup? What the top 3 guys did mostly was put all the toe to 0. Going to 0 on rear toe could allow the rear to side a little more than the Default 0.4. Not many changes to the top 3 setups. For braking you might try increasing the Engine Braking to it's maximum of 2 from Default of 1. No one has tried this but it might help you. Hey, I remember you from the Ford Capri back in March of 2018.:) With all the updates it might be better for you now. Back then we thought a 2:06 plus at Road America was spectacular. With all the improvements with the patches the WR is now 2:03.620. The Ford Mustang Cobra TA was slowed top speed wise in the latest patch but is still a beast.

cbrown119
11-01-2019, 20:05
Hi, I guess you have already tried running kentduc's pad setup? What the top 3 guys did mostly was put all the toe to 0. Going to 0 on rear toe could allow the rear to side a little more than the Default 0.4. Not many changes to the top 3 setups. For braking you might try increasing the Engine Braking to it's maximum of 2 from Default of 1. No one has tried this but it might help you. Hey, I remember you from the Ford Capri back in March of 2018.:) With all the updates it might be better for you now. The Ford Mustang Cobra TA was slowed top speed wise in the latest patch but is still a beast.

I remember you, too!

and Yes, that's me again! Yes that Capri was a tough one to handle...Glad you helped me with that one and remember me on top of that!

I haven't tried basically anything besides the SMS circuit tune with less fuel.....I'll look at what you suggest. Thanks

Mahjik
11-01-2019, 20:10
It's been a while since I used that car, but I'll give it a whirl later today and see if I can suggest some other setup changes outside of blinkngone's recommendations.

blinkngone
11-01-2019, 20:17
It's been a while since I used that car, but I'll give it a whirl later today and see if I can suggest some other setup changes outside of blinkngone's recommendations.

Thanks Mahjik! It's not a real popular car because of the issues. EDIT: I don't know why they decided to remove the -0.2 front toe as well as the rear toe.

blinkngone
11-01-2019, 20:29
I remember you, too!

and Yes, that's me again! Yes that Capri was a tough one to handle...Glad you helped me with that one and remember me on top of that!

I haven't tried basically anything besides the SMS circuit tune with less fuel.....I'll look at what you suggest. Thanks

Welcome back Charlie! I think you will be happy with all the improvements SMS has made along with the help of the community as well.

blinkngone
11-01-2019, 20:40
Well I'll be. Mad Al just made a Default pad run for reference.:D Thanks.

Mad Al
11-01-2019, 20:51

Yeah, thought I'd just give it a quick whirl, as I didn't seem to remember thinking it was that bad... definitely a little on the point and squirt side, but then the RX car tyres aren't that high on grip, but they are nicely progressive (which I think is more important)

blinkngone
11-01-2019, 21:08
Thank you. The Megane And the Merc have around 700 TT runs each but the Focus doesn't even show up on the alternative Leaderboard. EDIT: Nevermind the Focus is really popular, over 2,000 runs I was looking to low.:o

cpcdem
11-01-2019, 21:11
Thanks Mahjik! It's not a real popular car because of the issues. EDIT: I don't know why they decided to remove the -0.2 front toe as well as the rear toe.

A lot of people do that, put zero toe in both front and rear. Not sure, but I suspect it's another remnant from the PCARS1 days (like brake ducts), I think it was faster doing that in PCARS1 and people do that now also in PCARS2. In Monza with GT3s I think I had seen a small speed improvement doing that indeed, but it was something like 2 tenths or so and only in such an extreme track.

blinkngone
11-01-2019, 21:31
A lot of people do that, put zero toe in both front and rear. Not sure, but I suspect it's another remnant from the PCARS1 days (like brake ducts), I think it was faster doing that in PCARS1 and people do that now also in PCARS2. In Monza with GT3s I think I had seen a small speed improvement doing that indeed, but it was something like 2 tenths or so and only in such an extreme track.

Ok, that was the only run The WR holder has made with the RX so you could be right. The guy in 2nd ran the RX twice. I checked more tracks, Liakitos at Monza didn't change the toe so you are probably right about the new people. Meh, now I know less.:p Decay and Chicken Legs ran 0.0 toe at Red Bull Ring GP.:dejection:

Laguna Seca, WR no change to toe, 2nd 0.0. Watkins Glen GP, 1st and 2nd 0.0 toe.

gregc
11-01-2019, 21:56

Have another one, lol :)

Not a car I think I've tried before, on the lively side to say the least but a lot of fun :D

blinkngone
11-01-2019, 22:01
Have another one, lol :)

Not a car I think I've tried before, on the lively side to say the least but a lot of fun :D

Thanks Greg! I am confused about the toe changes. Thanks for joining in! Who doesn't want to help Charlie Brown besides Lucy?:)

gregc
11-01-2019, 23:23
This was so much fun (albeit in a slightly masochistic way) that I had to take another run at it...

http://youtu.be/AaBSskMwYRs

Default circuit setup, speed sensitive steering at 80 (uaual 75 is a little too twitchy with this car!), all other pad settings at default.

blinkngone
11-01-2019, 23:28
This was so much fun (albeit in a slightly masochistic way) that I had to take another run at it...

http://youtu.be/AaBSskMwYRs

Default circuit setup, speed sensitive steering at 80 (uaual 75 is a little too twitchy with this car!), all other pad settings at default.

Cool greg!:cool: Over a second improvement. Hopefully your video will help cbrown as well.

gregc
11-01-2019, 23:30
Cool greg!:cool: Over a second improvement. Hopefully your video will help cbrown as well.

