PDA

View Full Version : Oddly Not Working-Fanatec CSW v2.5, Pedals v3 or Handbrake v1.5

Wayfarer9
15-01-2019, 04:33
Hey everyone!

I wish I started my first post here with more then a difficulty question! And I am very sorry if this is posted already. Lead me there, because I couldn't track it down with keywords, and I'm in a time crunch! Read below to see why… :sour:

My Fanatec Kit (setup) had been working GREAT till storing it for a few months, All pieces worked with Dirt Rally. You can Fast Forward to the main issue below at ===
The list of goodies;

Xbox One
ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5,
ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for Xbox One,
ClubSport Pedals V3 USA,
ClubSport Wheel Rim GT Forza Motorsport,
ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5 (have Not used this yet)
HandBrake v1.5
and a not so new HP laptop I bought to literally do updates on this wheel setup, since I'm a MAC user (I know, I'm getting fed up with some of MAC stuff but it's what I know)

I have updated to most recent as of a few weeks ago (or so) the firmware. Although I noticed that there was nothing I could find to check the Handbrake. I can't recall what I did to check or map when I tried the handbrake.

Fast forward to driving the Dirt Rally, Handbrake is a NO GO right now and thats Killer in Rally (worked many months ago). I don't know how to locate it in the game except to "map the button" in controller settings, but game would not recognize there either.

I was hoping to practice on "project cars game of the year edition" at willow springs because I have tickets to drive the Ferrari 488 GTB and Lamborghini Huracan there in 4 weeks! So this is kinda important to get my game working again :cool: Oh and Getting the Rally games working all the way is important too since I did sign up for DirtFish Rally Driving School in Washington for 2 Days Professional training for fun.

=== "Project Cars - Game of the year edition"
=When starting to drive, nothing works except the "Xbox Home Button".
=Other buttons that are Recognized only in the menus; Well actually all of them, plus The "funky Button" depress and side clicks, BUT the Paddle shifter, and pedals ARE usable in the menu only… Handbrake is still a NO.
:dejection: So the wheel is working here, but not for driving.
=I do use the wireless controller to start the game and for the headphones, the same as in Dirt Rally (works fine, but No Handbrake), and using the wireless controller is how I used it so long ago with Handbrake working.

Oh help me wise one! I posted the Handbrake question to Fanatec, and have No response yet.

inthebagbud
15-01-2019, 04:59
My suggestion would be to reset the in game wheel assignments back to default, this is done on the page that lists your wheel. I had an issue where my left paddle would not work even if I assigned it and the reset cured this.

If this doesn't work check in the fanatec controller software that all inputs are working and that you have latest firmware and drivers installed.

Juiced46
15-01-2019, 22:11
Also, if the above mentioned does not work.

Update the wheel base firmware with No rim or hub attached. Then install the firmware for those after. Install the 311 firmware that is available on the Fanatec site. Do not install the beta firmware when it prompts you that it is avail when you turn on the Fanatec PC software. Once firmware updates are done. Open the PC software and you can check to make sure all buttons, peddles, shifter etc is functioning prior to hooking it back to the Xbox.

Sankyo
16-01-2019, 11:43
Install the 311 firmware that is available on the Fanatec site.
311 is not firmware, it's a driver. Please try and use the proper terms or it will get confusing very quickly for people... :)

Wayfarer9
22-01-2019, 16:53
Hey guys,
I checked the "Fanatec Wheel Properties" program on my laptop and it says "FwV 474", and "DrV 311". I open the Fanatec Wheel Base Updater as well and updated the base alone, then double checked with the wheel mounted back in the quick release. Still no difference with the game allowing me to drive.
When I use the "Wheel Base Properties" Program to check the functions, and all buttons, pedals, wheel turning, display test, rumble test ALL Do function... except the Handbrake. Like I mentioned above, I can use all buttons in the Xbox 1 menus but when its race time, Everything stops working and only the "f unky Button" works... well actually I think the one of the Letter Character buttons works for Gas, maybe others. I can check if somebody thinks it will help diagnose.

--Questions, or strange problems--
-I have in my mind that there was a separate program that could check the function of the Handbrake... Is there? or does the "Base Property Checker" also check the Handbrake?
-If I remove the Wheel via the quick release hub while the unit is on, then I have to reset the wheel and base through the Pc Laptop and these programs. I'm not sure if it is the same when unit is turned off. The base goes from Green light at the power button to Red and stops working in the game. Not sure i this helps, but its mostly annoying and lame. Plus some friends are little more full figured and like a race, the removable wheel make getting in and out easier.
-I tried "remapping buttons" in the game, but to no avail. Especially Handbrake.
-I thought there was another program to set the functions or limits for Fanatec products in the PC, before I use them for my Xbox 1. Thoughts?
-Is there a way to check handbrake electronic function to rule that out? Looks like a potentiometer, and I have a nice Multimeter. Does anyone know the factory Resistance numbers so I can check?
-Could the Pedals have something to do with the Handbrake since that is the Circuit Board I am running it through? That is the same location I used when the handbrake did function.

I am very familiar with most things that are mechanical or electronic, but I'm not familiar with PC's or Games.
Thanx Inthebagbud, and Juiced46, and Sankyo! I really appreciate this help

Juiced46
22-01-2019, 22:44
Thanx Inthebagbud, and Juiced46, and Sankyo! I really appreciate this help

I have no experience with the handbrake. However, when being used with Xbox, I am almost certain the handbrake needs to be plugged in to the "PEDAL" port on the base itself and not the pedals. An adapter should have come with the shifter. So you run your wire from your pedals and your handbrake to the adapter, then plug the adapter into the base in the "PEDAL" port.

This is from Fanatecs site "The ClubSport Handbrake V1.5 can be used on gaming consoles in games that support analog handbrakes, if connected through a Fanatec Wheel Base/Racing Wheel. Please check the information on the product page of the Fanatec product through which it will be connected to the console. It will not work on consoles using the ClubSport USB Adapter.
"

If that is already how you have it. I would start removing stuff by the process of elimination. Shut off base. Plug only the pedals into the base and see if the pedals work in game. Then add in the handbrake. Maybe its a bad wire or adapter?

When you are in PC2, have you tried to calibrate the pedals in game? If so, does it recognize all pedals in game during the calibration process?

I think I had an issue once where I did not calibrate the clutch pedal even though I have it hooked up (because I do not use it) and the pedals did not work properly.

Do you have any other USB devices connected to the Xbox? If so, maybe unplug them or try plugging the wheel base to a different USB port on the Xbox.

The Fanatec PC properties software should also show handbrake functions.

Wayfarer9
27-01-2019, 04:15
Hey there Juiced46,
I double checked the manual, the handbrake does plug into the pedals. Theres no location for it in the CSW v2.5. I hoped we had it figured :(

-Is there a way to upload images without going through another website? I have not done this yet in forums.

-Handbrake test #1- going through laptop with "fanatic USB pedals Properties" to test and check functions. These are running driver 311 Beta, and Firmware 1.30. I went through Firmware updater again to retry it with No success. It "verified Running", "erase/program/verify completed successfully", "device successfully reset", "Update successful". It was happy, but it still didn't show the handbrake at all, and still No functional Driving Use in Project Cars.

-Handbrake test #2- I did some deeper checking with my multimeter on the potentiometer. There are 3 wires terminals and heres the resistance of each at rest, than full pull. Hope it doesn't throw everyone off, my digital meter was jumping up and down a little even without touching something. I have found that it still gives me a range to work with, so it should tell us if my setup is Totally out of whack! This is looking down the Handle towards the back of the female plug and from the removed cover side. 2 terminals Across from each other stay the same at 9.48 ohms. The left term and center 5.2 at rest, 10.3 Full pull. Left and center 7.2 at rest, 2.0 full pull.

-Handbrake test #3- Using that Pedal Properties test program in the laptop I tested all functions of Pedals and All checked out fine. No handbrake function though, but weird thing is that a tiny amount of the Blue Bar at the bottom Showed up. The small Blue Bar went away when I placed a small amount of pressure on the wire going from Handbrake to the backside of the pedals when applied at the USB end under the pedals!

-Handbrake test #4- Going to do when I get home, disconnect the handbrake (like you mentioned:) ) and test system in the game again. Been super swamped at work and no time to even work on this. :upset: That would tell me that it is causing a glitch (maybe) with Project Cars and No function in the game, but working when in the menu since the handbrake does nothing for menu functions (to my knowledge)

I saw there is "remapping button" option, I will check tonight where there is another option for calibration. Or better yet, where would I look for calibration?