That's the idea :)

Mahjik
12-01-2019, 02:33
I find the car a pushy (understeering) with the circuit setup. Although, I'm not surprised. I would dial down the understeer for the circuit but that could make things more odd with a controller.

blinkngone
12-01-2019, 08:24
I find the car a pushy (understeering) with the circuit setup. Although, I'm not surprised. I would dial down the understeer for the circuit but that could make things more odd with a controller.

Ok, thanks. Any idea about the toe changes?

Mahjik
12-01-2019, 16:25
The toe setting in those small increments likely do little to nothing on those cars since they are AWD. Toe settings have more effect when the cars are either FWD or RWD. I haven't tested it, but I would wager than a little toe out on the front would be better for this car but I'm wagering it will be hardly noticeable.

cpcdem
12-01-2019, 17:52
I have not touched the RX cars, because I am not into dirt racing, drifting etc at all, but just gave this a try and it is insane fun :). I agree, very oversteery, needs to be thrown into corners and then use only the throttle to rotate it..And yes, for the braking, need to start braking at least 50% earlier than used to with other cars. But with some practice I took #1!

How you guys can possibly handle it with a gamepad is beyond me, with all that counter steering it needs..But at least with a wheel it is very fun (no idea if it is also realistic or not), now I know what I will be doing in the next days in time trial :)

blinkngone
12-01-2019, 18:09
I have not touched the RX cars, because I am not into dirt racing, drifting etc at all, but just gave this a try and it is insane fun :). I agree, very oversteery, needs to be thrown into corners and then use only the throttle to rotate it..And yes, for the braking, need to start braking at least 50% earlier than used to with other cars. But with some practice I took #1!

How you guys can possibly handle it with a gamepad is beyond me, with all that counter steering it needs..But at least with a wheel it is very fun (no idea if it is also realistic or not), now I know what I will be doing in the next days in time trial :)

What?! I don't even have to ask you anymore, just pique your interest and you're hooked.:)

cbrown119
12-01-2019, 22:06
WOW!!!

That's all I can say about the help and suggestions you all are giving. I figured I'd get a couple replies - but 3 PAGES of trials, testing, videos...on a Focus?!? You people are great!

THANK YOU, everyone. It's going to take a days to try these out.

hasslemoff
14-01-2019, 20:46
Hi,

I'm having a hell of a time driving this car. It drives like it's a boat - no grip at all. Very hard to control and when braking, I'm all over the place.

Isn't it AWD? It doesn't feel like it. It's the only car that totally kicks my butt. The other stock tunes are great, maybe this one was forgotten???

I've been using SMS circuit tune using Nurburgring GP mostly and some various other tunes but without much success.

I "could" use add additional driving aids, but I don't feel that is the right way to go about it.

It seems like the car is meant to "power slide" into turns - is that how it is supposed to be driven? That's not really my style of driving - that might be where I'm failing.

What do you think?

Thanks

It is a bit of a handfull on a track, I had a quick go as i've not drove them on a track before and the stock tune is not to bad, dont know what it feels like with a controller though

You really have to get the braking right and use the brake to get the back end out a bit then get on the throttle to get it pointing the right way so you can get the power down, some corner around Nurb Gp need a slide some need to be smooth.

I have a video of my 2:00.489 lap ran with the stock tune, there was a couple of scrappy corners but hopefully it should give you some help.

http://youtu.be/FwY5_-KAED4

blinkngone
14-01-2019, 21:29
Thanks! Yesterday he was able to improve by a second and a half from where he started.

blinkngone
17-01-2019, 12:39
He's making more progress. Just 0.698 behind gregc now.:D Oops, that's 1.698.

Mad Al
19-01-2019, 10:05
He's making more progress. Just 0.698 behind gregc now.:D Oops, that's 1.698.

Once he's caught Greg, he can then target the next second chasing my fresh pad wielding ghost (as I overwrote my old time using a wheel and VR, I thought I'd better set another time with a pad in pancake mode ;))

blinkngone
19-01-2019, 11:06
Yeah I had noticed you making additional runs. He's made a lot of progress but he's not ready to bang heads with either Mad AL or Allen. :) Maybe he will make more progress this weekend.

blinkngone
19-01-2019, 11:17
Hey Mad Al, if you have time could you follow his Ghost? Maybe see where you could give him some pointers?

Mad Al
19-01-2019, 12:07
Hey Mad Al, if you have time could you follow his Ghost? Maybe see where you could give him some pointers?

Mostly just smoothing things out and make more use of the full track width, there are a couple of places where he ran wide where he looks to have braked a little late, and tried to turn in too quickly when still on the brakes and so over rotating the car on entry. If he runs with the timing on, turn it off.. and concentrate on just looking at being smooth, using the whole track and getting good flowing lines.. lap times will come.

blinkngone
19-01-2019, 12:36
Yeah, I watched it as well, seems his major issue is with late braking, locking up and sliding. If he works on the Mercedes Arena he can really improve, mostly running wide through here in 2 and 3 while on the brakes, over braking and losing time. Nice slide job through 6/7.:D But sliding is usually slower. Too much braking entering 12 costing him speed on the straight, more work in the braking zone at the NGK chicane.

cbrown119
29-01-2019, 15:49
How the hell did you guys do this?!? to see this visually...well brings back some memories of my coloring book days - never could stay within the lines.

cpcdem
29-01-2019, 16:00
You mean the route drawn inside the track lines? I'm pretty sure this is computer generated :)

blinkngone
29-01-2019, 16:05
Yeah that is the racing line I found through Google, definitely not hand drawn.
Some tracks I can only find racing lines like this.

blinkngone
29-01-2019, 16:52
Since you have an advantage being on PC just load up a few of the top Ghosts in TT and use Chase cam in the replay. The fast guys usually know the best lines to take. You can get an idea of their braking points as well by watching their taillights.
Which curbing is safe to use, which curbing to avoid because it might spin you out or suck you off track.