I don't have anything else plugged into the USB's in the Xbox 1, I do have the USB going to the Fanatec setup via a USB Extension since In my space I can't get them close without everything getting in the way. After trying the above tests with No change, I will place the Xbox close and direct with Fanatec supplied USB. I also am using all factory supplied power adapters and cords except that one extension.

Thanx a mill!

Juiced46
27-01-2019, 14:08
Hey there Juiced46,
I double checked the manual, the handbrake does plug into the pedals. Theres no location for it in the CSW v2.5. I hoped we had it figured :(

-Is there a way to upload images without going through another website? I have not done this yet in forums.

-Handbrake test #1- going through laptop with "fanatic USB pedals Properties" to test and check functions. These are running driver 311 Beta, and Firmware 1.30. I went through Firmware updater again to retry it with No success. It "verified Running", "erase/program/verify completed successfully", "device successfully reset", "Update successful". It was happy, but it still didn't show the handbrake at all, and still No functional Driving Use in Project Cars.

-Handbrake test #2- I did some deeper checking with my multimeter on the potentiometer. There are 3 wires terminals and heres the resistance of each at rest, than full pull. Hope it doesn't throw everyone off, my digital meter was jumping up and down a little even without touching something. I have found that it still gives me a range to work with, so it should tell us if my setup is Totally out of whack! This is looking down the Handle towards the back of the female plug and from the removed cover side. 2 terminals Across from each other stay the same at 9.48 ohms. The left term and center 5.2 at rest, 10.3 Full pull. Left and center 7.2 at rest, 2.0 full pull.

-Handbrake test #3- Using that Pedal Properties test program in the laptop I tested all functions of Pedals and All checked out fine. No handbrake function though, but weird thing is that a tiny amount of the Blue Bar at the bottom Showed up. The small Blue Bar went away when I placed a small amount of pressure on the wire going from Handbrake to the backside of the pedals when applied at the USB end under the pedals!

-Handbrake test #4- Going to do when I get home, disconnect the handbrake (like you mentioned:) ) and test system in the game again. Been super swamped at work and no time to even work on this. :upset: That would tell me that it is causing a glitch (maybe) with Project Cars and No function in the game, but working when in the menu since the handbrake does nothing for menu functions (to my knowledge)

I saw there is "remapping button" option, I will check tonight where there is another option for calibration. Or better yet, where would I look for calibration?

I don't have anything else plugged into the USB's in the Xbox 1, I do have the USB going to the Fanatec setup via a USB Extension since In my space I can't get them close without everything getting in the way. After trying the above tests with No change, I will place the Xbox close and direct with Fanatec supplied USB. I also am using all factory supplied power adapters and cords except that one extension.

Thanx a mill!

Yes you can upload pictures to the site directly. Click Reply to thread, then go to advanced. Scroll down you will see "manage attachments" Click that. Upload all files to there, click insert then done and it will load them to the reply.

As far as the connection, like I said, i do not have a handbrake, so I am going solely off the manual. I see 2 ways to connect it for the Xbox. The way you have it now, Handbrake to the "handbrake" port on your pedals OR your handbrake should have came with a splitter. You connect the splitter to the PEDAL port on the wheel base itself. Then you connect the pedals and handbrake to that. You can try that also.(my interpretation makes me believe that was is ok as well for console)

If no handbrake is showing in the PC software, something is not right. Maybe the module on the pedals is bad or a bad connection. The resistance change when wiggling the wire is suspect, but it all depends on how much it fluctuates, it may be normal. It sounds like your handbrake is working properly juding by your resistance measurements. You can also try to connect the handbrake DIRECTLY to the pedal port on the wheel base then see if it shows in the PC software(leave pedals disconnected to test this). If it does, that would make me believe the issue is with the module attached to the pedals that you are plugging into.

Have you tried updating the Pedals Firmware WITHOUT the base connected to it? Connect the handbrake to it first, then do a pedal firmware update not connected to the base and retest. Your PC software should be showing the handbrake for sure. You can test the pedals/handbrake alone in the PC software without being connected to the wheelbase.

Sankyo
28-01-2019, 08:35

In the Fanatec Control Panel on a PC the handbrake should show full signal output. If it doesn't, double-check connection to pedals and on the handbrake itself. If you wiggle the plug going into the handbrake a little, there should be no signal jumps visible in the Fanatec Control Panel.

If it's still not working, contact Fanatec Support.